• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm still on chapter 5 of Yakuza 6. Just messing around mainly, just unlocked the Snack Gaudi mini game (which I loved my first time round, looking forward to replay it). Money is all sorts broken in this game already - I have around 3mil yen and that's AFTER spending the mil signing the former pro Baseball star. Between fights, fishing and Kiryu Clan, you'll have a never ending supply. Granted its not like other games didn't have you super rich at one point, but its not usually within the opening couple of chapters!

Messing around with the combat more and I do quite like the Kurohyou (2) inspired wall heat move - where you can hit someone into a wall during normal combat, stun them, and follow up with a new heat move. Granted its most likely a coincidence that it works similar to the PSP games, but its cool none the less.

Oh, and the stream announcement thread is going exactly as I envisioned. People asking for localisations, Xbox ports and other stupid stuff. What part of "Japanese stream for Japanese fans" means to announce stuff completely not relevant to that part of the fanbase?

Oct 25, 2017
I really need a push in the right direction here.

tl;dr backstory: got my PS4 in 2018, fell in love with Y0, decided to go through the whole series, am now on Y5. Have skipped most optional side content in games 0–4 because I was so eager to see the story through but pivoted toward wanting to do 100% runs starting with 5.

I'm now in the final act. I've BEEN in the final act for months. I just... can't muster the motivation to keep grinding out every single little item on the 100% checklist. But the sunk cost fallacy is definitely in full force, because I've already done a ton of the menial tasks I otherwise never would have touched if not for my pursuit of the platinum.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'll finish out the 100% stuff specific to Haruka during her final playable bit (as from what I understand she's the only character you can't go back and play as) and then create a separate save right before the point of no return. Then, if I ever do get around to my dream of platinuming this (which would require a hard mode replay anyway), I'll kick that playthrough off by... uh... first spending 70 hours finishing out the 100% requirements from my current playthrough.

Does this sound feasible to anyone? I really want to play 6 and Judgment before Y7 hits the PS5, but at this rate it will never happen because I'm so utterly demotivated to finish every optional bit of 5 (the amount of heat actions I still haven't discovered is staggering).

I am clearly not a well-adjusted adult capable of making easy video game-related decisions for himself, so I turn my fate over to you fine Yakuza-Era folk!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, just like I expected, that Yakuza stream really was just a anniversary stream. Still can't quite believe some of the hopes/requests from the other thread though, quite why anyone though Xbox ports were getting announced there is rather bizarre... Can't say I'd be surprised if they go most of next year before really showing off anything from the new game (probably Summer/TGS as per usual).

Anyway, no progress made with 6's story (I wonder just who is even looking after Haruto now...) but I did more of the Clan stuff (first of the NJPW crew down) and I also started dabbling in the Snack convo's (which are just as great as I thought, some of the response choices are brilliant). Now I'll... still ignore the plot, I got baseball to play!

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the Kiryu Clan storyline, but there are some missions after that and those are well a bit harder :D I guess I start leveling. I know I can use overpowered cards, but I want to try it without them for now... only one mission left in Kamurocho...

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Kurohyou seems unlikely. Nagoshi needs to remember that series exists before making a sequel.
But the main character looks so cool.

And the main theme is so cool.

I know it's a long shot but I would love this to come back in some way, it was really interesting and if the source code was able to be preserved it would make a really good switch title due to it's portability.

At the very least, if they decide to focus on RPG's for Ichiban and refining the gameplay of 7 to make it more balanced and excellent, it would be a good palate cleanser to remind folks that the beat-em-ups aren't going away.

Either way, hopefully the stream goes well!

Oct 27, 2017
I really need a push in the right direction here.

tl;dr backstory: got my PS4 in 2018, fell in love with Y0, decided to go through the whole series, am now on Y5. Have skipped most optional side content in games 0–4 because I was so eager to see the story through but pivoted toward wanting to do 100% runs starting with 5.

I'm now in the final act. I've BEEN in the final act for months. I just... can't muster the motivation to keep grinding out every single little item on the 100% checklist. But the sunk cost fallacy is definitely in full force, because I've already done a ton of the menial tasks I otherwise never would have touched if not for my pursuit of the platinum.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'll finish out the 100% stuff specific to Haruka during her final playable bit (as from what I understand she's the only character you can't go back and play as) and then create a separate save right before the point of no return. Then, if I ever do get around to my dream of platinuming this (which would require a hard mode replay anyway), I'll kick that playthrough off by... uh... first spending 70 hours finishing out the 100% requirements from my current playthrough.

