• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yakuza 7 was my first Yakuza game...so after beating that, I've just started 0 since I've heard that's a great starting point. Enjoying it a ton so far. Only a couple hours in, but already I'm noticing a lack of a few quality-of-life things that Yakuza LAD had (save anywhere - except for dungeons of course, buying multiple different things from a vendor without it spitting you out of the shop menu, items not stacking, etc). Was this a big deal at the time? It's definitely a big annoying. But overall, enjoying 0 quite a bit

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Yakuza 7's story is so damn fantastic. I just reached Chapter 13 and so many MAJOR things happened it's crazy and there's more happening. So good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did the HD versions ever come out in the west? I forgot kid Ryuji in Y0 lol

My Yakuza Remastered still in plastic lol I don't even know when I will come to that, I spend too much time already with them back in the PS3 days.
Nope, Japan only. But its the best way to experience 1&2 even today (as I prefer 2 especially to the remake, and there are big parts of 1 that are better in the original game, just mainly down to how parts were designed and how they weren't given the same care in the remake). I replayed 1HD fairly recently to finally do that damn baseball challenge for Haruka, and I ended up enjoying it (as in the game, not the baseball challenge) more than I expected - 1's moves list is fairly small but everything has a practical use when fighting. I really need to replay 2HD sometime soon as its such a huge jump in quality, and I do love the original version of 2. Not sure when that'll be though - I have Dead Souls to get to again as well, not to mention the PS5 version of 7 and a replay of the first PSP game... I'm gonna be busy...

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 14

Well, I'm glad Kiryu is as powerful as he should but sadly I'll probably need to level up a bit because he's like 5 levels above Ichiban and we don't do all that much. I hate the fact i'll need to grind a bit, puts a huge break on the story that is getting insanely good. Kinda why I like but also dislike turn based, with the old system I can just git gud and play better, here I'll probably need to do some grinding to see what's next. And no, I don't really have any jobs leveled beside their unique ones and idol for saeko/enforcer for Adachi so, don't see the need for it but I might've to.

EDIT: Only leveled nanba as a host a bit for the ice move but then it was mostly burning kiryu down slowly and hoping he focus a lot on adachi because he's my character with the most def, from there it was using a couple of moves, debuffs, items and such so yay!

Last edited:

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I have been playing the english translated Black Panther and I gotta say, Sega were fools not to localize this game. It is so damn cool. The gameplay is amazing, so is the graphics and the story so far is really interesting. I really like how much of an asshole Tatsuya is at this point. He feels more like a Yakuza compared to every playable character so far which is funny because he isn't even a Yakuza.

The fact the game is forgotten about by the devs make me sad. This game deserves way better.

If they ever do go back to it I hope they keep the same combat. It is a blast. Infact, they should add other characters like Kiryu, Majima and others to the game in a side mode. Think about it, this game is more of a fighting game compared to every other game so they can use this as an excuse to give us a full on Yakuza fighter to make dream matches a thing!
Nagosi talked about it a lot in the anniversary event. So they didn't forget it. He even said Kurohyo series was his favorite and quite enjoyed writing the script for the series.
I believe the small number of players for Ishin and RGG0 on PSV is the reason why Kurohyo never got a sequel.

I didn't see this thread, So I asked this in the Yakuza 7 thread:

And got this response:

Do you all agree?
No.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nagosi talked about it a lot in the anniversary event. So they didn't forget it. He even said Kurohyo series was his favorite and quite enjoyed writing the script for the series.
I believe the small number of players for Ishin and RGG0 on PSV is the reason why Kurohyo never got a sequel.
That's very nice to hear. If he liked it that much then the chances of a remake/port got higher.

I hope that happens.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Is it a crime that I only want to play Yakuza games for the rest of my life? Of course I will still play some other games then those, but man, I didn't think those games would have such an impact on my gaming habits...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a crime that I only want to play Yakuza games for the rest of my life? Of course I will still play some other games then those, but man, I didn't think those games would have such an impact on my gaming habits...
That's pretty much what I do now. Basically Yakuza, Capcom, and then a few others. Thankfully with so many Yakuza games in existence I can just play and replay them over and over. The completion lists certainly help with that, had a blast last year focusing on Kenzan and eventually 100%ing it!

