• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 21, 2019
-- Spoilers for Yakuza 0 and the first 3 chapters of Yakuza Kiwami/Yakuza 1 --

Over the last week and a half I played through Yakuza 0, and it was my first Yakuza game. I absolutely loved it. So many great characters, a script with a great localization, and so smartly designed in so many ways. It really was a tremendous experience. Aside from a dragging a bit in the middle chapters, I really only had one thing that rubbed me the wrong way, and that was what happened to the characters right at the end during the epilogue cutscenes. Now as I said, I had never played another Yakuza game before, but even I could see just how clumsily the game pushed Kiryu and Majima into essentially their starting positions for the beginning of the original Yakuza, complete with what must be their original outfits. Specifically:
  • Kiryu's decision to rejoin the Dojima Family, despite them being the villains I just spent 45 hours trying to stop
  • Majima's decision to leave Makoto
  • Majima all of a sudden becoming 'crazy'
None of these things felt like the logical next steps for these characters given everything that came before. And sure enough, when I finally started Kiwami, the inconsistencies between the original game's story and Yakuza 0 only grew more jarring:
  • Papa Dojima really out here snatching up women off the street by himself??
  • Nishiki is not only a villain, but he also kills someone like immediately, despite Nishiki being the one at the climax of Yakuza 0 to talk down Kiryu from ending Shibusawa, despite all of the crazy evil shit Shibusawa has done
  • Who the fuck is Yumi
  • Majima also almost killing a dude but is stopped by Kiryu. Again, at the climax of Yakuza 0, Majima has every reason to kill Lao Gui and Dojima, but Sera talks him down. Again, this is supposed to be the line that once crossed, you can't come back from.
And this is all on top of the obviously more dated gameplay of Kiwami, which I assume hews fairly close to the original PS2 game, compared to Yakuza 0. But I think I'd have a much easier time looking past the dated gameplay if this story felt like a true successor to the story present in Yakuza 0.

Now, I know I'm comparing a game from 2005 to a game from 2015 (I believe these are the original Japanese release dates of the original game and Yakuza 0) and obviously games have come a long way since then. But what I'm hoping someone can tell me is whether the versions of the characters seen in Yakuza 0 are specific to that game only? Or, and this is what I'm hoping is the case - as the games came out over time, are these the characters that formed over time, as the Yakuza team grew as storytellers and fleshed out more and more of these characters and the world? In other words, if I push on and get to the later games in the series, will the characters eventually resemble their incarnations from Yakuza 0? Like, I believe Yakuza 5 was the last game before Yakuza 0 right, so how is the storytelling in Yakuza 5 compared to Yakuza 0? Much closer to Yakuza 0 I hope?
All I can say it, always play in release order. Always.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
People playing Kiwami 1 should know the difference between "Majima Everywhere" and Majima's actual canonical scenes. You have to understand, in 2005 Majima wasn't a main character, he was a supporting anti-villain. He became a main anti-villain in the following games and wasn't considered a main character until Yakuza 0. His only actual canonical scenes in Yakuza 1 are the part in the alley where he almost kills that guy, the batting cage scene, and the Shaingri-la scene.

Later games did two things: they fleshed out Majima's backstory (you mainly see this in Yakuza 4 and 5), and they made him mature somewhat as he rose higher and higher in the Tojo clan.

And yeah, looking back, Yakuza 1 probably is the bleakest storyline in the series. It's essentially The Fall of Kiriyu. He goes to prison and doesn't recognize the world around him when he gets out. It's like a Japanese video game version of Carlito's Way.

When I first played Y1 back on the PS2 (I think the English version came out in 2006?) I was still impressed with its depiction of Tokyo and with Kiriyu's characterization, along with the major fight scenes, but there were definitely a lot of rough edges that got ironed out in later games. Kiwami 1 is a low-budget remake of that initial rough draft.

A very measured and insightful reply. Thanks for that! I also remember playing the original PS2 Yakuza at release, and I think you are totally right.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's generally why I prefer to play games in release order instead of chronological order. Prequels are almost always weirdly executed in gaming, because the prequel will often feature refinements, mechanics, and polish that the "sequel" does not.
Except Kiwami came after 0. You should go and play PS2 Yakuza 1 first if you want that.

