• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
surprised but not surprised. They were already selling some P2W-ish/questionable DLCs for Judgment.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the Merciless difficulty for Persona 5 was offered in Japan? It was free in RotW. I know, different developers, but same publisher.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I recall correctly, similar dlc stuff for Japanese Yakuza releases has been included for free in western localizations.
I'd expect this to be included when we get the game over here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, similar dlc stuff for Japanese Yakuza releases has been included for free in western localizations.
I'd expect this to be included when we get the game over here.
While that's true, in recent entries they've done more paid DLCs here as well. Judgment for instance had a decoration items pack paid DLC and a paid girlfriends pack + Saori DLC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Hostility towards another member
just another reason why this shouldn't have been a mainline Yakuza title
Do fuck off with this uninformed garbage, Maybe you should actually look up the plot of the game and realise that its far more important to Yakuza's main cannon than the last 3 games combined. But that'd actually require looking beyond the fact its turn based, something your probably unable to do.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what sort of difficulty this is. I certainly want Yakuza to be difficult again, so I'll purchase it on that factor alone. Yakuza has been pathetically easy for over a decade now (basically 4 and up have been insulting easy on the highest difficulty), if buying an actual hard mode that's hard gets it through the developers thick skulls, so be it.

I mean, I could cry about how they've bizarrely cut NG+ out of the main game, but then I realise my save file is 130 hours and I've still not 100%ed the game. So... yeah I really don't mind throwing them further cash for what is still the most content filled series out there. And as to why more paid DLC exists... well its twofold - everyone else is doing paid DLC of some description, and sales have been decreasing since Yakuza 2... so eventually it was bound to happen. They are still doing weekly free DLCs anyway.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
What a shame. Doesn't affect me personally since I never play NG+ anyway, but still not a good development.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Do fuck off with this uninformed garbage, Maybe you should actually look up the plot of the game and realise that its far more important to Yakuza's main cannon than the last 3 games combined. But that'd actually require looking beyond the fact its turn based, something your probably unable to do.
It could have been done as a spinoff like Judgement, no need to attack people for that.
Hell, they don't even dare calling it Yakuza 7 in the west.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Curious to see what sort of difficulty this is. I certainly want Yakuza to be difficult again, so I'll purchase it on that factor alone. Yakuza has been pathetically easy for over a decade now (basically 4 and up have been insulting easy on the highest difficulty), if buying an actual hard mode that's hard gets it through the developers thick skulls, so be it.

I mean, I could cry about how they've bizarrely cut NG+ out of the main game, but then I realise my save file is 130 hours and I've still not 100%ed the game. So... yeah I really don't mind throwing them further cash for what is still the most content filled series out there. And as to why more paid DLC exists... well its twofold - everyone else is doing paid DLC of some description, and sales have been decreasing since Yakuza 2... so eventually it was bound to happen. They are still doing weekly free DLCs anyway.
Stop supporting this kind of crap for fuck sake. Thers a diference betweed releasing paid DLC like extra costumes and expansions, to this crap, that is pretty much cutting feautures that was available in previous games, and now selling them as PAID DLC. Just stop supporting greed.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It could have been done as a spinoff like Judgement, no need to attack people for that.
Not calling it Yakuza 7 is a mistake, IMO. What are they going to call 8 when it releases in the west, Yakuza 2? Changing the numbering of mainline games is a relic of the 90s that shouldn't be brought back.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Stop supporting this kind of crap for fuck sake. Thers a diference betweed releasing paid DLC like extra costumes and expansions, to this crap, that is pretty much cutting feautures that was available in previous games, and now selling them as PAID DLC. Just stop supporting greed.
Seriously, don't fucking tell me what to do. You don't want to support it? I totally understand, but I will damn well do so if I please. But if it leads to an actual hard mode (which, no, has not been in Yakuza for over a decade, I mean an actual hard mode, not easy mode called "hard" mode) I'm all for supporting it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Judgment has 0 bearing on Yakuza and aside from a few nods here and there does not affect the overall plot. 7 does, heavily. And if they did it as a spinoff you'd only get people bitching about it being like Kingdom Hearts where side stories hold vital plot that directly plays into sequels (like so many "spinoffs" did for the main plot for KH3).
So no, I don't agree it should be a spinoff, and not calling it 7 over here is baffling. Then again, no more baffling than calling the main series "Yakuza" instead of Like a Dragon to begin with...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Not calling it Yakuza 7 is a mistake, IMO. What are they going to call 8 when it releases in the west, Yakuza 2? Changing the numbering of mainline games is a relic of the 90s that shouldn't be brought back.

