• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I'm just about done with it, here's what I figured out:

For shareholders, there's a rock paper scissors element to it that works in two ways: the questions they ask and what they are interested in. For the questions, picking the right kind of person that wins the RPS triangle will break all three shields, picking the same will break two, and picking the wrong one will only break one. The questions are color coded like the triangle. Once the shields are broken, pick the right person to damage them once again based on the RPS triangle, but note that the person may have asked a question in a different category than what they actually are.

You can preview what the board will look like ahead of time, so pick a team that has both a diverse set of symbols (the little person icon, the money stack, or the building icon on their card) and a good ratio of stats to costs (each person has a different listed amount of damage/toughness and a point cost associated with using them to answer).

Leveling up your team will also level up their shareholder stats and may control how big your point pool is to call on them during the meeting (I'm not sure of that, but my board is now all max level and my points seemed to top out at 100).

As for the actual management itself, it's fairly straightforward. People have businesses they are best suited to and roles within there that best use their stats; just look at which role will use which stat (except for the far left slot, that always uses all three), arrange your people accordingly, and upgrade your business's sales volume when you can hit most of the stat targets.

Thank you for this! I was able to make it through the shareholder meeting! Things are looking up with this management game at last. XD

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game. Is there any way to turn off the really annoying "Press A to skip" prompt at the bottom right during cutscenes?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. A Final Fantasy VI reference in dialogue. The JRPG homages don't just stop with Dragon Quest.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Still playing it non-stop lol. Last time I played I did a bunch of side quests, including 100% completing the school stuff and the batting cage minigame. Pro-tip, if you're playing on PC, the batting cage is way easier with a mouse over the controller.

Heads-up: there will be a point in the game where you'll need to have ¥3,000,000 in your pocket. Let's just say, at some point after chapter 10. So don't do like I did and spend most of your money right before then lol. There are a few ways to make a lot of yen fast, but I didn't know about them until after I paid it off.

Also, if you haven't realized by now, I hope you're talking to every single yellow taxi you see. They register as fast travel points. It took me way too long to realize that myself.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Freakin' hell, I tried Hero's Valor FIVE TIMES IN A ROW to revive Nanba (who always seems to be the one who gets K.O'd first) & it didn't work.

I hated this stupid mechanic of leaving it up to luck if a party member gets revived in Skies of Arcadia & I hate it here.

Edit: ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I reloaded my save because I wanted to try & not waste as many items in this one special fight against this sea diver guy near the dragon kart & he didn't show up again. Despite every other enemy doing so if you reload. Uuugggghhhh. That 10 minute fight waa meaningless.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know of a good enemy type to beat up to get more Nails? I may have used all of mine forging a new weapon for Kasuga.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
By the way, i looked into it and the director of Yakuza 7, Ryosuke Horii. It's his first game as a director, before that he did the adventure parts of Yakuza 0 like the cabaret minigame, he is also the lyricst behind Bakamitai and he oversaw the karaoke segments of Yakuza 0 too.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Only on chapter 5, but this is easily one of the best I've played this year. It might end up GOTY for me unless Cyberpunk ends up overtaking it

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
My party is Breaker (Kasuga), Musician (N), Foreman (A) and Idol (S) and it's pretty great. Breaker's Windmill can, with good positioning, one shot entire enemy groups.

Also I just started chapter 6 and I'm level 21.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Freakin' hell, I tried Hero's Valor FIVE TIMES IN A ROW to revive Nanba (who always seems to be the one who gets K.O'd first) & it didn't work.

I hated this stupid mechanic of leaving it up to luck if a party member gets revived in Skies of Arcadia & I hate it here.

