• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is this considered the best game in the series?

As someone who only got to experience 2 through this version, after I had played most of the rest of the series, I don't think it's the best one. It has the best main antagonist for sure, but otherwise it felt a bit lacking compared to 0 and 6 in particular, both of which I loved. There's a fair amount of strange, super gamey and sort of.. Inorganic feeling stuff throughout the main story that really hindered my ability to really get sucked into the story. Obvious PS2 era leftover stuff.

Still a very good game, though.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on here? When is Sega going to start releasing these at $60? Not that I'm complaining.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably once Sega starts to release the PC version day-and-date with the console release or when it's just a slightly delayed port like Monster Hunter or FFXV.

Honestly would not be shocked if Yakuza 3,4,5 Remasters came out on PC day and date, followed by a port of 6. It would explain why they haven't announced it for the west yet and why we got Kiwami 2 before 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Best game is subjective. Yakuza is one of those series that, as they are so similar end up being really solid in each entry as they don't shake the core up too much. Some might call that repetitive but it works perfect for me as I never stop playing the games. I used to think I'd get burned out on the series but that just doesn't seem to happen after playing Kurohyou 2, Judge Eyes and now 4 taking only short breaks between each (all three are contenders for best game in the series incidentally).

Honestly would not be shocked if Yakuza 3,4,5 Remasters came out on PC day and date, followed by a port of 6. It would explain why they haven't announced it for the west yet and why we got Kiwami 2 before 6.
That's how I'm picturing things happening now. Wasn't sure until I saw they went with Kiwami 2 ahead of the rumoured 6 port that was briefly leaked/hinted last year. Just makes way more sense to do the games all in order. I do still wonder when they'll get released though (as a late release this year might bury them, and if they'll release all three as one pack, or separately. And if as a pack, that'd be nuts as there would be a good 300+ hours of content in there easy!)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's how I'm picturing things happening now. Wasn't sure until I saw they went with Kiwami 2 ahead of the rumoured 6 port that was briefly leaked/hinted last year. Just makes way more sense to do the games all in order. I do still wonder when they'll get released though (as a late release this year might bury them, and if they'll release all three as one pack, or separately. And if as a pack, that'd be nuts as there would be a good 300+ hours of content in there easy!)

Yakuza Kiwami 2 went up on SteamDB on August 17th. Before it came out on PS4 and only a few weeks after 0 PC. I'm starting to think that Yakuza 6 PC listing wasn't an error at all like people thought. Seems like SEGA has been planning this all out for months now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2 went up on SteamDB on August 17th. Before it came out on PS4 and only a few weeks after 0 PC. I'm starting to think that Yakuza 6 PC listing wasn't an error at all like people thought. Seems like SEGA has been planning this all out for months now.
For sure. I see 6 happening, and really the only reason why I don't put "sooner than you think" on the end of my sentence is that I think they'll do 3-5 first so people can experience Kiryu and Haruka's story properly and not out of order. Its really nice to see Sega seemingly go all in with the series on PC, the more sales the better (plus it'll be nice having definitive versions that are timeless, and not tied to one console, I must own each game about 3x each now!)

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they plan to release PCs in chronological order now, and when they eventually get to 6, it will be in time for a remaster of 6 itself :P. Pipe dream of course.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Those system requirements are really steep though. Here's hoping my poor ancient i7-3820 and 1060 can handle this at medium, 60fps
Agreed, and it's the only thing keeping me from preordering right now and waiting for performance reviews. I have a 5820K and 980TI so I'd hope to be ok at 1080P. Hopefully the VRAM hit isn't too bad .

Sep 28, 2018
SEGA is a PC powerhouse. Will triple dip on this game. (PS2 original, PS4 Kiwami and now Steam)

This is my favourite game in the series and I hope everyone gives it a try!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Those requirements seem too high, the game is not exactly a looker if you compared it to preavious Yakuza games, it's better yeah, but not so much to justify such a jump in the requirements section.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Those requirements seem too high, the game is not exactly a looker if you compared it to preavious Yakuza games, it's better yeah, but not so much to justify such a jump in the requirements section.

Well, aside from looking far better than the previous games, you've also gotta consider the engine is switched up quite a bit - no loading between accessing areas (bar switching cities and some mini games), proper physics operating outside of fights now (so everything isn't glued to the floor), much better texturing and lighting. Granted, its probably nothing close to something truly impressive on PC like Star Citizen, but its a pretty big upgrade in many areas compared to the previous games.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Well, aside from looking far better than the previous games, you've also gotta consider the engine is switched up quite a bit - no loading between accessing areas (bar switching cities and some mini games), proper physics operating outside of fights now (so everything isn't glued to the floor), much better texturing and lighting. Granted, its probably nothing close to something truly impressive on PC like Star Citizen, but its a pretty big upgrade in many areas compared to the previous games.
Yeah I know, I played it, but those requirements still seem too high to me.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So, anyone one Era wants to help me decide what new machine I need to get this running at 60FPS? As that's my next goal (its been long overdue anyway).

