• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
>_< Wanting the only remaining brawler in the decently-sized-budget game space not to change into a completely different genre doesn't mean you're closed minded. Being wary about how ass the UI and speed/clunkiness of the combat looked doesn't mean you're closed minded.

I'm a huge turn-based JRPG fan, but nothing about this looks like quality turn-based combat so far. And it's a shame to see, essentially, the death of the brawler genre.
Judgment will probably get sequels, so it's not the death of the brawler genre.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I guess this was only way for a playable female protagonist was ever going to fight in a Yakuza game?

You think that factored into why this is turn based?
Also iirc the April Fools trailer showed the woman as mostly a support character, so she probably won't be doing a whole lot of fighting. Do you think enemies will be able to even target her with anything besides a basic attack or group attack?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
>_< Wanting the only remaining brawler in the decently-sized-budget game space not to change into a completely different genre doesn't mean you're closed minded. Being wary about how ass the UI and speed/clunkiness of the combat looked doesn't mean you're closed minded.

I'm a huge turn-based JRPG fan, but nothing about this looks like quality turn-based combat so far. And it's a shame to see, essentially, the death of the brawler genre.

Yeah but it's too early to cast Judgement (ha) on the execution of the shift. I'm not 100% sold either. But not giving them a chance and waiting until real gameplay and reviews and immediately saying "fuck this shit I'm out" doesn't seem fair to a franchise that presumably these posters have loved for years.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Turn based? Nooo :(
I love the Yakuza series, especially for the combat. Don't ruin it with turn based... Damn.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
As a huge fan of Sakura Taisen and Yakuza this year has been... very confusing for me. I am honestly impressed with how crazy SEGA is with changing up these franchises so much, but I am pretty open minded all the same.

That said! Judgment was THE game to be experimental with, especially as it was meant to be a new IP. I am sure I will enjoy this game but a sudden unexpected change in genre and especially calling it Yakuza 7 instead of Shin Yakuza is just insulting to fans really.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Urghh. I hope the turn based stuff is a mini game portion, otherwise.. I'm mostly out.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I am SO out...
I would have never thought they could make me lose interest in a main Yakuza game before release.
Jesus Christ what a disappointment and this is mere days after me saying that Nagoshi never failed me.

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, the change feels instinctively odd and I worry it'll make the game feel like a slog.

On the ooooother hand, it's not like the best em up elements were particularly smooth, polished, and didn't feel like a grind.

If the animations are still badass then that's half the battle for me. Having party members will be a cool new dynamic as well.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm probably done with Yakuza for now. No Kiryu, this new guy and now turn based combat are all huge turn offs for me. I'll just stick with 0-6.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Yeah but it's too early to cast Judgement (ha) on the execution of the shift. I'm not 100% sold either. But not giving them a chance and waiting until real gameplay and reviews and immediately saying "fuck this shit I'm out" doesn't seem fair to a franchise that presumably these posters have loved for years.

I mean, I'm still in on this game, but what else are the people who already know they don't like turn-based JRPGs supposed to do? It's not like it's a ground-breaking new genre or something like that. If it suddenly turned into a tower defense game that'd be all it took to make me respond the same way -- because I hate tower defense games. You can't just throw money after things you know you don't like.

And honestly, the fact that they didn't show more than a tiny excerpt of gameplay is a wee bit worrisome purely on its own.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Maybe they should of waited until TGS and include an playable demo booth before announcing such an big change.

Might of gotten an warmer reception due to hands on impression? idk.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's always been a single party member JRPG, so I get it. I can see how it came to this after a gazillion games of mostly the same thing.

Oh well, maybe more people will give Shenmue III a chance now lmao

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind turn based or a swerve like this, but I don't particularly trust them to make turn based interesting. Even just their normal combat was never all that great, but at least it was quick usually.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm still in on this game, but what else are the people who already know they don't like turn-based JRPGs supposed to do? It's not like it's a ground-breaking new genre or something like that. If it suddenly turned into a tower defense game that'd be all it took to make me respond the same way -- because I hate tower defense games. You can't just throw money after things you know you don't like.

