• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
How does everyone feel about them going with an "authentic" karaoke feel, in that the ENG singing is amateur with lots of cracks and off key notes. I like how cheesy bad it is, but I won't be downloading them to listen to like the JP versions.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
someone PLEASE fucking help me with this

I don't know what to do and I'm having a panic attack because literally everything I attempt to do to improve the situation makes my finances worse. The bank loan sucks down 500k yen every period and I can't cancel it, but I only make 200k yen in profit each month

someone please tell me what to do before I just turn the game off and never play it again. I'm seriously freaking the hell out because I don't know what to do to fix this.

Can I just run the clock out and fail and start over from 0? Is there a failsafe for people who fucked up like I did?
I take it it's too late to go back to an earlier save?

In my experience, as long as my assigned employees hit the necessary threshold for all three stats my businesses were fine. I havent used any of them yet, but you can get more employees from substories or talking to people around the city so maybe that could help? Just make sure to fire anyone who isnt currently assigned to a job.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I take it it's too late to go back to an earlier save?

In my experience, as long as my assigned employees hit the necessary threshold for all three stats my businesses were fine. I havent used any of them yet, but you can get more employees from substories or talking to people around the city so maybe that could help? Just make sure to fire anyone who isnt currently assigned to a job.

Unfortunately Omelette and Granny are a guaranteed drain of 60k per month regardless of what I do since you can't fire them.

I did read somewhere that the Shareholder Meeting minigame is rock/paper/scissors and that does help a bit...if I can just stem the bleeding until I've paid off this stupid loan I should survive? I dunno.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Was thinking of getting this for my PS5 - I know the PS5 version technically releases in March but this is playable. Does anyone know of any enhancements to the PS4 version when playing on PS5?

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Ever since the beginning of Yokohama I've been trying to find more of those frog statues. Are they really well hidden somehow or do they only appear later on? I've almost explored the entire map (by walking and taking in the scenery) and still only found the one at the very beginning.

Three of the statues
(the first one, one in the food truck and one by the water behind the batting cages)
were pretty obvious if you explored. Two were tough to find
(a glass elevator and hidden in the bar you bond in)
while the rest were insanely hidden. You would walk by them many times without seeing them.

When I was exploring I kept finding areas and though "oh, this looks like a place to put a statue" but it never was, lol

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a short guide on the Management:

You need to have each stat of each building in the blue. That means assigning the right employee to each slot. Since there is 1 leader slot and 2 boost slots and there are 3 stats, 1 stat relies solely on the leader (or rarely, two slots...).
That means you need strong leaders. You can rank up your employees to get them more stats, but it A) costs money to train B) they want more money every 5 levels.
So your goal is to train a minimum amount that you need to keep your buildings all blue.

Employees also have happiness. You can micro this, or you can press X to max everyones happiness. This is extremely important, as it seems to generate more positive and less negative effect during the sales period.
Always keep your employees happy.

Then there is the stock holder meeting. This is essentially a timed rock-paper-scissors. Here high levels are very important, because high levels do more damage. Note that the questions have different colors than the stockholder. So you need to first counter the question, then do damage to the holder.
You can Press Y to do an AoE attack.

The first bank loan is extremely profitable at 5% interest. Max out a high tier building with it, save up money until you can pay it off in one go (So say you have 50m banked and 5 installments left, you can insta it). Then loan the full amount again and buy your second next-tier building.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Three of the statues
(the first one, one in the food truck and one by the water behind the batting cages)
were pretty obvious if you explored. Two were tough to find
(a glass elevator and hidden in the bar you bond in)
while the rest were insanely hidden. You would walk by them many times without seeing them.

When I was exploring I kept finding areas and though "oh, this looks like a place to put a statue" but it never was, lol

At least one is not accessible until midway C6.
It involves a stairway that only opens then.

