• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I guess Sega don't want a whole bunch of vids that reveal the mysteries of the game to hit Youtube before the English release even hits.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Best I can guess is SaltyYen hasn't uploaded anything because Sega are cracking down further on people uploading gameplay of the game onto Youtube. I know it affected one other prolific Yakuza uploader, or maybe its just that he's not finished the first PSP game yet and he's still working ont that

Ahh yeah that's a shame, I figured maybe he was just busy with other life stuff or whatever. I remember Twitch was giving him trouble at one point so he switched to YouTube so it's unfortunate that maybe he has no place to upload content now.

the title screen of judgment is so good

Agreed, it's so stylish and nice to look at with great music in the background!

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just got to the part where Kiryu abruptly kisses Sayama. How in the world Kiryu did this? He didn't even touch the girl that sleeps in his house in Yakuza 5?

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
been playing judge eyes all day and I'm really enjoying it. that first chapter was long as heck.

most of all i'm glad they've finally fixed how the sprint works. you just press x once now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never getting bored of that heat move. The Swings heat move though is still my favourite new JE one of the ones seen so far.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Regret not starting on Hard difficulty, random goons take very little to beat. It's making eating each restaurant's menus a pain.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Regret not starting on Hard difficulty, random goons take very little to beat. It's making eating each restaurant's menus a pain.
Why not just bump up the difficulty mid game? Unless for some reason they took that option out? Its been in there since Ishin.

I'd never dream of playing the series on anything lower than Hard mode these days myself, its just far too easy for me! 3 was the last time they really had AI that respected Hard difficulty, made the game noticeably more challenging.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just bump up the difficulty mid game? Unless for some reason they took that option out? Its been in there since Ishin.

I'd never dream of playing the series on anything lower than Hard mode these days myself, its just far too easy for me! 3 was the last time they really had AI that respected Hard difficulty, made the game noticeably more challenging.
Completely forgot I could do that haha. Of course, no difficulty trophies apart from Ex Hard which unlocks regardless of difficulty (except Ex Easy) if guides are to be believed

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Didnt Yakuza 3 come out before Judge Eyes? And we dont have a release date for Y3 yet? Kinda weird move from Sega USA.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not really weird that Sega wants to put a spotlight on the big new game they are releasing, you only need to look at the effort they are putting into translating it. Worst case scenario is another team doing the remasters like FOTNS while best case scenario is them simply waiting for all to be out in Japan to do a collection release over here (which is no doubt an easier sell - 3 games for a decent price vs releasing the games separately).

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
god why is the ufo catcher in judge eyes and kiwami 2 so impossible. this is like the first time there's any use for the prizes too. closer to reality I guess.

drone racing is kinda fun.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not really weird that Sega wants to put a spotlight on the big new game they are releasing, you only need to look at the effort they are putting into translating it. Worst case scenario is another team doing the remasters like FOTNS while best case scenario is them simply waiting for all to be out in Japan to do a collection release over here (which is no doubt an easier sell - 3 games for a decent price vs releasing the games separately).
Yeah a new game should be translated first instead of a remaster. Y3 wont sell that big.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why I noticed this, probably because I've rewatched Nishiki's new cutscenes in Kiwami so many times, but I realised a minor Awano yakuza is also in Kiwami, probably just due to asset reuse, but hey it works. I think it's the same unique character model anyway.

Maybe someone else already noticed that too. Would be interesting if there are any more like that, I know Shindo is in Kiwami.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
OH DUDE Judge Eyes is so good! This is just one of those perfect "Where have you been all my life?" games. It's a 3D Ace Attorney game in Yakuza clothing, which is the perfect combination for me. I'm still only in the first chapter but everything is going exactly how I'd hoped so far, and the RGG Studio storytelling style and cutscenes translate perfectly to the police procedural/detective genre. Hearing Yagami's hardboiled voiceover while the camera pans over the neon-drenched Kamurocho streets is just wonderful.

My only complaints so far are that Kimutaku is a little mumble-y, and I still wish they'd just go back to the character movement controls from Yakuza 0. It's frustrating because they have changed it from 6 and you do have discrete walk, jog and run speeds, but they're mapped to the controller awkwardly. You want to push the stick halfway to walk, all the way to jog, then hold (or press) X to sprint, but instead you push the stick all the way to walk, press X to sprint, and press X but ease back to halfway on the stick to jog. It's hardly the end of the world, but, man, they already had it perfect in 0 and it gets on my nerves :P

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt Yakuza 3 come out before Judge Eyes? And we dont have a release date for Y3 yet? Kinda weird move from Sega USA.

