• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a gamepass game. They could have literally said refer to the previous announcement for other platforms. Instead they released a new statement saying they were coming at a later date and did not comment further.
which makes the idea of it somehow being XSX only or Xbox 1 + XSX more puzzling since it won't be included on GP and will have the lowest fan base of all consoles for the IP. Crazier things have happened but i really doubt Xbox locked up a launch exclusive deal in the past 2 weeks.
As I said, they literally asked for a clarifying statement about the other release dates and Sega pointed them back to the noncommittal statement. So yes, it reads like they've rescinded the previously announced non-XS release dates.
That's the point of a noncommittal statement. They literally aren't committing to a delay either. They said 2 weeks ago it was all platforms in 11/13 including PS4. PS5 is later. How much later? Who knows but with XSX on 11/10, a 11/13 or 11/20 release for PS5 would qualify as "later"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point of a noncommittal statement. They literally aren't committing to a delay either. They said 2 weeks ago it was all platforms in 11/13 including PS4. PS5 is later. How much later? Who knows but with XSX on 11/10, a 11/13 or 11/20 release for PS5 would qualify as "later"

I'm not talking about PS5 here. I'm talking about how they actively stopped talking about PS4, Steam and XB1 and refuse to commit to THOSE release dates too.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

If it were a week, they would have said that.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
all Sega seems to be accomplishing with this is pissing off the loyal Yakuza fans who helped revive the series in the West...

Oct 27, 2017
Dude why are you ignoring that they won't comment on the release date of the Steam and XBO version either. It's not just the Playstation platforms. If it's releasing on 11/13 still then why the hell aren't they just saying please refer to the previous announcement.
For the same reason you are ignoring that it could just be a noncommittal statement since they have a deal to market the Xbox versions it seems. They didn't say it was delayed on anything and it being XSX only and not on XB1/PS4/PC makes absolutely zero sense financially even if they were paid by Xbox. Why would Xbox exclude Xbox One? Why would all of this be decided in the last 14 days?

this is a glass half full or half empty situation. It's fine if you want to think something is up; maybe you will be right. But I really don't see anything weird happening with this aside from maybe PS5 version being X amount of time later.

I patiently waited for Yakuza games to come to the US and have played like 7 games through 4-5 years, I can wait a few more weeks before I assume the worst.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is the old info tho

Yep, hence I said if anything's changed between then and now. Cause as of 2 weeks ago they were still promoting the same release date for every version.

I still think they will all come out on the same day (minus a PS5 version ?) this announcement was just made in conjunction with the XBX announcements so the wording focuses on those consoles.

Like, if you read their direct wording, it's pretty obvious they want to iterate XBSX, XBSS because of those consoles release date reveals:

Following today's Xbox Series S / X announcements, we wanted to share that Sega of America's one-of-a-kind RPG, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, is coming to Xbox Series S and X on November 10, 2020, day and date with the start of the next generation of gaming hardware. Yakuza: Like a Dragon will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows 10 and PlayStation 5. Please stay tuned for more release information on all platforms in the coming weeks.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
So its full time exclusive for xbox? Fuck SEGA IF true. I planned on getting this day one but I am going to buy it later and from second hand.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all Sega seems to be accomplishing with this is pissing off the loyal Yakuza fans who helped revive the series in the West...
I was already pissed they changed combat the way they did, this however pisses me of more as it feels they don't care about people like me.

I supported the series so many years ago and to see this kind of mess just turns me off and makes me wonder why I am even a fan in the first place. If they intended for this outcome then they succeeded.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely not paying full price for this with this move. So yeah.

Sega haven't confirmed anything yet. They haven't even mentioned the new date on their social media. Its just a perceived move based on incomplete information. It'll end up being nothing and all versions are out on the 10th.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Some of Y'all are getting too worked up over this.

Nothing in this statement hints that any other console/PC versions are getting delayed, its pretty clear cut they wanted to talk about XBSX/XBSS because those got their release/pricing/pre order info today.