I stopped hunting when I found that out. Management unlocks before you can complete it, so that 2m reward is a bit of red herring.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For management I immediately took out the bank loan with 500k installments, bought the bottommost property and upgraded the heck out of both businesses. Hired 4 employees whose stats matched what the properties needed (You can't fire granny or omelette so I'm always staffing them) and just went from there. Some of the substories give decent employees. Leveling/promoting staffers seems like a huuuge drain early on for minimal results, so just upgrade the businesses to hit the thresholds for each sales volume increase to increase profits. And give bonuses to keep everyone happy. I'm not sure what happens if you don't hit Ogata's goal, but I would certainly hope there's no permanent punishment because that would be a dick move.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked the job switch & any suggestions as to what to focus on? Here's what I chose.

Ichiban: Foreman
Nanba: Breaker
Adachi: Enforcer
Saeko: Hostess

Almost wanna just go back & stick with what I had since all were job rank 9....and I learned it doesn't end with 10 but 99, geeeez.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to tank the repayments from the loan until they ran out and bust through the Rank 100 wall at the absolute last second before Ogata's time limit came up. Once the loan repayments expired my profit skyrocketed.

At the end of the day, it looks like sales level is the most important part of every business you have - getting your business' stats high enough that you can raise the sales level contributes to how much money it can conceivably produce at a time. Once you have that rotation down it's not too bad to staff up a business, raise its other stats with occasional upgrades, and then bump up the sales level when every bar is green enough that upgrading the business' overall level won't push you back into the red.

Ended up flipping the Coin-Op for about a 60% gain on what I bought it for, and replaced it with a Corporate business that I actually have the staff to run properly, and now I'm pulling in about 8 million in revenue every period, or a profit of about 6.4 mil after salaries. I've pretty much solved the formula, now the hard part is just going to be getting enough new staffers to rotate out the weak starter folks I picked up.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I'm truly impressed one how they delivered a Yakuza game that captures the feel, aesthetic, tone and everything about the series but also make a RPG with layers of mechanics. Even if you don't like JRPGs, the combat and enemy variety is deeper than pretty much any other Yakuza titles. I want more action brawler titles from them but goddamn do I want to see what they could do with more RPG titles.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the difficulty locked once you start the game? I'm just finding the game far too easy now, and want to bump up the difficulty, but the option is greyed out? Any ideas?

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
So i know this game is supposed to be inspired by dragon quest, but the urban setting and all the wacky enemies remind me more of Earthbound. Some of the enemy attack descriptions feel straight out of earthbound.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man.

Screw Bleach Japan. I don't think I felt this annoyed at an antagonist in a Yakuza game. More so due to recent events.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really loving the game so far but as mentioned by others in here before, the timing window for the Y prompts and the blocking during fights is waaaayyyy too tight.

Not that th game is even close to being difficult mind you but still...

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry man wish I could help you. Specially with you reinstalling.
Finally got it fixed just now!

Tried changing admin rights, messing with antivirus stuff, etc and still didnt work.

After uninstalling and reinstalling my my ssd still didnt work.

Went to the steam forums for the game and ran across a thread with people having the same issue. I tried the fix someone had of deleting the graphic ini file in appdata roaming and I was able to boot it up again.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I've 'played' this game for two hours and it's been probably 1 hour 45 mins of cutscenes. When does the game start?

also laughed at Ichiban not aging a day in 18 years. Could've done a few model adjustments at least...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I've 'played' this game for two hours and it's been probably 1 hour 45 mins of cutscenes. When does the game start?

also laughed at Ichiban not aging a day in 18 years. Could've done a few model adjustments at least...

Welcome to Yakuza. lol
it does take a while for the cutscene spam to stop, but you're nearly there

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Feel like the kappa are broken. I've taken tons of pictures of the super obvious one near the homeless camp and the baseball area and they aren't registering. It still says I have 6/10.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the kappa are broken. I've taken tons of pictures of the super obvious one near the homeless camp and the baseball area and they aren't registering. It still says I have 6/10.