I don't remember if I've already posted my theory here but I wouldn't be surprised if they release Yakuza 3-4-5 as a box set in the West once Yakuza 5 has been rereleased in Japan. Last I heard, SEGA West was only working on Judgment.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if I've already posted my theory here but I wouldn't be surprised if they release Yakuza 3-4-5 as a box set in the West once Yakuza 5 has been rereleased in Japan. Last I heard, SEGA West was only working on Judgment.
This is the same thing I'm thinking. As they've not announced anything for the remasters yet over here which seems strange as they are clearly going all in with the series.
I'd have said I'd expect the main localisation team to work on 3 especially after Judgment, but with Shin RGG coming next December most likely I'd imagine they just go straight onto that.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
A question randomly popped into my head when thinking about something about 5 I disliked that also concerns 0.

Was Majima married before meeting Makoto or after. It was before, wasn't it? I remember seeing someone on this forum say it was after. Hate that plot point, I like to pretend it never happened.
I believe it was me who told you it was after, and it definitely was. Here's a simple timeline. Spoilers for Yakuza 0, 4, and 5 to follow.
Majima was born in 1964, and Park in 1974. When they married, Majima was 28, Park was 18.
  • 1985: 21-year-old Goro Majima prepares to undertake the Ueno Seiwa hit with Taiga Saejima, but is prevented from appearing. He subsequently loses his eye and is locked in a black site to be tortured as punishment.
  • 1986: Following a year of torture, Majima emerges from the black site as a civilian.
  • 1988: Majima succeeds in reigning in the profits for Grand Cabaret. Events of Yakuza 0 follow. Now working under Shimano again, he presumably operates in Kamurocho and the surrounding areas, but would later return to Sotenbori for reasons unknown.
  • 1992: Majima enters into a relationship with Mirei Park, marrying her soon after. The two separate, however, with Majima leaving Park to pursue her idol dream instead.
  • 1995: Events of Yakuza 1 / Kiwami commence, as does a decade-long gap of largely unknown occurrences for Majima.
  • 2005: Events of Yakuza 1 / Kiwami resume. Majima, now 41 years old, continues to operate as Captain of the Shimano Family, and Patriarch of the Majima Family.
There's also the timeline on the official website, which I do wish was more in-depth, but useful for general dates nonetheless. Here you go.

Also, if I were to hazard a guess as to why Majima returned to Sotenbori post-0, I'd assume Shimano had him stationed there for awhile to spy on Omi matters, or perhaps work with them behind the scenes. He befriends Katsuya during that very time period, so it'd make sense. Then again, while Majima's familiarity with Sotenbori is a valuable thing to take advantage of from Shimano's perspective, it's far from inconspicuous for the Shimano Family's captain / Lord of the Night himself to be in the area. I guess we'll never grasp the reasoning behind all this unless they make a game about it. They used a prequel to turn Nishiki into a fantastic character, strengthening the original game in the process, so maybe one day, we'll see Park and Katsuya get the same sort of treatment. For the time being, all we've got is speculation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I believe it was me who told you it was after, and it definitely was. Here's a simple timeline. Spoilers for Yakuza 0, 4, and 5 to follow.
Majima was born in 1964, and Park in 1974. When they married, Majima was 28, Park was 18.
  • 1985: 21-year-old Goro Majima prepares to undertake the Ueno Seiwa hit with Taiga Saejima, but is prevented from appearing. He subsequently loses his eye and is locked in a black site to be tortured as punishment.
  • 1986: Following a year of torture, Majima emerges from the black site as a civilian.
  • 1988: Majima succeeds in reigning in the profits for Grand Cabaret. Events of Yakuza 0 follow. Now working under Shimano again, he presumably operates in Kamurocho and the surrounding areas, but would later return to Sotenbori for reasons unknown.
  • 1992: Majima enters into a relationship with Mirei Park, marrying her soon after. The two separate, however, with Majima leaving Park to pursue her idol dream instead.
  • 1995: Events of Yakuza 1 / Kiwami commence, as does a decade-long gap of largely unknown occurrences for Majima.
  • 2005: Events of Yakuza 1 / Kiwami resume. Majima, now 41 years old, continues to operate as Captain of the Shimano Family, and Patriarch of the Majima Family.
There's also the timeline on the official website, which I do wish was more in-depth, but useful for general dates nonetheless. Here you go.

