• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given my Series S will be hooked up to a 1080p tv anyway, 900/60 is absolutely fine by me.

To me, these consoles are only a stopgap anyway for another couple of years or so until we know just how serious MS are about the idea of incremental upgrades. If they're upgrading the Series S/X to the Series 2S/2X in 2023 or sooner, then any lack of 4K/60 won't be a problem for long.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
People with Series S preorder should probably think about upgrading to a X.
Mid to late gen will be rouuuughhhh.

Believe me, people who are interested are very aware resolution/graphical effects may be hit, but in my case I don't care because at least look like Series S will have similar performance than to Series X. In the worst case, I kinda expect 720p games someday, but at least they will be still next-gen and with decent performance.

He says this because 1080p TVs are already phased out and 85+% of people are going to have a 4k tv by 2023. I don't know how familiar you are with the upscaling tech but 720p looks like absolute garbage on a 4k screen, it literally has to magically create nearly 90% of its pixels from the other 10%. This is going to be exponentially worse with the upscaling tech on the cheap $200-300 dollar TVs that people that are likely to buy series S are most likely to have.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah series S is definitely a mistake and will hold things back, but 900p for a new console in 2020 isn't acceptable

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Given my Series S will be hooked up to a 1080p tv anyway, 900/60 is absolutely fine by me.

To me, these consoles are only a stopgap anyway for another couple of years or so until we know just how serious MS are about the idea of incremental upgrades. If they're upgrading the Series S/X to the Series 2S/2X in 2023 or sooner, then any lack of 4K/60 won't be a problem for long.
It seems absolutley ludicrous to expect people that are buying a "budget console" to try and save 100 bucks will be able to fork up 300 dollars more in 3 years for a new console.

Anyone buying a series S in 2020 for financial reasons is making a serious mistake, unless they truly plan to not buy a 4k tv or a new console within the next 4 years at all. if you expect to have that much money soon then why tf are you making so many compromises to save on 100 bucks??

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It seems absolutley ludicrous to expect people that are buying a "budget console" to try and save 100 bucks will be able to fork up 300 dollar more in 3 years for a new console.

Anyone buying a series S in 2020 for financial reasons is making a serious mistake, unless they truly plan to not buy a 4k tv or a new console within the next 4 years at all. if you expect to have that much money soon than why tf are you making so many compromises to save on 100 bucks??
100% agree, people should (if they can) save the extra $200 for a couple of months and buy the series X.

To be quite honest, I fully expect RT to be completely missing from most of the games on it; which in my opinion will be the biggest game changer next gen.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah series S is definitely a mistake and will hold things back, but 900p for a new console in 2020 isn't acceptable

It's going to be interesting how low the resolution ends up going on some of these games when real next gen games start getting made. 540p?

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems absolutley ludicrous to expect people that are buying a "budget console" to try and save 100 bucks will be able to fork up 300 dollars more in 3 years for a new console.

Anyone buying a series S in 2020 for financial reasons is making a serious mistake, unless they truly plan to not buy a 4k tv or a new console within the next 4 years at all. if you expect to have that much money soon then why tf are you making so many compromises to save on 100 bucks??

1. Because the big exclusives aren't due to hit for another couple of years anyway.

2. I'm getting a PS5 already, this gives me an opportunity to have at least some level of next gen performance on the Xbox side.

3. It's hooked up to the TV in the bedroom which is 1080p anyway.

4. You're not forking out $300 more in 3 years if you're using all access.

If MS are really serious about incremental upgrades and are genuinely looking to put out a brand new box around the time all of their studios projects come to fruition, then investing in a Series X could be the biggest false economy ever. We don't know though, so we need to wait and see.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty impressive.

The Dragon engine did chug on the PS4 Pro when I played Yakuza 6

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Just Yakuza being Yakuza. At this point I'm more disappointed the studio couldn't get their engine to run better on next-gen than I am in the specs of the console lol.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Shape is a good compromise to throw this as a secondary tv/light gaming console or for the kids.

Kids don't need 12tf 4kg monster @500 usd.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
2. I'm getting a PS5 already, this gives me an opportunity to have at least some level of next gen performance on the Xbox side.
Shape is a good compromise to throw this as a secondary tv/light gaming console or for the kids.

Kids don't need 12tf 4kg monster @500 usd.

