• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Son of Sparda showed me the link:
https://www.dualshockers.com/next-ps4-yakuza-release-estimate/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So that really doesn't give me a concrete month on when it could come, seeing as December, January and March have all had Yakuza games released, and Dec and Mar are favourites of the dev so its either a late 2019 or early 2020 release. As always, I wait for TGS this year which should reveal all. Hype further rising!

I wonder if all they have planned for the series in 2019 (in Asia) is the remasters of 4 and 5 and RGG Online. It'd certainly be one of the quieter years for the series, since 2013 maybe?
Shin RGG is listed for fiscal 2020 (2020.4~2021.3) titles in the linked report on that site. A typical gameing site with false information as usual.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise there. I knew that would happen. Well, either that or talk of Ichiban's hair. Never underestimate just how impatient people are. Not like the localisation team are busy with anything at the moment...

Haven't seen people ask for Ishin's localization in a while, lol. That was always another topic to derail any thread.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shin RGG is listed for fiscal 2020 (2020.4~2021.3) titles in the linked report on that site. A typical gameing site with false information as usual.
Yeah, saw the corrections in the main thread. That's what I get for listening to anyone other than Nagoshi on the series! Oh well, either way I look forward to TGS as that should give us a good amount of info finally, and I'll be there day 1 either way.

Assuming there's not even a small Yakuza game released in December to hold me over until Shin, looks like I'll be replaying Kenzan - as I've been meaning to replay that one for ages, this time that bastard Amon is going down!

Haven't seen people ask for Ishin's localization in a while, lol. That was always another topic to derail any thread.
lol good point. I guess because the remasters are far more likely to come across they've been asking for those more. Just you wait, assuming the remasters get released they'll be back asking for it! I'm just glad the PS5 is gonna be backwards compatible with PS4 games, just so I can finally carry my Yakuza collection forward.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the first Yakuza when it released on PS2, and I intended to start again with Kiwami and work my way through all the episodes, but as you can guess, a quick google search showed me the overwhelming opinion that Yakuza 0 should absolutely be played before Kiwami, which kinda blows my mind because I've always been a staunch advocate of release order >>>> chronological order, always. Like, I wouldn't advise anyone to play Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep first, or Dante's Awakening before DMC1, same goes for a lot of things, in games, movies and books. I can't think of any other example where the consensus is so clearly towards chronological over release order.

So, alright, I'm gonna trust everyone on that one, I guess I'll understand why it is so once I'll have played both 0 and Kiwami. And luckily, it's been so long since I've played the original Yakuza that I've forgotten a lot of things. I mostly remember the final battle. Not sure about the ending, but I can sort of guess how it ended.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I only played the first Yakuza when it released on PS2, and I intended to start again with Kiwami and work my way through all the episodes, but as you can guess, a quick google search showed me the overwhelming opinion that Yakuza 0 should absolutely be played before Kiwami, which kinda blows my mind because I've always been a staunch advocate of release order >>>> chronological order, always. Like, I wouldn't advise anyone to play Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep first, same goes for a lot of things. I can't think of any other example where the consensus is so clearly towards chronological over release order.

So, alright, I'm gonna trust everyone on that one, I guess I'll understand why it is so once I'll have played both 0 and Kiwami. And luckily, it's been so long since I've played the original Yakuza that I've forgotten a lot of things. I mostly remember the final battle. Not sure about the ending, but I can guess.

This is how I see the whole thing, going as someone who has played through every last game in the series (almost all in order, except Kenzan and Kurohyou 2 which I got to slightly later):

While Kiwami retells the story of Yakuza 1 incredibly closely (frame for frame going by the cutscenes, they didn't reshoot them rather just overlay the new models to the existing scenes) the game also adds a ton of content that directly references Yakuza 0 - this stuff is mainly told via side stories and Majima Everywhere key scenes but you also get at least half a dozen incredibly good Nishiki story scenes that play at the beginning of the first few chapters - these basically flesh out his plot between the events of 0 and present day Yakuza 1.

Basically while its perfectly fine to play the games in essentially any order, Kiwami is really tuned to act as a direct sequel to 0 - many references, side stories and characters won't make sense unless you've first played 0. So definitely play 0 before Kiwami if you plan on doing all the side stories just because it'll make far more sense in the long run (likewise anyone playing Ishin should really play 1-5 all the way through to fully appreciate that game, but that's another story).

