• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Been playing it for a couple of days (NA version)

Although there's a review embargo, I can tell it's a great game already. It's a real bummer though about the (nonexistent) upgrade to PS5.

Can you say if you feel like any of the "extra stuff" from the Hero or Legendary Hero Editions would be worth it at all? Thanks!

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Please tell me the story is as dramatic as the other games and not over the top goofy.
It's pretty dark. But the sidequests are what you'd expect from Yakuza: sometimes dead serious/emotive, other times extremely goofy.

There's a LOT of dialogue. It's really a RPG through and through, with crafting/bonding/side quests/job system/etc.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty dark. But the sidequests are what you'd expect from Yakuza: sometimes dead serious/emotive, other times extremely goofy.

There's a LOT of dialogue. It's really a RPG through and through, with crafting/bonding/side quests/job system/etc.
Are you able to ask Sega why there is a delay for the PS5 release?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I forgot I had a $50 best buy gift card because of a screw up they did to an order of mine a few months back. So I used it towards the physical PS4 version. Hope I get the nice steelbook. This might be the last PS4 game I will get.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try, although I wouldn't get my hopes up about a clear answer. Rumor has it the PS5 version was either unfinished or that Microsoft has marketing rights for the game.
Cheers mate. Would really appreciate it if you could let us know if you find anything. I wonder if the PS5 version will be any different to the Series X version.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed about the Xbox exclusivity. I want to play on PS5 but may cave and get for my One X.

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
Yooooo check out this huge leak for Yakuza 7 PS5 graphical improvements!!!

123328974_838337630273043_3806066749380718110_n.png

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting to play Yakuza 4,5,6 on PC before this game... so whenever Sega decided to give me those games.

pablogers

Oct 27, 2017
A question for you Era: I havent played any Yakuza before, but i love third person games with a good story; not very fond on open world games but its not a NO. Do you still recommend this game to me? hype me!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
A question for you Era: I havent played any Yakuza before, but i love third person games with a good story; not very fond on open world games but its not a NO. Do you still recommend this game to me? hype me!
This game won't have a huge open world, this is honestly the perfect one for you to pick up because it's story will be separate from 0-6 besides a few nods & such. The story of Yakuza games are really inspired & express a wide array of emotions. Honestly, this game is for you.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The story is good and Ichiban is a great character. I love how you go from rags to riches in the game. It's semi open world, i.e. you have a lot of room to explore and do side stuff, but it's not as intimidating as an Ubisoft game.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Also remember this is a turned based RPG, it's not going to play like the Witcher or something similar.

Previous Yakuza game were "Open City". You can run around a lot, and do side stories, but it's pretty focused. You mostly play the entire game in one city, and maybe move to a few smaller areas.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sure. Yakuza 7 is basically a fresh start for the series, so this isn't a bad place to jump in.

If it's a good story that you want out of a game, it sounds like Yakuza is for you, the main storylines are gritty crime dramas while the side quests are mostly lighthearted and hilarious, it's a good time.

They're definitely not "open world" in the same sense as games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, or BOTW. The maps are never terribly big, and you basically spend the whole game jumping from story beat to story beat with the option of doing a plentiful amount of optional side content along the way.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I think you would enjoy it. Yakuza games strike a nice balance between linearity and big open world games. As others have mentioned, you're running around in a city, but it's not massive. And what's there is super dense.

Yakuza's stories are always fantastic with incredibly loveable characters, so I have to assume Like a Dragon will check that box.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely.

If you have no problems with a party style turn based RPG and possibly some grinding then Y7 is def for you. But if you are more an action person, then I'd recommend Judgment (which is completely stand alone). Either way, I think you'd really like Yakuza style RGG games if you appreciate good story. Don't worry about the "open world" aspects of it since it's a much much much smaller OW than what you get from western open worlds.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Yakuza takes place in a 3x3 grid of blocks. It's less open world than nearly every other JRPG in existence. But Yakuza 7 looks like it takes place in a map roughly double in size, plus I think we go back to Kamurocho at some point.

pablogers

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies; will give it a try when i get my next gen setting, hopefully in 2 weeks.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
I'm excited, but I have too many other games on my plate. I have Beyond Light, AC Valhalla, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and Black Ops Cold War to play. To make no mention of the fact that I'm trying to beat Watch Dogs Legion right now.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been asked, but can I play this without a problem, if I've never played a Yakuza game before?

Oct 14, 2019
Was debating on either grabbing the PS4 version and playing on my PS5 or getting the Xbox One X version. I grabbed the One X, as I have no patience and can't wait the 9 days between Yakuza and PS5s release (19th November, here). Plus having Yakuza will definitely soften the wait until the PS5 is here.

I imagine the PS4 version on the PS5 will only improve it up to a locked 30fps and slightly faster loading times, anyway. The Kiwami versions on Xbox One X ran relatively smoother than PS4 Pro, so that should help. Bring on next week!

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm the game is a timed exclusive for next gen
Cheers mate. I appreciate you getting the info. It's disappointing for me as someone who is getting a PS5 and I am annoyed at Sega for pulling this but I understand that it's a business decision. I feel like they're going to lose a lot of good will this way so it remains to be seen whether it will be worth it.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I'm so torn on this. I have a Series S coming in but honestly only pre-ordered it on a whim.

a) Get Yakuza for my One S physical, cancel my preorder (or sell it to someone who wants it more than me

b) Keep the pre-order, get Yakuza digitally, sell my One S.

I never keep games, so buying digital would also put me out the$40-50 I'd get back from selling the physical copy when I'm done.

I don't care about graphics at all, but zero load times sounds real nice. But is that worth a new console and buying digital? Probably not? I mean, I'll be getting a Series S at...some point. Just don't really NEED it now.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'm so torn on this. I have a Series S coming in but honestly only pre-ordered it on a whim.

a) Get Yakuza for my One S physical, cancel my preorder (or sell it to someone who wants it more than me

b) Keep the pre-order, get Yakuza digitally, sell my One S.

I never keep games, so buying digital would also put me out the$40-50 I'd get back from selling the physical copy when I'm done.

I don't care about graphics at all, but zero load times sounds real nice. But is that worth a new console and buying digital? Probably not? I mean, I'll be getting a Series S at...some point. Just don't really NEED it now.
Digital Xbox copy also gets you a Windows Store PC version if that helps any.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Never played a Yakuza game, but this looks extremely enjoyable, quirky, fun, and I can't wait.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews are up !

Here is our review (Tres Mandos) in Spanish tho

Gameplay from Xbox one X

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Here's ours! 9/10

powerup-gaming.com

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Review (PS4) – Dragon Quest Number 1 - PowerUp!

As a fully certified fan of the Yakuza series, I can say until only a few weeks ago I wasn't very interested in this new chapter of the series. No Kiryu, no go. And a turn-based battle mechanic? No thank you. However, Leo's preview managed to ignite my interest, as a lot of what he

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, when all of its pieces are taken together, is not only a fantastic new direction for the series, it's also one of its best titles.