Edit: ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I reloaded my save because I wanted to try & not waste as many items in this one special fight against this sea diver guy near the dragon kart & he didn't show up again. Despite every other enemy doing so if you reload. Uuugggghhhh. That 10 minute fight waa meaningless.
I feel your pain. I was in the Yokohama Dungeon training and I thought his revival spell would be useful. Nope, it failed so many times. Why is there even a chance of failure with this damn move? =_=

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
This game is so good. I will be really disappointed if they go back to real time combat now. I want to see them evolve this combat system in future entries.
Though if they want to do alternate real time Judgment and turn based Yakuza releases then I am up for it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, Sega.

If there's not a single Rent a Hero reference with this whole Part Time Hero.com thing....then you failed the ONE job you had.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
God, I want to try this so bad but playing though the entire franchise sounds like a nightmare. I've only played Yakuza Kiwami and a little of Yakuza 0, and I loved pretty much everything about them except the combat, which I couldn't fucking stand, especially after platinuming Kiwami. I'm the type of person that hates missing out on references and nods, so jumping straight into this one higkey isn't an option. Ugh.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
God, I want to try this so bad but playing though the entire franchise sounds like a nightmare. I've only played Yakuza Kiwami and a little of Yakuza 0, and I loved pretty much everything about them except the combat, which I couldn't fucking stand, especially after platinuming Kiwami. I'm the type of person that hates missing out on references and nods, so jumping straight into this one higkey isn't an option. Ugh.
Having played and beat YK 1&2, 0, 4, 6 and Judgment, I think if the combat intrigues you, and you generally like Yakuza, go for it. I'm only on the 4th or 5th chapter, so someone else can correct me, but there are not a ton of references or things you need to know from previous games. You'll also get a chance to play the older ones if you want and go "oh, so that's why they said xxxx".
The game is a blast, especially the combat.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

It's a franchise reboot in an entirely different city with new characters. I haven't played any of the others for more than a hour tops and I don't feel as if I'm missing anything because it spends (too) much time establishing everything you need. It really sounds like your creating a problem here that doesn't exist. At worst, you could probably find a youtube video with any nods that exist that you can watch after you beat it. The tone, combat, and activities are pretty wild and unique for a genre like this

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way this game (and series in general) likes to pretend pimps have some heart of gold and just wanna protect their girls is kinda fucking gross.

As much as Chapter 3 does well with its empathy toward the homeless, chapter 4 just fucking feels skeevy.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Having played and beat YK 1&2, 0, 4, 6 and Judgment, I think if the combat intrigues you, and you generally like Yakuza, go for it. I'm only on the 4th or 5th chapter, so someone else can correct me, but there are not a ton of references or things you need to know from previous games. You'll also get a chance to play the older ones if you want and go "oh, so that's why they said xxxx".
The game is a blast, especially the combat.
It's a franchise reboot in an entirely different city with new characters. I haven't played any of the others for more than a hour tops and I don't feel as if I'm missing anything because it spends (too) much time establishing everything you need. It really sounds like your creating a problem here that doesn't exist. At worst, you could probably find a youtube video with any nods that exist that you can watch after you beat it. The tone, combat, and activities are pretty wild and unique for a genre like this
That's good to know! I swear there were a bunch of people (pre-release, at least) stating that there's a reason it's 7 in Japan, and that it pretty heavily relies on the previous installments. I'll try this out once the PS5 patch/version drops! The combat looks fantastic and I already love everything else about the games, so I'm pretty excited!

For some reason, I'm still genuinely interested in Judgment. I know the game's combat is similar to Y1~6, but I don't know. Something about it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on the game up to chapter 7: it's pretty good. I do enjoy the new battle system, but I don't think it's exceptional at this point or anything. I didn't think the old combat system was either though, so it's a tossup. The job system is fine too I suppose. Job levels come really slowly right now which kind of deters me from experimenting too much

