• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
This whole thread is fucking madness. I've been a massive Yakuza fan since the first game on PS2 and all of the freaking out is bizarre to me. Play the damn thing in March if it's so important to you which corporate logo is on the box of computer parts you play a specific game on. Yeah, timed exclusivity sucks but usually it's Sony doing it so turnabout is fair play in this case, assuming that's even what's going on, since MS doesn't seem to be promoting the game as an exclusive or even at all, really.

The whole thread is complaining about the lack of upgrade path of the physical version

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer: "I personally delivered the check to RGG studios."
Era: "Yea, you paid for the XSX port to be made."

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Bullshit, won't be buying the game on PS4 because I wanted physical.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
User Warned: Platform Waring
Okay, so waiting does kind of suck.

But a question to Playstation fans. You whine about this, but what about the Xbox and PC players who still can't play the remastered collection?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

But a question to Playstation fans. You whine about this, but what about the Xbox and PC players who still can't play the remastered collection?
As an xbox player I sincerely hope that the remastered collection gets a port at some point. I fell in love with the 3 titles that hit game pass, so much so that I am getting this day 1. Wish I could have finished the 4 games I missed before playing this though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Situation isn't great but it won't stop me from supporting Y7s release and I hope others come around.

Yakuza definitely isn't on the backfoot such as it was with the digital only Y5 release, but I'm glad the old fans always stuck by it.

I've been a hardline Yakuza fan since 2 came out. Even finished Dead Souls, for fuck's sake. I buy every game physical, so why should I support them right now? So I can get a lower-value version of the game than literally anyone else who purchases it?

Maybe discount the physical PS4 version if they're not going to include a next-gen upgrade, because it's paying the same amount of money for less right now. They won't do that, though. We all know they won't.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
With Yakuza yet to support HDR, I wonder how it'll look with Auto-HDR on Series X. Might be the definitive version regardless if we can get Kamurocho all lit up.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

Most of the people engaging in conversation in this thread are less upset with the timed exclusivity and more upset by the upgrade plan that Sega is proposing. Namely offering free PS4 -> PS5 upgrades for the digital version only.
Of course the situation with the collection sucks as well and I'd love for people playing on other platforms to get it.

Also, can we stop using "whining" when referring to people who have legitimate complains about anti-consumer practices? This is definitely not a trivial or unimportant issue.

May 15, 2019
This whole thread is fucking madness. I've been a massive Yakuza fan since the first game on PS2 and all of the freaking out is bizarre to me. Play the damn thing in March if it's so important to you which corporate logo is on the box of computer parts you play a specific game on. Yeah, timed exclusivity sucks but usually it's Sony doing it so turnabout is fair play in this case, assuming that's even what's going on, since MS doesn't seem to be promoting the game as an exclusive or even at all, really.
I've been followeing the series since before Yakuza 3 got localized and it bums me out how eager some people are to ditch this series over a single mistske. I remember living through the dark years after Dead Souls (a game I bought on day 1 for full price) wishing for a Yakuza 5 localization. I was overjoyed when Yakuza 0 made the series finally start picking up traction in the west after being niche for so long despite being so good.

Granted I am in a different position than many as someone who literally bought a PS4 just to play Yakuza games and planning to happily buy 7 on Steam in November, but having gone so long thinking the series was legitimately dead in English speaking territories I cannot imagine turning my back on it over such a small thing. God forbid you play the game on the platform it was literally designed for, the version of the game the entire Japanese fanbase experienced back in January. I get wanting to play the game in the best form possible, but I cannot fathom wanting to watch such a great, unique series die just because you couldn't play it in a better form on your PS5 for a few months. I love this series too much to want to watch it die over something so trivial.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I think the Collection will find its way eventually. This is not the same situation at all.

Okay, but just look at the situation.
I see people whining because Yakuza was a Playstation series, we supported it in the west, etc etc...

