• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
4.5/5 from Hey Poor Player.

"No doubt about it, SEGA took some considerable risks when they decided to change their established formula so radically for Yakuza: Like A Dragon. But in the end, I think the gamble paid off. Ryū ga Gotoku Studio's latest offering may not pack the punchy, moment to moment gameplay of its predecessors. Still, it makes up for that with its more in-depth brawls, an engaging job system, and a story that focuses not just on a single protagonist but on several compelling heroes with their own complex motivations. "

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2020/11/04/yakuza-like-a-dragon-review-ps4/

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Hype check? My hype is up the roof since the first day it got announced. Love the series so much. And my hype increased even more after the first gameplay videos and especially after the demo they released on the Japanese store. Finally, the long wait for the English release is over next week.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice reviews so far, I'd have imagined it'd hit around 79 on MC, but its trending a bit higher. Will be interesting to see where it lands when all the reviews are out.

Please tell me the story is as dramatic as the other games and not over the top goofy.
Story is quite possibly the darkest of the series so far, it definitely is one of the best plots in the series with some legit fantastic plot twists.

Though I'll once again disagree with anyone suggesting to skip the previous games and start here, it really ruins the impact of several character arcs (especially if you are thinking of ever playing the others). Heck, the second chapter of the game has a really cool callback to several games in the series (mainly Yakuza 1, but also 2 and 6) and it can be a pretty heavy scene, or completely irrelevant if you never played the earlier games. I guess you dont need to play the older ones, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice all the same...

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice reviews so far, I'd have imagined it'd hit around 79 on MC, but its trending a bit higher. Will be interesting to see where it lands when all the reviews are out.
79 would've made this the worst reviewed current gen (soon to be last gen) Yakuza game, so you had a bit of a low expectation.

IIrc Y0 is 85 on MC, so if LaD gets a few more 9s and 10s it might be able to tie with Y0 for the best reviewed Yakuza game.

Last edited:

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
I know there is a PS5 upgrade coming next year...but if I buy the PS4 version, my PS5 will still play it right?

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I know there is a PS5 upgrade coming next year...but if I buy the PS4 version, my PS5 will still play it right?
Yes but you cannot transfer the save!
that's why I'll wait until March. Would be a day 1 otherwise but for whatever reason they decided to close out their core market.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a good starting point for new players? Thinking about grabbing the ps4 version to play on ps5 during targets b2g1 free.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm excited about it, but I have only played Zero and Judgment at this point. Plan on getting through Kiwami first.

Oct 27, 2017
Played them all up to now and sadly, I fall into the camp of "can't deal with the changes to the combat system"

Not my genre cup of tea at all, so I'll just watch a walkthrough on YouTube and hope that one day they bring the series back to its roots.

Hope the game is awesome for the rest of you though!

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I literally turned my PS4 on to look at the countdown for 5 minutes and turned it back off: it's my most anticipated game this year.

The hype is very high!

tenor.gif