• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had any issues with Yakuza 3 on Series X?

I've gone through 0, 1 and 2 completely fine but Yakuza 3 has a constant stutter throughout - it's basically unplayable.

Here is an example of a cutscene as that probably demonstrates it the clearest, but it's the same when displaying a text box or even using the main menu. It's on the internal storage too and nothing is downloading.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tried redownloading the game? It certainly didn't have that issue when I played it on the Series X on release so it makes me thing that either:
a) the game didnt install properly on your console and might need redownloading
b) a bad patch has broken the game
c) the console/SSD itself is somewhat broken and causing the issue.

Here's hoping the issue is just a). Might be worth clearing cache and maybe looking into resetting the console to factory settings (though obviously only do that as a complete last resort)

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Tried redownloading the game? It certainly didn't have that issue when I played it on the Series X on release so it makes me thing that either:
a) the game didnt install properly on your console and might need redownloading
b) a bad patch has broken the game
c) the console/SSD itself is somewhat broken and causing the issue.

Here's hoping the issue is just a). Might be worth clearing cache and maybe looking into resetting the console to factory settings (though obviously only do that as a complete last resort)
I've re-downloaded the game this evening and no change. I also tried deleting the save and unplugging the console for 2 minutes to clear the cache and those didn't fix it either.

I guess it's possible it's the console failing or a full factory reset is required but it seems strange it hasn't impacted any other games at all, especially ones that are more demanding than this one - as a test I loaded Kiwami 2 back up and that is totally fine also on the internal storage.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've re-downloaded the game this evening and no change. I also tried deleting the save and unplugging the console for 2 minutes to clear the cache and those didn't fix it either.

I guess it's possible it's the console failing or a full factory reset is required but it seems strange it hasn't impacted any other games at all, especially ones that are more demanding than this one - as a test I loaded Kiwami 2 back up and that is totally fine also on the internal storage.
Very odd. Give this thread a read if you've not done so already:

Yakuza 3 Remastered - Series X Slowdown

Series X Slowdown TrueAchievements forum thread

Others are reporting the issue and there's a number of potential causes/fixes there so one of those may help.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Very odd. Give this thread a read if you've not done so already:

Yakuza 3 Remastered - Series X Slowdown

Series X Slowdown TrueAchievements forum thread

Others are reporting the issue and there's a number of potential causes/fixes there so one of those may help.
I do have an external drive plugged in so maybe that is the issue - I'll try unplugging it after work and give it another go.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So next month's show will be the last episode of Sega nama. The End of an Era (-人-)
Is that the stream that Nagoshi tends to do once a fortnight/month? That would certainly be an end of an era, seeing as that was always a great source for Yakuza related news. Lets hope that they can at least show off the alleged new Judge Eyes game before it ends.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yokohama is looking likely for Judge Eyes 2 eh? A good choice, such a big map. Hopefully it gets way more stuff added to it as parts felt somewhat empty/pointless in 7.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Figured Yokohama would be the setting for Judgment 2 when I saw the massive police station that was entirely unused in YLAD.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 7 been pretty easy... then i change to a new job right after minus a party member and now here I am struggling, using items and summons for the 1st time. Well that's a way to make this more challenging lol

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, it gets a lot more challenging

That's good then, until Chapter 7 it was going super easy.

Then Nanba left which screw my healing and made Han fight challenging. Then I change the jobs in my whole party after that to new ones and shit that Lao Ma fight with only 2 party members and low lvl jobs really was challenging, I die more there then the whole game so far.

I stopped after beating him, but that jump in difficulty really took me by surprise lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That's good then, until Chapter 7 it was going super easy.

Then Nanba left which screw my healing and made Han fight challenging. Then I change the jobs in my whole party after that to new ones and shit that Lao Ma fight with only 2 party members and low lvl jobs really was challenging, I die more there then the whole game so far.

I stopped after beating him, but that jump in difficulty really took me by surprise lol
yeah there were 2 difficulty spikes for me where I needed to grind a bit for exp and job levels

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at this first shareholders meeting lol failed it right away.

tenor.gif

Had to reload that back and read it a second time before I understood it is a paper/scissors/rock type deal, I was so confused the fist time.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Did the new version of Judgment add the option for minimap rotation?