This is true, its an excellent option for a second console, or a console to combine with pc.

As a sole player though its clearly subpar.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
100% agree, people should (if they can) save the extra $200 for a couple of months and buy the series X.

To be quite honest, I fully expect RT to be completely missing from most of the games on it; which in my opinion will be the biggest game changer next gen.

honestly if finances are this thight you can't save up $200 to upgrade to an X i wonder why you want to buy a next gen console at launch (that has no real exclusives) anyway. makes no sense to me. especially with the S having no disc drive.

even if i planned to keep playing on a 1080p for years and only play game pass games i think the performance upgrades are worth waiting and saving up a bit.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
honestly if finances are this thight you can't save up $200 to upgrade to an X i wonder why you want to buy a next gen console at launch (that has no real exclusives) anyway. makes no sense to me. especially with the S having no disc drive.

even if i planned to keep playing on a 1080p for years and only play game pass games i think the performance upgrades are worth waiting and saving up a bit.
What truly boggles my mind are the people "upgrading" from a One X by preordering a Series S. Just... why?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What truly boggles my mind are the people "upgrading" from a One X by preordering a Series S. Just... why?

I mean, if we use Yakuza 7 as an example (which seems apt considering the thread), the Series S is a clear upgrade over the One X? You're locked at 1080p on One X/PS4 Pro. The Series S gets 1440p.

How is that not an upgrade? Not to mention a next gen exclusive 60fps performance mode and SSD loading times.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we use Yakuza 7 as an example (which seems apt considering the thread), the Series S is a clear upgrade over the One X? You're locked at 1080p on One X/PS4 Pro. The Series S gets 1440p.

How is that not an upgrade?
would you consider that a generational upgrade? I certainly wouldn't.

going from 1080p to 1440p is the absolute bare minimum I would expect.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
would you consider that a generational upgrade? I certainly wouldn't.

going from 1080p to 1440p is the absolute bare minimum I would expect.

For £249, the same price as the One S? £100 cheaper than the One X and PS4 Pro? Yeah, sure. It's a 1440p machine. Why are you buying it if 1440p is the bare minimum you'd expect.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The S will be fine. The Yakuza games are hardly an indication of well optimised next gen games.

But please, lets not let a moment of forethought get in the way of FUD.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
For a Yakuza fan like me, a Dragon Engine game at 60fps sound like a great deal.

It will feel fucking weird to play a Yakuza game on Xbox but I will get it on XSX, not waiting till March to play on PS5.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I hope this isn't a peak at what Series S will do and that games perform 1080p/60 bare minimum, it is about time after calling these the "HD" consoles. I'm exited about Series S but this + no drive and a SSD that could be 3XXGB doesn't look enticing at all. But I'm glad that even the base console has a performance mode, every game should have it now.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

I mean ... one of those two consoles will get games for the next 5 to 7 years .. the other has already been discontinued ..

Also, to play the devils advocate (while I am also somewhat disappointed they couldn't reach 1080p/60), the 30 FPS mode runs at 1440p. A notable upgrade from the PS4 Pro or Xbox X.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
For £249, the same price as the One S? £100 cheaper than the One X and PS4 Pro? Yeah, sure. It's a 1440p machine. Why are you buying it if 1440p is the bare minimum you'd expect.
We've already discussed this on this very page. The series s affordability doesn't justify its performance.
I don't want to get in a feedback loop of "its so bad" -> "but its cheap" ->"but its so so bad who cares if its that cheap?" -> "no shit its bad its cheap"

How is that not an upgrade? Not to mention a next gen exclusive 60fps performance mode and SSD loading times.
And I seriously can't believe you're justifying someone spending 300 dollars to upgrade from a one x to a series s. Like you're earnestly trying to say that this a worthwhile upgrade.

Again, this is what boggles my mind.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
I mean ... one of those two consoles will get games for the next 5 to 7 years .. the other has already been discontinued ..

Also, to play the devils advocate (while I am also somewhat disappointed they couldn't reach 1080p/60), the 30 FPS mode runs at 1440p. A notable upgrade from the PS4 Pro or Xbox X.
I really don't know how I can explain any more simply that upgrading from a console that will still be supported for the next few years to a barely more powerful console for 300 dollars the day it releases, with no new games, is a bad idea.