Yeah, I was thinking about that recently too. I can see why they're doing it, but it could lead to a lot of confusion in the future when Ryu ga Gotoku 8 has suddenly to be called Yakuza: Like a Dragon 2. It would really be back to name shenanigans like in the 90s which I'm personally not a big fan of. While 7 is in fact tied to the main canon of the series, it can also be a starting point for new players, because it's pretty much a soft reboot with an entirely new cast. Not calling it Yakuza 7 kinda avoids the question "can I start with this one? Do I have to play all the other games before it?" and thus perhaps missing out on potential sales by newcomers. That's at least what I came up with thinking about the reasoning for the different title in the west. Personally, I wish they would call it Yakuza 7 simply because it is a continuation of the main plot, despite an entirely new playable cast.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Numbering sequels is out of fashion now. They'll probably keep putting new subtitles on them instead. TBH I kinda wish this game was called Yakuza: The Whereabouts of Light and Darkness.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Seriously, don't fucking tell me what to do. You don't want to support it? I totally understand, but I will damn well do so if I please. But if it leads to an actual hard mode (which, no, has not been in Yakuza for over a decade, I mean an actual hard mode, not easy mode called "hard" mode) I'm all for supporting it.
When u support greed, your pretty much giving them a thumbs up for they business decisions. Which preety much makes them keep adding greedy shit to a franchise that was pretty fair with its dlc, when most of it was free in the west. And how can u be so naive thinking this hard mode will be any diferent than previous games Legendary modes?

Last edited:

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking about that recently too. I can see why they're doing it, but it could lead to a lot of confusion in the future when Ryu ga Gotoku 8 has suddenly to be called Yakuza: Like a Dragon 2. It would really be back to name shenanigans like in the 90s which I'm personally not a big fan of. While 7 is in fact tied to the main canon of the series, it can also be a starting point for new players, because it's pretty much a soft reboot with an entirely new cast. Not calling it Yakuza 7 kinda avoids the question "can I start with this one? Do I have to play all the other games before it?" and thus perhaps missing out on potential sales by newcomers. That's at least what I came up with thinking about the reasoning for the different title in the west. Personally, I wish they would call it Yakuza 7 simply because it is a continuation of the main plot, despite an entirely new playable cast.
I kinda get why they did it, to try and appeal to new players but it's still just really offputting to me. If people end up liking the game they're gonna look it up online and find out that it's actually the 7th mainline game anyway.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I agree.
Judgment has 0 bearing on Yakuza and aside from a few nods here and there does not affect the overall plot. 7 does, heavily. And if they did it as a spinoff you'd only get people bitching about it being like Kingdom Hearts where side stories hold vital plot that directly plays into sequels (like so many "spinoffs" did for the main plot for KH3).
So no, I don't agree it should be a spinoff, and not calling it 7 over here is baffling. Then again, no more baffling than calling the main series "Yakuza" instead of Like a Dragon to begin with...
"Like a Dragon" wasn't really marketable back then, and still isn't now.
And while we could talk about the plot of 7 (heavy spoilers), the thing is that some of this stuff isn't so important and wasn't that necessary either. As in it could have had less links to other games and it would have been received the same way by the vast majority of people.

edit: if Yakuza 7 fails in the west, and leads to no "like a dragon 2", I wonder what they'll do.
But man I wish people will try the demo before buying it because that combat is terrible.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

And while we could talk about the plot of 7 (heavy spoilers), the thing is that some of this stuff isn't so important and wasn't that necessary either. As in it could have had less links to other games and it would have been received the same way by the vast majority of people.

edit: if Yakuza 7 fails in the west, and leads to no "like a dragon 2", I wonder what they'll do.
But man I wish people will try the demo before buying it because that combat is terrible.
Whether you think the combat is terrible (I sure don't, I like it) is certainly something that nobody will ever fully agree on (people are for sure gonna drop off hard on the game due to the turn based combat), I can't agree that you could view 7's plot as anything less than insanely important to the future of the franchise. I mean, you can't. When/if 8 launches, it'll be incredibly interesting to see what's happening due to the repercussions in 7.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

This is what I was wondering about. I doubt the game will sell better than the older games with the new combat (which I think looks fun, just not "better than the brawling" fun). Assuming they change the combat back or even the name, it would be weird for new players to start playing Yakuza only to hit 7 and assume it is a spin off or even start playing it to find the combat is different and be weirded out about it (not sure how big of an impression this will be but I am already seeing people going wtf when they find out the combat is turn based).

