• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
You really have to wonder whether Kiryu isn't a Nagoshi self-insert. He definitely seems like the kind of guy who could kick anyone's ass if he wanted to. While simultaneously being kind and cool af.
OK Jesus Christ lol. Some of you guys are watching too much anime. Not one aspect of Nagoshi is physically imposing, not one. I love the man, big Yakuza fan, but wearing fancy suits and having a tan does not imply fighting abilities lol. He's just an awesome dude who is becoming more progressive with time, and that's great to see.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
OK Jesus Christ lol. Some of you guys are watching too much anime. Not one aspect of Nagoshi is physically imposing, not one. I love the man, big Yakuza fan, but wearing fancy suits and having a tan does not imply fighting abilities lol. He's just an awesome dude who is becoming more progressive with time, and that's great to see.

I mean, if you were a cool dude who dresses sharp and knows how to treat people, but also wanted to be a video game protagonist, wouldn't you make yourself the most dangerous man in the country?

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question and this is off topic. Will this go to the West and will 4 and 5 be remastered as well?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's amazing, props to them. Just makes Atlus look like even bigger pieces of shit

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they were saying that back when remasters were announced, regardless it's a great move and good on the team to do so!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Nagoshi-sama is mentally imposing, lol.
220px-Toshihiro_Nagoshi_20140125.jpg

I mean, I am already a scrawny wimp. But I'm so not fuckin' with this dude.

LapinLopLuna

Oct 29, 2017
Good. Glad they acknowledged what they had was disgusting and wrong and decided to make the choice to remove it and have some integrity.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Hot-take: Since I played Yakuza Kiwami for the first time this past year I thought the Yakuza games are the closest I'm playing to a game similar to Eternal Punishment. Good stuff. P2 would be benefit a remake using the Yakuza engine, specially for the city exploration.
The joke i always have in my mind is that the forgotten pre-persona 3 era of persona games are the only thing to make the cross-over into the Yakuza format since you can make so many jokes about some weird shit happening in the neighborhood, that or the smt mobile game. An actual serious cross-work between them sorta was in the cards once Atlus would finish P5. Sega and Atlus could be working closer together if need be, but i think since Atlus bacame part of Sega, Sega sorta held the promise of being more hands-off on at least the P-team of Atlus.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Transphobia
Is one allowed to express disappointment. I found the quests to be funny.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Yakuza 3 had a side quest that featured a trans woman with the game calling her "it" and "guy". Furthermore, she chases Kiryu around town to kiss him with all of it being played for comedy. It's fucked, tropey, unnecessary and I'm glad they removed it. This isn't a first for the serious either with some really questionable stuff but I'm glad they got rid of it.

5TySBDL.jpg

n8gGvry.jpg

8n7d79e.jpg

Oh, I see, now I'm wondering if they just remove her entirely or if the modify the character, her story and the way that people around treated her.

Thanks for the info by the way.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It's lovely that they try to fix their shit...even tho the ideal would have been remaking it in a non offensive way (I guess it was too expensive)

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear it! I've only recently started the series with Yakuza 0, but maybe I'll keep supporting the series afterwards.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who's been following the series since the first game it's been really cool to see the series actually grow and try to do better when it comes to subjects like this. The team still stumbles at points but they've really improved over time and they seem to genuinely care about doing better.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I recall some of the transphobic stuff made it into Y4 as well. I take it that was modified as well? Can't remember if that's been mentioned here yet.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Hearing people hush about Yakuza in this thread REALLY makes me want to get around to this franchise because I've still barely touched them despite owning most of the PS3/PS4 releases (even bought Y5 digitally to support it!). It's just so intimidating!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see, now I'm wondering if they just remove her entirely or if the modify the character, her story and the way that people around treated her.

Thanks for the info by the way.

Funny thing is, the character model still appears in the PS4 version as you fight her as part of the ultimate challenge mode (its not actually Michuru though, its another character with the same character model. I forget what the story behind that is, its part of the side story plot but I never really enjoyed the side stories so I've no idea why your fighting her)

On a more positive note - the character isn't written out of the series, she appears in Yakuza 4 and works in the bar Earth Angel. She makes small talk with Akiyama at one point. And she's kept in the PS4 remaster, which is good news.

It's lovely that they try to fix their shit...even tho the ideal would have been remaking it in a non offensive way (I guess it was too expensive)

The remasters are fairly low budget in that regard, so I'm guessing that since they couldn't just change the dialogue to make things come across better, they just cut it entirely. If we'd have gotten a full on remake it might have been different (then again, they might have just cut the story anyway, not like Kiwami 1 and 2 had every single side story from the original included).

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's awesome, but also known and brought up in the last thread. And that storyline and character is the only real issue I have had with this series, with that gone unlike Catherine this will be an instant buy if it comes west for me.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good move on Nagoshi's part. Forgot about this part completely.