Playstation 5 owners have a release date now, and they're mad they have to wait?
Meanwhile Xbox and PC owners not only don't have 3-5, but they don't even have 6 or Judgment, either right? No signs of them on the horizon. It just makes people look a bit spoiled when they're not looking at the bigger picture, in my opinion.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

I play all consoles but Playstation is my #1 , my thinking on it in the quote below. At the end of the day, there will always be a few loud vocal people that don't represent the majority

Sega's PR has been all over the place on this one.

I am getting the PS4 version physical and will just play on PS5 at launch. We don't even fully know yet how much of an "upgrade" it really is. The FPS increase is less of an upgrade for #7 as it's an RPG, not brawler like the other titles.

The actual content of the game will still be the same and that's what I am coming for in the Yakuza series.

Plus it has a steel book and goes nicely on my PS4 shelf. I will have 0-7 of the series all for one system

At the end of the day, Xbox needs titles to push for their new console. Playstation already has two juggernauts in Miles and Demons Souls at launch. Y7 is not as big of a focus having already got a portion of the sales in Japan. If Xbox wants to market the series heavily and it increases exposure to it further for others to play I am all for that.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
How was it?

I am thinking on doing the same. Still on 0 at the moment....

I love 0-2K a lot. 2K has some great call backs to 0. 3 is the weakest I'd say but 4-6 is very strong. 5 is insanely ambitious. As many people here pointed out, take your time. It will burn you out if you blitz them.

I'm only half way through 3 right now but it's got a mix of positives and negatives when played in modern order 0-6... for one it's still on the PS2/PS3 era interface, and the combat is weird because everyone even basic mobs block all the time, which makes the combat "harder" but really just makes it somewhat tedious. But, taken as the 4th game in the sequence, it's a nice breather story-wise as it allow us to see a different side of Kiryu as the stakes (initially) seem lower than usual, and gives us a new location to learn that's very different in feel than Kamurocho...

If you're doing all of these back to back to back, please do not attempt to get all the trophies at the same time. Leave that for later. You'll burn out for sure.

I would say "stick to the main story and do the side quests later" but who am I kidding, I can't help but do as many as I can, I've done 50+ in Y3 already. I don't max out the cabaret club or other mini games tho.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind waiting since the PS5 launch is already crowded, and I am not really a Yakuza die hard.

However, I just want to know wheter or not the physical PS5 version comes with the steelbook still. It's the only reason I have Y7 on pre order right now

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
I see people whining because Yakuza was a Playstation series, we supported it in the west, etc etc...

Playstation 5 owners have a release date now, and they're mad they have to wait?
Meanwhile Xbox and PC owners not only don't have 3-5, but they don't even have 6 or Judgment, either right? No signs of them on the horizon. It just makes people look a bit spoiled when they're not looking at the bigger picture, in my opinion.
Yakuza has always been a PlayStation franchise. That being the case how can you be surprised when people are being asked to wait to play the latest one on their new PlayStation console. Especially when it appears it was paid off by Microsoft. Of course people are going to be upset.
It would be like Cuphead 2 coming out on PS first

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Is it really spoiled to complain about anti-consumer practices?

Yeah, there is some crazy bitching in this thread, but both are problems in their own right. Xbox and PC fans deserve to have access to the rest of the series. PS fans who buy the physical PS4 version deserve to have access to the free upgrade path in March. These are all issues that can exist at the same time and deserve criticism.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I dont't care if the PS5 version is delayed, I'm only angry about why the PS4 physical version dont't upgrade to PS5 when in Xbox you can do it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
You have to admit it's a little frustrating in the vagueness and uncertainty, right? I like to buy longer series physically since I like having all of them on my shelf. I had been intending to buy the PS4 version day one to support it and then decide whether or not I'd play right away or wait for the upgrade depending on the announced release date. But now it seems there's no upgrade path for me buying physically. "Okay," I think, "let me buy the PS5 version physically, I guess."

But currently there's no listing for a physical PS5 version. It appears that if you want to own the game physically and play it at 60fps, you have to get a XSX.

