• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Torn on playing day 1 or waiting for ps5. Gonna be my first real foray into Yakuza, the new character and starting point helping me to finally dive into the series.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I really would like to play this... but the last yakuza title I played was Kiwami 2. The rest is still missing in action on PC. Not sure if it's a good idea to skip on 3,4,5,6 storywise.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I really would like to play this... but the last yakuza title I played was Kiwami 2. The rest is still missing in action on PC. Not sure if it's a good idea to skip on 3,4,5,6 storywise.
I've not played more than a few hours of yakuza 0, and I couldn't be more excited tbh haha!

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite excited for this. A Yakuza style game that is a turn based RPG is a dream for me.

I revised my earlier plan of blitzing the remaining games to just finishing Yakuza 4 before jumping into this. I'm on the finale of 4 now so that's attainable.

Hopefully there aren't many spoilers for broad plot points in 5 and 6.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Are there any videos or confirmation that this supports Auto HDR on Series X|S? Yakuza 0 does apparently so I feel it will but was curious.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Already added to my account, so I will be there day one on PC. Extremely excited for it! I think the new combat system is the perfect fit for the franchise and I already love Ichiban from what I know of him.

I always purchased Yakuza and Ryu ga Gotoku Studio games as soon as I could up until this current gen because I moved away from consoles. I borrowed a friend's PlayStation 4 to play through Yakuza 6, but otherwise I have gotten far behind the releases. It is super exciting to be able to play a Yakuza game day one again!

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Getting it day 1 on PS4 just to support it and get the steelbook, probably not playing it until the PS5 upgraded version releases.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Getting it day one for PS4 and playing it right away. Will switch to PS5 if it arrives before I am done with it. I don't think the next-gen features on this title are going to be worth holding on playing it. Especially now that Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed and I have no other game to play at that date

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Once I've slowly made my way through the 3-5 remasters, I'll have played all of the main lines. The PS5 version should be available by then, and I am so fucking hyped to hop in!

Things before the dragon engine were a little....rough. You can see the good ideas, and the humor is still there, but holy shit is it a world of a difference. Those walking animations, woof...

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I am incredibly pumped but I probably won't play it until December or even January. I have a carefully curated list of exactly what I am playing and when with next gen launch + PC (giving myself one title on each platform, one long one short, etc) and while I 1. love Yakuza, 2. love turn based JRPGs, I think the length of this game will require me to put it aside as I am more focused on finishing the big open world games first: Miles Morales is my #1 most wanted game, and then #2. Yakuza, #3 Cyberpunk.

The reason I am more inclined to finish those open world games first is that I find I am very unlikely to return to them months or years later because my backlog grows so quickly. So if I know I have taken time and slotted in playing those types of games I should take advantage of it, because there are some open world games I still have not touched as they fall further back in my backlog (MGS V, for instance). Anyways, it may sound dumb but works for me. Conversely, a game like Yakuza 7 - a turn based RPG I can feel comfortable pausing at any time, playing during work breaks, etc, is best held onto for a little while.

Not sure if PC or XSX for me, leaning XSX.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
I don't really agree with any of that myself. The whole back third of the game goes back to Yakuza 5, with two main characters having big call backs to Yakuza 6 to explain their motivations and reasons for being in the game. Heck, even the games ending... well I'll stop there but not playing 5 and 6 before 7 feels like some of the reveals, revelations and ongoing plot will fall flat.

Sure, but 5 and 6 make even less sense if you don't go back and play 0-4 before them.

If the two possibilities are play 0-6 before 7, or start fresh with 7, only one of those options is reasonable or feasible for most newcomers.

7 spoils the fates of four characters, all of which have been shown in the official trailers. The only 'reveal' that will fall flat is silly and nonsensical to begin with.

The point is to grow the franchise fanbase, not bog it down with hundreds of hours of legacy content (no matter how awesome and amazing they are).

