• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is almost finished with Kiwami 2, surely it's difficult going onto the remaster of Yakuza 3 4 and 5?
Been wondering if I should maybe just go to 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for this to be true. The other games play well enough
Thankfully already confirmed to be a typo.

Yup, we've talked about this in the past. There's clearly a strong aversion to having us play a morally gray character, and I fear they'd whitewash Kazama at least somewhat. Not only that, but I'm not sure what the unfortunate passing of Tetsuya Watari means for Kazama as a character. I know Watari hadn't done voice work for the games in a decade (his dialogue in 0's epilogue is simply reused from the previous games), but it's possible they'd have at least tried to bring him back for any games set prior to 2005 in the timeline, and now I'm just not so sure about that. Recast, or just never feature the character again?

I get wanting new stuff over remakes, but in my post, I actually neglected to mention the games that would benefit most from them: the two Black Panther PSP titles!
Kurohyou 1&2 I'd rather remasters... the games mainly thrived because of the technical limitations of the PSP. For example - the cutscenes are animated comic book style scenes instead of in engine/FMV scenes. It gives the games their own awesome sense of style that I fear would be stripped away if the games were remade with new cutscenes. Likewise the combat should absolutely not be touched at all, again its a nice change to the formula as it uses a Def Jam style combat (due to the same devs doing both games), I don't want that changed to Dragon Engine combat personally.

As for Kazama... they could in theory recast - wouldn't be the first time a character in the series got a new VA, but the difference being that the people at RGGS definitely have this huge respect for Watari (their twitter tributes to him definitely gave me that vibe) so they might retire him completely out of respect.

As someone who is almost finished with Kiwami 2, surely it's difficult going onto the remaster of Yakuza 3 4 and 5?
Skipping the games are a no no. Never understood the idea that its hard to go back to earlier games, they all basically play as less refined versions of 0...if you loved 0, you'll have no issues with 4 and especially 5. Who knows about 3, I think it plays great, other people can't stand it. Who knows.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Considering Yakuza 3 is IMO the worst entry in the series I'd welcome a Kiwami version. It has not aged as well as people claim. It's a PS2 game with a PS3 veneer.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hey what the hell, this better be a typo I just bought the Remaster collection lol

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll see any more Kiwami remakes anytime soon, the ones that we got were made by reusing a ton of systems from the more recent entry in order to reduce costs. If a Kiwami were made now it would have to reuse 7's combat which would feel weird for a Kiryu game.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I would say 3 is the roughest one coming from Kiwami 2 as it has the most limited combat overall but it's also not as long as the others. I am current getting close to the end of 4 and liked it a lot more than 3. Going back to the older engine is not quite as bad and you do get used to it.

I am hoping that by the time I am done with 5 they have announced Yakuza 6 for PC because I don't want to play it at 30 fps.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll see any more Kiwami remakes anytime soon, the ones that we got were made by reusing a ton of systems from the more recent entry in order to reduce costs. If a Kiwami were made now it would have to reuse 7's combat which would feel weird for a Kiryu game.
No it wouldn't, curious why you'd think that regarding combat. Fist of the North Star came out between 6 and Kiwami 2, but it used the old game engine (which 5, Ishin etc. used) and its combat also more closely resembles the older games.

If a remake of 3 happened (which it isn't), it'd take Kiwami 2's combat and build off of that.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say for sure, but I think this is a typo.

The September schedule has a Yakuza: Kiwami 2 memorial event:

2etlxVD.jpg

The Yakuza: Kiwami 3 memorial event appears in the October schedule:

Yszzv21.jpg

ryu.sega-online.jp

KI-ZU-NA通信 Vol.6(9月14日 10:30更新)|『龍が如く ONLINE』プレイヤーズサイト|SEGA

『龍が如く』史上最強の宿敵の一人「郷田龍司」の“ZERO”を描く完全新作ストーリー配信中!『龍が如く ONLINE』

My guess is that whoever put these schedules together copy-pasted the Yakuza: Kiwami 2 event, replaced the numbers, and forgot to remove the 極.

But who knows? Tokyo Game Show is right around the corner and we tend to see something new from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio around this time. Yakuza: Kiwami 3 just doesn't make sense to me though since it has already been remastered.

Edit: Didn't see this. Just disregard my entire post lol.

Typo, straight from the horse's mouth.

unless?

Last edited:

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Yakuza 3, for me, felt the best out of the non-PS4 ones so I don't think it really needs a Kiwami.

I'd love if they worked on Yakuza 5 in order to trim off the fat or make it more easy to follow, as that game really is a clusterfuck of plot lines that go nowhere or serve no purpose whatsoever. And I loved the gameplay, but still.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3, for me, felt the best out of the non-PS4 ones so I don't think it really needs a Kiwami.

I'd love if they worked on Yakuza 5 in order to trim off the fat or make it more easy to follow, as that game really is a clusterfuck of plot lines that go nowhere or serve no purpose whatsoever. And I loved the gameplay, but still.
It'll never happen with the budgets remakes get, or the sub 1 year dev times the remakes get. Picture this - Yakuza Kiwami 2 had to have a small area cut for time/budget. Now imagine a Kiwami 5 which in addition to Kamurocho, has an expanded Sotenbori compared to 2/Kiwamii 2), Sapporo, Fukuoka and Nagoya, not to mention the small town Saejima finds himself in before reaching Sapporo. That's not taking into account the fact that 4 character styles need to be added to the current engine, all the unique activities etc.
I'm against big cuts in remakes (a big reason I have issues with RE3 REmake, it cut like... 1/3 of the game out, if not more) and 5 would be butchered. They could sure rewrite the story to make it flow better, not against that but I don't want to see stuff like hunting, taxi driving etc. cut from the game. Plus 5 just got a great remaster, so I really don't see what the point in an inferior remake would be anyway after that release.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Pleased to see it was a typo.

I hope Kenzan gets the Kiwami treatment or Ishin gets localised next.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I think it might be an internal project name for the "third kiwami game", and that that game being Kenzan. They talked about doing a Kiwami of that a while ago.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The official twitter account for the online game responded and said is was a typo.
It should have said 3 not Kiwami 3 and the image will be corrected.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as this has been confirmed to be a mistake, this thread is now locked

Status
Not open for further replies.