• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I heard this mentioned a while ago, and I've also heard Yakuza fans mentioning this as an unfortunate theme throughout the series, so I'm both surprised and impressed that they did it.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Good on them. Never played a Yakuza game, but this kinda makes me want to get 3 just to show some support.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was known to be cut a few months back.

Still awesome to see they made the right choice

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Can't wait to see the complaints about censorship on twitter and youtube (let's see if anyone here is brave enough to expose themselves)

'HOW SJW'S RUINED YAKUZA ' and other such nonsense. I can see the youtube clickbait already

Also, Kiryu is such a weirdly respectful, sensitive lead and I love the series for that. The rooftop conversation in Kiwami 2 was so not what I would expect but damn it if this guy isn't the most noble gangster.

Kiryu is an amazing protagonist, but an absolutely awful yakuza member. He's literally stopped more crimes than the police, and destroyed more of his own clan than rival clans.

Question and this is off topic. Will this go to the West and will 4 and 5 be remastered as well?

I suspect once 5 gets a release in japan, a collection of sorts will arrive in the west. It would be dumb not too, consider the low cost and the fact that the translation is technically already done

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's not just transphobic content that was removed. I believe they also removed one of the gang insignias which was a Imperial Japanese flag. No doubt because the remaster is localized and sold in Asian countries too, and ain't no one wants to be reminded of those raping and murdering asswipes.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's not just transphobic content that was removed. I believe they also removed one of the gang insignias which was a Imperial Japanese flag. No doubt because the remaster is localized and sold in Asian countries too, and ain't no one wants to be reminded of those raping and murdering asswipes.
Japan: The Light of Asia!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, I touched on that earlier - its Tamashiro's family who got the insignia changed slightly to something less offensive.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Really happy the devs are doing this kinda thing. Makes Atlus' actions even worse considering its all a part of Zelda. Why does Sega not have control over Atlus like they should?

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Funny thing is, the character model still appears in the PS4 version as you fight her as part of the ultimate challenge mode (its not actually Michuru though, its another character with the same character model. I forget what the story behind that is, its part of the side story plot but I never really enjoyed the side stories so I've no idea why your fighting her)

On a more positive note - the character isn't written out of the series, she appears in Yakuza 4 and works in the bar Earth Angel. She makes small talk with Akiyama at one point. And she's kept in the PS4 remaster, which is good news.

Well, as long as they didn't erase her I think it is fine, as its understandable that they could not remake her part due to the budget.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
When fucking Yakuza is more progressive than the Persona series...SEGA must be feeling the heat. Good move.

Adding everyone who whinges about this "censorship" to my ignore list.
To be clear, the Yakuza 3 PS4 remaster came out in Japan in August last year, long before the Catherine bullshit went public. So this isn't a case of SEGA feeling the heat, it's a case of Ryu ga Gotoku Studio >>>> Atlus.

Good news. Yakuza's always had a very positive message but they'd still use some very negative stereotypes as "comedy", so it's great they recognised that and made some changes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So lesser work then? Release it sooner please, my Yakuza 6 disc is waiting.

It's not a lesser work at all. The Michiru cutscenes are stupid, transphobic, and don't reflect who Kiryu is as a character. They should be cut and they're doing players a favor by getting rid of them.

There's absolutely no reason to keep a side story that has an optional ending where a transwoman rapes Kiryu in an alley in the game in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a lesser work at all. The Michiru cutscenes are stupid, transphobic, and don't reflect who Kiryu is as a character. They should be cut and they're doing players a favor by getting rid of them.

There's absolutely no reason to keep a side story that has an optional ending where a transwoman rapes Kiryu in an alley in the game in 2019.
I think he just meant 'less work, hence they should finish the localization faster'

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think he just meant 'less work, hence they should finish the localization faster'

That would make sense. I've just seen a lot of people complaining about "censorship" and the remaster being an inferior product because the scenes were cut. It's all over Twitter and it just...woof. It gets to me.