Also, if I were to hazard a guess as to why Majima returned to Sotenbori post-0, I'd assume Shimano had him stationed there for awhile to spy on Omi matters, or perhaps work with them behind the scenes. He befriends Katsuya during that very time period, so it'd make sense. Then again, while Majima's familiarity with Sotenbori is a valuable thing to take advantage of from Shimano's perspective, it's far from inconspicuous for the Shimano Family's captain / Lord of the Night himself to be in the area. I guess we'll never grasp the reasoning behind all this unless they make a game about it. They used a prequel to turn Nishiki into a fantastic character, strengthening the original game in the process, so maybe one day, we'll see Park and Katsuya get the same sort of treatment. For the time being, all we've got is speculation.
Cool, nice to get confirmation. I just really hate the
domestic violent shit added for shock value.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Judge Eyes. Did all of the side cases too.

Overall rather meh. The characters are really good and the story is at least decent. It does get bogged down by the fact that all the pieces fall into place 70% through the main story, and the final third is just Yagami trying to get people to talk so he can get proof for a mystery that has already been solved and the story just loses its momentum entirely.

But the main problem of the game is really that it's not fun. Moving the cursor around the screen to look for clues is not fun. Tailing targets is the most boring shit imaginable and you're going to do a whole lot of it especially if you want to do the side cases. RGG games are fun because you follow big and small stories and at the end of them you solve the problem by kicking someone's face in. It's a simple and good formula. In Judge Eyes however, there is all of that extremely uninteresting and repetetive detective shit inbetween the stories and the ass-kicking which just turns everything into a slog.

The main side-activities ( drone racing and that VR dice game) also don't have any stories attached to them, so they feel completely pointless.

To me this game is just a bit of a failed experiment. If all of the new systems would actually be fun, this game could have been great but as it is now, it's just a RGG game with an additional layer of bad sub-systems tacked on that make the experience worse. I wouldn't say no to a sequel because I liked the cast but they need to make big improvements when it comes to the "detective gameplay".

Also: Saori > Mafuyu.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all the Yakuza games are on sale digitally as well in the UK, so if you were waiting for a discount they are worth checking out.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
my biggest problem with Judge Eyes is this ninja weeaboo fucker Ryan. if you finish his friend event he'll show up and help you in random street fights. But the thing is he shows up for literally 99% of them. I never get to just fight alone anymore. It super sucks if you want to actually play around and experiment with the new fight styles to constantly have this asshole throwing bombs and shit at the enemies.
And every time you finish a fight with him you have to sit through his 3 second long textbox where he thanks you, ruining the seamlessness of the battles.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
my biggest problem with Judge Eyes is this ninja weeaboo fucker Ryan. if you finish his friend event he'll show up and help you in random street fights. But the thing is he shows up for literally 99% of them. I never get to just fight alone anymore. It super sucks if you want to actually play around and experiment with the new fight styles to constantly have this asshole throwing bombs and shit at the enemies.
And every time you finish a fight with him you have to sit through his 3 second long textbox where he thanks you, ruining the seamlessness of the battles.
That sounds annoying. How does his friend quest go/how do you complete it? As I want to try and make sure I don't early on, so I can enjoy my battles in peace, its the same reason I never used the tag partner on Kurohyou 2 much either as they got in the way and ruined my attacks which got annoying after a while.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds annoying. How does his friend quest go/how do you complete it? As I want to try and make sure I don't early on, so I can enjoy my battles in peace, its the same reason I never used the tag partner on Kurohyou 2 much either as they got in the way and ruined my attacks which got annoying after a while.

I finished his quest in chapter 2. You first meet him hanging on a wall of a building at the lower right of the map. He has three events in total to fill his friendship meter so it should be easy to not finish it if you start it, as you have to choose to play darts with him for the second event.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I finished his quest in chapter 2. You first meet him hanging on a wall of a building at the lower right of the map. He has three events in total to fill his friendship meter so it should be easy to not finish it if you start it, as you have to choose to play darts with him for the second event.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
OK, still loving Judge Eyes, but a crack is starting to show in the form of the combat: Yagami sucks. All his attacks have huge cooldown animations, and his basic combos send him jumping and flipping all over the goddamn place to the point where you miss enemies half the time (and his triangle kick off walls is unreliable to begin with and somehow even less accurate when you pull it off). But they've also changed the way enemies can counter your attacks, so that even basic enemies can knock you out of combos and counterattack immediately, and when you and a boss are both in EX Boost mode it's this total mess where you're both hammering away at eachother at the same time, taking damage but not getting knocked back. It's terrible. The early bossfight in the alley with Murase is an absolute nightmare, because you just don't have the mobility you need to dodge his wild katana swings and your attacks are too slow and laborious to do any damage to him in between. What I wouldn't give to be playing as Rush-style Kiryu again.