And honestly, the fact that they didn't show more than a tiny excerpt of gameplay is a wee bit worrisome purely on its own.

They'll show gameplay at TGS. They usually don't show gameplay at their reveal events.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the reception is for Japan, RPG's are popular there.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Turn based could be interesting, though. Think about dungeons and equipment actually mattering.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can certainly say it's at least interesting to see action gameplay fans having to deal with this for once

Turn based RPG fans are too used to this. lol

I wonder what the reception is for Japan, RPG's are popular there.
Going by Twitter, bad. I think they have a bigger set of expectations of what Yakuza "should" be, but maybe they warm up with time.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
That's rad!

I loved Kiryu, and his 7 mainline games, as well as Judgement. But yeah, this formula needs a break.

JRPG Yakuza, sign me the f up.

Already love Ichiban.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
fucking turn based, yay! About time, the series needed a change gameplay wise, I am very happy with that announcement!

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I can certainly say it's at least interesting to see action gameplay fans having to deal with this for once

Turn based RPG fans are too used to this. lol

This is such an eyeroll worthy attitude. I love turn-based RPGs, hate that they're turning Final Fantasy into a purely action series. But the brawler genre is WAY closer to dead than the turn-based RPG genre. And now it basically is dead, unless they release future Judgment games.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
This is such an eyeroll worthy attitude. I love turn-based RPGs, hate that they're turning Final Fantasy into a purely action series. But the brawler genre is WAY closer to dead than the turn-based RPG genre. And now it basically is dead, unless they release future Judgment games.

Nah, they'll prolly go back eventually prolly right after. Or if they make another collab game like Fist of the North Star was.
Kinda like the massive genre changes for the spin off games, they mostly seem to have been received kind of well.

Dead Souls played really well, or rather I liked it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sucks for brawlers. It's just that the situation is very unique and turn based is the type of game that gets called "archaic" all the time and asked to change, so this is weird.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
These games have been JRPGs in anything but combat, and now the absolute Mad Lads actually gone and did it. They really like Dragon Quest that's for sure.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
If the turn-based doesn't work out, or it sells poorly, they will just make a more standard one as they said. If it does well, Judgment or similar spin-offs can keep the style alive. If neither of those, still lot of old games for a franchise many of us never imagined would make it past 2.

But then your money would go to Sugiyama's pocket

Only options left without that would be Dragon Quest Swords or they make a new "classic" Dragon Quest just for a mini-game. Either of which would be amazing in their own way.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've loved every entry in the Yakuza franchise (um... except maybe dead souls) and I'm really excited to see this change, brave move Sega!

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
So they make Sakura Wars an action game, and then Yakuza turn-based.

I hope Sega knows what they are doing.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Nah, they'll prolly go back eventually prolly right after. Or if they make another collab game like Fist of the North Star was.
Kinda like the massive genre changes for the spin off games, they mostly seem to have been received kind of well.

Dead Souls played really well, or rather I liked it.

Dead Souls was a great game hiding under relatively poor controls and really poor framerate.

I will say though, if it's just that the devs were sick of making non-stop action games with virtually identical controls, I completely understand that. No one should be forced to make the same exact type of game forever. If it's just to try to get a new audience, or because people complained about "Yakuza fatigue" or whatever, then I'm really disappointed :/

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The series' sales have been declining ever since the release of 5 way back in 2012, it doesn't surprise me they'd go for something this ballsy to renew interest.

This is kind of interesting. It was after that, with 0's western release in 2017, that sales in western countries started going up.

I'm not an expert in this but I can imagine turn-based giving the game a broader appeal in Japan. Conversely though, being turn-based on a console could also limit the game's appeal in western countries. In multiple interviews they've said they're still making Japanese sales and appeal the priority, even though they are taking advantage of the western sales boost.