• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 2, 2020
Finished Chapter 4 yesterday and I have to say I am loving this game. I seriously think RGG is increasing their storytelling ability with each entry, I think they've learned a lot since Judgment alone. I definitely am going to try and get that completion list (whenever that is unlocked) finished in the post-game because I want an excuse to play the heck out of this. Once again, I hope that the PS5 version adds another trophy stack so I can double dip but with better framerates.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Not experienced anything like that yet but only just started yesterday. But what state is the game in when you boot? Is it a cold boot or was the game suspended?

Cold boot. It just stays frozen on the splash screen when I start up the game. So it goes something like this: Play Yakuza > switch to Valhalla > quick resume Yakuza - freezes on splash screen, close app, cold boot, still freezes on splash screen. The only work around is restarting the xbox.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Cold boot. It just stays frozen on the splash screen when I start up the game. So it goes something like this: Play Yakuza > switch to Valhalla > quick resume Yakuza - freezes on splash screen, close app, cold boot, still freezes on splash screen. The only work around is restarting the xbox.
I'll boot up later today and let you know. Are you using disc or digital? I'm using disc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or does Saeko's character/face model feel MARKEDLY lower quality than the rest of the party's?

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can you keep the foreman's hidden area breaking ability switching jobs?

It doesn't look like you can which is a really poor decision in my opinion.

Fordy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have had this happen once to me too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i really need to progress the plot so I can unlock Dragon Kart and job switching but I KEEP GETTING PULLED INTO SIDE MISSIONS, haha

Apr 24, 2018
Hearing some people having disk drive issues with their XSX has been disconcerting and may be the final push I need to pick this game up now, so that I can test mine out and (hopefully) have some peace of mind. With so many Game Pass games around, I'm certainly in no rush to play it, and I still need some time to be in the mood for a Yakuza game again (after getting 100% completion on Judgement fairly recently), but I hope everyone who's playing it now is having a blast!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i probably shouldn't have played as obsessively as I did

the part-time hero challenge notifications took over six minutes to stop popping up once i unlocked the challenge menu

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Some beginner tips (or things I wish I knew when I started):
* Go into party and check relationship bond often. When you max out a relationship level you will stop earning points until you follow the instructions to unlock the next level. You don't want to miss these points because you are maxed out at a level.
* Everytime you see a Taxi click A to open the door and then back out. That will register the taxi for future quick travel. I thought walking by would register then and left many locked for use.
* Keep all bugs and items if you plan to turn them in later to complete quests.
* Go into Gear frequently and press X to auto choose the best configuration, particularly if you have been finding lots of items during your travels.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I did a sidequest (well....one that seems mandatory) & man, it's kinda surreal hearing a character you've mainly heard in Japanese be dubbed. Either way, I cannot wait to see all the poundmates. Reminds me of when you'd have the random people helping you in like 2.

Edit: OH GOD SPEAKING OF SIDEQUESTS & THINGS REMINDING ME OF YAKUZA 2. Side story #7. Just....omg.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Okay, now I see why people were annoyed with the Chapter 6 dungeon. I'm not even done with it yet and it does drag a bit, but its also the most JRPG-y the game has felt so far, and I can get behind that.

And speaking of Chapter 6:
What the fuck, that guy in the mask... was that.... HOW!!!???

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, finally midway through chapter 6 and the story seems to be picking up. It's been bizarre being completely uninvested in a Yakuza story.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I friggin' love this game soooo much. Crazy Yakuza action and humor in a turn based RPG just works! I'm only on Chapter 5 but really hope they go even crazier in the sequel in terms of what they want to do with the combat since it has a lot of potentials to be even better.

I wonder if having different squad formations would work or if they can expand on linking chain attacks or more environmental triggers. Like maybe hitting an enemy against a light/lamp post which sparks it, causing them to fly towards another enemy where a party member can do an attack. Positional movement of party members would be nice but I guess they wanted a bit of randomness in the fights.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Two things regarding up to chapter 8:

It's pretty dumb the purple haired lady doesn't fight you, I'm guessing this is because they don't want you ever fighting women. Felt like a missed boss fight opportunity and the reason suddenly dawned me the more she kept having her sujimon fight for her like she's a team rocket character. Didn't Nagoshi imply Kiryu wouldn't fit in a fighting game for that reason?

The body double thing is ridiculous, but oh well. I guess they saved a bit of resources there.

May 27, 2020
8 hours in and this game is an utter delight. The world of the game is just a joy to inhabit and its levity is so refreshing in an era where many AAA games take themselves too seriously or try to act as 'misery simulators'.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
yes all you have to do is switch to it once and you have it forever

Oh. My. God. I saw the Class Ability button and was like "what is the point of this. . ." There is way too much in the game that isn't explained. As for the jobs themselves I kind of wish they had condensed a few of them or spent a bit more time on unique jobs for each character. I do like being able to pull out skills from each but I hate that overall the REALLY good ones are locked behind the class itself. There should be an item like "Transferrable Job Skills" that lets you learn a skill for all classes. Just make it rare or cost prohibitive to make.

This game would really be a lot better if one of the enemy types wasn't a fucking big buff black guy with glowing red eyes.

ALL enemies have red eyes.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Also for everyone asking for how the ps4 version runs on ps5, at least from what some reddit comments say, 1080p, 30fps, but apparently smoother than it would run on ps4 pro? unsure if that's true or what that really means but yeah...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This game is just so good. I can't put it down and it runs great on the Series X. The 60fps is such a welcome change.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Edit: Nevermind. I was confused.

The pacing and urgency of the plot after around chapter 6 doesn't work well with the incentive to do side activities, raise your bonds back at the bar, and spend time leveling.

Last edited:

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
There seems to be a somewhat frequent bug on PC where Arcade games don't load the emulator. And I'm one of these people.
If anyone hears about a fix I'd love to know.

A few more hints:
- You cannot complete the 'find 4 statues' part time hero quest until chapter 6. That 2m yen can't be gotten to early.
- Part time hero stuff completions stats. This means the side activities all add small boosts to Ichiban.
- The timing on the Y attack is way later than you think. It's right before it fades.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Every enemy has red glowing eyes.
True, but I understand some people's grievances with how non-Japanese characters can be portrayed in Yakuza games. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series, but its always been such a strange thing. You could argue that many stereotypical Japanese characters are getting the shaft as well (the salaryman being either drunk or stressed out for example) but its just weird to see black characters being just buff, shooting guns sideways and... the character is called "Big Dog". Thats a no no.

I'm in chapter 9 and enjoying myself a lot. Put too much time in the management game. Btw, headsup, you should keep upgrading Granny and Omelette. They will be low cost board members who will take up problem

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm on chapter 9 and have a question.

Should I spend time doing side activities now or will I get a fourth character again soon? The urgency of the plot and losing Namba meant I've been avoiding side activities, but I feel I'm pretty weak not having roamed doing shit since chapter 5.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on chapter 9 and have a question.

Should I spend time doing side activities now or will I get a fourth character again soon? The urgency of the plot and losing Namba meant I've been avoiding side activities, but I feel I'm pretty weak not having roamed doing shit since chapter 5.
You should go get to under rank 100 in the company management sim before you do anything else.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of jumping into this game, the last Yakuza game I played was the one on PS2 lol but this game seems perfect for someone who missed most of the series and I like what I've seen of it so far.