Oct 29, 2017
Except Kiwami came after 0. You should go and play PS2 Yakuza 1 first if you want that.
Thanks for posting this -- I saw a lot of people mentioning that Kiwami came out before 0 and that was definitely not the case, at least as far as I remember. Kiwami has always been the start of the series "remaking" history, though why Sega decided to stick so closely to the original when it came to Kiwami, especially given all the plot modifications in 0, never struck true for me.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel when the discussion of "Kiwami or 0 first?" comes up that it's basically a question of whether you should put your best foot forward or not. Everyone acknowledges that 0 is better, but the people arguing for Kiwami are usually arguing that the drop in quality of Kiwami could put people off. But if that's the case, I feel like that's even more reason to start with 0: why start with the game that, despite many improvements, feels like a prototype that doesn't really showcase what people love about the series? People are much more willing to forgive drops in quality if they've already formed attachments to the franchise. 0 is way, way better at doing that.

Oct 27, 2017
I always considered 0-1-2 to be its own trilogy, then 3-4-5 to be its own as well, with 6 being the conclusion to the entire saga.

What doesn't help the latter trilogy for people that came from the former is that these games sort of just keep adding new characters that aren't developed well and then never come back. Seriously, I can name a decent amount of characters from 0, 1, and 2, but naming ones from 3, 4, and 5 is pretty hard. Only really notable new character in the latter trilogy I always remember is Akiyama, and WHEW was he handled poorly in 6.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
It's like any series/films, always play/view in release order.
Do what you want, just recognize the weakness inherent in the order. I personally would play 1-5, 0, 6-7, like they were released. I just wouldn't play 0 first.

But Kiwami is not very good. I'd rather someone do what I did whichbisbolay 0 first and then be disappointed by Kiwami than start with Kiwami and bounce out of the series. This is why people recommend 0.

Edit: Ah, Well put chrominance

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Ah, thanks for the correction! I couldn't remember which one came out first, as I didn't buy Yakuza 0 until after I beat Kiwami, and didn't pay attention to the release dates. I was thinking in terms of game design. Kiwami is a remake of a PS2 game. I played the original Yakuza 1 (although I never beat it), back on the PS2, and with the exception of a few changes like Majima Everywhere and the combat updates, the game is very much a reskinned version of that PS2 game. It doesn't go much beyond what was available in the PS2 Yakuza (some additional quests isn't the same thing as, say adding a feature where you run multiple businesses in an attempt to take over the area. Yakuza 0 had the benefit of being designed "fresh" (ie, it was designed from the ground up and wasn't bound by having to recapture the feel of an older console's release), and has a lot more content/features than the original Yakuza, so as a result, it feels like an evolution of Kiwami, rather than a precursor. Yakuza Kiwami is a 2005 game re-released in 2016 with a fresh coat of paint. Yakuza 0 is a 2015 game released in 2015, if that makes sense.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't have the same issue, but that's because I played Yakuza 1 when it first came out on PS2 so long ago. For me, Yak 1 (Kiwami 1) has always felt like the beginning despite Yak 0 taking place before story-wise.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Is Yakuza 0 the best game then?

The one I watched a playthrough from start to finish... If I wanted to play another Yakuza it wouldn't be as good? :/

Oct 27, 2017

The one I watched a playthrough from start to finish... If I wanted to play another Yakuza it wouldn't be as good? :/

Many would say it's the best, but the other games range from good to great. I have a soft spot for 0 since it was a gift from a friend and got me into the series, but I found a lot to love in Kiwami 2, 6, and Judgment as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The many Yakuza games each have their own unique elements that will resonate with people who have differing interests.
You might dig the slow and heartfelt hours with the orphanage in Yakuza 3, the goofy twists and diverse cast of Yakuza 4, the character action gameplay and historic setting in Yakuza ishin or the culmination of the Kiryu's storyline in Yakuza 6. Does it really matter if these games are viewed in some metric as slightly less polished than Yakuza 0.