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda still burnt out on Yakuza still, so probably 6/10 overall on my hype scale. I know 7 massively changes up the combat, which I think will help me a lot get over that, but going to hold out for a sale first. Been paused on Judgement for like 8 months too, so will probably finish it first before moving on to 7.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty low on my hype scale despite loving the Yakuza games (finished replaying 6 four months ago). It's a low priority and Sega made it easier for me to put it further down the list. I'll get to it eventually though.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for it but with two other games I really want coming out at around the same time (Age of Calamity and Melody of Memory) it is the most likely to be pushed back, for me. I still haven't played Kiwami 2 and 6 and I haven't been spoiled on those so I'm used to waiting. I'd only feel bad about not being able to vote for it in the GotY discussions lol

Entirely depends on my financial situation.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Like others, I'm not thrilled about the move to turn-based combat, but I'm also not crazy about having a group running around with me at all times.

You frequently had a character or two with you in the previous Yakuza games, but there was still plenty of time spent alone, soaking in the atmosphere, going to restaurants, playing mini-games and engaging in sub-stories. I know that having a team with you won't stop you from doing any of these things, but I just dislike dragging NPCs around with me everywhere I go in any game.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Love the series but the only game I have owned day 1 is Yakuza 5 (preordered on PSN...played for the first time last year lol).

Played Yakuza 6 recently and playing Judgment now (It is great! Better than I expected from reviews and community feedback) so I will probably play this in another 6 to 12 months.

Love the series but takes a while to catch up and I need a cool down period between them at times.

Fist of the North Star is on sale now... anyone have opinions on that one?

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbing it on PS4 and will play it when the PS5 patch arrives.

Also, the game isn't available on Steam where I live so screw SEGA for not allowing me to double dip

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
I'm always excited for more Yakuza games but I don't think I can afford it at launch.

So can I actually play this on ps5 day 1 via bc if I pop in a PS4 disc?

As far as I understand it, yes. You can play the PS4 version through BC on day one.

You should also be able to download the PS5 version in march.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
Already beat the JP version but i'm tempted to double dip for that sweet sweet steelbook. =/

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
I'm always excited for more Yakuza games but I don't think I can afford it at launch.

As far as I understand it, yes. You can play the PS4 version through BC on day one.

You should also be able to download the PS5 version in march.
Thanks! But just realised the save won't transfer over so bit of thinking to do..

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
After watching a few videos this one seems to be more goofy than the other entries. Are there no more dramatic scenes and one on one bad-ass fights?

Oct 28, 2020
This is the first game I'll be playing on the Series X and I'm super hyped for it. I'll be playing with the English dub after seeing how well they did with the Judgment one.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Day one, this will be my Series X launch title.

I'm just not sure which edition to get yet, and whether the extra stuff in the more expensive editions will be worth the increased cost.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
All hype deflated with the delay of the PS5 version. Their typical target audience can go pound sand I guess.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I have it pre-ordered on PS4 but I honestly don't have much hype for it atm.

Idk if it's the whole PS5 fiasco or if it's the 'let's Ubisoftify Yakuza's release!" approach that Sega has had with Like a Dragon, but for some reason I'm not really that hyped about it.

It also could be because of the turn based gameplay and the possible grind/repetitiveness that comes with it. Not only that, but I also fail to see how a party based turn based combat wouldn't affect how I view Ichiban compared to other MCs in the Yakuza series (strength wise).

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by this?
EdinFhSXsAMpdrs.png

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Been playing it for a couple of days (NA version)

Although there's a review embargo, I can tell it's a great game already. It's a real bummer though about the (nonexistent) upgrade to PS5.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks to the PS5 version releasing late, and Sega releasing this game in a Ubisoft style with 3 versions with diferent extra gameplay content on them. My hype is on an all time low to the point im going to only pick it up at a lower price. And im using an Ishiban avatar.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Been playing it for a couple of days (NA version)

Although there's a review embargo, I can tell it's a great game already. It's a real bummer though about the (nonexistent) upgrade to PS5.
Please tell me the story is as dramatic as the other games and not over the top goofy.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Will play it years from now probably. Love this series, but likely will play through 3-6 first. By that time they will probably be up to Yakuza 10 lol.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I still think I am getting this at launch but have yet to order it. I want to play it and would like a Series X launch title, but there's so much else to play I wouldn't mind just grabbing it for PS5 later. That said I would like the steelbook as the others they have done have been really nice, and I'm getting a digital PS5.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to play it in a decade or so. I just recently finished 5, so I still have to play 0, 6, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 before it.

Oh and dead souls I guess.