So, lets start talking mods - music mods specifically. How many minutes will it take for us to get a PS2 music mod? At least for the Crazy Ken stuff but the soundtracks are quite different this go around in places so one that puts the boss/fight music back as it was will most likely take a little longer.

Hey Shadow, wait for people to test it out first and see how their PCs are performing. As this is the first time a dragon engine game is on PC, it could well be different to the older Zero engine. The dragon engine struggled on PS4 honestly, so I'd just wait and see how people fare first. You don't want to get something only to find out it doesn't perform as well as you'd hoped.

The steam page does have 'recommended' specs (of a GTX 1070), but publishers have overstated these sometimes (and understated on other occasions) so really its just best to wait and see. Usually there's a PC performance thread for the game, otherwise people will definitely discuss the performance in the OT.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Shadow, wait for people to test it out first and see how their PCs are performing. As this is the first time a dragon engine game is on PC, it could well be different to the older Zero engine. The dragon engine struggled on PS4 honestly, so I'd just wait and see how people fare first. You don't want to get something only to find out it doesn't perform as well as you'd hoped.

The steam page does have 'recommended' specs (of a GTX 1070), but publishers have overstated these sometimes (and understated on other occasions) so really its just best to wait and see. Usually there's a PC performance thread for the game, otherwise people will definitely discuss the performance in the OT.
Yup, that's the plan. I'm not in a rush to get anything yet, I'll be waiting to see how the game performs first to get a better idea of my needs. But I'll probably aim for something over specs as well to give me breathing room (plus that should help with emulation I plan on running on the machine.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not without reduced settings, at least. The system requirements on the Steam Store page list a 1070/Vega 56 for "60fps @ 1080p @ High" (to paraphrase).

damn. I was running Yakuza 0 at absurdly high framerates with everything maxed out so I thought just an engine change couldn't harm that much.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not without reduced settings, at least. The system requirements on the Steam Store page list a 1070/Vega 56 for "60fps @ 1080p @ High" (to paraphrase).

MHW's High Resolution texture pack also "requires" a 1070/Vega 56 for minimum specs, but only because these cards have 8gb of VRAM. Weaker cards like the 580 and GTX 1060 run it conpletely fine. Very possible this is the same situation here.

The 580 also has 8gb of VRAM and should be completely fine here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
MHW's High Resolution texture pack also "requires" a 1070/Vega 56 for minimum specs, but only because these cards have 8gb of VRAM. Weaker cards like the 580 and GTX 1060 run it conpletely fine. Very possible this is the same situation here.

The 580 also has 8gb of VRAM and should be completely fine here.

It's possible, but I wouldn't say it's likely. Kiwami 2 is a fully current-gen game, after all, whereas the current-gen versions of 1 and Yakuza 0 are just a remasters of their respective original PS3 releases.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
The PS4 Pro runs it runs it at 1080p/30 fps and the GPU is more or less the equivalent of an RX 470. I would also think Ryzen 5 2600+RX 580 should be able to hit 1080p/60 fps.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Well yeah obviously, if a game is recommending 8gb of VRAM it's definitely no PS3 game.

What I mean is that texture quality is just one of the areas where the game is going to be more demanding. In fact, the system requirements don't actually mention VRAM, so it would stand to reason that if the 8GB 580 had enough grunt for 1080p60 at High, then it'd be listed in lieu of the Vega 56. (Edit: Sorry, disregard. I'm blind, apparently. ;)) Again, though, I don't discount the possibility that the requirements are something of an overstatement; I just wouldn't hinge your hopes on that being the case, given the nature of the game.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
JaseC, I'm hoping there will be a PC performance thread for this game, will you be making it?

There's definitely a bit of interest in the Yakuza community on this release seeing its the first dragon engine game on PC.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
JaseC, I'm hoping there will be a PC performance thread for this game, will you be making it?

There's definitely a bit of interest in the Yakuza community on this release seeing its the first dragon engine game on PC.

Yeah. I felt the PC OTs covered Zero and Kiwami 1 well enough as they're just re-remasters and have relatively low requirements, but K2 is a port of a proper current-gen game, so I'll be making a thread.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm super interested in what it'll take to play the dragon engine in 4K/60. I've started saving for a new PC recently but I guess this may bump up my timeline, I was kinda thinking of waiting until next gen consoles come out before upgrading anything.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any issues logging into Fanatical at all ? I keep getting issues with login and even changed my password to be sure but yeah keeps giving me errors. Not a big deal as I can buy from elsewhere but always nice to get the best price :)

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm trying to get a code for 0 on the trade thread so I can get upto date with that, then Kiwami before 2.