Would have been great to know that any time in the last several months of them advertising its launch cross platform with a promise of an upgrade path for both ecosystems.
I'm trying to imagine the situation if I had the system and planned to get the game.
I would probably just get it on the system I have and that's it. I mean, the only reason I'd want an upgrade is if it was unplayable on the hardware I have.

I assume that "upgrade" is something like higher resolution... and whatnot. I imagine it's not a version with new gameplay, story and so on...

If the problem is about the xbox getting an upgrade, I can't say much. I have no idea how it works anyway. Each company do things differently.

03sho

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know if the PS4 and PS5 versions will have separate trophy lists? Long shot I know but this will determine whether I go down Digital PS. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
3 points:

1. This is on Sega. Sony clearly has a system in place for games that allows you to upgrade the game for free. See Sackboy, Spider Man Miles Morales, Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3 etc etc. You put the disc in and the PS5 does it's thing.

2. Me being a long time fan of this series, I feel really disappointed and mad that this is what it came down to. I bought every game day one if it was possible. I pretty much never missed any of the game at launch (starting from Yakuza 3). I have every game on disc and I proudly have them visible in my room. First you had the gameplay being something I never wanted for the series but I have since accepted that they want to do something different. It should have ended there but then it kept getting worse and worse. Paid difficulty and modes, this mess with exclusivity and finally this particular issue where you have to buy it digital if you do want to upgrade to the PS5 version. All I can ask is why? Why are they doing this to long time fans that have supported them for years? Why do I have to feel so negative about a series I used to love and put as my all time favourite series?

3. Right now I am going to skip this. Sorry but I will. I was a huge fan of the series but this type of bullshit tells me I should just bail. I am willing to return if things improve but right now I just don't feel happy supporting the series. It barely feels like the series I loved.

To think I was so happy with where Yakuza was a couple of years ago. What a punch in the gut.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Assuming the game has ps4 pro enhancements that should carry over by playing it on ps5, this isn't too terrible for physical buyers no?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has always been a PlayStation franchise. That being the case how can you be surprised when people are being asked to wait to play the latest one on their new PlayStation console. Especially when it appears it was paid off by Microsoft. Of course people are going to be upset.
It would be like Cuphead 2 coming out on PS first
Care to show some proof?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the game has ps4 pro enhancements that should carry over by playing it on ps5, this isn't too terrible for physical buyers no?

We don't really know what sort of improvements they will make to the PS5 version. They haven't been transparent about a lot of things in regards to Y7. March is also a long time away. That is plenty of time to make other adjustments.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Have they mentioned whether saves will cross over with all these cross generation upgrade games? Like.. can I continue where I leftoff in the ps5 version after playing on ps4?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to have actual discourse with him. When someone creates tinfoil hat theories and at the same time tries to shut down opposing views, it's probably time to bail.

Yeah figures. The other thread on the upgrade ability of various games seems to be a better place to get info in future

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think we know. There's no info I've seen on this. Having said that, much as PlanetSmasher points out, the next gen version isn't comparable.
Knowing Dragon Engine based on Kiwami 2 on PC, it's ridiculously heavy. Kiwami 2 on PS4Pro was a very rough 30fps and 1080.
For PS5, they may do 60fps gameplay and 30fps cutscenes similar to prior games, or full 60fps, maybe 1800p or higher, which is a very nice step up.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still tripping that they are promoting the PS5 version, while seemingly having a deal with MS for the next gen version to be kept off PS5 until March 2021.

Outrageous. lol

Like....are we ever gonna see gameplay on Series X before Nov?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we know. There's no info I've seen on this. Having said that, much as PlanetSmasher points out, the next gen version isn't comparable.
Knowing Dragon Engine based on Kiwami 2 on PC, it's ridiculously heavy. Kiwami 2 on PS4Pro was a very rough 30fps and 1080.
For PS5, they may do 60fps gameplay and 30fps cutscenes similar to prior games, or full 60fps, maybe 1800p or higher, which is a very nice step up.
PS5 clips are already shown off of the game though.
60FPS cutscenes:

60FPS gameplay:

Who knows about res, I sure don't but it sure looks sharper than my time with the PS4 version (and that's WITH the Youtube compression in effect)

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I think some people are missing the point: people are not upset for the exclusivity, they are upset because XBox owners will get the next gen version for free regarless of the distribution system (physical or digital) while PS users will only get the enxt gen version for free if they purchase the digital version of the game, which just sucks because previously SEGA wrote they would get the PS5 version for free period.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Glad I decided to cancel my PS4 preorder a while back to go with the Steam version instead.