Its also worth noting that one tiny change (as in, you wouldn't notice unless you really paid attention to the original game) is that Tamashiro's badge/emblem for his family was changed. The original version of the badge was quite close to the Imperial Japan flag. But no one really raged about that, just ignorant redditors yelling "SJW" because Sega dared remove some pretty bad content. Which is strange as they actually have a pretty positive trans story in the Japanese release of Yakuza 3 as well regarding the massage parlour lady (whom you might recognise as the lady from many of the Yakuza/Sega streams that Nagoshi does). So hopefully when 3 finally gets a English PS4 release we get all the stuff cut from the PS3 version. Well almost (we ain't getting Answer X Answer, and nothing of value was lost!)

1080p resolution (higher in Pro, not sure if native 4K). 60FPS frame rate, pretty much locked, bar one corner of the Sega Nakimichi arcade (no, really, it just drops there!)
Also, load times are basically reduced to 0 - so while its not as instant as walking into a shop in Dragon Engine games, its almost there.
Worth noting, that while the frame rate boost makes things gloriously smooth, its the res jump that helps most as the Yakuza games are almost all sub 720p on PS3 (bar Kenzan) an 3 especially is insanely blurry. Playing the same game but in a higher res makes certain areas really pop - Okinawa especially in the day time/sunset is sublime, textures really upscale really nicely to the higher res' and are much more readable to!

As mentioned above, aside from the side stories cut, the quiz game Answer X Answer is also cut. While never stating why, I have a feeling its due to Sega not wanting to localise the content in China/Korea (which got a same day release as Japan did for the remaster). So they made one version of game code instead of tweaking it for other markets. Aside from that I'e read in the past that AxA stores its questions as textures/image files and not text - so changing them to other languages is actually far harder than it would first appear. Then you have the issue that all questions are based around pop culture/history/niche content in Japan, so actually knowing the answers even if you speak the language would be difficult anyway.

Also, you can't look at magazine covers anymore in the M Stores. Oh well, nothing really lost there!

Also, interestingly unlike later Yakuza games which held auditions to get hostess girls for the games, Sega licensed real hostesses from real clubs (from what I understand) for 3. These licenses expired so they swapped the hostesses out for others from other Yakuza games. Fun fact, the dialogue/side stories/answers all actually stay the same as they originally were in Yakuza 3!

Oh, and one more change/addition is that all DLC for the game is now ON DISK. This includes all weekly DLC packs that just gave you more items, but 3 was actually the one Yakuza game that originally had DLC modes as well for the arena, as well as a survival/boss rush challenge mode. So all this is on disk this time which is fantastic.

I've not played 4 yet, but I put 100 hours into the PS4 version of 3 and I gotta say despite it being a pretty budget remaster (not in the same league as the Kiwami's) I absolutely loved it. The few changes they make (to res and FPS) make it an unquestioably superior game. And I enjoyed it so much that I actually got the mini game master trophy (anyone who's played Y3 will know that's no small feat!)

Wow... thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post. Appreciated.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Will they also be going back to Yakuza 0 and revising characters like Mirei? There's no pronoun misusage, but the implications of this scene are pretty offensive.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
See? Your "Japan gonna Japan" or "Lol it's Japan" excuses wouldn't really work anymore.

People act like Japan is a hive mind, they're not. They've been progressing just fine like everyone else in the world. By using those kind of excuses, you're generalizing the entire nation for being phobic.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Good. But the decision to let 2 games do the opposite is so Sega. They should start to evaluate Atlus works before publishing. They own that shit, so they should rule them with an iron hand.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Everyone should care ideally. This was an excellent move by SEGA and obviously the dev team cares enough to remove that crap.

Hint: Many devs roam this forum and they do take notice, there's no other forum with similar importance which isn't reddit.

It's good to see the impact we have on the gaming industry like you say since we moved away from the other place.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3 had a side quest that featured a trans woman with the game calling her "it" and "guy". Furthermore, she chases Kiryu around town to kiss him with all of it being played for comedy. It's fucked, tropey, unnecessary and I'm glad they removed it. This isn't a first for the serious either with some really questionable stuff but I'm glad they got rid of it.

5TySBDL.jpg

n8gGvry.jpg

8n7d79e.jpg

RPGamer92 Could you put my post in the OP for context?

They actually kept Michiru in the remaster of 4

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is really great to hear. I really like this series but there certainly are parts of these games that are pretty questionable to outright awful so knowing they'll be addressing some and hopefully be more aware of it moving forwards is fantastic.

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as a huge fan of Yakuza I'm not sad to see this go. As well as just being incredibly offensive it also doesn't make sense from Kiryu as a characters perspective especially as the character progresses through the series. There's also the outcome that if Michiru catches you she rapes you with Kiryu putting his hands against the wall going "That was worse than anything in the joint". Again doesn't make any sense so good riddance. Looking forward to seeing the other cut content get reinstated though. Now hurry up Sega and get the rest of the series released on PC. Ta.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this has been known for a while. Best series stays winning.

Nagoishi needs to send some of his guys to Atlus to teach them some respect.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
great job sega, now please ask the other sega to fix their shit

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
That's great. It's such a surprisingly wholesome series when you play the substories and the writers have clearly grown over time. This is a good reflection of that.