The main story up to this point has left me really cold, which I was not expecting. Kasuga has an amazing backstory and the setup with his boss really excited me. Everything after that has felt like a huuuge filler arc though. I'm having a lot of trouble caring about Yokohama and its three crime groups, none of which, at this point, appear to have shit to do with Kasuga other than having killed the Otohime Land guy (who made a terrible first impression). The overwhelming majority of the game thus far has been dedicated to this mook's death, and it's honestly just not compelling. What's also sucks is that Yokohama itself is just kind of boring compared to other non-Kamurocho towns in the series. Sotenbori and Onomichi in particular both had a lot of character IMO, but Ijincho is just so drab visually. It's also annoying to get around lol. The story gives me little reason to care about the town and little reason to care about its factions, so I'm just finding myself not caring at all? I'm certain eventually the story will wrap around to some more interesting subject matter, but right now? It just kind of blows. Easily the weakest Yakuza story at this stage of the game, by a shocking degree.

Substories are as great as ever, thankfully. I also really enjoy the management mode. Part-time Hero quests are kind of a pain in the ass, as is crafting. I'm just not sure how to reliably get the items I need for them, especially as they're needed in such large quantities. I've been fighting a ton, barely running past enemies, and I feel like I'm barely making a dent in what I need. There's a lot left for me to engage in in terms of optional activities, so hopefully those will help.

The dub is really impressive, if not to the same degree that Judgment's was. Dubbed Karaoke is a blast! Still wish that incidental voice clips were dubbed too though, as it does take me out of the experience.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Part-time Hero quests are kind of a pain in the ass, as is crafting. I'm just not sure how to reliably get the items I need for them, especially as they're needed in such large quantities. I've been fighting a ton, barely running past enemies, and I feel like I'm barely making a dent in what I need. There's a lot left for me to engage in in terms of optional activities, so hopefully those will help.

Hamataki Park.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Early Chapter 9 question

Do I get back to 4 party meme bees soon? I want to do some substories but know it would be more efficient with 4 people in the party

Last edited:

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Whew, just finished chapter 7. Quite an emotional chapter.

I did suspect that Nanba was more involved. Usually he's the negative nancy of the group, but he suddenly got a lot more gung ho about the whole thing. Now it all makes sense. Sucks that it seems like he'll be gone for a while, but at least he was nice enough to leave his equipment behind for Eri to use!

I think getting the additional party member just before you tackle the hideout in chapter 7 is the perfect time. I recommend you try to get them by that time.

Man, I love her. Her class is so freaking good. I also like how surprisingly cocky she is.

With that said, it sucks that she's not in cutscenes. I understand that she's a real person, but...argh, it's so much better when everyone's involved in the story. If they ever do this again, I hope they make the person a real part of the story. Even Yuffie and Vincent were handled better than this...

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I think I spent the last 7 hours in the management minigame and just running around doing side missions in chapter 7. At this rate it will take me a month to finish the game. Not that I'm complaining.
Does anyone know, do the briefcases you can find scattered around respawn or do some appear only after you triggered events that enable the items you can find there? I'm revisiting the Sujimon center and I am finding briefcases in places I know for sure I looked earlier but they were not there. Also the Tojo Clan crest hunt is crazy, I almost wish there was a tracker for them, they are litteraly everywhere often hidden behind corners and stuff.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I spent the last 7 hours in the management minigame and just running around doing side missions in chapter 7. At this rate it will take me a month to finish the game. Not that I'm complaining.
Does anyone know, do the briefcases you can find scattered around respawn or do some appear only after you triggered events that enable the items you can find there? I'm revisiting the Sujimon center and I am finding briefcases in places I know for sure I looked earlier but they were not there. Also the Tojo Clan crest hunt is crazy, I almost wish there was a tracker for them, they are litteraly everywhere often hidden behind corners and stuff.
So basically, it'll take you a normal amount of time to clear ;) Definitely took me around a month as well the first time I finished it, and then I spent even more time on it!