Still, it's a bummer that they're treating PS4 physical buyers like second-class citizens... hopefully they change their tune on that. And if they don't, do not reward them by double-dipping.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
PS5 clips are already shown off of the game though.
60FPS cutscenes:

60FPS gameplay:

Who knows about res, I sure don't but it sure looks sharper than my time with the PS4 version (and that's WITH the Youtube compression in effect)

Ah excellent! We were so curious about this.
The Xbox website used to say what games would have RT, 60fps / 120fps targets etc, and previously didn't say the game is 60fps - so the assumption was both potential next gen version would do the same.
Very interestingly, the Xbox website has been changed to remove any indications of games having RT or their framerate targets https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/optimized?xr=shellnav

I guess that they don't want to be as transparent any more. Anyway, good to know the PS5 version is 60fps, which is new info for us!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Romain confirm the upgrade.

" There is a physical upgrade, but they can't speak about at this time "

This, again, brings me to my question of why Sega is intentionally muddying their marketing message for this game? If MS has some sort of deal with Sega, then I get it but if that isn't the reason, why would they intentionally go out of their way to confuse and mislead PS fans knowing full well that it would cause people to be upset?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
My entire Yakuza collection is on PlayStation so I'll just have to wait until this is available on PS5.

I'm not going digital.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The PR about Y7 since the beginning is a disaster. The PS5 version was confirmed late. I think there is a marketing deal in favor of MS
Oh there clearly is. Probably tied to the deal they made a while back. However you would think they would be either more open or more closed on all of this. They can talk about the PS5 version existing but not the release date. Now they can talk about the release date but only talk about the digital upgrade option. If the french journalist is right this has to be the oddest marketing cycle ever. Unless there is some issue with the physical redemption like the MS/Activision situation where they wanted to announce the game but didn't have all of the approvals in place yet.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah excellent! We were so curious about this.
The Xbox website used to say what games would have RT, 60fps / 120fps targets etc, and previously didn't say the game is 60fps - so the assumption was both potential next gen version would do the same.
Very interestingly, the Xbox website has been changed to remove any indications of games having RT or their framerate targets https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/optimized?xr=shellnav

I guess that they don't want to be as transparent any more. Anyway, good to know the PS5 version is 60fps, which is new info for us!
Funny thing is this is sorta the first actual concrete confirmation of next gen enhancements. Which is rather strange when you consider they showcase it with the PS5 version and not the Series X one.
There was a sorta "hidden" mention a while back in a twitter post that it'd be 4K as well, but that was never officially confirmed either (just a 4K logo visible on one of the next gen box arts). So I'd imagine its either 4K & 60FPS, or has performance/resolution modes (hard to say since the engine is rather power hungry on the PC, a proper 4k&60FPS mode would be pretty awesome for any console.

Its great that its gonna be so smooth though. Definitely the way I'm replaying the game. Watching the above cutscene and combat, and comparing that to my time with the PS4 game is rather night and day in places. If there's no screw ups with the FPS boost to the engine (physics etc. messed up) it should be very pleasant indeed - and more over its a good precedent for future Yakuza games as it should mean those will be 60FPS as well!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The PR about Y7 since the beginning is a disaster. The PS5 version was confirmed late. I think there is a marketing deal in favor of MS
But the fact is Sega lied in first place: first they talked about upgrading from PS4 to PS5 period.
Now it's for PS4 digital only, meanwhile people pre-ordered the 90€ CE or even the vanilla, knowing they would get the PS5 version as well.
It's just shitty.