Does this sound feasible to anyone? I really want to play 6 and Judgment before Y7 hits the PS5, but at this rate it will never happen because I'm so utterly demotivated to finish every optional bit of 5 (the amount of heat actions I still haven't discovered is staggering).

I am clearly not a well-adjusted adult capable of making easy video game-related decisions for himself, so I turn my fate over to you fine Yakuza-Era folk!
Honestly? Just save what you did and then mainline the story until you beat it. Yakuza 5 is so damn exhausting due to the amount of content it has. Once you do feel the itch to 100% it then redo the story stuff again. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours.

If you want to Platinum something I would start with 6. It is much easier there and you can 100% after the story is finished if you want.

I myself never fully completed any other Yakuza other than 6. I love the games but it is really easy to burn yourself out if you try and 100% the first time through.

So yeah, just save your progress for a later time and then play the rest of the series without 100% them so you are ready for 7 then once you do feel like you want to 100% one of the games, do it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I am still in need of desperate help for Kiwami 2. I'm trying to complete the batting cage request for Haruka, but I can't unlock the home run competition. I got like an S or an A for the first three home run courses, am I supposed to do anything else?

like, do I have to get an S/A in all 5 cages?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
But the main character looks so cool.

And the main theme is so cool.

I know it's a long shot but I would love this to come back in some way, it was really interesting and if the source code was able to be preserved it would make a really good switch title due to it's portability.

At the very least, if they decide to focus on RPG's for Ichiban and refining the gameplay of 7 to make it more balanced and excellent, it would be a good palate cleanser to remind folks that the beat-em-ups aren't going away.

Either way, hopefully the stream goes well!

I know the game is cool. I've finished both of them. But my point is, its a very, very niche sub series so the odds of it ever getting touched again are slim. Like, Kenzan is a pretty small time game in the series in terms of popularity but its still just about popular enough that RGGS have talked about it recently, going so far as to detail certain things they'd change if they were to remake it. Kurohyou however hasn't had so much as a card unlock in RGG Online (and trust me, the bar for those cards these days is best described as "scraping the bottom of the barrel".

And I have separate reservations over how a remake would be handled - if done differently (not to say badly) it could affect its unique combat and cutscene aesthetic - that is to say if they decide to use the Dragon Engine instead of the companies that handled the combat and cutscenes... yeah it'll suffer in certain ways.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I know the game is cool. I've finished both of them. But my point is, its a very, very niche sub series so the odds of it ever getting touched again are slim. And I have separate reservations over how a remake would be handled - if done differently (not to say badly) it could affect its unique combat and cutscene aesthetic - that is to say if they decide to use the Dragon Engine instead of the companies that handled the combat and cutscenes... yeah it'll suffer in certain ways.
I'm aware it's not very likely or possible, but I appreciate the further clarification.

Ugh.... Just make a new game then in the same style ; 0 ;

I'm sure they could bullshit a way to use 90% of the movesets and animations already in all the other games so far to make it work, they still use 0 animations that were made before the 0 engine even!

I just want it....

Regardless, I'm sure even if it gets passed up, there will be some creative games in the future.

As an aside, I hope they take the party member aspect of Ichiban's first outing and apply it creatively in the future as they had with "Y6 Spoiler character."

I think both Kaoru and Yayoi Dojima would be super rad ladies to bring back into this system, and would fit a mature element for lady characters that is honestly never in RPG's that Yakuza is in a very unique position to accomplish. Plus, Yayoi already has precident with the Matriarch DLC class having an honestly pretty on-point skillset for her. Kaoru is known to have low stamina but high power, so she could definitely be a glass cannon that would excel in a party rather then being backup for Kiryu.