They've just totally upset the balance of combat here. Enemies block too often and don't stagger enough. You start punching them and suddenly they've blocked and started punching you before you can react. Yagami's attack animations are too damn long and can't be cancelled. If you see an enemy start an attack while you're stuck in a long spinning kick combo, you just have to take it because there's nothing you can do. A guy comes at you with a sword, and even if you dodge the first attack his auto-aim will spin him around to hit you with the next two before you can dodge again. You think you have an opening to wail on him and then he just recovers instantly and takes half your health bar with a combo, while Yagami is still wax-on-wax-offing away on a combo you input like two full seconds ago and can't break out of. Yagami only walks in combat, unless hold the button to run. Who designed this?

I guess the Dragon Engine games are going to be inherently sluggish in combat because of the physics system, but Yagami's wushu animations make him particularly unresponsive. And maybe some of this will be fixed as I make my way through the upgrade tree (I unlocked an upgrade that should let me dodge cancel, but it doesn't seem especially effective), but, to be honest, I'm sick of the Yakuza grind at this point. I wish they'd just make the combat start good and then get better with upgrades, rather than starting you at square one with every game and making you spend thirty hours unlocking what should be the basics.

The non-combat stuff is still my jam, though. Even if it is just standard "go to waypoint to talk to person" design, it just fits the genre so well. You aren't just doing video game bullshit, you're a detective, and you're putting in the legwork to solve the case. You're following up on leads, questioning suspects, investigating crime scenes. There's this whole sequence early on where you choose how to infiltrate the Kansai Yakuza hideout, and it turns into this hilarious Ocean's 11 scene of bluffing your way past suspicious guards, finding passcodes to open locked doors, climbing out onto emergency ladders and, of course, fighting a bunch of dudes. So far Yagami hasn't really grown on me (I don't know that Kimutaku is an especially good voice actor; he mumbles so much I can barely even hear half his lines), but I really like the rest of the cast. I can't wait to see how the story goes.

Last edited:

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
Not really feeling the combat as well. It reminds me of Majima in Kiwami 2 but even more sluggish and imprecise. Hope that it will get better once I've opened up more combat skills. At least the moves are really well choreographed and some are very very silly.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is there's a lot of fun to be had with the combat when you're just in low-stakes brawls on the street. I'd recommend unlocking all of Yagami's leaping attacks ASAP, because jumping off walls into spinning lucha libre holds or leapfrogging over a dude's head and coming down with an axe kick to the top of his head is just great. He has this ridiculous kung fu energy blast palm strike thing you can do in his Issen style that looks like they made it for the Fist of the North Star game and stuck it in this one by mistake.

The problem comes when you're in a serious, main story path fight and the higher-tier enemies start getting on their bullshit, because none of the fun stuff works any more. All the wallkick/leapfrog moves are initiated by sprinting at an enemy, but if you're familiar with Yakuza 6's 'parkour' system you know that it's about a 50/50 shot whether Kiryu will smoothly leap over a fence or have to jankily grind against it for a couple of moments before the right animation kicks in, so imagine having to rely on that system for your best combat moves. Bosses will yank you out of the sky if you try a leapfrog attack over their heads, anyway, and they block so often you can't get a combo out, and Yagami just doesn't have any good "I need to do damage right now" moves. I see that the Tiger Drop is in his movelist, but you need to find a code somewhere in the city to scan with the drone's camera to unlock it.

I just adore this game, though. They've done a wonderful job of combining the Friendship system of Ishin and 0 with the normal Sub Stories, so that now practically wherever you go in Kamurocho there's someone to meet and some kind of little adventure to go on and (from what I've seen so far) they're all actually worth seeing. It's no longer just "Bring me a thing every time you walk past me to make a progress bar go up" for the Friends, but rather a juicy little story and often some kind of interactive game to play with them. A waiter at Cafe Alps put me through several rounds of a competition to test my coffee tasting ability, which of course escalated to me having to pick the right coffee to give a scary Yakuza man. A hotel worker needed me to help her understand a new English phrase her international customers were using each time I saw her, until eventually she told me she'd found an English-speaking boyfriend and she could finally achieve her dream of studying overseas. I've been running around Kamurocho all day picking up Side Cases, making friends, five-point-palm-exploding-heart-technique-ing various chinpiras. It's awesome.

