• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if they'll use the recast to use the character again, then again, I'm interested to see how Judge Eyes does as while Yagami's VA is a more well known actor in Japan than Nu Tanimura I already really like Yagami from what I've seen/played of Judge Eyes. Can't wait for the full game next month. Though I do wonder if they'll ever do a full on crossover between the two or keep them separate.

Anyway, despite having Red Dead 2 to play, I found myself playing loads of Kurohyou 2 on the PSP this past week. Up to chapter 7 now... Story keeps getting better, they've done a great job with the stories for every chapter, as well as the awesome list of bosses. Side content wise I've really gotten into Bowling, the hostess clubs and of course Mahjong (up to rank 67/100 now, almost halfway there!)
Combat continues to get better, though I do wish I were playing it on hard now. But there is something deeply satisfying about landing a counter into a reversal combo/heat move. The story for chapter 7 looks to be getting really serious as well, can't wait to see what happens next.

That's been my hope with characters such as Tanimura and Kaoru...though the latter is also partly because of the devs dropped the ball with her and not necessarily her original actress not being available. I feel like they were interesting enough for new stories or to make an appearance and using career VOs might make it easier since there are likely less hoops to get them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I've started playing Kiwami 2 the other day and reached the point where the cabaret minigame is available. I guess it's time to spend 30 hours ignoring the main quest I guess.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has new information on Project Judge, known as Judge Eyes: Shinigami no Yuigon in Japan, introducing the "Friend Events" system.

Here are the tidbits:
  • "Friend Events" is a system where you deepen your interactions with the residents of Kamurocho to gain various benefits.
  • Increasing your evaluation will also bring cases your way.
  • Sakura Amamiya is a woman from Sotenbori, Osaka. By befriending her, you can receive an on-duty massage.
  • By deepening your bonds with "Ryan Acosta Ninja," he will come to your aid in battle.
  • By deepening your bonds with the manager of Kyushu No.1 Star, he will give you items for use in battle.
  • Some friends that can progress into a girlfriend. By increasing your friendship level, you may be asked to go on a date. Conversely, you can also ask them out on a date.
  • There are at least three girlfriend candidates. One of them is a college student named Tsukino Saotome (voiced by Kaede Hondo).

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/project-judge-introduces-friend-events-system

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point in doing Haruka's requests in Kiwami 2? Is it worth it?
I thought the rank will stop at S. I've hit 90 in Karaoke for her, brought her to an underground red light district, done some illegal gambling, hit rank SS and it still won't stop. HELP!!!

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is there any point in doing Haruka's requests in Kiwami 2? Is it worth it?
I thought the rank will stop at S. I've hit 90 in Karaoke for her, brought her to an underground red light district, done some illegal gambling, hit rank SS and it still won't stop. HELP!!!

Pretty sure there's a trophy. Otherwise, as long as you get the bowling book from her, I think that's the biggest in game reward.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to just finish the game for now. And that ending. lmao.
Kiryu is making out amidst dead bodies while bomb is ticking down and Date and Haruka watching from a helicopter just in front of them. Amazing stuff.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned in PC Gaming Era.

Holy smokes, this is fantastic! And a big part of the game (main quest and many side missions) seem to be translated too based on someone from the fan translation team posting in the comments. They're looking for a dedicated translator for item names etc. now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now just to wait for emulation to get perfected, its come a long way and is looking so damn good. No idea when I'll have a PC powerful enough to play it though (unless Sega want to release a surprise remaster for me ;) )

Meanwhile, more Kurohyou 2 played. Up to the penultimate chapter now and its getting crazy. Stakes are getting higher and higher with some great fights (the boss fights are so great in this game, the combat continues to feel sublime). I have an idea on who the final boss(es) will be now, which means its going to be really wild.

Really the only complaint I have is why on earth ranked fights take so damned long to pop up/rank up. Having to fight several before the rank up chance presents itself means I'm just short of rank 17? in Kamuro and 20 in Sotenbori. This is after 50-60 hours... pretty much the one thing that is definitely not well designed :( The rest of the game is fantastic though, easy 9/10 and definitely one of the best games in the series that like Kenzan and Ishin, many people will never play.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
A second Judge Eyes demo is scheduled for November!

tenor.gif

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Yakuza Era, you're the new Spotlight Community!