Like I don't know how else to pose it, who cares if the one x has been discontinued, why is that reason to buy a series s instead of series x???

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Like I don't know how else to pose it, who cares if the one x has been discontinued, why is that reason to buy a series s instead of series x???

5f0.jpg

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
We've already discussed this on this very page. The series s affordability doesn't justify its performance.
I don't want to get in a feedback loop of "its so bad" -> "but its cheap" ->"but its so so bad who cares if its that cheap?" -> "no shit its bad its cheap"

And I seriously can't believe you're justifying someone spending 300 dollars to upgrade from a one x to a series s. Like you're earnestly trying to say that this a worthwhile upgrade.

It's a worthwhile upgrade because sooner or later, last gen (One X) pathetic Jaguar CPU won't be supported.

So the choice is: do you have money? Go Series X. Do you not have enough? Series S.

We are in a global pandemic after all.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

i don't think there are many people like that actually, you would be moving from the best performing console last gen to worst for next gen.
doesn't seem like they cater to same demographic.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know how I can explain any more simply that upgrading from a console that will still be supported for the next few years to a barely more powerful console for 300 dollars the day it releases, with no new games, is a bad idea.

I understand what you're saying, but the way you're wording it makes it sound like the Series S is just another XBO variant, but it's a whole new generation of console.

Yakuza 7 doesn't seem like it's using much (or any) or the heavily advertised Velocity Architecture. No VRS, no RT, no Direct ML (their version of DLSS) etc.

Once those features (especially VRS and Direct ML) start becoming more common, the Series S should stay competitive with the Series X, which is something the XBX just simply cannot do.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The S will be fine. The Yakuza games are hardly an indication of well optimised next gen games.

But please, lets not let a moment of forethought get in the way of FUD.

Some posts in this thread man.....
Feels like many aren't even aware that the game released in January for PS4 in JP.

I also wouldn't do it and/or advise anyone to do it. It's still an updgrade.
And honestly (not directed at you personally), it's sometimes boggles my mind how entitled and elitist posters on Era can sound.

200€ is a ton of money. Xbox offers a lower spec option to save 200€ with the Series S. Let's not act like everybody has the choice. Some people don't own 4K TVs, others live in regions where wages are low and gaming is expensive.

OP
OP
AppleBlade

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Here are 8 reasons why I don't this notion is all that crazy.

1. This game runs better on Series S (1080p30 on One X and 1440p30 on Series S).
2. Series S will have the super quick load times that everyone is raving about.
3. Series S is smaller and more power efficient.
4. Series S has support for newer graphical features like Ray Tracing and RDNA2's 4/8 bit integer upscaling
5. Stock Series S controller has several improvements over the stock One X controller.
6. Series S has all of the sound upgrades (3D Spatial Audio) of the series X.
7. At $299 the sale of a One X actually covers a big portion of the price. Gamestop of all places is giving you $200 for a One X.
8. More importantly it will actually get next gen games on it.

Mar 8, 2018
I think part of the issue some people are having seems to stem from a set of expectations surrounding what constitutes "next gen." Games these days have less defined look and feel than ever before. If say, a Cuphead sequel comes out in 2023, exclusively for XSX/S, is that a "next gen" game? Is it more or less "next gen" than the next Naughty Dog project?

You see this phenomenon on the PC side, where games are just games, and hardware is just hardware, with no particularly significant demarcation between "generations;" it's one continuous whole. Microsoft's console strategy somewhat embraces that idea. There is no defined "next gen," there are just upgrades of various significance.

So for them, the question isn't "Does our machine push Yakuza 7 into the 'next gen?'" it's "Does our machine make Yakuza 7 a better experience? Is it an upgrade?"

The answer to the first question is definitely no, because no feasible machine can overcome every engine limitation. But the answer to the second question is undoubtedly yes.

And if a day comes when the S can't keep up, they'll just fill the gap with cloud streaming. This is all part of their strategy of decoupling games from specific dedicated hardware.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
200€ is a ton of money. Xbox offers a lower spec option to save 200€ with the Series S. Let's not act like everybody has the choice. Some people don't own 4K TVs, others live in regions where wages are low and gaming is expensive.