From what I've seen, who've only played Yakuza 1 and the Kiwami games usually cite Yakuza 0 as the best one, but I feel like those who've gone through the whole series often have a unique favorite title.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Many would say it's the best, but the other games range from good to great. I have a soft spot for 0 since it was a gift from a friend and got me into the series, but I found a lot to love in Kiwami 2, 6, and Judgment as well.
The many Yakuza games each have their own unique elements that will resonate with people who have differing interests.
You might dig the slow and heartfelt hours with the orphanage in Yakuza 3, the goofy twists and diverse cast of Yakuza 4, the character action gameplay and historic setting in Yakuza ishin or the culmination of the Kiryu's storyline in Yakuza 6. Does it really matter if these games are viewed in some metric as slightly less polished than Yakuza 0.

From what I've seen, who've only played Yakuza 1 and the Kiwami games usually cite Yakuza 0 as the best one, but I feel like those who've gone through the whole series often have a unique favorite title.

I appreciate the replies. I didn't mean to make it sound like there might be nothing redeeming about the other games. I understand 0 is a much newer game so of course it would be more polished, but to start off at the peak only for it to go downhill in quality overall (despite other entries having their moments and stories), is kind of hard to swallow. Especially for someone who isn't certain about investing hundreds of hours into the series and was expecting Kiwami 1 to continue the brilliance of 0.

I note your points about others who've played the whole series often put other titles over 0...but I worry about the accuracy of their recollection through older memories - not seeing the games as I would today, like the way I remembered Shenmue.

I'm thinking that maybe I should play Judgement instead (when it comes to PC) as it's fresh and a spin-off right? And then wait for Yakuza 7 with the new protagonist...

Or just get through Kiwami 1 (it'll be the first I play myself anyway), take what I can from it...move onto 2 and so forth - and hope that 6 makes its way to PC eventually to get the pay-off.

I guess I'll at least load up Kiwami 1 as I already own it, and the others aren't out for PC yet, and give it a chance. I'm not sure tbh, I expect I'll be let down from what I've seen and other peoples' comments, which might stop me from continuing.

Last edited:
OP starts Kiwami 2
OP
OP
SunBroDave

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So on the recommendation of a few posters in this thread, I decided life was too short and just watched a supercut of all Kiwami's cutscenes on YouTube. Wow, I'm glad I did because man, the story was incredibly disappointing, so I'm glad I only spent a few hours watching it compared to the 15-20 it would have taken to play through the whole thing. Also, I was pretty damn surprised how many story beats/scenarios in Kiwami were seemingly also reused in Yakuza 0, for example:
  • Takes place near Christmas time
  • Kiryu takes the fall for a crime he didn't commit, and is kicked out of the Dojima family
  • Main villain's goal is to become Tojo Clan Chairman
  • Tojo Clan infighting, with the Omi Alliance secretly pulling the strings behind the scenes
  • Kazama foreseeing everything and settings events in motion
  • Battle inside and on the grounds of Tojo HQ
  • Car chase battle
  • Battle on a boat where Kashiwagi shows up to help
  • Battle on a terrace at the top of an office building with a helipad
  • Guy who was secretly helping Kazama the whole time becomes the new Tojo Clan Chairman

dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

In any case, now that that's over with, tomorrow I am very excited to start my playthrough of Kiwami 2!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also, I was pretty damn surprised how many story beats/scenarios in Kiwami were seemingly also reused in Yakuza 0, for example:
  • Kiryu takes the fall for a crime he didn't commit, and is kicked out of the Dojima family
  • Tojo Clan infighting, with the Omi Alliance secretly pulling the strings behind the scenes
  • Car chase battle
  • Guy who was secretly helping Kazama the whole time becomes the new Tojo Clan Chairman
I've seen it said that Yakuza 0 was in some ways a light remake or homage to some of the the gameplay scenarios of the first game, now with the experience of the series under their belt. This seems relevant in why they chose to come back and remake stuff like the car chase in Y0.
Makes more sense prior to Kiwami releasing though.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man... All this talk of Y0 is making me want to do another playthrough. I just can't with makoto and her brother tho. But I love all of the characters so much. Even the Chinese assassin guy. His first intro was dope and me him look scary af.