Can't wait to see those ports of Y3-5. I need those game at 60FPS.
Amazingly almost excatly at the same time as I got to the final chapter of Zero.
Also, I clicked on this thread accidentially. There is some strange wizardry going on right now.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Kiwami 2. It's funny how the series went (a bit) downhill since Y0. There are things I like but overall, I miss the RAW Heat actions and the excellent music from Y0. Heat actions in YK2 seem to lack that impact Y0 had.

Other than that, I wanted to play YK2 for the Majima Saga part, while it's a good closure, I expected more from it.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Kiwami 2. It's funny how the series went (a bit) downhill since Y0. There are things I like but overall, I miss the RAW Heat actions and the excellent music from Y0. Heat actions in YK2 seem to lack that impact Y0 had.

Other than that, I wanted to play YK2 for the Majima Saga part, while it's a good closure, I expected more from it.
Kiwami 2 is a remake of a game which came out about 9 years prior to Zero. I'm curious to know what you went was worse? :)

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Have been playing Yakuza 0 since Oct 1 and it still AWESOME to play at 100h+

Where in cap 10 like 60h+ and now it time to do the same for Goro in cap 11!

How many people have have over 200,000,000,000 yen with Kiryu?

The substories are just so hilarious I that Ihave taken a lot of photo under those dialog parts

But it is the Heat Actions that I REALLY love with Y0, especially with items like the firecracker! LMAO

CAN'T wait to play YK1 (in backlog) and hope to buy YK2 at Black Friday!

"Yakuza everyday, every night, forever!" SO AWESOOOOOME

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
After discovering Yakuza with 0 shortly after its release, I've since played Kiwami, 3, 4, and now halfway through 5. I have 6 in a blister and will play Kiwami 2 once I'm done with it (didn't want to ruin 6 by playing the more recent one first). Every time I finish a game I decide to take a break from the series so I don't get burned out, but soon I feel like going back to this world and its characters.

So far, 0 is the best, and I think 5 is second. I like how rich it feels without it feeling like filler content, there are several cities and playable character, each with their own big minigame. Also, I liked 4 but thought that Saejima really dragged it down, but in 5 his section is much more enjoyable, at first I was bummed that he was one of the playable characters (would have preferred Tanimura) but in the end I had fun with him and his minigame with was a welcome change of pace and scenery.

Ooooouh yeah! It's my most anticipated game along with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. I hope we get to play around with the combat system a bit more, and try out both styles more than just for a few seconds against a weak opponent. From the first demo, I really couldn't tell the difference between the two styles, they are both fast, acrobatic, and using both fists and kicks. Also I'm pretty sure the grabbing attacks were the same for both.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Karaoke really just needs it own small spinoff at this point so I can have one game with all the songs. Its definitely in my top 3 mini games (top being Mahjong, second being Karaoke and the third being a shifting choice between whichever arcade game is included).

After discovering Yakuza with 0 shortly after its release, I've since played Kiwami, 3, 4, and now halfway through 5. I have 6 in a blister and will play Kiwami 2 once I'm done with it (didn't want to ruin 6 by playing the more recent one first). Every time I finish a game I decide to take a break from the series so I don't get burned out, but soon I feel like going back to this world and its characters.

So far, 0 is the best, and I think 5 is second. I like how rich it feels without it feeling like filler content, there are several cities and playable character, each with their own big minigame. Also, I liked 4 but thought that Saejima really dragged it down, but in 5 his section is much more enjoyable, at first I was bummed that he was one of the playable characters (would have preferred Tanimura) but in the end I had fun with him and his minigame with was a welcome change of pace and scenery.

Ooooouh yeah! It's my most anticipated game along with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. I hope we get to play around with the combat system a bit more, and try out both styles more than just for a few seconds against a weak opponent. From the first demo, I really couldn't tell the difference between the two styles, they are both fast, acrobatic, and using both fists and kicks. Also I'm pretty sure the grabbing attacks were the same for both.