That would genuinely make me buy it I think even though I own the PS4 version. I always enable that option on the other games and didn't understand why it was removed from the PS4 version.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Did the new version of Judgment add the option for minimap rotation?

That would genuinely make me buy it I think even though I own the PS4 version. I always enable that option on the other games and didn't understand why it was removed from the PS4 version.
No. If I remember correctly, a new young staff is the charge of UI design for Judge Eyes. I guess she didn't know the series always has that option ;p

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
That's true! I guess I'm just surprised they didn't add it to this new version since it released after 7, but I suppose if the code to rotate the map wasn't there at all in the original (rather than just the option not being surfaced in the menu) then they might have thought it not worth the trouble.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
im thinking about starting yakuza 3 any day now, i read a couple of months ago in another thread that the combat is specially not great and that i should play it in easy. i plan to do just that. my idea is to play mostly the main stuff, how do the side stories hold up in this game, any must play ones?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was always a Amon fan in 3, so... all side stories. But seriously, keep in mind doing any side story gives you good XP, and XP is what levels you up and unlocks better moves (XP works differently than 0 and Kiwami 2) so if you want the combat at its best, make sure you do as many as you can.

But stuff you wanna keep an eye out for:
Chapter 4/5 has a couple of side stories that focus around Dragon Palace - these start the quest chain to get all of Komaki's moves. Do so before chapter 5's boss to dramatically improve the combat. The quests should start when you visit the dragon palace and clear out the goons blocking the entrance.

Murder at Cafe Alps - this one starts, surprisingly enough outside of Cafe Alps. Speak to the protester. Basically if you want a mini Phoenix Wright game in your Yakuza, do this.

Tuna Fund - forget how this one triggers, but it spans both cities and multiple chapters and has some decent rewards. I just really enjoyed it for some reason.

Perfect Cup of Ramen - this one starts at Kyushu No.1 Star and again spans several chapters and locations. Basically the story of one man, a stubborn chef, and the quest for the perfect store brand Ramen.

For the trans positive side story, make sure to visit the massage parlour a few times, then Bantam.

I think there's a plot that starts in Shellac that has call backs to the first chapter, first battle of Yakuza 1. Its a really cool side story and well worth tracking down.

All the mystery of Ryuuku side stories in Okinawa are absolutely worth doing. They are usually triggered by a group of school girls.

There's one that focuses around Date, I think it triggers in New Serena? Its actually pretty important to his backstory going forward, do track it down if you can.

If you want more wacky Akimoto adventures, then there's not one but two to see. One in Okinawa I think is impossible to not trigger, and one in Kamurocho later in the game. You need Haruka for both.

Mikiyo gets two side stories that build up his backstory. One fairly early on where you patrol the market with him, and one that focuses on his upbringing. I forget how to trigger them though.

Rikiya also gets a duo of side stories (in Kamurocho). Do both of them, you need to have him with you, so that should narrow down the exact points in the game you can do them.

Well, I'm tired and wrote all that from memory, so I refer to those reasons as to any inconsistencies or omissions in my recommendations.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
I was always a Amon fan in 3, so... all side stories. But seriously, keep in mind doing any side story gives you good XP, and XP is what levels you up and unlocks better moves (XP works differently than 0 and Kiwami 2) so if you want the combat at its best, make sure you do as many as you can.

But stuff you wanna keep an eye out for:
Chapter 4/5 has a couple of side stories that focus around Dragon Palace - these start the quest chain to get all of Komaki's moves. Do so before chapter 5's boss to dramatically improve the combat. The quests should start when you visit the dragon palace and clear out the goons blocking the entrance.

Murder at Cafe Alps - this one starts, surprisingly enough outside of Cafe Alps. Speak to the protester. Basically if you want a mini Phoenix Wright game in your Yakuza, do this.

Tuna Fund - forget how this one triggers, but it spans both cities and multiple chapters and has some decent rewards. I just really enjoyed it for some reason.

