• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play this. Despite being a Sony console player, I seemed to completely miss this series. First heard about the series shortly after 6 came out and I had gone PC only, and also when i was planning a trip to Tokyo. Despite 0 being set in the 80's I can't wait to relive that unique experience that Japan has to offer. This seems like a perfectly unique game to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Skimmed through some videos, looks like the really bad heat moves are infrequent enough for me to not worry about too much.

I have no interest in watching those videos though, so I'm fine there. I do have some people on my friends list who may make some assumptions, so I may have to start a second Steam account...

Thanks for the help.

Oh, the Telephone Club side quest and related mini-game is something you probably want to avoid as well. At no point does it force you to do that content and it should be very apparent what's going on, so you wont just walk into it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait to play this. Despite being a Sony console player, I seemed to completely miss this series. First heard about the series shortly after 6 came out and I had gone PC only, and also when i was planning a trip to Tokyo. Despite 0 being set in the 80's I can't wait to relive that unique experience that Japan has to offer. This seems like a perfectly unique game to play.

Same here, I owned a PS2 for a long time but these games never crossed my path for some reason, until zero and the remasters came out.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping by to say enjoy one of the best games of this gen, PC era!

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoy it, first timers! Finished it a few weeks ago on PS4 and it's a goddamn wonderful game. Bought it again on PC to hopefully send SEGA a message.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Is this game anything like Sleeping Dogs?

It's in the OP.

But no not really, the similarities are there's an 'asian' lead character and there's hand to hand combat in both, and there's a story about crime and triads/mafia. That's about it. Aside from that, they're really different.

Sleeping Dogs - In Sleeping Dogs, the developers were influenced by Hong Kong action movies from the 80s and 90s like Hard Boiled, The Killer and Jackie Chan movies like Police Story. The game takes place in a fairly large open world of Hong Kong where you can drive around in cars and motorbikes. The game does a really good job of getting the look and feel of Hong Kong during the day and at night and there are small touches of authenticity like the Pork Bun meme, that clearly show the dev team embraced the culture. The game excelled at switching between car chases, brawler and gun battles on the fly. The story seemed like it was influenced by Infernal Affairs/The Departed, a hit movie at the time, about an undercover cop infiltrating a triad. It was an amazing game and everyone should play it.

Yakuza - I'm going to talk about the series as a whole here. In Yakuza you play as a yakuza member, Kazuma Kiryu. It's set in Kamurocho, an area based off Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku in Tokyo, the red light district. The game will usually thrust you head first into the main storyline, which consists of story cut scenes and in the older games text dialog. The story mostly centres around Yakuza mafia gangs, Tojo clan and Omi Alliance. To progress the story, you're going to have to beat up a lot of bad guys, using anything from your fists, to heat moves (special moves that are usually ridiculous and fun), to random objects lying around that you can pummel the enemy with. Once the game lets you loose, you can explore the area at your leisure, and because the area is quite small, there are always distractions in the form of NPC's to help (side stories) or mini games (bowling, pool, mahjong, karaoke, dancing etc) or eating and drinking your way through every menu in the eateries in the game. What's special about the Yakuza series is that people really enjoy the storyline, the characters, the atmosphere of Japan, the fun combat, the amount of stuff to do in each game and the humour.

Most Yakuza games, have a secondary area, and in Yakuza 0, its Sotenbori (Osaka's Dotonbori). You get plenty of time to explore the area here when you control Majima, the second playable character in Yakuza 0.

Last edited:

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is one of those rare moments where I wish I could memory wipe myself MIB style so I can go in blind again. Enjoy the PC version to whoever is getting it.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is Yakuza 0 better than Yakuza 6? I have both and I'm not sure which to start. I kinda want to start 6 so I can finish the main line story before doing a "prequel trilogy" run through Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Skimmed through some videos, looks like the really bad heat moves are infrequent enough for me to not worry about too much.

I have no interest in watching those videos though, so I'm fine there. I do have some people on my friends list who may make some assumptions, so I may have to start a second Steam account...

Thanks for the help.

You get an achievement for watching a video (aptly called "...I did it for the trophy") so as long as you don't get it you should be fine lol. It's not like you're playing Gal*Gun or stuff like that.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's easily one of the best characters in the entire series. Love the character, love the performance.

Yeah the Dojima Zero lieutenants are all fantastic, and Kuze takes the crown.
The sub was great as well "I'm going to serve your ass myself" or something like that :) loved it.

They have great actors working on those games.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this to unlock. My last Yakuza game was Y2 and that was back when it came out. It's been too long. Hope Sega releases the rest to PC as well. They got my money.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's gonna be so great experiencing this game at a 4K resolution downsampled to 1080p at a constant 60fps.
I love this game so much. It brought me into the Yakuza series. I still have to play through 4, 5, 6 and Dead Souls.
I really hope they'll localize Ishin next. Also Kenzan would be great.

Everyone needs to play through at least Yakuza 0. It's just so damn good.
You'll laugh. You may cry. Any way you will have lots of fucking fun, seriously.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
May finally play it. Had it in on PS4 for ages but wanted to play 5 first - don't need to, I know, but I've been playing since PS2 Y1 days so wanted to keep going with release order. But think I'll wait for a PS4 port of 5 and just play this in the mean time.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Do we have an unlock time yet?

t1533132000z0.png

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take it with a hefty lump of salt, but after conversion from a time I got a glimpse of in the Steam forums it looks like 16:00 CEST.
That would be perfect because that means it would unlock as soon as I get home from work tomorrow... Almost too perfect so I will take the salt as recommended, thanks.
fingers and toes are crossed. Id rather not have to wait until the evening for unlock.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I am really looking forward to playing this as I normally don't do Japanese produced games but the setting really appeals to me, I generally doesn't like anime art style. It helps having in released in a period of having no other main games to play,.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Denuvo do not hamper mod support!

I don't think it will, but we'll see !
If the game uses CRI, i will extract everything during the first hour i put my hands on the decrypted steam content and replace the erotic videos with some yakuza/classic time pieces movies (i bet they use PAM format videos) :)
I sadly don't think it uses CRI, there is no CRI logo during bootup of the PS4 version... but still perhaps it does :P

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If the game uses CRI, i will extract everything during the first hour i put my hands on the decrypted steam content and replace the erotic videos with some yakuza/classic time pieces movies (i bet they use PAM format videos) :)
I sadly don't think it uses CRI, there is no CRI logo during bootup of the PS4 version... but still perhaps it does :P

Wow that's a genius idea!

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
What would this game's absurdity level compare to something like MGS and DMC? Based on this OT I have the feeling I can expect some pretty out there things for this game.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it will, but we'll see !

I want to go to the cinema on Theatre ave and watch Lost in Translation.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Violence? Pretty toned down relatively compared to most other titles. Sexual Content? Definitely. Mainly in the form of innuendo but there ARE videos of scantily clad ladies doing awkward smexy poses.

Um, no? Most heat moves would probably end real people. In the Yakuza world they somehow manage to be perfectly fine afterwards.