• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
My play time is at around 15 hours and I'm still in chapter 3, the first time I played the game it took me 30 hours to beat it. So much content missed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The joys of Yakuza side content... there's so much of it that it can become the main game if one isn't careful. I know that's generally the case for me! Between the arcade, mahjong, slot car racing, the arena, telephone clubs, dancing, Karaoke, real estate, club management... who even has the time to finish 0s story?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The joys of Yakuza side content... there's so much of it that it can become the main game if one isn't careful. I know that's generally the case for me! Between the arcade, mahjong, slot car racing, the arena, telephone clubs, dancing, Karaoke, real estate, club management... who even has the time to finish 0s story?

So after this I'll only have to replay Kiwami 1 to do all/most substories if it's worth it, but I believe I have seen you post that the side stuff is kind of junk in that game. Am I crazy?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So after this I'll only have to replay Kiwami 1 to do all/most substories if it's worth it, but I believe I have seen you post that the side stuff is kind of junk in that game. Am I crazy?
Nah, Kiwami's side stuff isn't junk, its just not as good as 0. But there's sorta a reason for that:
Yakuza 1 had very few mini games. It really wasn't until Yakuza 3 when many of the popular ones started appearing. So when 1 was remade, they basically take 0's mini games and copy/paste them into Kiwami. Kiwami also really lacks a big "new" side content like later games get - 4 gave you unique training and activities for each character, 5 one upped that and made even more content, 0 had the club and property management. Kiwami just has Majima. Everywhere. To be fair, some mini games integrate new side stories - the slot car racing gets a fantastic new story (and Majima races), while the arcade gets a refined (aka - not rubbish) version of the cat fighting mini game which has a weird yet heartwarming message with its stories. Oh, and Majima turns up to fight you via the arcade game.

Kiwami's side stories are mainly made up of its original Yakuza 1 side stories, which for many people aren't as endearing as later games (I still like them though, they crack me up) but they add a bunch more to tie into 0 heavily (as does quite a bit of Majima's new dialogue) so all in all they are worth doing (especially for the extra boss fight).

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Kiwami's side stuff isn't junk, its just not as good as 0. But there's sorta a reason for that:
Yakuza 1 had very few mini games. It really wasn't until Yakuza 3 when many of the popular ones started appearing. So when 1 was remade, they basically take 0's mini games and copy/paste them into Kiwami. Kiwami also really lacks a big "new" side content like later games get - 4 gave you unique training and activities for each character, 5 one upped that and made even more content, 0 had the club and property management. Kiwami just has Majima. Everywhere. To be fair, some mini games integrate new side stories - the slot car racing gets a fantastic new story (and Majima races), while the arcade gets a refined (aka - not rubbish) version of the cat fighting mini game which has a weird yet heartwarming message with its stories. Oh, and Majima turns up to fight you via the arcade game.

Kiwami's side stories are mainly made up of its original Yakuza 1 side stories, which for many people aren't as endearing as later games (I still like them though, they crack me up) but they add a bunch more to tie into 0 heavily (as does quite a bit of Majima's new dialogue) so all in all they are worth doing (especially for the extra boss fight).

I was way wrong about Kiwami 1. That actually makes me look forward to replaying the game even more. Yesterday I did the Ryuji Goda sub in 0 that actually has a meaning to me now, hoping for more cool stuff like that in 0/Kiwami with all games released in NA under my belt.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was way wrong about Kiwami 1. That actually makes me look forward to replaying the game even more. Yesterday I did the Ryuji Goda sub in 0 that actually has a meaning to me now, hoping for more cool stuff like that in 0/Kiwami with all games released in NA under my belt.
The great thing about Yakuza side content is how it loves to reference previous games. Without giving much away, some side stories can span several games before they are well and truly concluded!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I've reached chapter... 6? And I think the game isn't for me. I'm starting to get annoyed by the stupid "go here then go to the other side of town then go back there", specially when there's loading screens everywhere. I just want to experience the story.
And I'm playing on a SSD, no idea how infuriating this must be to play on an Xbox.

I'll give an example. The second chapter of Majima, where you have to find the person to kill. You have to take this girl on all these dates all across town and it's a PAIN to go inside/outside the buildings. Yea the story is fun but why don't you just teleport me to the next location, why do I have to walk 5 meters to go to the shop next door and be faced with another loading screen?

it hurts my soul.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
finished the story...and Majima is really the best Character in Gaming as whole (For me)

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm still in ch7 (just had my first go at the kyabakura thing), and north of 20 hours now.

My play time is at around 15 hours and I'm still in chapter 3, the first time I played the game it took me 30 hours to beat it. So much content missed.

Heh, reminds me of when I finished Yakuza 3 in 24 hours with 12 (!) % completion.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I've reached chapter... 6? And I think the game isn't for me. I'm starting to get annoyed by the stupid "go here then go to the other side of town then go back there", specially when there's loading screens everywhere. I just want to experience the story.
And I'm playing on a SSD, no idea how infuriating this must be to play on an Xbox.

I'll give an example. The second chapter of Majima, where you have to find the person to kill. You have to take this girl on all these dates all across town and it's a PAIN to go inside/outside the buildings. Yea the story is fun but why don't you just teleport me to the next location, why do I have to walk 5 meters to go to the shop next door and be faced with another loading screen?

it hurts my soul.
It's rough sometimes. Basically you have to think of it as a previous gen game because it was released for the PS3 too so this shows heavily in the stuff you mention.

Hopefully it doesn't deter you too much as everything around it: characters, story, side stories are amazing!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's rough sometimes. Basically you have to think of it as a previous gen game because it was released for the PS3 too so this shows heavily in the stuff you mention.

Hopefully it doesn't deter you too much as everything around it: characters, story, side stories are amazing!