Perfect Cup of Ramen - this one starts at Kyushu No.1 Star and again spans several chapters and locations. Basically the story of one man, a stubborn chef, and the quest for the perfect store brand Ramen.

For the trans positive side story, make sure to visit the massage parlour a few times, then Bantam.

I think there's a plot that starts in Shellac that has call backs to the first chapter, first battle of Yakuza 1. Its a really cool side story and well worth tracking down.

All the mystery of Ryuuku side stories in Okinawa are absolutely worth doing. They are usually triggered by a group of school girls.

There's one that focuses around Date, I think it triggers in New Serena? Its actually pretty important to his backstory going forward, do track it down if you can.

If you want more wacky Akimoto adventures, then there's not one but two to see. One in Okinawa I think is impossible to not trigger, and one in Kamurocho later in the game. You need Haruka for both.

Mikiyo gets two side stories that build up his backstory. One fairly early on where you patrol the market with him, and one that focuses on his upbringing. I forget how to trigger them though.

Rikiya also gets a duo of side stories (in Kamurocho). Do both of them, you need to have him with you, so that should narrow down the exact points in the game you can do them.

Well, I'm tired and wrote all that from memory, so I refer to those reasons as to any inconsistencies or omissions in my recommendations.
oh wow, thanks for the reply! ill play and try all of these and the rest i can find but my thing with the series is that i eventually get tired of the combat so i reach a point where i focus on the main story

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a Y6 After Hours edition that just showed up at my house. Quite a lot of money for really only the tumblers and whiskey stones (the art book is nice to have though, I guess) since the coasters are cheap, but I wanted that glassware. I haven't been much of a drinker for years but some of the trivia and facts about the different drinks in the series have had me wanting to go to the liquor store and buy some top shelf stuff. So I decided I need to acquire this.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Yakuza 0; but couldn't get into Yakuza Kiwami.
Is the entire Yakuza remastered collection worth picking up on STEAM?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm undecided as to whether I should play Kiwami 2 on my Xbox Series S or PS5.

It basically boils down to HDR vs Image Quality. Kamurocho looks great with all its neon lights on the Xbox thanks to auto HDR and it's super flat on PS5 by comparison.

But on the other hand, it's 900p on Series S (it runs using Xbox One settings) vs 1080p on PS5 (PS4 Pro settings). It's so shimmery on Series S and it's kind of distracting.

I really liked Yakuza 0; but couldn't get into Yakuza Kiwami.
Is the entire Yakuza remastered collection worth picking up on STEAM?

I didn't really like Kiwami. Zero is much better in my opinion.

Technically your next step would be to play Kiwami 2.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pro is better than Series S in that case, hardly a contest really in my opinion. Then again, PC is the superior choice than either thanks to mods and a better FPS
or just play Yakuza 2 on the PS2/3 and enjoy the uncut version of the game ;)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Pro is better than Series S in that case, hardly a contest really in my opinion. Then again, PC is the superior choice than either thanks to mods and a better FPS
or just play Yakuza 2 on the PS2/3 and enjoy the uncut version of the game ;)

Yeah, going back and forth the difference in IQ is immense. The shimmering is just too much on Series S. Also, everything seems to be rendered at the lower resolution, including UI and text. So text and button prompts and menus look blurry. But the HDR looks so good! And Quick Resume is handy for taking mini breaks to play other stuff.

Series X is probably the best of both worlds, but I think I'll stick with PS5. I simply can't deal with the shimmer. There's probably something going on besides the resolution difference. Maybe the Xbox One version doesn't have the same AA or some other form of post processing because it's real bad in comparison.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I actually never got round to playing my PS4 copy of Judgment, and now I'm stuck on whether to actually play it or wait for the PS5 version to go on sale.

Feels bad...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually never got round to playing my PS4 copy of Judgment, and now I'm stuck on whether to actually play it or wait for the PS5 version to go on sale.

Feels bad...
Just play the PS4 version. Its not a big enough step up to rebuy it unless you absolutely detect 30FPS games. The PS4 version on PS5 runs great as well, looks better thanks to the filter/lighting used so the only stuff you'll really miss is the easier trophy list, faster loading and better FPS.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been with you up until a week or two ago, when I started to use my PS5 a little more. It's not so much the FPS thing that does it for me (though that is a nice bonus), but the UI intergration, particularly with trophies.

