• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
No free disc upgrade is a bad fucking joke.

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza being a timed exclusive for a xbox console is certainly something that would have seemed surreal to type a couple of years ago.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So Sega's choice for gamers -

Buy the PS4 digital version = free PS5 version
Buy the PS4 physical version = free box

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
In most cases I prefer physical media to digital, and the PS5 upgrade release being digital only simply clinches my Series X purchase of the game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
So Microsoft actually really did it with Yakuza 7 nex-gen console timed-exclusive.

200.gif

Still give props to them.

Hope SEGA & Yakuza studio use that time-exclusivity money to good use, lol.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh :/ Timed exclusive next-gen version is some real shit.

but but Phil doesn't do this.....

anyway it's absolute horseshiit. Will still grab PS4 version as I can get cheap.

mis the disc version upgradable for free as well?

EDIT: wait wtf disc version no upgrade? Yeah fuck that shit pre order cancelled.Too much to play anyway

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I always planned on playing this on PS4.

I'd be pretty livid if I was getting a PS5 this year between that delay and upgrade restriction.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Somehow I doubt MS paid for less than 4 months of exclusivity, that hardly seems worth it. Especially considering it's launching on the PS4 in November in the west. I'm guessing it's like another poster said, there were no plans for an upgrade until MS came along and since they pushed for it the Series X version was prioritized and PS5 came second.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Somehow I doubt MS paid for less than 4 months of exclusivity, that hardly seems worth it. Especially considering it's launching on the PS4 in November in the west. I'm guessing it's like another poster said, there were no plans for an upgrade until MS came along and since they pushed for it the Series X version was prioritized and PS5 came second.

People would not give the benefit of the doubt if this was reversed.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's not timed exclusivity, but rather a Football Manager situation where they didn't have devkits?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck them for this, honestly. The timed exclusivity is bad enough, but making the free upgrade only available to digital buyers?

Just fuck them. I hope it was worth it, RGG Studio. I'm not supporting this shit.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Oh well, one generation of good will towards the Yakuza brand was good enough for Sega I guess? Absolutely bizarre deal to make.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no way this is a timed exclusive, anyone thinking that was the case is off base.

You don't miss the previous lead companies new platform launch for the series for many other reasons.

They made it on Series X, *something* has to be up on ps5 to be delayed, and I can't believe sega didn't have that many dev kits.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy this used. Really dislike this decision after day 1(and really don't need to do it cause yakuza games fall in prize quick as heck) buying lots of the yakuza(0, kiwami 1-2, 6, Judgment) games just to support the franchise. Y7 won't get a cent from me.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
cancelled the PS4 version with haste then, i can wait until the Proper Edition launches in march :/

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
I know this is the 7th game in the series but is it a good entry point for a newcomer? I could never get into the brawler aspects of the first 6.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
So Microsoft actually really did it with Yakuza 7 nex-gen console timed-exclusive.

200.gif

Still give props to them.

Hope SEGA & Yakuza studio use that time-exclusivity money to good use, lol.
Ah yes, the classic just under 4 month (or 112 day) timed exclusive.

The awkward timing of the PS5 version's release compared to all the other versions just doesn't support that MS paid for timed next gen exclusivity.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You don't miss the previous lead companies new platform launch for the series for many other reasons.

They made it on Series X, *something* has to be up on ps5 to be delayed, and I can't believe sega didn't have that many dev kits.

Who would ever make up a under 4 month exclusivity pay, have the company sign it and allow the company to post updates talking about it, and even give an exact date that it releases on the other console.

Isnt it out on the 17th of november on xbox?...lol its barely over 3 months.

People are on crack if they think this is an timed exclusive moneyhat, lmao!

The fact that trailer starts with a guy placing his face into his hands just seems far too on the nose. lol

Joo

May 25, 2018
Oh for crying out loud, it's just a couple of months. Everyone gets to play it. I would take these MS timed exclusives any day instead of acquisitions and full third party exclusives.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's probably what you're saying, too.

But also three-month exclusivity deals exist apparently, so you never know.

Also I don't understand the digital-only upgrade when Koei Tecmo announced just the other day that if you buy Atelier Ryza 2 on PS4 digitally or physically, you have access to the PS5 version. Why can't Sega do the same?

Edit: OK this makes sense if it's the case:

this is such a shitty calculated move: the ps4 physical will be in the bargain bin in march everywhere. of course they dont want you to buy it cheap and get a free upgrade.

thats even worse than the timed exclusive deal.

Last edited:

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
bold move for a series that has pretty much been on PS since the beginning, guess i'm not getting this a launch now