It is a ton of money 100%, which is precisely why someone who is struggling with money at the moment(as I'm sure many people are) would be worst served by buying a Series S. People are literally defending its performance by saying there may be a refresh later, expecting these struggling people to have in total spent $600 on consoles from 2020-2023.

Wait for the refresh if youre low on disposable income rn!! If you really want to game then save some money and use xcloud until the refresh comes out.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Feels like many aren't even aware that the game released in January for PS4 in JP.

Thats not the point. The point is, that its a terrible example to judge the Series S by. What happens if they show off Gears 5 at 120fps in the next couple of weeks. A game that is demonstrably better looking.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Here are 8 reasons why I don't this notion is all that crazy.

1. This game runs better on Series S (1080p30 on One X and 1440p30 on Series S).
2. Series S will have the super quick load times that everyone is raving about.
3. Series S is smaller and more power efficient.
4. Series S has support for newer graphical features like Ray Tracing and RDNA2's 4/8 bit integer upscaling
5. Stock Series S controller has several improvements over the stock One X controller.
6. Series S has all of the sound upgrades (3D Spatial Audio) of the series X.
7. At $299 the sale of a One X actually covers a big portion of the price. Gamestop of all places is giving you $200 for a One X.
8. More importantly it will actually get next gen games on it.

The $200 gamestop trade in deal actually changes my thinking on this a lot, 100 dollars would be a good upgrade for that if you scrounge it up and then you can eventually get a series x or ps5.
I still don't think its worth it for 300 dollars.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
in this thread: lots of people underestimating how demanding the dragon engine is

i mean, even the xsx is not doing 4K60 for a last gen game

Thats not the point. The point is, that its a terrible example to judge the Series S by. What happens if they show off Gears 5 at 120fps in the next couple of weeks. A game that is demonstrably better looking.

agreed

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
I feel like you're both saying the same thing.

A game that came out over a year ago for last gen consoles that has had a long time to optimize is going to be less demanding than gears 5 for sure.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a 4K TV and I'm very unlikely to get one, so all I care about is that the Series S has the same framerate and graphics as the Series X. It actual resolution is itself largely irrelevant.

So I'm totally fine with playing this at 900p60. That's undoubtedly a huge improvement over my PS4 or Xbox One. I didn't upgrade either to the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X so I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I hope this isn't a peak at what Series S will do and that games perform 1080p/60 bare minimum, it is about time after calling these the "HD" consoles. I'm exited about Series S but this + no drive and a SSD that could be 3XXGB doesn't look enticing at all. But I'm glad that even the base console has a performance mode, every game should have it now.

The XSS performance scales relative to XSX, so if a game targets 1440p on XSX its going to be sub-1080p on S.

This was always the expectation.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I do believe that the Dragon Engine is severely hampering what is possible on Series X though considering they were only pushing 1080p on PS4 Pro and that machine should be capable of much more. I don't know why devs don't switch over to a more common engine like UE4 as we know that would give much better results in the long run.

It'd cost them a lot more than it's worth, as they'd need to remake all their assets (incredibly important for a studio like RGG Studio, would set them back years), learn a new engine, modify and add stuff so it can actually offer all the different things a Yakuza game does or just cut them giving them worse results (already happened with Dragon Engine) and I believe EPIC charge royalties per game, per x amount it makes, per quarter, and when you release at least 1 game a year (sometimes 3) it can get pretty expensive for what is ultimately a niche series. UE is a great engine, but not a tailor made one for every game.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that's pretty good given that Yakuza uses none of the RDNA 2 efficiencies. Its always been a laborious engine.

Look to other games for what can really be achieved. Series S is still phenomenal value.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
... Are people seriously trying to justify people spending money on the S as a worthwhile upgrade over the One X? Are y'all insane?

No, no it's not a worthwhile upgrade. You're spending $300 more for little-to-no improvement. And no it's not about cost either: Don't buy a Series S at launch if you've got a One X. It's 10000% not worth it, just save up the extra $200 over the next 4-5 months and buy an XSX ffs... it's a literal waste of money to buy an S over a One X. "But longevity" is a bad argument... you're literally spending $300 right now instead of saving an extra $200 in a few months to get performance that's at best slightly above what you already have... you can absolutely wait.

The Series S isn't a One X replacement, it's an entry-level unit for new consumers and/or an extra "Series" console for your household, it's a horrible value if you've already got last gen's best XB console.