Also I'm surprised by just much I enjoy Drone Racing. The controls take some getting used to (definitely switch to Control Type B), but once you get a feel for it you can just scream through the city and thread the needle through some tiny little gaps. I assume there's going to be a hundred-hour grind associated with upgrading my drone all the way, as always, but this time around it's so fun that I might actually do it :P

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The critcisim here about Judge Eye's content reminds me of playing Kiwami 2 on hard, and not enjoying fighting the tougher enemies because it felt like barely anything was effective. Also reminds me of Mr Knife in shoes.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Bar knife shoes, I gotta disagree about Kiwami 2. I felt everyone was far too weak in that game, was way too easy pm Hard mode. Heat moves especially were just a ticket to finish a fight quick. I actually look forward to playing JE more if the combat is hard/unfair as it means I might be challenged more. Probably not but we'll see (people here told me Spidey DLC 2 was super hard combat wise and I didn't find that hard either, guess it's just me!)

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To people who played full version of Judge Eyes:

Is there any mandatory motion control in the game?

I can't use motion controls.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
dear lord the tailing missions are so fucking boring. i can't believe this a thing they make you do more than once. they go on forever and they're all the same garbage. just baffling.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I actually kind of enjoy the tailing, which is something I never thought I'd say. I typically hate that shit in Assassin's Creed, where your target will get caught up on level geometry and spin around with no warning, which counts as them seeing you, which means you have to run off and hide until they get out of alert mode and it's just excruciating. But here the rules are so well-defined and all the mechanics really solidly game-ified: potential hiding spots are clearly marked, you have a meter telling you exactly how suspicious your target is, they have exaggerated animations telegraphing when they're about to turn around. It is still tailing, but for what it's worth it's the best tailing system I've seen in a game, and I really like the suspenseful music that plays while you're doing it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tailing missions are one thing I'm concerned about, I have the feeling I'll be on the more negative side than the positive side, even if the beautiful cityscape can distract me for a while. I should start the game within the next week so I'll see for myself. The one in the demo was ok but doing that too many times would probably bore me in the end if its part of the main story. Less so if its side stories, it just can't be worse than tailing missions in Kurohyou 2!
Chase stuff looks awesome though, basically just like Shenmue QTEs, I'm actually looking forward to those.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The tailing missions are laughably easy, especially if you upgrade your skills. They are too long and a tad slow most of the time. I don't mind the chase missions, at least they aren't as bad a 3/4's

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one chase mission I liked in Yakuza 3 and that was when
one of the orphans (Izumi maybe? It was one of the girls) ran away and you had to chase her. And lets just say she puts Sonic the Hedgehog to shame in her sprinting skills. I laughed so hard when Kiryu ran out of breath when chasing her

Also, speaking of orphans. Taichi is so damn cool in Yakuza 3. His story is one of my favourite bits in the game, such a nice up beat and feel good moment.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Also, someone mentioned above that you can't cancel moves, there's a skill that lets you cancel them.

That stupid weeaboo friend event needs to be done to finish Yosuke's one I think.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, looks like Salty Yen is working on doing his translation vids for Judge Eyes on Youtube (assuming Sega don't pull them down). Just a heads up for anyone like me who likes watching them.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Also, someone mentioned above that you can't cancel moves, there's a skill that lets you cancel them.

There is, but it doesn't really work well. Basically if you predict that an enemy's going to attack and manage to mash X about five times before it actually hits, you can sometimes interrupt Yagami's kata animations quickly enough to dodge it, but it basically has to be premeditated. And what's worse, Yagami's dodge also has recovery frames, so you can't attack for like half a second immediately after dodging. You feel like you need to be able to dodge cancel the dodge itself; it all just feels so stiff and unresponsive.

I'm saving for the final Combo Speed upgrade right now, and I guess there's a chance that might tighten up all the input windows and make the game feel better, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Started Judgment yesterday and only got to the start of Chapter 2.

So far I love the game. Feels like the devs have finally nailed the dragon engine. The game runs very smooth and I love the new color filter scheme. Definitely gives the game a detective thriller vibe.

The new fighting styles are awesome though some combos are hard to perform.

My only gripe so far is the lack of Karaoke.