The only thing is that kiryu's character development seems to take a backseat much like Y4 and Y5 imo. He's either MIA or he is just an errand boy for the head honchos. Y0 imo very much the "majima saga" for me. And that's a-ok with me. I miss the "lord of the night" personality... :'c

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I want to finish 0, but I'm dreading Kiwami, Can i just skip it and go to Kiwami 2?

Last edited:

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I want to finish 0, but I'm dreading Kiwami, Can i just skip it and got Kiwami 2?

I would not recommend skipping it given how often it is called back to. Plus there are some bright spots in the gameplay. I think it's worth it to at least soldier on through. Gameplay-wise, it's more of a mixed bag.

Plus it is usually dirt cheap.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I would not recommend skipping it given how often it is called back to. Plus there are some bright spots in the gameplay. I think it's worth it to at least soldier on through. Gameplay-wise, it's more of a mixed bag.

Plus it is usually dirt cheap.
Bruh, these are some long ass games to soldier through

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I said this before and will say this again : 0 is not the best way to get into Yakuza.
Yakuza games are supposed to be played in release order not chronological order.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The thing I don't like about the argument to NOT start with Y0 is I think someone starting with Kiwami is fairly likely to come away with the feeling that "enh, this series is ok I guess, I don't really get the hype", and then just drop the series. Yakuza 1 is not that great overall and by far the weakest Yakuza game. Also a fair amount of the boss fights absolutely suck, in both the original and Kiwami. I could see people getting really pissed off at them.

Unless someone has already determined that they're going to play the whole series before even starting with 1, it has a fairly high chance of turning people off imo. Better to start with 0, which is a great standalone story and shows what makes the series so compelling.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The storyline of Kiwami 1 might be the most important for understanding the rest of the games since it sets up the status quo they all build from. I also think Kiwami 1 is the most important game for understanding Yakuza 6. In many ways Yakuza 6 is a soft retread of Yakuza 1/Kiwami 1.

At the very least watch a video synopsis of 1.

Feb 5, 2018
I said this before and will say this again : 0 is not the best way to get into Yakuza.
Yakuza games are supposed to be played in release order not chronological order.
The problem is, the first 2 games have been remade after 0 and the originals are not easily accessible. You SHOULD play 0-2 if you are playing the remakes. 3-5 are getting HD trilogy, so while the drop in gameplay quality will feel jarring, its wise to just continue the story this was after 2. 6 is an oddball but a fine conclusion before 7 rolls around

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Having spent 80 hours with 0, and playing as Majima for likely 40 of those hours, then watching his introduction in Kiwami was JAAARRRRING. He's a different completely different man demeanor wise. And I don't want to hear that 20 years infused him with habits like dressing the way he does and acting the way he does in Kiwami.

That was a different character, dude. Really unnatural change. Whew. Don't understand why the devs didn't just transfer his 0 personality and character into Kiwami.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Majima is my favourite thing about 0. Kiwami gave me whiplash. I had to put it down.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The thing people never seem to mention is that
even Saejima doesn't really seem to react at all to Majima being essentially a completely different person from the one he used to know, which is odd. If his own sworn brother won't point out his transformation, then who will? Sure, you can say that Saejima already expected Majima to be a different person, after all those years spent as a yakuza (people do change to adapt to their circumstances, after all), but it's still weird that he just acts as though Majima has always been like that. It's really just another thing that highlights further how 0's iteration of Majima was never anywhere near the backstory they originally had in mind for him.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
To all those saying to always play in release order, please remember that 0 was released before Kiwami 1.
And Kiwami 1/2 build off of it and its side content heavily.

I want to finish 0, but I'm dreading Kiwami, Can i just skip it and go to Kiwami 2?
This is what all the driveby talk about 0 being the best and the other games only going downhill from there actually achieves.