Just feels like a slam dunk, Especially since a majority of the playable cast in Y7 is already middle aged men, which is wholly unique in it's own way : P

But I might just want them to have more time in the sunlight and a chance to get expanded on. What characters could you see making it as party members and how would you think they could fight?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure existing animations would really gel well with the completely different fighting engine the PSP games use. I think most of/all those animations were unique. I'd want Yukes (I think it was) back doing the combat, maybe refine the combat slightly - its an incredibly excellent combat system but if they could remove the need to hammer the "X" button 100,000,000 to get up that'd be awesome, and improve multi person battles (the lock on/targetting for those sucks) it'd be perfect. But its one of those things I don't want other engines used instead - as the combat is one of the most unique parts of it - it's not a million miles removed from Yakuza of old but its still very different will how fights and bosses are handled, much of it for the better I'd say. So I'd absolutely not want to see that ruined, the boss fights in both games are incredibly well done because they don't really feel cheep, or easy, or anything like that but they do feel challenging, yet you can still counter pretty much all of their attacks with skill.

Also yeah, more ladies in any future game for sure... Eri and Saeko were great party members in 7 (Eri more in fights than plot, she was a monster damage wise). I'm down for Hana finally returning, 4 already showed she can kick ass... about time her and Akiyama showed up again.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Kurohyou seems unlikely. Nagoshi needs to remember that series exists before making a sequel.
At least he dose remember Kurohyo and it seems he likes or only he in the studio likes the series.

I expected RGG7 on PS5 news gets less backlashes than I expected. Nobody cares PS5 in Japan or probably less people know it gets free upgrade for PS4 owners overseas

Last edited:

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Yay beat the last hard clan battles in kamurocho without cheat cards :D with only 4 justis people and joe and masao, not a lot of time to spare, but done is done. Guess I can go on with the story now

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've not been touching the Clan stuff too much. Got distracted with the Snack Bar stuff and been doing that instead (which I love). I'm up to the part where you storm the hotel (which is one of my favourite long fights) so that should be fun! Its gonna be weird going back to Kamurocho though... such a difference in activities between the areas, I still have so much of the arcade etc. to chip away at. Curious to see just how long the 100% on this game takes me to hit.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The Snack Bar in Yakuza 6 is one of my favorite side activities. It was fun learning about all those charcters and I genuinely cared about them. I didn't do all of it in one go, but rather returned multiple times to the snack bar, so that made it feel like I was hanging out with friends after a long day of work, haha. Good stuff!

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Clan battles are done in Onomichi too :D chapter 10 already, it is all story except that last substory and troubler missions now.

And wow, that story is sure kicking in.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started Yakuza 5 after a six month break after completing 4. I commented in the Remasters OT after finishing 4 that I'm not sure how Kiryu got from wanting to clean up the mess of the Tojo Clan to apparently abandoning that idea to become a taxi driver in 5. After finishing his section in 5, I still don't know what that reason is but something major must have happened for him to move to another to another city away from Haruka living under a different name. As far as the setup goes, the story is pretty intriguing. A lot of the new characters are entertaining or interesting like Aoyama, Nakajima, Morinaga, Madarame, Yahata and Watase. They've all made an impression on me in the little I've seen of them. Our boy Daigo is at the centre of another plot. Little did I know when I played that one substory in Yakuza 0 that that dude would be the most recurring character in the series after Kiryu and Majima.

Combat wise, I'm definitely feeling the refinement. It's smoother and there seems to be more options. I felt that more with the brief segment I've played of Saejima so far. Grabbing dudes legs has never been cooler. The weapon leveling system is interesting although it seems like a pain in a game with multiple playable characters. I wouldn't mind seeing it return in a single protagonist Yakuza game. It gives me more reason to use weapons and it was satisfying doing that gauntlet at the end of Kiryu's section and hitting a billion guys at once with one swing and the levels going up really quickly. That gauntlet section is great by the way.

Speaking of levels, the level cap at 20 when it can later be brought up to 25 blows. I'm skipping some substories I would like to do straight away but want some easy experience once that cap is off near the end of the game. Don't know why they thought that was a good idea. The reduction of Revelations is also a bit of a bummer since I'm a big fan of them. There's now weapon revelations now which I don't fully understand and haven't gotten one to activate yet.