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
That's pretty much what I do now. Basically Yakuza, Capcom, and then a few others. Thankfully with so many Yakuza games in existence I can just play and replay them over and over. The completion lists certainly help with that, had a blast last year focusing on Kenzan and eventually 100%ing it!
Well yeah, there are already so many, each with their perks, I feel there is enough variation to last a lifetime. Not saying they have to stop now xD I always look forward for a new announcement. The completion lists also helps a lot with that, I hope they don't tone them down in the future.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, there are already so many, each with their perks, I feel there is enough variation to last a lifetime. Not saying they have to stop now xD I always look forward for a new announcement. The completion lists also helps a lot with that, I hope they don't tone them down in the future.
Only thing I see happening to completion lists is that they continue to make them optional - 6 and 7 both basically have it so you don't have to do (much) of them to plat the games so I think they'll just stick with that approach. I don't mind the lack of 100% requirements for the trophy lists, I just do them for fun - plus most of the time I give myself more goals to achieve for the heck of it - like perfecting Karaoke songs, clearing arcade games in 1 credit etc.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Saejima's chapter in Yakuza 5, this next chapter... I knew about it but, who the hell was asking for this at the time? haha

Like don't get me wrong I'm totally down for this (hope it doesn't get too creepy) but yeah... just so out of left field.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
People were asking for Haruka playable all the time. Thankfully though RGGS decided not to go down the route many were asking which was to change Haruka completely to some violent sukeban just for the sake of it... I mean, I get some don't like her character development in later games but come on, that would have been awful!
Only issue I have with that chapter (and much of the rest of the game) is how easy it all is. Would have been nice to have an extra difficulty option to make things harder. Or hard.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
People were asking for Haruka playable all the time. Thankfully though RGGS decided not to go down the route many were asking which was to change Haruka completely to some violent sukeban just for the sake of it... I mean, I get some don't like her character development in later games but come on, that would have been awful!
Only issue I have with that chapter (and much of the rest of the game) is how easy it all is. Would have been nice to have an extra difficulty option to make things harder. Or hard.
Interesting. You never quite know what to expect with these games which is one of the best things about them.

the whole reveal of Baba-chan was laughably silly. It was clear to me when he bailed on the Kitakata meeting that Baba was a trickster of some kind, it remains to be seen who he's working for. The climax between Saejima and Baba was just so ridiculous. He goes from smug "i never cared at all" traitor, to "I just can't pull the trigger!!" to "I'm gonna kill myself for... reasons!" in the space of like two minutes rofl. Then to end it with a boss fight after all that, absurd. But that's Yakuza at times I guess.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping there was a way to make the Haruka stuff more challenging but Legend difficulty doesn't change anything about it apparently. Kinda makes leveling her up feel pointless.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Yakuza 3 and boy this opening is a slog. Doing stuff at the orphanage was fine for a while, but this feels like it's going on forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't see this thread, So I asked this in the Yakuza 7 thread:

And got this response:

Do you all agree?

Yakuza 0 is a fine starting point if you want to begin with a modern game.
Y0 - Kiwami 1 - Kiwami 2 - Y3 - Y4 - Y5 - Y6 - Y7

Yakuza 1 PS2 if you are interested in playing release order and can still enjoy PS2 games.
Y1 - Y2 - Y3 - Y4 - Y5 - Y0 - K1 - Y6 - K2 - Y7

I'll say, it's probably best not to think about it as a daunting series to get into or how many games there are. Just try one (probably Y0) and see if you like it and then go from there.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I prefer to play in order of release date.
Yakuza 0 is a fine starting point if you want to begin with a modern game.
Y0 - Kiwami 1 - Kiwami 2 - Y3 - Y4 - Y5 - Y6 - Y7

Yakuza 1 PS2 if you are interested in playing release order and can still enjoy PS2 games.
Y1 - Y2 - Y3 - Y4 - Y5 - Y0 - K1 - Y6 - K2 - Y7

I'll say, it's probably best not to think about it as a daunting series to get into or how many games there are. Just try one (probably Y0) and see if you like it and then go from there.

For what it's worth, I didn't mention the possibility of starting with the original 1 and 2 games partly because they said they played primarily on PC, where they are not available. I still don't know if that's what I'd recommend, but it's definitely an option if they have access to a Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For what it's worth, I didn't mention the possibility of starting with the original 1 and 2 games partly because they said they played primarily on PC, where they are not available. I still don't know if that's what I'd recommend, but it's definitely an option if they have access to a Playstation.
You can always pick up the PS2 copies on eBay or wherever for fairly cheap and emulate them.

Edit, but again the overwhelming majority of people won't want to start with PS2 games, so it's not at all to say someone needs to start there or any of that. It's just as good to start with Yakuza 0 as well.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, emulating the original PS2 versions of 1&2 are actually the best ways to play them in English since it eliminates the load times for random encounters while also upressing them really well. I did a run on Yakuza 1 via PC literally the day the HD remasters of 1&2 were released and aside from the QoL changes the remaster got, emulating it was basically an identical experience since otherwise it looked and played the same.