It comes off as strongly negative, and you just put people off the other games, especially from Kiwami as it's the entry most targeted by this sort of comments.

Kiwami may not be as good as 0 (pretty high bar this one...) or most of the other games in the series because of its PS2 foundations and lower budget, but it's also pretty great on his own merits, and certainly not something to dread before even getting to it.

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Y1 sure got that mid-2000 let's do some crime games sprinkled in certain parts, a bit on the edgy side that they mature out of. A lot of stupid reasons got a bit more explanation in Yakuza Kiwami 1. The king of the night persona Majima has in 0 was never how he really went about things before that.
Majima going along with the idea of using all these guns to go kill the opposition with his brother, you at least are a bit immature that this is going to go well, i guess he thought he'll be with his bro when they go to jail together.
Majima used bats like a thug before 0's events.
He got reigned in by torture to behave and he got let loose at the end of that game with a dumb shirt that says fuck you and a knife

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Kiwami 2 isn´t better, especially not with the lame dragon engine combat. don´t even know why people think Kiwami 2 is great, found it to be very boring. 3 is okay because scenery change, 4 is where the bloat started, couldn´t care less about the other characters stories.

5 is just too much from everything. 6 was a nice closure and has comedy value, onomichi is a cool location but the game also suffers from the bad dragon engine combat and it misses many districs.

in short: Yakuza 0 is the best Yakuza, period. Judgment was also middling at best, as an interactive crime movie it is good, as a game not.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the replies. I didn't mean to make it sound like there might be nothing redeeming about the other games. I understand 0 is a much newer game so of course it would be more polished, but to start off at the peak only for it to go downhill in quality overall (despite other entries having their moments and stories), is kind of hard to swallow. Especially for someone who isn't certain about investing hundreds of hours into the series and was expecting Kiwami 1 to continue the brilliance of 0.

I note your points about others who've played the whole series often put other titles over 0...but I worry about the accuracy of their recollection through older memories - not seeing the games as I would today, like the way I remembered Shenmue.

I'm thinking that maybe I should play Judgement instead (when it comes to PC) as it's fresh and a spin-off right? And then wait for Yakuza 7 with the new protagonist...

Or just get through Kiwami 1 (it'll be the first I play myself anyway), take what I can from it...move onto 2 and so forth - and hope that 6 makes its way to PC eventually to get the pay-off.

I guess I'll at least load up Kiwami 1 as I already own it, and the others aren't out for PC yet, and give it a chance. I'm not sure tbh, I expect I'll be let down from what I've seen and other peoples' comments, which might stop me from continuing.

You can finish Kiwami in 10 hours soo... people shouldn't skip it because it's really really short and the story is important.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
Having spent 80 hours with 0, and playing as Majima for likely 40 of those hours, then watching his introduction in Kiwami was JAAARRRRING. He's a different completely different man demeanor wise. And I don't want to hear that 20 years infused him with habits like dressing the way he does and acting the way he does in Kiwami.

That was a different character, dude. Really unnatural change. Whew. Don't understand why the devs didn't just transfer his 0 personality and character into Kiwami.
Cause that is who Majima is for the majority of the series. 0 is the outlier.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't the question be "why is Majima like that in 0?" Since that was developed after his other appearances?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The thing I don't like about the argument to NOT start with Y0 is I think someone starting with Kiwami is fairly likely to come away with the feeling that "enh, this series is ok I guess, I don't really get the hype", and then just drop the series. Yakuza 1 is not that great overall and by far the weakest Yakuza game. Also a fair amount of the boss fights absolutely suck, in both the original and Kiwami. I could see people getting really pissed off at them.

Unless someone has already determined that they're going to play the whole series before even starting with 1, it has a fairly high chance of turning people off imo. Better to start with 0, which is a great standalone story and shows what makes the series so compelling.