So Nagasugai. Can't say it's left much of an impression on me as a city. It's a bit awkward to move around in sometimes and it doesn't have as strong an atmosphere as previous locations. That said, I do really like the taxi driver missions. I wish there was more. Perhaps there is only so much variety they could do with them in a small map but following road laws was fun. There's some fun dialogue in the conversation missions but I really wish I got to do more driving. The races are fun enough but there's mot much too them. Wish there were more driving heat moves.

Overall, the game is rad so far. The completionist stuff was always my favourite thing about Yakuza and I've completed 0-4 all 100%. Hearing that 5 has way more of that stuff gets me excited so I don't think I'll get burnt out in that regard. Looking forward to getting into Saejima's segment. Looks like he's in prison again.

On an aside, is there a list of the heat actions that can be expanded on in this game anywhere? Cyric doesn't have them in his guide. He lists all the ones that can be expanded in Y4 which I imagine are also here too but that doesn't include Shinada when I get to him.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Heat moves wise, this was the one I used:

Heat Move List II - Yakuza 5

For Yakuza 5 on the PlayStation 3, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Heat Move List II".

(ah, the good ol' days of Gamefaqs forum posts that were actually useful!)

For 5 - I recommend playing it in chunks. That game is gigantic especially since (like me) your 100%ing it. I always comment that its like several smaller Yakuza games. The amount of content included in each character/city is insane. Just so much stuff. Its easily my favourite in the series for this reason alone (and the combat) but to avoid burnout, definitely take breaks.

Oh, and when you get to the arena, as that's easily super grindy, I recommend doing the following to minimise the grind:
Dont finish Victory Road - as in - don't do the bit in the arena just yet. I'll explain why in a minute.
Rank the characters up in this order: Shinada, Akiyama, Kiryu/Saejima

Why do it this way? 5 in its infinite wisdom decided to keep a ranking chart of all the fighters and they gain/lose points as they fight. Now, to unlock every GP for your character you have to get them to rank 3/4 (I forget which) and as you rank one character up, that means the next characters will need to rank up even more to leap frog the last character you leveled. As Shinada and Akiyama are the most weak in the arena, you'll wanna do them first in order to get them out of the way quicker. Saejima and Kiryu are monsters so you can leave them until last.
Also, once you finish Victory Road, you add another fighter into the arena, and he's ranked No.1 so if you beat him first, it means you'll have to grind even more, so dont do that yet!

Anyway, catching up on yesterdays Game Awards news and its cool to see Sega bringing the rest of the series to PC and Xbox. This is especially great news for Steam, as it means moddable Yakuza games! Wanna get Yakuza 5 or 6 without any cut music? Yes please... also 6 running at a higher FPS will be awesome indeed.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm getting the collection for Christmas on PS4, just announced on PC / Game Pass otherwise I would have played it there.

Crazy to think my gameplays will be across the board considering this was Playstation only for so long.

Zero - Played on Steam
Kiwami - Played on PS4
Kiwami 2 - Played on PC Game Pass

3, 4, 5 - Wil play PS4
6 - Will play on PC Game Pass

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Branching out to other platforms was a wise move for the series. More fans = not a bad thing and I'd imagine MS paid them nicely for getting the games onto GP day one.

Also, with all the main numbered games on all major next gen platforms, they can focus on making new Yakuza games. Which has me most excited!

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Do we know if any of these will see enhancements (resolution/fps) on Xbox? I'm guessing 6 will definitely get the Y7 treatment bring a dragon engine game.

I currently own them all on PS4 but would love if they gave an upgrade for all next gen console owners on both platforms.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if any of these will see enhancements (resolution/fps) on Xbox? I'm guessing 6 will definitely get the Y7 treatment bring a dragon engine game.

I currently own them all on PS4 but would love if they gave an upgrade for all next gen console owners on both platforms.
Unlikely any of them will, at least until Sega confirm it. The remasters were already 4K(ish) and 60FPS on PS4 Pro so probably just that. Now if they wanted to be kind they could fix some of the little quirks with the remasters that the originals didn't have (some odd physics based things due to the FPS being increased to 60FPS) but seeing as those were never fixed on the PS4, I won't hold my breath.

As for 6, one can dream but I don't see it happening (please prove me wrong Sega). It'd require that game to be retooled to handle the higher FPS, and I'm wondering if they are doing more of a quick and dirty last gen port instead (more realistically I'm hoping 6 is at least less of a train wreck on the Series S than it was on base PS4)

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
All right, final chapter of Yakuza 6, trying to spawn one troublr mission that still doesnt show up and one final substory to do before finishing the story.