...and the trophies are different? What's new? I never knew about this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Trophies in the PS5 version are vastly easier because two mini games are changed - Pinball and Puyo Puyo are replaced with Outrun and Virtua Fighter 2 respectively. The new mini game requirements for the two are both pretty easy (Outrun asks for a low point score, VF2 basically just requires you to spam one of Jeff's moves and you'll win 100%)
Personally I'm against Puyo's cut, I loved that mini game and the challenge requirement had me actually bother to play the game more so I thought that was a huge positive. But many people complained about it being in (because they found it too hard to clear) so Sega clearly took notice - and over reacted. Should have just cut the requirement in half rather than cut the mini game.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually terrible at Puyo Puyo, but I persisted with the trophy in Sonic Mania, so it probably would have been the same here. I actually prefer the two games that were switched in so YMMV.

That said, I basically still have Mahjong requirements gatekeeping me from about 75% of Yakuza platinums!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't so much the games that got included (especially the perfect game that is Outrun) but rather that unique content that got scrubbed instead. Pinball sucked but its only in Judge Eyes so its a pity in a way that its cut. VF2 is again an almost perfect game but its been in several Yakuza's already so it edging out Puyo is disappointing.

Oh, and by the way. Mahjong has 3 separate establishments in Judge Eyes!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up for Series X owners - Yakuza 6 has just gotten FPS boosted to 60FPS. I dont have it downloaded to try but... pretty damn awesome!

*edit*
Turns out I actually do still have 6 on my Xbox. Did the tutorial/first boss and yup, that's 60FPS alright. I really, really wish I'd not done a replay of 6 earlier this year now because having it in 60FPS would have been a much nicer experience.

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Yakuza 0 (never played the series before). I was quite lukewarm at first, but after meeting Goro Majima and finishing the subsequent Chapter 4, I think I'm getting really interested/involved. I am not a fan of the combat though, and the game has a bit too many menus and loading screens for simple things. The game feels... "stiff". I hope the combat gameplay becomes better with time. Story at least is picking up nicely. And gosh, some of these subquests are completely wacky.

On that note: I would like "that" achievement to disappear from my Steam account please. I had no idea what I was doing, and I was genuinely shocked when I realized the f*** I was watching. Like, seriously, the game goes that far?!

I'm really interested in Like a Dragon, and I was wondering how that one compares to the rest. Should I play all the games in the recommended order in the OP, or will I be able to enjoy Like a Dragon without doing that once I'm done with 0?

Last edited:

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Heads up for Series X owners - Yakuza 6 has just gotten FPS boosted to 60FPS. I dont have it downloaded to try but... pretty damn awesome!

*edit*
Turns out I actually do still have 6 on my Xbox. Did the tutorial/first boss and yup, that's 60FPS alright. I really, really wish I'd not done a replay of 6 earlier this year now because having it in 60FPS would have been a much nicer experience.

I'm extremely tempted to replay Yakuza 6 right now. I've just today finished Judgment though, and Kiwami 2 is sat half finished.

Deleted member 59

I'm part way through my Y6 playthrough and the 60fps is just so damn good. Night and day. Thanks Microsoft Wizards.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Your loss. Kiryu is played out after 3, with his bit in 4 being the weak part of the plot (basically where it really falls apart), 5 is an amazing game even after Kiryu's admittedly excellent start, and 7 is by far the best game in the series characters wise for me since Kenzan, mainly thanks to completely omitting the main cast for 80% of the game, Ichiban alone is the best thing to happen to the series in almost a decade and long may he continue to headline Yakuza games.
super late to a response, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Kiryu's part was still my favorite, but I also really liked Akiyama's fighting style.

Currently going through a playthrough of Persona 5 and once I'm done with that I'll move on to Yakuza 5. The first/last time I played that game I went through Kiryu's opening story arc but once I had to start playing as someone else I stopped. I won't be doing that this time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
super late to a response, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Kiryu's part was still my favorite, but I also really liked Akiyama's fighting style.