You have to get into the right position and the game will outright prompt you to take the picture that counts. If you don't see the X button prompt it doesn't count toward the mission.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I spent several hours on the management minigame (its addictive) yesterday and man, it gets so easy at a certain point. When you get gold and platinum characters they rake in so much money. After getting the top spot I did another few rounds and my money struggles are gone really.

Protip; if the 10 million yen investment for advertising comes in, use it. Its extremely useful in raising funds.

Its funny to see Ichiban starting out with nothing, and yesterday after I stopped playing the minigame I had about 56 million yen. Went to the arms dealer and bought a lot of strong weapons. One shotted a lot of enemies.

Did some sidestories (how do you trigger the one with the biker guys? Ichiban keeps saying "he needs to be ready" but it won't start), completed all of the via vocational tests... and went further along with the story.

At chapter ten now; and I'm thinking I'll grind for a bit now. Story related spoilers, don't click!

Story finally moved a bit and its moving in the direction I expected from it. Bleach Japan sucks and lol fighting that wreckingball crane.

But oh boy, you can't be the successor to Kiryu if you didn't fight a tiger. Despite enemies being a bit stronger, having Eri in the party helps a lot. Her base job is pretty good too. Good chance of inflicting bleed, rolling kick and her crowd control move when throwing tacks destroyed mobs in seconds.

The fights with the tiger, Ma Buchi and the Tojo lieutantent racked up some serious experience points. Went up like four levels ha.

And afterwards... yeah, its going to end up with Arakawa not being the bad guy at all, right? Going to be some long play with Daigo, Majima and Saejima in the know

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I spent several hours on the management minigame (its addictive) yesterday and man, it gets so easy at a certain point. When you get gold and platinum characters they rake in so much money. After getting the top spot I did another few rounds and my money struggles are gone really.

Protip; if the 10 million yen investment for advertising comes in, use it. Its extremely useful in raising funds.

Its funny to see Ichiban starting out with nothing, and yesterday after I stopped playing the minigame I had about 56 million yen. Went to the arms dealer and bought a lot of strong weapons. One shotted a lot of enemies.

I'm still trying to decide whether to promote my two gold executives. I feel like I'm going to run the risk of losing them if I keep them at Contract or Full-Time Employee level but their salaries (and gift fees) are already so high. How much does promotion actually improve a gold executive's stats?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Black jack is riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigged

I've resorted to save scumming this like I'm playing Shenmue becuase fuck trying to get 100k othterwise. These better be the best cards in the game

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Would it be a bad choice to play this before 3-6? Dying to try this but just can't see myself playing those other instalments anytime soon, maybe 3 but that's it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be a bad choice to play this before 3-6? Dying to try this but just can't see myself playing those other instalments anytime soon, maybe 3 but that's it.
Well you'll ruin 6's ending that's for sure. As well as spoil the fate of another character from 6 as well. You can get away with skipping the games but I don't recommend it. And since 6 as a game benefits most by playing 1-5 before it...

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
There are metal slimes equivalents in the optional dungeon. The fifth story party member has a skill that melts down their HP so try to have him in your party when exploring it.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really loving the game so far but as mentioned by others in here before, the timing window for the Y prompts and the blocking during fights is waaaayyyy too tight.
Are you sure you're timing it correctly? You need to hit it after it lands in the circle and it's highlighted, not the very specific moment it first lands on it. Once I realized that, the window feels very generous.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
edit: meant for the community thread but maybe someone can answer this here too?

Any German speakers in here that can tell me how the German subtitles and conversations are in general for the Yakuza games, maybe compared to the English ones?