And what a story it is :D last chapters a lot has happened and I love it

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Yakuza 3 and I hate running the hostess club. It is boring and I can figure out what the game game consider refined, cute, gorgeous, ect. I think I'm just going to skip finishing that one.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
And Yakuza 6 is finished. Well, that was a wild ride. :D

Well only dead souls and like a dragon left. But first some other games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Yakuza 3 and I hate running the hostess club. It is boring and I can figure out what the game game consider refined, cute, gorgeous, ect. I think I'm just going to skip finishing that one.
Just use a guide, there are a few out there that tell you exactly what to equip. You can just save them as presets and swap between them as need be. It won't help make the mini game any more fun, but at least you can blast through it. Also - note that you need to finish it once in order to fight Amon (and Amon in 3 gets a badass fight, so its worth doing just for that)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spent part of today working through more Yakuza 6. Did some plot related stuff, but mainly just side content now that I'm back in Kamurocho...

I really think, despite several glaring shortcomings in the game that the cities are great especially since they work so well as polar opposites. Hiroshima is this quiet place, not much to do (however it still has its own unique and fun mini games) while Kamurocho comes across as a loud and flashy place - lots of neon, tons of NPCs walking about, and tons of different activities to partake in like the arcade, Mahjong parlours, hostess clubs etc. Heck - even the Poppo Mart and Don Quixote is a luxury!
And just as a side note - it still impresses me how great Kamurocho at night looks. The neon and lights pop so nicely, its definitely my favourite improvement to the new engine graphics wise as the lighting etc. really immerses me more.

Side story wise, its kinda funny how some of them indirectly hark back to Yakuza 1 - namely how Kiryu finds himself wrapped up in scams, however he's older and wiser and figures out that its a scam immediately and goes along with them just to beat the dudes up. Also, I love how the scams used get with the times - namely stuff involving phones/hacking/pre paid cards etc. Its one of those little details that Yakuza does throughout its series that just adds to its quality.

Mini game wise I started doing some Mahjong (great fun as per usual), Super Hang On (love it, even if I'm not the greatest when it comes to the game, cleared the first two "areas" at least), Virtua Fighter 5 FS (legendary) and the Hostess Club. I can't say that I like the hostess stuff... it just waters down the dialogue way too much, sometimes you'll get some cool dialogue and other times it'll be pointless. I'd rather have had just a couple of well written hostesses myself, without the card system (I really dont care for that mechanic at all).

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I loved both cities in the game. Sometimes I did just some walking to experience them. Kamurocho is so loud at night, all kinds of music when you pass clubs. And Onomichi is just so calming. I really gonna miss that now I completed the Kiryu storyline.

Yeah that hostess stuff. It's kinda weird if you were used to the other style. It was something else indeed, but I didnt hate it. My skills were already maxed out though, so I didnt need those drink and food cards and could swap every card I didnt like, so maybe that change the experience of it. The story of each hostess could be more fleshed out indeed.

I feel like empty now. I started two years ago with Zero and after that I completed that game, I just had to complete Kiwami and Kiwami 2 after each other. Oh, and after that, I just had to play Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise. I did wait for the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 to continue, so while playing other games, I also finished Judgment. When the remasters were released in the west, I couldnt any longer to continue the storyline of Kiryu. Played 3 and 4 after each other. After that I took a little break, because Streets of Rage 4 released in physical format and I finally played the game to platinum status. Also one friend of mine was always talking about Xenoblade Chronicles and with the DE version it seemed the right time to start and finish it now. What a long and fun game it was. And then it was Yakuza 5 and 6 after each other. What a ride. I'm happy I could play the Yakuza series in such a 'short' period of each other.

All those substories, minigames, storylines, characters ect were such a welcome distraction from other games. Such variety in each game. It is nuts.

Well I still have to do dead souls on ps3 (no chance of a remaster here) and for Yakuza 7 I'm still debating if I want to wait for the PS5 version or go ahead with the PS4 version. If those savegames were transferable, the choice would be much easier...