Another Saejima fan :) 5 is also high on my favourites list (which keeps shifting, not sure where I'm slotting Ishin, Kenzan and the second PSP game into my rankings, but its very high) but I too like 5 for just how much they put into the game. I doubt we'll ever see a Yakuza game with that much content in it again anytime soon (if ever). As for JE - the second fighting style hits slightly harder I think - there are a few different heat moves there for sure with weapons, but as I never got much time to try the second style its hard to say. Also looks like you might be able to do air juggle combos with the second style, but again I need more time with it. Suffice to say though, I really like what I played.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zero, but I got it. Had to use the cannon to have a chance.
Anyway, I also finished the game.

Fantastic game. It's rare to see a game, where both story and gameplay are this good.
The final level was some BS, but the bosses made up for it.
I didn't bother too much with the mini games, but they were fun distractions.

Not sure where to go from here, 1 and 2 would be the obvious canidates, but I'm npt sure how good they are.
I already own 3 and 4.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I know 3 gets a bad rep here and on the internet, but it really holds a special place on my heart. I loved the slow start, and I can't wait for the remaster.

Also, it had Rikiya. RIKIYAAA!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not holding my breath, but I hope Yakuza Online is localized sooner than later. I feel like with Shin Megami Tensei Rx and Revolve8 both having global launches that the odds of us getting an English Yakuza Online within the same month are pretty high.

I know 3 gets a bad rep here and on the internet, but it really holds a special place on my heart. I loved the slow start, and I can't wait for the remaster.

I do not really get the negativity towards 3. I found it disappointing coming off of 2 sure, but it is soooo much better than the first game. That one is so hard to return to nowadays.

All of the mainline games are great and worth playing. If someone adored each one and was fond of non standard game design weirdness I would honestly highly recommend Dead Souls to them too. The whole series is just outrageously charming and addicting.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing through yakuza 0. Got it on steam sale a few weeks back.

From the very opening cinematic I was sold and have had so much fucking fun with this game, currently midway through chapter 7 and I can't believe I slept on these.

Super lucky kiwami is free this month on ps+ also.

Man. I'm so sold. Put kiryu in tekken or soul calibut or anything. Majima too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ishin and Dead Souls remaster when
Ishin needs no remaster unless they chuck in PS4 Pro resolutions. Its already running at 60FPS on the PS4. Only tweaks it could need gameplay wise is to cut out the insane grind for the completion lists (yes, you get two of the bastards in Ishin).

I remember making a demo thread for 3 a few months back just before its PS4 launch and saw the negativity toward 3. It confused me, mainly because I loved the slow start but also because its got some of the best story beats in the game (sure its got some of the strangest as well, but its not like any other Yakuza bar maybe 0 has silly bits in them, its par of the course).
3 still has my favourite soundtrack in the series, some of my favourite bosses, actual difficulty to its hard mode!, hands down THE best cinematic/emotional moment in the series (which still hit me hard when I replayed it yet again this year on the PS4) and is the basic blueprint every single Yakuza game follows to this day in terms of content, side stories going a more story led route, completion lists etc. Its a little rougher round the edges these days (animations and facial features especially) but it'll always be one of my favourites.
Oh, and cutscene wise it also has the Tamiya Diet Building stuff, hands down THE most boring cutscene/conversation in series history!

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really like 3, I completed it only because I'm playing through the whole series. The whole orphanage part was extremely tedious and never seemed to end. Ibremember when Kyriu isbfinally about to leave town to go on a life critical mission, just before you get on the train to the airport he says "one of the kids might be bored, maybe I should check on him", what the actual fuck. Thankfully I didn't HAVE to go back to the orphanage at that point.

I think the first chapter of Y5 did the whole slice of life aspect much, much better. It was also slow but much more enjoyable.

I agree Y3 overall did have a good story though, but the gameplay was pretty barebones, the image quality appalling (felt like playing on an actual PS2 with this resolution), and the very slow parts with the orphanage (it's not juste "the beginning of thebgale" but actually about a third of the entire story's length) really drag it down.

hands down THE best cinematic/emotional moment in the serie

Can you jog my memory ?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
shadowman16 I heard that they're remastering Yakuza 3,4 and 5 for the PS4! I was told that shadowman16 was the person to ask about the release dates so I'm asking shadowman16 about the release date for the Y3-5 remasters for the west.

Thanks in advance, shadowman16

This is what happens when you give FANG users any power what so ever. Hopefully my dream about SFIV Blanka headlining the next lot of SFV characters is true, solely to spite you ;)