Oct 27, 2017
That would make sense. I've just seen a lot of people complaining about "censorship" and the remaster being an inferior product because the scenes were cut. It's all over Twitter and it just...woof. It gets to me.
Yeah, I've seen some vile shit too. That's why I'm not sure if I will get the game, maybe on a deep discount if the localization fixes most of the bad shit.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Just gonna leave this here. More proof the Yakuza devs are legit. Persona Devs hold that L.
DJAf7H-UMAAB0S6.jpg:orig

DJAf7H8UEAEh6_A.jpg:orig

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've seen some vile shit too. That's why I'm not sure if I will get the game, maybe on a deep discount if the localization fixes most of the bad shit.

That's really the thing for me. I was still kind of a Yakuza baby when I played 3 (I owned 2, but never finished it), and even back THEN the Michiru story arc and the alleyway-rape ending just felt completely tonally inconsistent with what Yakuza, and who Kiryu, is. Kiryu doesn't judge people, it's kind of his core character trait.

Nagoshi owning up to the fact that gay panic is not funny and working to fix one of the biggest black marks on the series up to this point is only a good thing in my mind.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Just gonna leave this here. More proof the Yakuza devs are legit. Persona Devs hold that L.
DJAf7H-UMAAB0S6.jpg:orig

DJAf7H8UEAEh6_A.jpg:orig
I find it really funny that a series about literal criminals has more respect for LGBT people than a series about teenagers rebelling against oppressive adults.

On topic - nice, this is going to move this game way up my favourite Yakuza rankings.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, the Yakuza 3 PS4 remaster came out in Japan in August last year, long before the Catherine bullshit went public. So this isn't a case of SEGA feeling the heat, it's a case of Ryu ga Gotoku Studio >>>> Atlus.

Good news. Yakuza's always had a very positive message but they'd still use some very negative stereotypes as "comedy", so it's great they recognised that and made some changes.

Oh, I missed the part where it was removed from the Japanese version! Based Nagoshi.

Oct 27, 2017
That's really the thing for me. I was still kind of a Yakuza baby when I played 3 (I owned 2, but never finished it), and even back THEN the Michiru story arc and the alleyway-rape ending just felt completely tonally inconsistent with what Yakuza, and who Kiryu, is. Kiryu doesn't judge people, it's kind of his core character trait.

Nagoshi owning up to the fact that gay panic is not funny and working to fix one of the biggest black marks on the series up to this point is only a good thing in my mind.
Oh, I meant that I dont know if I should buy Catherine FB haha. I'm totally getting Yakuza 3 day 1! I think I mixed the threads that I was posting too, sorry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I meant that I dont know if I should buy Catherine FB haha. I'm totally getting Yakuza 3 day 1! I think I mixed the threads that I was posting too, sorry.

Yeah, I feel you there. I'm...I don't think I can play through Catherine again, especially with all the weird shit added to the new release.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel you there. I'm...I don't think I can play through Catherine again, especially with all the weird shit added to the new release.
I thought I was answering to the Catherine FB thread, sorry about the confusion.

And yeah, I don't know if I will ever play Catherine again now that they have doubled down on their bs.

But Yakuza, I love the series and changes like this makes me want to support Nagoshi even more.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yakuza is one of those series where you can feel the creators 'mature' in certain ways as the games progress.

That's not to say they don't love dumb/gross humor or batshit insane scenarios, but more that they know to keep a good emotional core in its main characters, and always has them learning from others through experience.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That's a good change. It was very un-Kiryu.

Looking forward to the Yakuza 3 remaster just so we can get the cut content in the Western release in it.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
You know what? I just got Yakuza 0 on Steam after seeing this thread. I was already thinking about it, but this pushed me over the edge. Congrats, SEGA!

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Little surprised people are finding out this change now, I remember hearing about it a few weeks after the release in Japan.

I'm glad they got rid of it, reflecting upon it, it wasn't anything worth keeping and how the translation was handled didn't help either. The team realized it was in bad taste so they axed it in the remaster, good on them.

There were also some other changes made including an Okinawan clan symbol that featured the Imperial Sun being altered to something else and the Quiz mini-game being removed altogether, the latter probably for easier localization (for the Chinese and Korean territories, no clue if and when an English version will come).

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Defending transphobia + "Hive-mind" rhetoric. History of infractions.
Resetera supporting censorship. Who would've thought...