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yeah I loved both cities in the game. Sometimes I did just some walking to experience them. Kamurocho is so loud at night, all kinds of music when you pass clubs. And Onomichi is just so calming. I really gonna miss that now I completed the Kiryu storyline.

Yeah that hostess stuff. It's kinda weird if you were used to the other style. It was something else indeed, but I didnt hate it. My skills were already maxed out though, so I didnt need those drink and food cards and could swap every card I didnt like, so maybe that change the experience of it. The story of each hostess could be more fleshed out indeed.

I feel like empty now. I started two years ago with Zero and after that I completed that game, I just had to complete Kiwami and Kiwami 2 after each other. Oh, and after that, I just had to play Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise. I did wait for the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 to continue, so while playing other games, I also finished Judgment. When the remasters were released in the west, I couldnt any longer to continue the storyline of Kiryu. Played 3 and 4 after each other. After that I took a little break, because Streets of Rage 4 released in physical format and I finally played the game to platinum status. Also one friend of mine was always talking about Xenoblade Chronicles and with the DE version it seemed the right time to start and finish it now. What a long and fun game it was. And then it was Yakuza 5 and 6 after each other. What a ride. I'm happy I could play the Yakuza series in such a 'short' period of each other.

All those substories, minigames, storylines, characters ect were such a welcome distraction from other games. Such variety in each game. It is nuts.

Well I still have to do dead souls on ps3 (no chance of a remaster here) and for Yakuza 7 I'm still debating if I want to wait for the PS5 version or go ahead with the PS4 version. If those savegames were transferable, the choice would be much easier...
Just start now, it's not gonna matter in three months if you play it to completion now, don't hold back from an already great time.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Heat moves wise, this was the one I used:

Heat Move List II - Yakuza 5

For Yakuza 5 on the PlayStation 3, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Heat Move List II".

(ah, the good ol' days of Gamefaqs forum posts that were actually useful!)

For 5 - I recommend playing it in chunks. That game is gigantic especially since (like me) your 100%ing it. I always comment that its like several smaller Yakuza games. The amount of content included in each character/city is insane. Just so much stuff. Its easily my favourite in the series for this reason alone (and the combat) but to avoid burnout, definitely take breaks.

Oh, and when you get to the arena, as that's easily super grindy, I recommend doing the following to minimise the grind:
Dont finish Victory Road - as in - don't do the bit in the arena just yet. I'll explain why in a minute.
Rank the characters up in this order: Shinada, Akiyama, Kiryu/Saejima

Why do it this way? 5 in its infinite wisdom decided to keep a ranking chart of all the fighters and they gain/lose points as they fight. Now, to unlock every GP for your character you have to get them to rank 3/4 (I forget which) and as you rank one character up, that means the next characters will need to rank up even more to leap frog the last character you leveled. As Shinada and Akiyama are the most weak in the arena, you'll wanna do them first in order to get them out of the way quicker. Saejima and Kiryu are monsters so you can leave them until last.
Also, once you finish Victory Road, you add another fighter into the arena, and he's ranked No.1 so if you beat him first, it means you'll have to grind even more, so dont do that yet!

Anyway, catching up on yesterdays Game Awards news and its cool to see Sega bringing the rest of the series to PC and Xbox. This is especially great news for Steam, as it means moddable Yakuza games! Wanna get Yakuza 5 or 6 without any cut music? Yes please... also 6 running at a higher FPS will be awesome indeed.
Thanks for that. This will be helpful. I noticed that that the Coliseum was gonna be really grindy in this one with 4 characters being able to fight in it and it only being available at the end. The two characters in Y4 could be separated if you did it in Saejima's segment. Yea, I'll see how I feel with taking breaks. I did want to have it done by Christmas which may be wishful thinking.

Gotten quite a bit further with Saejima in Y5 and his tanky charge combat is definitely as fun as ever. I was surprised how late in his segment, you actually get to a city, outside of those astral projection bits in prison. A lot of the new characters for Saejima are pretty good. His prison mates are cool and the hunter village has some decent ones too.