Following today's Xbox Series S / X announcements, we wanted to share that Sega of America's one-of-a-kind RPG, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, is coming to Xbox Series S and X on November 10, 2020, day and date with the start of the next generation of gaming hardware. Yakuza: Like a Dragon will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows 10 and PlayStation 5. Please stay tuned for more release information on all platforms in the coming weeks.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I seriously cannot believe people are getting worked up over this. Microsoft is not blocking the Xbox One release to some unspecified time. And SEGA definitely cannot release a physical copy that lists Series X and Xbox One and it just doesn't work on one of those consoles until some later date. I know they flubbed on a PR comment but have common sense.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing in this statement hints that any other console/PC versions are getting delayed, its pretty clear cut they wanted to talk about XBSX/XBSS because those got their release/pricing/pre order info today.
This is still the same run around garbage after many months people are pretty sick of it.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

UBI did the samething with Valhalla, except they also confirmed that all other versions (except the PS5 version) would also be moving up to November 10th.

Oct 27, 2017
They hadn't announced the XSX date by the point you're talking about, either.
They announced it was a day 1 XSX game in May and now we know what day 1 is. Then on 8/24 they said Xbox One, PC, PS4 in 11/13. I don't see how XSX maybe getting it 3 days early, or on 11/13 is a big deal. They announced this date for all non next gen platforms 2 weeks ago. Unless we're expecting some catastrophic delay for last gen versions (and Pc) a la TLoU2's comically quick delay after date announcement, I really doubt much has changed in 2 weeks.

I could be wrong. All I am saying is wait until we have another day of comments from Sega, could just be poor messaging or they could be waiting on a PS5 date

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is still the same run around garbage after many months people are pretty sick of it.

Exactly. Their completely lackadaisical attitude as far as the PS4/PS5 versions in particular goes is pissing off a lot of series loyalists, and the fact they're even being hazy and weird about the Steam and XB1 versions now is just even more confusing.

Like they seem to be trying to associate the game so heavily with XSX that they don't want anyone else to care about it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They announced it was a day 1 XSX game in May and now we know what day 1 is. Then on 8/24 they said Xbox One, PC, PS4 in 11/13. I don't see how XSX maybe getting it 3 days early, or on 11/13 is a big deal. They announced this date for all non next gen platforms 2 weeks ago. Unless we're expecting some catastrophic delay for last gen versions (and Pc) a la TLoU2's comically quick delay after date announcement, I really doubt much has changed in 2 weeks.

I could be wrong. All I am saying is wait until we have another day of comments from Sega, could just be poor messaging or they could be waiting on a PS5 date

I'm talking about what they've said about the PS5 version, not any of that. It's clear that version was pushed back, probably as a timed exclusive deal with MS, so I think just saying they are being super coy to surprise drop that the PS5 version is coming like two days later isn't all that likely.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is so confusing now, so are they delaying the other systems or is the original release date that they announced from a month or two ago still a thing now? What are SEGA doing?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Well, whatever. I won't be annoyed until we get confirmation that the PS4 version won't release on Nov 13th or earlier.

I've never seen marketing deals be coy about previously confirmed mulitplatform release dates, though.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You're missing the part where Sega wouldn't confirm whether the PS4, Xbox One, and PC versions are still releasing November 13 when I specifically asked.

I'm not saying it's delayed either, but it's definitely worth noting since Sega won't be clear about it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo did the Xbox version just get moved to the 10th and all other versions are releasing on the 13th as planned? I'm confused.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Exactly. Their completely lackadaisical attitude as far as the PS4/PS5 versions in particular goes is pissing off a lot of series loyalists, and the fact they're even being hazy and weird about the Steam and XB1 versions now is just even more confusing.