Yup. If you want to try out a series, you start from the best games not the worst. It's as if someone wanted to get into Street Fighter and you told him to play SF1. The characters inconsistencies are a fault of the dev team, not of the player who started from the "wrong" game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So on the recommendation of a few posters in this thread, I decided life was too short and just watched a supercut of all Kiwami's cutscenes on YouTube. Wow, I'm glad I did because man, the story was incredibly disappointing, so I'm glad I only spent a few hours watching it compared to the 15-20 it would have taken to play through the whole thing. Also, I was pretty damn surprised how many story beats/scenarios in Kiwami were seemingly also reused in Yakuza 0, for example:
  • Car chase battle
Yeah you might not like the series if you're complaining about story reuse, most of those things happen in every game in the series. They're a tradition that Y1 started.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
To all those saying to always play in release order, please remember that 0 was released before Kiwami 1.
And Kiwami 1/2 build off of it and its side content heavily.

This is what all the driveby talk about 0 being the best and the other games only going downhill from there actually achieves.

It comes off as strongly negative, and you just put people off the other games, especially from Kiwami as it's the entry most targeted by this sort of comments.

Kiwami may not be as good as 0 (pretty high bar this one...) or most of the other games in the series because of its PS2 foundations and lower budget, but it's also pretty great on his own merits, and certainly not something to dread before even getting to it.

Yeah, I think Kiwami is pretty great. There's a reason why this series is beloved by its fans, and Yakuza 1 is still a solid game. Just that it's sequels built upon it and improved upon that formula in many ways. I preferred to play Kiwami first over 0 because I knew that 0 was going to have features and content that Kiwami wouldn't. That doesn't make Kiwami a lesser game, in my opinion. It's an older game with a new coat of paint. It's not like the Ratchet and Clank PS4 Remake, or the FFVII Remake. They wanted to preserve as much of the feel of the PS2 original as possible, for better or worse.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Literally just finished Yakuza 0 (my first Yakuza), remembered that I saw this thread title earlier in the week and sought it out and man, I'm afraid of starting Kiwami. Majima is the greatest in 0 while Kiryu felt too stoic and Majima's change in the end was too much too fast. I really want Majima to be a happy man. I might play Kiwami next year to not be let down by the tonal change.

OP
OP
SunBroDave

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So after finishing Kiwami 2, I'd probably rate the first 3 games like so:
  • Yakuza 0: 9/10 or 9.5/10
  • Yakuza Kiwami: 6/10
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2: 7.5/10

Unsure of whether I'll continue my journey through the Yakuza series, we'll have to see how I feel when the 3-5 collection comes to PC.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So after finishing Kiwami 2, I'd probably rate the first 3 games like so:
  • Yakuza 0: 9/10 or 9.5/10
  • Yakuza Kiwami: 6/10
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2: 7.5/10

Unsure of whether I'll continue my journey through the Yakuza series, we'll have to see how I feel when the 3-5 collection comes to PC.

Dooooo it when it releases. Just doooo it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kiwami is a dive in quality after 0, but I still enjoyed it enough.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just finished Yakuza 0 (my first Yakuza), remembered that I saw this thread title earlier in the week and sought it out and man, I'm afraid of starting Kiwami. Majima is the greatest in 0 while Kiryu felt too stoic and Majima's change in the end was too much too fast. I really want Majima to be a happy man. I might play Kiwami next year to not be let down by the tonal change.
You might have heard, Kiwami 2 added a new short standalone chapter with Majiama (annoyingly, it only gradually unlocks as you play through Kiryu's story)
Gameplay-wise it's nothing special, but the story does put another bow (not sure if necessary...) on his story from 0.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
You might have heard, Kiwami 2 added a new short standalone chapter with Majiama (annoyingly, it only gradually unlocks as you play through Kiryu's story)
Gameplay-wise it's nothing special, but the story does put another bow (not sure if necessary...) on his story from 0.
Neat! Guess I'll see it in a couple of years when my body is ready for more Yakuza

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Kiwami to me felt like a DLC expansion to 0 akin to the the GTA single player expansions back in the day. Not only was it shorter, but it was also inferior in every aspect. Kiwami 2, however, is pretty great. It felt more like a spiritual successor to 0, understandably.

I can't wait for the upcoming collection.