Also, the whole release order thing doesn't fly with Kiwami. It was released after 0. So either way, you should play it after 0 ;)

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I only played the first Yakuza when it released on PS2, and I intended to start again with Kiwami and work my way through all the episodes, but as you can guess, a quick google search showed me the overwhelming opinion that Yakuza 0 should absolutely be played before Kiwami, which kinda blows my mind because I've always been a staunch advocate of release order >>>> chronological order, always. Like, I wouldn't advise anyone to play Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep first, or Dante's Awakening before DMC1, same goes for a lot of things, in games, movies and books. I can't think of any other example where the consensus is so clearly towards chronological over release order.

So, alright, I'm gonna trust everyone on that one, I guess I'll understand why it is so once I'll have played both 0 and Kiwami. And luckily, it's been so long since I've played the original Yakuza that I've forgotten a lot of things. I mostly remember the final battle. Not sure about the ending, but I can sort of guess how it ended.
It's becuase majority of yakuza players started from 0!! I recommend to go with the release order if you are thinking of playing them all.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It's becuase majority of yakuza players started from 0!! I recommend to go with the release order if you are thinking of playing them all.

Unless they're going back to Y1 PS2, playing Kiwami before 0 isn't release order - all of the additions are intended to follow on directly from 0, which makes it difficult to treat as interchangeable with the original in that regard.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I see the whole thing, going as someone who has played through every last game in the series (almost all in order, except Kenzan and Kurohyou 2 which I got to slightly later):

While Kiwami retells the story of Yakuza 1 incredibly closely (frame for frame going by the cutscenes, they didn't reshoot them rather just overlay the new models to the existing scenes) the game also adds a ton of content that directly references Yakuza 0 - this stuff is mainly told via side stories and Majima Everywhere key scenes but you also get at least half a dozen incredibly good Nishiki story scenes that play at the beginning of the first few chapters - these basically flesh out his plot between the events of 0 and present day Yakuza 1.

Basically while its perfectly fine to play the games in essentially any order, Kiwami is really tuned to act as a direct sequel to 0 - many references, side stories and characters won't make sense unless you've first played 0. So definitely play 0 before Kiwami if you plan on doing all the side stories just because it'll make far more sense in the long run (likewise anyone playing Ishin should really play 1-5 all the way through to fully appreciate that game, but that's another story).

Also, the whole release order thing doesn't fly with Kiwami. It was released after 0. So either way, you should play it after 0 ;)
Unless they're going back to Y1 PS2, playing Kiwami before 0 isn't release order - all of the additions are intended to follow on directly from 0, which makes it difficult to treat as interchangeable with the original in that regard.
Thanks, that makes more sense! So, okay, with the additions in Kiwami, it serves both as a remake and a sequel to 0, I get it now, and yeah technically Kiwami released later :)
Perfect, I'm gonna buy 0 now then. Too bad it's not part of the Sega/Japanese games sale on Steam right now but 20 euros seems cheap anyway given the reputation of the game.

edit: I was curious so I checked on How Long to Beat and yeah it seems they've added enough stuff in Kiwami to please completionists

GWkHK6C.png

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiwami took me about 60-80 hours to 100%. Which believe it or not is fairly short compared to the 100+ it usually takes me for these games. This is only if you do the completion list though, if you don't it takes way less time, a story/side story only run is probably 20 hours - which is also how long it takes me to usually 100% the original PS2 version!

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really wish I would have played 0 before Kiwami. I am a sucker for a good call-back reference and all those were wasted on me since I convinced myself that it was better to play Kiwami before 0. Still enjoyed both, though. Maybe sometime down the line I can re-visit Kiwami, but I have a ways to go before that (I'm only now on Kiwami 2 and I want to play the rest in order after that).

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nikus Oh man so excited for you to play through Y0 the first time. Special game
Yeah and since I remember loving the first Yakuza on PS2, I'm really happy to be able to dive in the series again, with so many episodes to play. I had a PS3 really late so I missed that train, but now everything is coming to PC and damn it's awesome.
Kiwami took me about 60-80 hours to 100%. Which believe it or not is fairly short compared to the 100+ it usually takes me for these games. This is only if you do the completion list though, if you don't it takes way less time, a story/side story only run is probably 20 hours - which is also how long it takes me to usually 100% the original PS2 version!
I'm a completionist too and I usually spend more time than most on games, I'm really taking my time, so I guess I'm gonna spend a freaking lot ot time on the series

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

My man! You're in for one hell of a ride. I kept Kiwami 2 for last (after all the other nulbered entries), but I would advise playing it directly after Kiwami, if you can stomach going back to the old engine after it.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My man! You're in for one hell of a ride. I kept Kiwami 2 for last (after all the other nulbered entries), but I would advise playing it directly after Kiwami, if you can stomach going back to the old engine after it.
Yeah I don't mind :)

Downloading 0 now, I'll start as soon as it's done.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and since I remember loving the first Yakuza on PS2, I'm really happy to be able to dive in the series again, with so many episodes to play. I had a PS3 really late so I missed that train, but now everything is coming to PC and damn it's awesome.

I'm a completionist too and I usually spend more time than most on games, I'm really taking my time, so I guess I'm gonna spend a freaking lot ot time on the series

Yeah, if your a completionist your in for a heck of a time. Also expect to learn lots of different gambling games if your not already familiar with them. Yakuza has opened me up to so much stuff I never knew I enjoyed before (the chief one being Mahjong). Many people on Era aren't a fan of the completion lists in Yakuza, they certainly can be viewed as tough, grindy or not fun, but personally speaking its the most fun I have when completing any game series out there because the side stories are usually hilarious and the mini games are usually addictive. I can't think of any other game that has the awesome Karaoke songs, gambling, arcade games, Pocket Fighter or Cabaret Club Management like Yakuza has!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The pocket racer part is the only thing new players can't get into. Other than that, you will miss all the good quote/reference/fan service from the older entries that are packed in 0.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Though technically you'd miss all the Yakuza 0 references in the side stories and Majima Everywhere dialogue if you play Kiwami before 0. So kinda a catch 22 situation. Also, if we really want to get into it, people really should play Dead Souls before playing Kiwami and Judgment to really understand all the references in the games ;)

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanna say that I saved Y0 (my first one ever) to play in my vacation and damn that payed off.

It's a fantastic game, I have never seen such an immersive environmental experience before, you really feel like you are living in Kamurocho and has all that entertainment to explore. I love everything so far, have played for about 10 hours and am still on chapter 2 cause I'm taking my time having fun with everything. The quantity and quality of all the side stuff to do is incredible. I even learned how to play Mahjong!

It's also the kind of game you have to have lots of free time to put into, cause there's some much stuff to do it just sucks you in. Im definitely gonna play through the whole series, hopefully the remasters will be available for us soon.

Oh, and Kiryu is such a hunk, I can't get enough of his manliness, I think I have a new husbando.

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Keep us posted, I played through 0-6 for the first time recently and it keeps the threads lively to have newcomers remind folks of great moments!
Will do. And Zephyriel has been going on and on (and on) about Yakuza for months on our discord server so I'll have to keep him posted too.

I've played only two hours and I'm already loving it. I guess the only downside with playing 0 first is that it seems to be one of the best episodes, if not the best, from what I hear. I won't say it's disheartening but it's somewhat a shame to tell myself that I'll have a whole bunch of other episodes to play but there's a good chance that nothing will top it. That won't stop me though... in fact, I often love entries in series that are considered to be the bad ones, so...

Alright I'm addicted to karaoke already, gonna play a bit more before going to bed.
Lotta folks seem to be onboard the Yakuza train this week!!

Wonder if it's to do with Kiwami 2 on PC next week?
I had been waiting for Kiwami 1 on Steam since last summer but I should have looked up which one to play first before, and I would have played 0 already.
I'm kicking myself for that. I had been watching Terrace House (a japanese real tv show) during the summer and I really wanted to play some Yakuza at the time to bathe in some urban japanese atmosphere.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with the whole "best game" thing is sorta a silly conversation in a way. At least the way I see it phrased on here (glares over at the Kiwami 2 story thread today...)
People make it sound like the rest of the games are not worth playing after you finish 0. But in reality, the other games are still damn good, just maybe not as good as 0 (I of course disagree, I'm still waiting for a game better than Yakuza 5!)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I glanced over the Kiwami 2 thread earlier, that's why I was thinking about that.
But when I think about it I've also heard many good things about Yakuza 2 and 5 over the years and I've my own very fond memories of the first episode on PS2 so I'm sure I'll like Kiwami 1 a lot. So, great things to look forward to!

Last edited:

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I agree with Shadowman. Also I feel like a lot of people who are saying Y0 is the best in those general threads may not have actually played all of them. Not that Y0 isn't amazing.

But there's so many high points in the series. Hell, I think the finale chapter in Yakuza 4 is incredible; maybe the best in the series.

The 4X showdown was pretty freaking sweet payoff for all that switching between characters.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think 0 is the best, but that's something I concluded after playing every single localized entry in order of release and I gotta admit Y5 was an extremely strong contender before it, so I suspect I may change my mind after actually getting to play it at 60FPS...

But really, every single entry is worth your time, and if anything big part of why I consider 0 the best is that it's an excellent anniversary game and celebration of the series.

0, 3 and 5 are really high up there among my favorite games ever, but the series as a whole is impossibly good given the amount of games it has and how often they come out. RGG Studios are incredible.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Speaking of Yakuza 0, my copy came in. It's brand new but the disc is loose even though the seller took great care to pack it. I bet it came loose during transition. I don't think I'll be playing it any time soon as I just started Dragon Quest: Heroes II. But with the resurgence of Y0 talk in here, it would be cool to post impressions with everyone else. Still, I'll try to resist the temptation to crack it open and put DQHII on the back burner.

On the topic of story, I really enjoyed the story of Y3 even though certain elements required suspension of disbelief. Watching my brother play it was cool.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Will do. And @Zephyriel has been going on and on (and on) about Yakuza for months on our discord server so I'll have to keep him posted too.

I've played only two hours and I'm already loving it. I guess the only downside with playing 0 first is that it seems to be one of the best episodes, if not the best, from what I hear. I won't say it's disheartening but it's somewhat a shame to tell myself that I'll have a whole bunch of other episodes to play but there's a good chance that nothing will top it. That won't stop me though... in fact, I often love entries in series that are considered to be the bad ones, so...

Guilty as charged.

Like the others are saying, while 0 might be the best, the other entries are also fantastic and well worth playing. Personally I think I enjoyed 6 the most after 0.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hey so now that 0 has been out forever and Kiwami 1 has been out a while what are some fun or good QoL improvement mods to try out on the PC versions?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another new chapter of RGG Online has been summarised here:
https://dojimasdragongirl.wordpress.com/2019/05/02/ryu-ga-gotoku-online-story-summary-part-11/

Basically its a chapter that starts to focus on the big mystery I'm interested in
The identity of the mysterious character only known as "X" who has been helping and directing Ichiban to take out the 4 kings of the Omi. It also gives some pretty cool character development moments for Kitamura, and also shows that Ichiban isn't quite as one track minded/stupid as I'd assumed. He manages to see through the other detectives threats immediately which I kinda liked, up to this point he'd been portrayed as a super violent meat head who's sole method of solving a problem was punching it.

So the consequences of the chapter are basically the cops and Omi are out to get you, so I kinda wonder if we'll get a baddie within the police force turn up (like Yakuza 4) or not. I see them mainly focusing on the remaining two Omi heads, and Arakawa after that.

As for X, I still have Daigo down as the character. It just makes the most sense to me - he's lost the Tojo Clan and wants to get the Omi and the corrupt cops back for being arrested/losing the Tojo Clan. Plus he seems like one of the few people who have the reach to do such a thing. Because while I could see Hanaya (Florist) being able to achieve this, I'm just not feeling that he'd be a "cool" choice for a reveal.
Unless of course its actually just Arakawa and the whole thing has been just one big MGS level twist. I'd laugh if that were the case.

And speaking of returning characters, or in this case lack of them - Date is not mentioned at all during this chapter (neither is Tanimura, but that's really not surprising). On the one hand I'd have loved to get a mention of him, he'd be against the whole Omi incursion I feel that him not being part of this at all helps Kitamura grow as a character.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
If you're replaying Y0, try the JP OST mod. There's a few songs that were changed with the localisation.