I personally subscribe to the "release order" way of playing the games. I like to see the games evolve from PS2/3/4/5 and it really helps you see how the series has evolved over the last 15 years. However I don't expect many to follow this order since most probably just want to play them on one platform.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Something cool from Nagoshi:

While I doubt the series will leave Asia anytime soon (or Japan for that matter), I'm glad that they would look to Europe and not America as a setting. America is such a boring and overused choice...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree with him. More European cities definitely deserve to get some recognition in games. That being said: I do hope the Yakuza series stays in Japan or if it really needs to expand then it should definitely stay in Asia (Taiwan could be a cool setting for example). That being said: I also doubt the series will be leaving Japan anytime soon.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Just rage quit the stupid car chase in Kiwami. I had no problems with the same type sequence in 0 but this is just infuriating. I haven't been this frustrated by a segment in a game since the final boss in Sekiro.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Progressed a bit further in Y5

Was a bit bored with Haruka's chapter but that mother/daughter budding relationship was actually really sweet, so nice that Haruka might actually get a mother figure in here life and- ... well I guess I could've seen that coming. And if I'm honest I totally did see it coming although I was shocked by how dark it was. Suicide? And Haruka sees a pool of blood as she's wheeled away? Intense.

Still totally expecting some fake out because this is Yakuza after all, but the stakes certainly feel raised as I take over as Akiyama.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
After literal years of saying I was finally going to sit down and try to learn mahjong so I can actually 100% Yakuza games, I actually did it last night and this morning! Bad news: I'm in Yakuza 0 right now, and I got all of the CP mahjong objectives done except for going out with a full straight in like an hour, then have since spent like 6 hours trying to get the straight to absolutely no avail. I'm....fairly annoyed. I've gotten 1 tile away twice but that's it.

Edit: Of course I got it on my 3rd hand this morning. Complaining always works!

What an enormous sigh of relief. I still need to do a ton of other side stuff (I'm awful at pool, and I still need to also figure out Shogi but that has seemed way less daunting from what I've dabbled with and I could probably cheat using an online AI thing if I had to I suppose) but Mahjong has always been this super brick wall for me across the entire series and I finally cracked it.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
After a bit of a break I've resumed playing Kiwami 2 in preparation for the release of 3, 4, and 5 on Game Pass at the end of the month. I was gonna start playing my copy of 7 but someone said I should hold off on it until I've finished 2 and play 3-6, so I'm back on it. Spent the whole weekend grinding out the missions on Majima Construction and am now back onto Club Four Shine. The construction clan wasn't too tough but it was time consuming and I didn't really have much fun with it; it just wasn't what I wanted to be doing. The dinner with the Three Musketeers and drinks with them, Majima, Muoto, and Chono though were some of my favorite things in the game so far. The Three Musketeers talking shit on how the others talk had me rolling.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Yakuza remastered collection and I'm regretting not having bought it sooner because I lost my window of opportunity to have bought the day one edition.

So I'm playing through Yakuza 3 and about substories - I realized that you could finish some preemptively without completing them the way they are supposed to. Is there anyway to retry them and complete the right way in the same playthrough or would I have to start a new playthrough get to those substories all over again?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Yakuza remastered collection and I'm regretting not having bought it sooner because I lost my window of opportunity to have bought the day one edition.

So I'm playing through Yakuza 3 and about substories - I realized that you could finish some preemptively without completing them the way they are supposed to. Is there anyway to retry them and complete the right way in the same playthrough or would I have to start a new playthrough get to those substories all over again?

The only way you can redo them is in Premium Adventure after beating the game. That being said: If I remember correctly you don't need to pass them all to face the secret boss. It's enough to just complete them (correct me on that one if I'm wrong shadowman16).

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The only way you can redo them is in Premium Adventure after beating the game. That being said: If I remember correctly you don't need to pass them all to face the secret boss. It's enough to just complete them (correct me on that one if I'm wrong shadowman16).
thanks, that is good to know. and premium adventure always unlocks once you beat the game iirc. will all the substories just automatically be back on the map or just the ones that were incomplete/improperly completed?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
thanks, that is good to know. and premium adventure always unlocks once you beat the game iirc. will all the substories just automatically be back on the map or just the ones that were incomplete/improperly completed?

Correct, it unlocks once you beat the game. :) Yakuza 3 is the only one I didn't spend much time in Premium Adventure or complted a substories, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on it. But normally you can decide about your progress carrying over to Premium Adventure (meaning the ones you already completed won't show up again) but as far as I know wanting to redo substories means you would have to start from scratch with all substories (meaning all of them would be back on the map. Reminder that some of them only show up when meeting certain conditions, like showing up at a certain place with another character on your side at night etc.)

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The hype around 7's localisation has spurred me to grab an English copy and to hop back into my Japanese Premium New Game playthrough.

Just finished up Ex Hard mode, and the last fight was tough to say the least. Turns out you can change difficulty just before the end if you care about an easier trophy run, which i was unaware of so i went and played the whole thing in Ex Hard, but it really forced you to strategize. Only trophies left before I start the English release are the Hard mode one (which doesn't unlock even if you clear it on Ex Hard) and the final challenge one, which means grinding is needed. Oh joy.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Played 0 and it's one of the best games ever made honestly. I didn't have a single complaint, and there's a thousand things for me t still check out as well.