Currently going through a playthrough of Persona 5 and once I'm done with that I'll move on to Yakuza 5. The first/last time I played that game I went through Kiryu's opening story arc but once I had to start playing as someone else I stopped. I won't be doing that this time.
Favourite in what way? Kiryu basically gets fuck all to do in the plot, gets shafted in terms of boss fights at the end of his section, and one of his chapters is a cutscene that's a couple of minutes long. Its not close to Saejima or Akiyama's sections which are actually the only two parts of the game that are built very well - Tanimura suffers almost the same fate as Kiryu with a cutscene chapter, a chapter that is just an (excellent) boss fight, and a long battle that has you stuck wielding a briefcase for most of it.
Kiryu either deserved better, or shouldn't have been there at all. The only good two parts of his entire thing was the fight against both Tanimura and Akiyama, and his long fight. Those were great, but when I can sum up the best parts of Kiryu's part in one short sentence, its easy to see how they short changed him. At least in 5 he (and almost everyone else) gets decent story content, one gets less than the rest which is annoying but what's there is still probably comparable to what Tanimura/Kiryu got in Yakuza 4. The others all get plenty of good story content, and that's not to count the reams of side content that can last for days to see it all.
I've said it before, but Dead Souls and 4 especially suffer from the switch to multiple characters - content is stretched far to thin to accomodate 4 characters, with plots getting rushed along and certain details not getting fleshed out anywhere near enough. Both would have worked better as 2-3 character games where they could have focused on less characters but more plot - its why 0 works so darn well - because its far more focused in its design and tells two great stories side by side.
5 is a different beast, it certainly doesn't lack story content at all, just lacks better pacing where you'll have things speed up and slow down in a bizarre fashion but I still love it all the same, but one best played in moderation.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Favourite in what way? Kiryu basically gets fuck all to do in the plot, gets shafted in terms of boss fights at the end of his section, and one of his chapters is a cutscene that's a couple of minutes long. Its not close to Saejima or Akiyama's sections which are actually the only two parts of the game that are built very well - Tanimura suffers almost the same fate as Kiryu with a cutscene chapter, a chapter that is just an (excellent) boss fight, and a long battle that has you stuck wielding a briefcase for most of it.
Kiryu either deserved better, or shouldn't have been there at all. The only good two parts of his entire thing was the fight against both Tanimura and Akiyama, and his long fight. Those were great, but when I can sum up the best parts of Kiryu's part in one short sentence, its easy to see how they short changed him. At least in 5 he (and almost everyone else) gets decent story content, one gets less than the rest which is annoying but what's there is still probably comparable to what Tanimura/Kiryu got in Yakuza 4. The others all get plenty of good story content, and that's not to count the reams of side content that can last for days to see it all.
I've said it before, but Dead Souls and 4 especially suffer from the switch to multiple characters - content is stretched far to thin to accomodate 4 characters, with plots getting rushed along and certain details not getting fleshed out anywhere near enough. Both would have worked better as 2-3 character games where they could have focused on less characters but more plot - its why 0 works so darn well - because its far more focused in its design and tells two great stories side by side.
5 is a different beast, it certainly doesn't lack story content at all, just lacks better pacing where you'll have things speed up and slow down in a bizarre fashion but I still love it all the same, but one best played in moderation.
I like him the best, it's as simple as that. He's my all time favorite fictional character. Sure maybe he deserved better but that doesn't mean his involvement in Yakuza 4 dragged the game down.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I never knew that I can jump off Genda's building through this window. This is my default exit from now on.

It seems Tsukumo is a returning character and opens a PD office in Yokohama. 「横浜九十九課」 sounds like a branch office of Yagami's.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yagami always taking the stylish exit lol. Yagami branching out makes sense, though I honestly assumed the plot would just have him heaving to Ijincho to follow up a lead. Oh well, not long to wait at least!

Oh, and RGGS have a upcoming Youtube stream on Friday. It just says "Judgment Day" so far, so 15:00 GMT is when they reveal the game on Friday. Hopefully we get to see a nice amount on the stream (but its a RGGS stream so who knows)

Last edited: