• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Probably has to do with different SKUs for PS5 releases so I'd say that is a Sony issue. Doesn't affect me since I would never start a game on PS4 if I knew I would finish on PS5. Also, this likely doesn't affect BC games since they are the same SKU.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I mean bummer but it's not too bad. It's nice enough to have a nextgen version of the game for free. There is not much to be mad about this gen, only good news

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How could anyone live without a fable 2 save?

if these bc games are so enhanced, why wouldn't you want to play them fresh?

I say this assuming GaaS saves will carry forward on both platforms. If Sony messes that up somehow, then yeah they fucked up.

Because not every game is short. I'm in the middle of Assassins Creed Oddysey right now. I don't want to delete the save file and start over from scratch.

But tbh I feel like saves should transfer to PS5, if Avengers can do it I don't see why other games can't?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't play your ps4 save file with the PS5 updated version, it seems that it is an entirely seperate thing. On Xbox it from what has been shown seems like one entire system, so your Xbox one file of a game will be loadable with the Series X version.
Is that confirmed with every game? like for example Call of duty which isn't a smart delivery game would xbox one save work on series x version of the game?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is a weird tweet.

He quotes the Yakuza: Like a Dragon tweet, which is talking about saves for a PS4 game not working on a PS5 game, yet uses an example of a save for an Xbox 360 game working on an Xbox 360 game.

I don't think the issue is getting saves for PS4 games to work on PS4 games. I imagine most devs aren't even doing any work related to that (because why would they?). He has to be talking about cross-gen saves.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You can't play your ps4 save file with the PS5 updated version, it seems that it is an entirely seperate thing. On Xbox it from what has been shown seems like one entire system, so your Xbox one file of a game will be loadable with the Series X version.

Yeah I get that the PS4 version saves don't work on the PS5 version of the game. But there is no Fable 2 Series X version. So unless the PS5 doesn't allow PS4 game saves for PS4 BC games, their example isn't 1:1.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
This is a huge disappointment and Yakuza is not the first game to receive this bad news. Spider-Man: Remaster will not recognize PS4 saves either. It's a big misstep, IMO.

Hopefully Sony clarifies what exactly is going on with this. Will God of War save data not transfer over? It's just confusing.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Sounds like a dumb reason not to transfer saves if you already gave the upgrade for free

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Another day of more disappoint Sony news. Wow, I haven't been this disappointed with console launch in a long time.

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder if this is just a "Sony doesn't want to flip the switch and enable cross gen saves" or if there are legitimate software reasons why games would not be able to read old saves, or at least convert them into next gen saves. Like, the PS5 is a big improvement over PS4, but it doesn't seem like the kind of change that would make saves not compatible. It's ridiculous that this is a thing, considering that this sort of worry is non-existent on PC, and consoles are closer and closer to PCs these days.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me I might have to keep my PS4 hooked up because I don't know if every game will have their save data transfer over onto the PS5. Hopefully that isn't the case.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I sure as hell would want to carry over my Nioh 2 character which has over a hundred hours of time investment. Don't assume what people want, or don't want to do with their save files.
You can do that. But let's say Nioh 2 gets a native PS5 version, that would (probably, depends on the dev) require a new save file since it's essentially a new game.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Is that confirmed with every game? like for example Call of duty which isn't a smart delivery game would xbox one save work on series x version of the game?

No confirmation for every game yet, one of the frustrating things about all of the new console roll outs is that this all seems drip fed.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I actually wonder if this will be a game by game basis cause I have trouble believing this will be the case for CoD.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure they aren't trying to say the PS4 save wont work with the PS5 version? That. Makes much more sense to me.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
It's wild to me that after basically innovating on the concept of having a cross-compatible eco-system at the beginning of this generation with PS3/PSV/PS4 cross-saves/crossplay Sony is now completely dropping the ball on this. Like, the overwhelming majority of people who are going to buy SM on PS5 aren't going to be newcomers, it's going to be loyal fans who'll want to bring the progress over to the new version.

Like, hell, I'm ok with the next-gen tax for "remasters" but if I can't carry over my saves, that's some BS.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I didn't buy TLOU remastered because there was no save transfer from PS3 version. Sony are leaving money on the table by not ensuring save file transfers to next gen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can do that. But let's say Nioh 2 gets a native PS5 version, that would (probably, depends on the dev) require a new save file since it's essentially a new game.

Nobody who's invested as much time into a game as most Nioh players invest into Nioh games would ever accept starting over from 0 on a new platform. A save data import is CRITICAL for Nioh players.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
We are now in that point where from a "PS4>PS5 upgraded game" might no be compatible with previous save file some people will spread the fud as "PS4 saves won't work on PS5 playing BC games".

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that the PS4 version saves don't work on the PS5 version of the game. But there is no Fable 2 Series X version. So unless the PS5 doesn't allow PS4 game saves for PS4 BC games, their example isn't 1:1.

No his example isn't, his comments though saying a lot of devs have said PS4 save files don't transfer is worrying though.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh... what?

The game doesn't come out until next year yet they won't be able to add such a simple function between now and then?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
And if you're playing the PS4 version of Nioh 2 on PS5 then do you have some reason to doubt that will work?

The tweet, vague as it is, seems to imply you won't be able to access PS4 save files while playing BC games on PS5.

We need further clarification.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprising, Sony execs don't care about BC so they did the bare minimum of making the old games work on the console, Makes me wonder if this is just for transferring between the PS4 and PS5 version, would assume that running BC version the saves would work.

its probably like Destiny where that info is on a server and not local.

Avengers save files are strangely local instead of on the server though.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
RGGS doing more to clear up Upgrade questions than Sony.
Still so many question remain. Official clarification for things that are not a per game basis would have been useful months back

Edit- typo

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... Sega is literally saying: PS gamers, don't bother buying the PS4 version if you eventually want to play on PS5... Gotcha.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
This is the kind of thing that can be handled at a software level by developing a converter utility. Sony should have had something like that in place for devs, but I guess their "upgrade path" thinking wasn't that involved.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Its beginning to sound like server side GAAS games will be fine for ps4 - ps5 upgrades in terms of retaining your saves and anything else, well you are out of luck.

First Spiderman and now this.

If it isn't then I sure hope we see/hear from something that proves otherwise soon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
By that point you can either continue playing the PS4 SKU on PS5, or hope the devs implement a transfer of the data.

At that point why even do a next-gen update at all? If it doesn't benefit current players, you might as well just keep selling the PS4 version at retail and not bother doing an update at all.

So... Sega is literally saying: PS gamers, don't bother buying the PS4 version if you eventually want to play on PS5... Gotcha.

It's kind of amazing how consistently every bit of news about Yakuza 7 has turned out to be bad news for Playstation owners. Sega has mismanaged this marketing cycle so badly it's almost worth doing a masterclass on how NOT to talk to your fanbase.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all server-side . I expected my Apex and Fortnite stats to carry across too, but physical games saves.

Is a trend emerging or is the first out of the door the anomaly?
seems like the ps4 and ps5 os's handle saves difrently, and are not compatable with the other. destiny/fornite ect are doing the format conversion server side.