Like they seem to be trying to associate the game so heavily with XSX that they don't want anyone else to care about it.
7/22 Blog Post https://blog.playstation.com/2020/07/22/yakuza-like-a-dragon-meet-the-heroes-of-tomorrow/

8/29 PlayStation Twitter promoting the game (and a release date!) https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1299825204252770305?s=20

I know SEGA is being quiet and dumb but they are not doing what you are saying. The PS5 version will either get a 2020 release date once the console does, or it will next year for whatever reason (paid exclusive or was added as a later project).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about what they've said about the PS5 version, not any of that. It's clear that version was pushed back, probably as a timed exclusive deal with MS, so I think just saying they are being super coy to surprise drop that the PS5 version is coming like two days later isn't all that likely.
True. But at the same time if it was a really short window (like 3-7 or 30 days) I'd think Xbox would ask them to downplay how small the time is too. We will see soon enough. I think a lot of answers will come out once Sony gives us a launch date

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
7/22 Blog Post https://blog.playstation.com/2020/07/22/yakuza-like-a-dragon-meet-the-heroes-of-tomorrow/

8/29 PlayStation Twitter promoting the game (and a release date!) https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1299825204252770305?s=20

I know SEGA is being quiet and dumb but they are not doing what you are saying. The PS5 version will either get a 2020 release date once the console does, or it will next year for whatever reason (paid exclusive or was added as a later project).
Look at Sal the journalist above. He specifically asked about the original release dates and got told no comment. You don't do that if you aren't making changes.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If MS have made them delay the PS4 version just for the sake of their marketing bullshit Imma shit brick srsly. 😠

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
True. But at the same time if it was a really short window (like 3-7 or 30 days) I'd think Xbox would ask them to downplay how small the time is too. We will see soon enough. I think a lot of answers will come out once Sony gives us a launch date
Exactly. I think it's entirely possibly it's either coming 2020 once a PS5 date is announced, or they have just largely been working on the Xbox versions since shipping the PS4 version in Japan, and will revisit the PS5 version after. I honestly can't remember the last time a game was paid for as a timed exclusive, or for marketing rights, and yet the other brand can post media about it and say a next gen version is coming.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I think it's entirely possibly it's either coming 2020 once a PS5 date is announced, or they have just largely been working on the Xbox versions since shipping the PS4 version in Japan, and will revisit the PS5 version after. I honestly can't remember the last time a game was paid for as a timed exclusive, or for marketing rights, and yet the other brand can post media about it and say a next gen version is coming.
Microsoft's other next gen exclusive Tetris Effect.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Look at Sal the journalist above. He specifically asked about the original release dates and got told no comment. You don't do that if you aren't making changes.
I'm sorry but that's really not enough to go off of, or to get worked up over. Microsoft didn't swing a marketing deal in the last 10 days to not only delay a PS4 release but an Xbox One release too. I mean really? Don't mistake SEGA's incompetence for maliciousness. They cannot legally sell a physical copy saying it works on Xbox One (as it shares the Series X SKU for smart delivery) if it doesn't actually work.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
No but Enhance is. Coming Summer 2021 to all other platforms.
Right. But Sony is not actively marketing it. Like they are with Yakuza, which Microsoft supposedly has a marketing deal for.

Do you honestly believe Microsoft is going to prevent the game releasing on Xbox One???

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but that's really not enough to go off of, or to get worked up over. Microsoft didn't swing a marketing deal in the last 10 days to not only delay a PS4 release but an Xbox One release too. I mean really? Don't mistake SEGA's incompetence for maliciousness. They cannot legally sell a physical copy saying it works on Xbox One (as it shares the Series X SKU for smart delivery) if it doesn't actually work.

That's one of the weird parts about it. The Xbox One and Xbox Series versions are the same physical SKU, so that must mean the Xbox One version at the very least has been moved up to November 10, right? But still no confirmation. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess I don't exactly know what's going on behind the scenes. Hopefully they clear things up soon.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Right. But Sony is not actively marketing it. Like they are with Yakuza, which Microsoft supposedly has a marketing deal for.

Do you honestly believe Microsoft is going to prevent the game releasing on Xbox One???
How the hell should I know. Sega is the one that won't comment on other platforms. It is strange that they wouldn't even comment on another XB platform since they usually don't mind that.