I am really interested to see what will happen later this year.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I can see why SEGA dropped the 7 in the west, is a soft reboot so not a bad place to start, and all the time we get debates on where to start so i assume SEGA wanted to make another easy entry point like 0. But yeah, i do feel for a 8th game, is gonna be tricky to see what are they gonna call it over here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was wondering about. I doubt the game will sell better than the older games with the new combat (which I think looks fun, just not "better than the brawling" fun). Assuming they change the combat back or even the name, it would be weird for new players to start playing Yakuza only to hit 7 and assume it is a spin off or even start playing it to find the combat is different and be weirded out about it (not sure how big of an impression this will be but I am already seeing people going wtf when they find out the combat is turn based).

I am really interested to see what will happen later this year.
Didn't hurt the sales in Japan. Didn't help them either. But who knows how people outside of Asia will react but I sincerely doubt its going to crater the series like others think it will.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Disgusting, but the signs were there with those gross microtransanctions they've been introducing more and more in other games.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was a bad idea when Capcom tried doing this with Mega Man and it's a bad idea for every game that's tried to do it as well.

Sucks to hear.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can see why SEGA dropped the 7 in the west, is a soft reboot so not a bad place to start, and all the time we get debates on where to start so i assume SEGA wanted to make another easy entry point like 0. But yeah, i do feel for a 8th game, is gonna be tricky to see what are they gonna call it over here.
Yakuza: Like a Dragon 2. Like a Dragon is literally how the series is called in japan. They dont use the word Yakuza in the title.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am not getting this, i won't pay for a difficulty mode. My second playthrough when i make one will be normal difficulty.

Disgusting, but the signs were there with those gross microtransanctions they've been introducing more and more in other games.

PS5 scramble came surprisingly without any MTX ... i am still shocked ;P

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
OsGKsnU.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't hurt the sales in Japan. Didn't help them either. But who knows how people outside of Asia will react but I sincerely doubt its going to crater the series like others think it will.
I was under the impressions that the game sold less than Yakuza 6 in the debut week but I might be wrong.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the west take it. In my circle no one is getting the game (I was not sure about it myself cause I want to vote with my wallet cause I do not like the direction the series is heading. The difficulity dlc sealed the deal on me not buying it day one). However, my circle doesn't represent everyone over here so we will see what is going to happen.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I know that of course. I just feel is gonna be odd to have 8 in japan and 2 over here, that's what i was getting at.
Yakuza series need new players, the player base is very small, staring a new Saga with a new character makes perfect sense to change the name to make it easy for new players. Is not like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest that each game is a new story, Yakuza has been a continuation, its very offputting for new players to buy a game with a 7 in the end knowing they are missing 7 previous games worth of story that relate to that game. Even if Yakuza 7 uses backgroud story from previous games, at least you staring to follow this new character saga from the starting point. To me was the right decision to do.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Probably means the game hasn't met sales expectations and they're trying to recoup costs with paid DLC

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I was under the impressions that the game sold less than Yakuza 6 in the debut week but I might be wrong.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the west take it. In my circle no one is getting the game (I was not sure about it myself cause I want to vote with my wallet cause I do not like the direction the series is heading. The difficulity dlc sealed the deal on me not buying it day one). However, my circle doesn't represent everyone over here so we will see what is going to happen.

agreed about voting with my wallet and this sealing the deal. I'll not lie, I'm eventually gonna buy this game, but not anywhere near full price and not soon enough to indicate I'm pleased with the Series direction

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Less than 6, higher than every other PS4 Yakuza released. Plus, unlike what some expected sales didn't drop through the floor with the genre change but remain pretty stagnant, or even increasing slightly from Kiwami 2, Judge Eyes, 0 etc. (though, 0 was low because the PS3 port leached from potential sales there). My point was more, it didn't suddenly drop to some sub 100K first week.
Also, and I gotta ask - how does the difficulty DLC hurt your enjoyment of buying it day 1? Unless I'm mistaken, didn't you want to play the game on the easiest possible difficulty to make fights go by faster? (which, by the way is just modding the best weapons in the game, you'll be 1 shotting groups in no time!)

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I mean if you're willing to play another 40+ hours of the game, why wouldn't you be okay with donating some peas to the developers? You seem to really enjoy it?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yakuza series need new players, the player base is very small, staring a new Saga with a new character makes perfect sense to change the name to make it easy for new players. Is not like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest that each game is a new story, Yakuza has been a continuation, its very offputting for new players to buy a game with a 7 in the end knowing they are missing 7 previous games worth of story that relate to that game. Even if Yakuza 7 uses backgroud story from previous games, at least you staring to follow this new character saga from the starting point. To me was the right decision to do.
That's fair, i said i understood why SEGA did it, i just have concerns that now we aren't gonna have parity with Japan when it comes to the numbers and that it could have some repercussions in the future localization wise. But who knows, guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So they've straight up removed Premium Adventure from vanilla Y7 then and now they are selling that as a DLC? If so, then that's a pretty shitty move.