The hunter stuff is pretty fun, if a bit simple. I did it all before leaving to Tshukimino so Baba was just waiting in the dude's hut for days on end. The story was also pretty interesting. I didn't expect the hunting to involve shooting. For some reason, every time I heard about Saejima hunting, I was picturing him throwing spears at animals :P

I'm liking Tshukimino a lot more than Nagasugai. The wintery atmosphere really brings a lot. It does have a fairly simple grid design but there's a decent amount of nooks and crannies to look into. The thin paths where you're not allowed to walk on the road can be a bit annoying if you're trying to avoid fights. Phone booth placement, like Nagasugai, is also not good. Put them right next to shops where I'll need them, god damn it. The sense of humour that we all love about Yakuza seems to be in full swing in this town with the Santa Saejima mission and the one where you're carrying food on a slippy road and there's a fucking conga line of people just flying down the path on their arse. Also that snowman heat action might be the weirdest one yet. A lot of substories have opened up but I'm not doing them because I hit the level cap pretty quickly due to doing all the hunting first. Stupid level cap. Winter combat is a fun minigame.

Anyway, still greatly enjoying the game. Looking forward to playing as Akiyama with his sweet kicks though.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking Tshukimino a lot more than Nagasugai. The wintery atmosphere really brings a lot. It does have a fairly simple grid design but there's a decent amount of nooks and crannies to look into.

That's because it's what Sapporo is like in real life, since it was a city designed in the American style. I'm sure there's some PS3 limitation but it's genuinely similar to the real life location.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Sapporo... such a nice place to explore especially at this time of year. The ice sculpture area in the top part of the map is excellent. Its easily my favourite out of 5's new cities, its not perfect but its atmosphere is fantastic and it looks terrific on the PS4 once the sun goes down and its night time.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
About to dive into this series with yakuza 0. Any tips?
There's no autosave, always go to a phone somewhere in the world or in your office to save your progress before quitting.

EDIT: Also check out the OP in this thread, it has useful info!

www.resetera.com

Yakuza 0 PC |OT| Chicken Management Simulator 2018

What's Yakuza all about, anyway? It's a brawler, beat-em-up, action RPG, minigame fest, and a lot of other things, with heartfelt, serious storylines, but also a high degree of comedy and zaniness, it's dramatic, it's silly, it's everything. People have tried to box it into a category, but...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
More Mahjong in 6 played. Though I disagree with the difficulty ratings in the Tenkaichi Street parlor - I got more wins with medium and hard over easy for whatever reason... ah the mysteries of Mahjong! Nothing beats getting a hand that destroys an opponents point score though!

Did more Super Hang On, getting my ass kicked by later stages on the last two GPs but having a blast trying. Finally ranked Saki up enough to get her to sing "Like a Butterfly" with me, which was a blast, and did more of the Rizap stuff. Its a pity that they didn't keep the gym idea for other games, I'd have totally been ok to see it return as I've genuinely been enjoying the mix of training and searching for the right food. And now back to the story... I'm on chapter 7 and its really starting to pick up now, and I'd probably be further into the story but I insisted on doing lots of side content while it was night time in Kamurocho!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Onto chapter 8 of Yakuza 6... Honestly the biggest shocking reveal of this chapter is that, after all the years of playing the series, the Super Hang On racer is actually an old man. I did not see that coming!

The whole Little Asia long fight/set piece is just as ace as I remember. I've a fondness for Ed as a character (both his fight, and his amazing theme) and it was a blast to play through again - while there are no QTEs in the fight, there are a few stage transitions that are directed incredibly well - especially the first one where you and Ed are on the narrow beam, falling to the floor below. And at the end where a ton of goons join in the fight, that was awesome as well.