Moved on to Kiwami 1, currently on Chapter 10 and I'm enjoying it, though it doesn't measure up to 0. Picked up and finished chapter 1 of 7 yesterday too - it's fantastic so far, and as a major turn-based RPG fan, right up my alley.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Probably mentioned before, but it looks like the Xbox version hits Japan on the 25th of February as Yakuza 7 International, prior to the PS5 release. Have the ps5 version pre-ordered as there's no Japanese upgrade scheme.

Also, playing Online again more frequently lately, and i have the strangest inkling we'll be getting a Ryuji game in the future. He's basically the second protagonist of Online after Kasuga.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those that have played Black Panther, I've got a question. I've visited one of the stores and bought an item that suggested it would increase one of my stats, but I couldn't find a way to equip it. Do you just have to hold it in your inventory or is this something that gets explained later on?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have played Black Panther, I've got a question. I've visited one of the stores and bought an item that suggested it would increase one of my stats, but I couldn't find a way to equip it. Do you just have to hold it in your inventory or is this something that gets explained later on?
Just keep it in your inventory. Both Kurohyou games are weird like that where just having the items on you is enough.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Probably mentioned before, but it looks like the Xbox version hits Japan on the 25th of February as Yakuza 7 International, prior to the PS5 release. Have the ps5 version pre-ordered as there's no Japanese upgrade scheme.

Also, playing Online again more frequently lately, and i have the strangest inkling we'll be getting a Ryuji game in the future. He's basically the second protagonist of Online after Kasuga.

Is Online canon? Kinda surprised they never localised it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is Online canon? Kinda surprised they never localised it.
No, not cannon at all. Ichiban's plot is completely contradictory to 7's plot and so many characters in Online and 7 are similar to each other in terms of basic character trait (one girl, one detective/cop character, leader of enemy faction, dependent friend... and Mitsu).
Only things that 7 and Online have in common is the basic idea (Ichiban going to prison and betrayed by his "father", Omi taking over Kamurocho, and certain characters like Ichiban, Mitsu, Sawashiro, Arakawa appear in both. But 7 fleshes all of those out way more compared to the paper thin stuff in Online.

Ryuuji's content was supposed to be cannon to the main games, but the last chapter basically killed that dead - what with Ichiban meeting certain characters years earlier than he's supposed to.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
And there's the trophy for clearing Hard mode. Only one DLC trophy left. (Supposedly today's also my one year anniversary of playing 7 too)

Nice to know that once you clear NG+, you go back to getting abysmal amounts of XP. Is the grinding method fully accessible prior to the endgame? I'd rather reload a safe prior to that to grind levels if it speeds it up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up if you are still waiting for some PS4 Yakuza games - a number are on sale cheap. Yakuza 0 is just £3.99 now, which is insultingly cheap at this point. The remasters are around £7.99 each, which is a steal for Yakuza 5.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
They massacred the UFO Catcher in Kiwami 2. Without the full side-on view I can never figure out how far back the claw needs to go. The little pivot to the side just isn't enough.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They massacred the UFO Catcher in Kiwami 2. Without the full side-on view I can never figure out how far back the claw needs to go. The little pivot to the side just isn't enough.
Reading the first few words, I assumed you were annoyed at the physics and not the camera on that mini game. Because the physics certainly don't help you any either (I swear some of those dog plushies are glued down). I think it gets a bit easier in Judge Eyes or 7, or maybe I just played both enough that I got the hang of it... but either way, I definitely prefer Yakuza 5's UFO Catchers in terms of control (and toys, 5 has the best variety!)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the first few words, I assumed you were annoyed at the physics and not the camera on that mini game. Because the physics certainly don't help you any either (I swear some of those dog plushies are glued down). I think it gets a bit easier in Judge Eyes or 7, or maybe I just played both enough that I got the hang of it... but either way, I definitely prefer Yakuza 5's UFO Catchers in terms of control (and toys, 5 has the best variety!)

Yeah the physics are definitely an issue too. I really enjoyed it in the Y5 engine games but this just doesn't seem well thought out. It would help if they had a light in the cabinet to cast a shadow so you could see the location of the claw better. It's just such a weird change- it's technically seems more realistic but ignores the fact that in real life you can actually perceive depth.

Tim-E

Oct 31, 2017

The only way I ever got prizes in Kiwami 2 was to keep trying screwing up, which would slightly nudge the toy closer to the chute and eventually it would just fall down there.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of Kiwami 2, am I the only one that didn't initially recognize Yuki? The character model looks to be in her mid 20s at most and the pink glasses really threw me off as well.