My SO wants to see if she likes the game as much as I do and watch me play, but shes not a fast english reader and would prefer German subtitles.
I would start with 7 I think as thats the one I recently started but wouldnt mind to start over. (But I do wnat to show her Kiryus story of course)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Are you sure you're timing it correctly? You need to hit it after it lands in the circle and it's highlighted, not the very specific moment it first lands on it. Once I realized that, the window feels very generous.
giphy.gif

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
I just hit chapter 4 the other night. I'm really digging the battle system and the story. Ichiban fuckin rules and I'm really enjoying the friendships between him, Nanba and Adachi. Feels more realistic than most Yakuza games have, and seems to be handling some of the heavier topics pretty well. In the same session, I fought a man over the right to piss in a public river. It's a great game.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
edit: meant for the community thread but maybe someone can answer this here too?

Any German speakers in here that can tell me how the German subtitles and conversations are in general for the Yakuza games, maybe compared to the English ones?

My SO wants to see if she likes the game as much as I do and watch me play, but shes not a fast english reader and would prefer German subtitles.
I would start with 7 I think as thats the one I recently started but wouldnt mind to start over. (But I do wnat to show her Kiryus story of course)
Not sure why this is in spoilers lol

Only two games have German subs: this and Judgement, all the rest are just in English. I can tell you, from the Spanish subs, that they're based on the Japanese audio track, so they don't match 100% to the English dialogue, but they're more than good enough to follow the story.

In fact, offtopic, but I'm not sure who did the Spanish subs, but they used a lot of trash talk and informal terms not really seen in translations, it's pretty damn good.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I legit think I could stay up all night playing the management game if I really wanted to. It's easy, but so addicting.

Gonna have to hit up the vocational school now that I have money to burn.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Almost wanna just go back & stick with what I had since all were job rank 9....and I learned it doesn't end with 10 but 99, geeeez.
Pretty much all jobs stop giving any unique abilities after rank 28-30ish so after that it's just stat increases.

The good news is that the way the Bond system works, you can switch a party member to another job you wanna level up but now use right now (probably cause it's not as high level as the one you've been using) and just swap them out of the party for someone else. Then keep playing the game and after a while, they'll have caught up.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all jobs stop giving any unique abilities after rank 28-30ish so after that it's just stat increases.

The good news is that the way the Bond system works, you can switch a party member to another job you wanna level up but now use right now (probably cause it's not as high level as the one you've been using) and just swap them out of the party for someone else. Then keep playing the game and after a while, they'll have caught up.
Got Adachi at max bond & Saeko is at level 4. Sounds like Nanba has a while before I can unlock his level 3 bond. Thankfully that'll be nice after getting more party members.

Met Eri but had to stop right in the middle of a cutscene (right before she shows me a building & guessing before the management minigame). Any places that sells Enforcer weapons? Only place I found was in Chinatown & it was way too expensive, plus I can't make any at the workshop since I'm only level 2.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Got Adachi at max bond & Saeko is at level 4. Sounds like Nanba has a while before I can unlock his level 3 bond. Thankfully that'll be nice after getting more party members.

Met Eri but had to stop right in the middle of a cutscene (right before she shows me a building & guessing before the management minigame). Any places that sells Enforcer weapons? Only place I found was in Chinatown & it was way too expensive, plus I can't make any at the workshop since I'm only level 2.
Nope. That's really the one downside of Enforcer, getting the good weapons is hard and/or expernsive. You can get some of the weapons from key places/encounters as you progress through the main story but yeah, it's a bit of a struggle.

Still worth levelling up that job though, especially on Adachi IMO since his character abilities synergize perfectly with the "tank" that Enforcer tries to be.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. That's really the one downside of Enforcer, getting the good weapons is hard and/or expernsive. You can get some of the weapons from key places/encounters as you progress through the main story but yeah, it's a bit of a struggle.

Still worth levelling up that job though, especially on Adachi IMO since his character abilities synergize perfectly with the "tank" that Enforcer tries to be.
I think I read that there's a shield at the casino that when fully upgraded is the best weapon for that class. Though I'm waiting to get those items that makes the casino easier. But yeah, something about Enforcer screamed "this is clearly Adachi's starter job but better".

Also decided to keep Kasuga as a hero but make Nanba a musician & Saeko an idol dressed as Haruka.