As for the briefcases - yes they respawn. In the end I ended up memorising several locations for them and just grabbing them as I swung by certain parts of the map. After a while the contents are mainly pointless but sometimes you luck out with a decent item.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Early Chapter 9 question

Do I get back to 4 party meme bees soon? I want to do some substories but know it would be more efficient with 4 people in the party

Do the management minigame until you reach rank 100. But main story wise, it's a bit until you get back to full strength.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Some beginner tips (or things I wish I knew when I started):
* Go into party and check relationship bond often. When you max out a relationship level you will stop earning points until you follow the instructions to unlock the next level. You don't want to miss these points because you are maxed out at a level.
* Everytime you see a Taxi click A to open the door and then back out. That will register the taxi for future quick travel. I thought walking by would register then and left many locked for use.
* Keep all bugs and items if you plan to turn them in later to complete quests.
* Go into Gear frequently and press X to auto choose the best configuration, particularly if you have been finding lots of items during your travels.
Thanks for these

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Anyone else having issues with the "Whispers of the Underworld" substory?
I did everything I was supposed to, unlocked the weapons vendor, bought a weapon from him and yet the substory is still marked as incomplete, with the text saying something like "I can now buy weapons from him"
Am I missing something or is the quest bugged?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I remain unclear on what the stats actually mean and if there is anywhere in game that clarifies. What does Dexterity do, what does agility do? even more clear ones like "attack" I don't know what the effect of raising attack by 10 is exactly other than vaguely do more damage.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
For the items that increase your stats (like the different books and stuff), any reason not to just use them immediately?

Also, in general, what should I be spending money on, equipment upgrades?

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached chapter 9
It's nice to finally get the plot back on track with Arakawa and his son. I was getting a little bored by the Wall of Muscle plot in Yokohama but seeing now that it was purely buildup for what's gonna happen now makes the earlier plot devleopments more tolerable.
Also a question about a cutscene around the end of Ch8
So there was that mention of the Tojo officers being driven out of the city and two of them were Majima and Saejima but who was the one in the middle? Couldn't recognize him.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached chapter 9
It's nice to finally get the plot back on track with Arakawa and his son. I was getting a little bored by the Wall of Muscle plot in Yokohama but seeing now that it was purely buildup for what's gonna happen now makes the earlier plot devleopments more tolerable.
Also a question about a cutscene around the end of Ch8
So there was that mention of the Tojo officers being driven out of the city and two of them were Majima and Saejima but who was the one in the middle? Couldn't recognize him.
Its Daigo

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Where can I buy weapons for the Chef and Hostess classes? I got the Red-Hot Katana for Bodyguard Ichi and I got a 100-Ton Hammer for Foreman Adachi but I need a new weapon for Nanba and Saeko.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I did the tutorial bit for the management game but then I couldn't see a way to carry on and when I left it went in to a cutscene and I don't know where the office even is, Do I need to progress the story a bit more (on Chapter 5) before I can go back to it?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to find somewhere to buy a good weapon for the Enforcer class, can't find Shield anywhere.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, how does the option to disable QTEs in the options menu affect the damage of skills that have them? Do we know that?
I did the tutorial bit for the management game but then I couldn't see a way to carry on and when I left it went in to a cutscene and I don't know where the office even is, Do I need to progress the story a bit more (on Chapter 5) before I can go back to it?
Yeah, I think you need to leave and come back before you can do any more of it. After that I don't think it stops you from managing all you want.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the exclusivity crap. I really wanna play this. I mean, I could get it on PC but the only reason I'm not is cause all my other Yakuza games are on Sony and I have a PS5 so might as well keep it going.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
How do I unlock the Dragon Cup in Dragon Kart? I have already finished Phoenix Cup and don't see any other race available.

Oct 25, 2017
The office is on the eastern side of the map, look for Ichiban Confections

Edit: western*

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the completion list & holy crap, 47 things already completed. All my personality stats got a nice increase. Still, kinda weird you have to unlock the list instead of having it from the beginning.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im at the beginning but I played at launch and just went back in. I forgot how to protect with a good timing against attack ? Which button ? (Xbox )

thanks