The licensed music restoration patches (and likely for Jugment, the Taki restoration) are usually considered mandatory, but I'm also glad I used the PS2 OST mod for Kiwami. Not all of the remastered soundtrack is necessarily a step down, but certain original versions of tracks are much more memorable in their original forms, and I was glad to experience the game with them. The original version of For Whose Sake in particular is so much more unique for where it's used than the new arrangement, which is perfectly satisfactory on its own but feels like it loses a bit in becoming more of a standard battle theme.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the new version of For Whose Sake, but I remember preferring the PS2 versions of Shimano and Nishiki Family fights in Y1. On the bright side, having the option to use either is what I love about PC modding. Best of both worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
6 is easily one of my favorite gaming experiences. It's almost exactly what I wanted.

It's pretty incredible that they pulled that off in the same game where they had to reinvent their engine they'd been using for a decade.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Likewise. That final battle was emotional as hell. Also, Someya is a fucking awesome character.
I read this wrong, made it sound like you said Someya was the last boss, and that you were pretending that the whole Iwami Jr fight didn't exist. I thought this because I'd have still really preferred a Someya/Koushimazu team as the ending, but yeah 6 has a damn good finale in retrospect. Also having an unrelated conversation elsewhere earlier, I'm reminded of just how damn good Ishin's end boss chapter is...

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Likewise. That final battle was emotional as hell. Also, Someya is a fucking awesome character.

One thing I also really enjoyed was the contrast between the two cities. One heavily urbanised and one more rural and peaceful (as far as can be in a Yakuza game anyway). I found it a more interesting combination than Kamurocho-Sotenbori which are more similar.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I might be addicted to Mahjong. It's fantastic that I have learned how to play it through a videogame, I feel a more realized human being now lol I'm thinking about buying the game on Ali Express, but I don't think I'll be able to convince anyone to learn haha.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I might be addicted to Mahjong. It's fantastic that I have learned how to play it through a videogame, I feel a more realized human being now lol I'm thinking about buying the game on Ali Express, but I don't think I'll be able to convince anyone to learn haha.
You have seen the light ;) Seriously, once I managed to finally get the rules of Mahjong down well enough it became my favourite mini game in the series and I definitely get the feeling its a pretty popular mini game in Japan - since its always getting a focus in challenge lists and the like, Judge Eyes even going as far as to add even more Mahjong to the game.

One thing I also really enjoyed was the contrast between the two cities. One heavily urbanised and one more rural and peaceful (as far as can be in a Yakuza game anyway). I found it a more interesting combination than Kamurocho-Sotenbori which are more similar.
From what I understand all games in the series basically feature red light districts for the places you visit - Yakuza 5 for example having 5 different red light districts, and I think downtown Ryuuku in Yakuza 3 is similar in that regard (though that too feels more relaxed and homely in a way if you explore the south side of the town - especially the market). I do love the little areas that aren't full of hostess clubs and the like in the series - 6 had a unique atmosphere that worked fantastically for the plot of the game, 5 also manages to have a unique atmosphere in Saejima's chapter where they have you in the tiny town in rural Hokaido. I ended up spending a good 10+ hours there when I reach it every time as I love the hunting mini game!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
You have seen the light ;) Seriously, once I managed to finally get the rules of Mahjong down well enough it became my favourite mini game in the series and I definitely get the feeling its a pretty popular mini game in Japan - since its always getting a focus in challenge lists and the like, Judge Eyes even going as far as to add even more Mahjong to the game.
Dude I'm Japanese and I can't make sense of Mahjong. :P
Tried some decent Japanese whiskey last night, now I see what Kiryu is all about :D
Welcome to the new world. Nikka, Hibiki, and Suntori I can sip all day long.

And don't tempt me with Yamazaki. That shit is my kryptonite.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Barticle's Mahjong guide on Gamefaqs is what you need ;) Seriously, he helped me learn the game, kinda wish I'd have asked him about Shogi as well at the time, as I still can't do it. Just cheese it in the end every game instead!

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man I finally got through every mainline game (played in release order) and im having a fun runthrough kiwami 1 now as a victory lap. Thinking about starting Kenzan or Dead Souls soon but I don't know for sure. What are peoples thoughts on those two? Is kenzan still interested despite needing a guide? Is the framerate of dead souls bearable?

I kinda wanna play the panther games on the psp but i havent seen any guides for them anywhere :( its a shame because its got that naganuma soundtrack and kitties like 6 did!