And now the next chapter has me returning (once again) to Shangri La which means its time for one of the weirdest, and best long fights in the series (for me). Once this game gets going it really doesn't slow down!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Chugging along in my playthrough in Y5 and have reached the familiar ground of Sotenbori. It's been a few games since I ventured among those grounds. The idol stuff with Haruka is pretty fun. It's impressive how much they managed to gamify being an idol. I particular enjoyed the comedy minigame. I was hoping the dancing minigame would be the one from Y0 since that was so great. I guess that was just in Y0, then? When I was starting to get a little tired of the lack of combat, Akiyama got introduced and I got to use them sweet kicks. The launch strike is a hell of a lot of fun to use. I rarely do much taunting in these games but Akiyama has some decent taunt moves that keep his heat up and allow you to continually launch strike. The special moves really do add a lot to the combat since Saejima's puppet master stuff was also great. I'm enjoying being able to do all of Akiyama's substories as they come up since there's not much danger in hitting his level cap without a job system for him. Saigo still sucks but his wig is funny at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spent far longer than I should have playing Outrun yesterday in Yakuza 6. I'll forever have a bizarre grudge against route A... I think its the second stage (the left option at the end of stage 1), its rather evil really - with the huge stone walls on either side, narrow road and tons of traffic. I can blast through to ending B no prob as long as I take the right turn at the end of stage 1... but I won't lie, I still love the game so darn much! Managed to hit endings A and B yesterday and just need to hit up C, D and E when I get the chance. No need to since nothing completion related is tied to it, I just love Outrun.

The rest of the time was basically spent playing higher difficulty Mahjong. On the hard table, I had an awful start and then perhaps my best ever hand (outside of using a cheat item back in the day). Just have the last Battle Royale in Mahjong to clear and that's all the tables done. Then I might actually continue on with the story... maybe.

But one thing that still annoys me about 6 on a replay is how much time you spend in Kamurocho during the daytime. It just looks nowhere near as good as night time, yet for most of the points where your free to explore its day and not night... Makes me want to rush through the rest of the game again and do the rest in PA so I can change the time of day.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Up to Shinada's part so far. Not really sure what a loser baseball player has to do with the cross Japan Yakuza plot so far but Daigo seems invested for some reason. Shinada seems to be a bit of a jackass but he's not a dipshit like Tanimura so I'll take him. His voice is kinda weird though. I do like the Takasugi character. Shinada's fighting style, while not the strongest, is pretty fun. The My Meteor move is cool although I wish there was more you could do to combo off it. Baseball is fun and the storyline is pretty good. I could take or leave the Cochin Cup. I'm liking Nagoya well enough. It's easy to get around and I like the Mid Square area over to the east. The intersections do all look a bit the same so it's easy to get turned around if you're not looking at the map. Game is still rad and I'm not burnt out yet despite all the content.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shinada's combat also makes great use of weapons, with tons of heat moves tied to them. Well worth doing all his training and giving him a variety of weapons to use, its where his combat really shines. Plus you can do some nice combos into his tackle into his tackle heat move etc. Its not the greatest combat in the game, but there is some depth there if your willing to mess around with him.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not that there was any doubt, but Ichiban ain't going anywhere:
dojimasdragongirl.wordpress.com

Famitsu interviews the Ryu ga Gotoku protagonists

Famitsu Online talked with Kuroda Takaya (Kiryu) and Nakaya Kazuhiro (Kasuga) after the Ryu ga Gotoku 15th anniversary celebration stream on December 8 2020. They talk about their work on the serie…

Basically - its just reiterating that Ichiban is indeed the main character for the series for the time being. "For the next 10 years" apparently but we'll see how that goes. I see him getting two more games as the lead character but I'll take all that I can get, he's by far the best thing about the series for the last several games, nice to have a new protagonist in the series without it being a spinoff or having Kiryu basically push everyone out of the spotlight by the end (see Yakuza 4, 5 and Dead Souls).
Some great insight into Kuroda as well when it comes to voicing Kiryu over the years.

Last edited:

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Shinada's combat also makes great use of weapons, with tons of heat moves tied to them. Well worth doing all his training and giving him a variety of weapons to use, its where his combat really shines. Plus you can do some nice combos into his tackle into his tackle heat move etc. Its not the greatest combat in the game, but there is some depth there if your willing to mess around with him.
Yea, as I played with him a bit more and leveled him up, I enjoyed playing as him even more. His heat move with throwing the pole is fantastic. He also has an ultimate essence with a pole that is great too. He's also a great grappler. He's got some decent grapple moves that can chain into other things. Now that I've finished his section, I understand Daigo's involvement more. And his Y0 substory starting in the batting centre feels more significant now.

Got to Kamurocho and made a beeline to Komaki to get that level cap up to 25. That battle was pretty tough. I could get through it alright with Kiryu and I'm sure Saejima will be fine but damn, it's gonna be a rough time for Akiyama and Shinada.