I honestly missed it was a PS3 game, that explains a LOT.
I do like the story, and the sidequests are fun, but I find myself more and more tempted to just spam A unless it's an important thing.
We'll see if the next chapters do something that really grabs me.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I saw the ending of Ch8 coming from a mile away (well, part of it, at least), and it still made me say, "holy shit!" :o

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Aww yeah.

27aa0c9c-6ea3-40b0-a510-6252bc8213cb.PNG

Now to push into the Electronics King's turf.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Something to look forward to! I just finished Ch9, which was also amazing!

Also, how addictive is Real Estate Royale?! I'm up to 75% in my first area now, after beating the leisure king at karaoke to take 10% of his share :D

Wait until you get to the cabaret club minigame. It's ten times more addictive, and the storyline is simply hilarious.

Edit: wait, chapter 9? You should've found it already. Why are you neglecting your club?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Wait until you get to the cabaret club minigame. It's ten times more addictive, and the storyline is simply hilarious.

I've done a bit of that, but I got a bit too hooked on the story and ended up back in a Kiryu chapter. Looking forward to getting deeper into that after Ch10.

I've bought a few EK properties now, and am focusing on getting all my LK ones to S rank. Five are S so far, three As and one B.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is there anything more awesome than the breakdance style? Because the finishers you unlock for that style just never get old. Right out of cheesy 80s films, but with more panache.

I'm in chapter 11 and constantly sucked into Cabaret Club instead of progressing. I see nothing wrong with this.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea I had to do dancing with Majima so I was like holy shit please god no when I got those quests. First attempt I lost by 200 points, second attempt I lost by 10 freaking points and finally got her on the third try. Is there any other hard subs left?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything more awesome than the breakdance style? Because the finishers you unlock for that style just never get old. Right out of cheesy 80s films, but with more panache.

I'm in chapter 11 and constantly sucked into Cabaret Club instead of progressing. I see nothing wrong with this.
Have you got the heat finisher that lets you grab a sword with your teeth? Its hilarious, I love it!

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I was always intrigued by Yakuza so I jumped right into Yakuza 0 when it came out on Game Pass, beat it a few days ago and it's easily in my top 5 ever. Not long after starting I took advantage of the Steam sale on the bundle of 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2 so I'm now playing Kiwami 1 and it's more good stuff. At this point I'm looking ahead and getting worried about how long it'll be until I can play Yakuza 3... Oh well, luckily I somewhat rushed through 0 so once I beat Kiwami 2 I can just go back to 0 and do every single substory/minigame without getting hooked into the story.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I was always intrigued by Yakuza so I jumped right into Yakuza 0 when it came out on Game Pass, beat it a few days ago and it's easily in my top 5 ever. Not long after starting I took advantage of the Steam sale on the bundle of 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2 so I'm now playing Kiwami 1 and it's more good stuff. At this point I'm looking ahead and getting worried about how long it'll be until I can play Yakuza 3... Oh well, luckily I somewhat rushed through 0 so once I beat Kiwami 2 I can just go back to 0 and do every single substory/minigame without getting hooked into the story.

Don't skip the substories, I made the same mistake of skipping a bunch of stuff when I first got into the series.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Don't skip the substories, I made the same mistake of skipping a bunch of stuff when I first got into the series.
I actually did pretty much every substory I ran into, I just still ended up with a pretty low completion percentage. By "rushing through" the game I mean more like I could tell early on it was a game I would be replaying multiple times, so I wasn't too worried about getting absolutely everything in my first playthrough haha. But yeah some of the substories are excellent, like top-notch RPG level of quality writing and some of the best humor in any game I've played

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually did pretty much every substory I ran into, I just still ended up with a pretty low completion percentage. By "rushing through" the game I mean more like I could tell early on it was a game I would be replaying multiple times, so I wasn't too worried about getting absolutely everything in my first playthrough haha. But yeah some of the substories are excellent, like top-notch RPG level of quality writing and some of the best humor in any game I've played
I mentioned it on a previous page, but don't let that completion percentage influence you too much. A sizeable chunk of the completion list is taken up with the food/drink menu and eating/drinking them all. There's something like 200-500 items per game depending on the sequel, so you can easily jump the completion percentage up just by going round each place and eating a bunch of stuff. The main game, side stories and even mini games make up a small-ish chunk of the completion list, then you have silly stuff like number of NPC's spoken to, steps taken, enemies defeated in certain styles, number of different heat moves used etc.

The meat of the game is just in the main game and side stories, as once you clear all available side stories (in almost all the games) you unlock a final one which is a gloriously cheesy secret boss or two. So its well worth doing them all if you can. Or if your mad like me, just do absolutely everything, and realise that Mahjong and Koi Koi are in fact amazing once you learn the rules to them!

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I mentioned it on a previous page, but don't let that completion percentage influence you too much. A sizeable chunk of the completion list is taken up with the food/drink menu and eating/drinking them all. There's something like 200-500 items per game depending on the sequel, so you can easily jump the completion percentage up just by going round each place and eating a bunch of stuff. The main game, side stories and even mini games make up a small-ish chunk of the completion list, then you have silly stuff like number of NPC's spoken to, steps taken, enemies defeated in certain styles, number of different heat moves used etc.
Ahh, makes sense, I barely ate/drink at restaurants/bars so that probably explains a lot of it. Good to know.

Or if your mad like me, just do absolutely everything, and realise that Mahjong and Koi Koi are in fact amazing once you learn the rules to them!
This is exactly my plan when I go back to it while waiting for Yakuza 3/the Remastered Collection to come out on PC :)

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
99/99 for the Business competition list. Really enjoyed both quest lines, both their story and the gameplay. The reward you get at the end of each is really fun to play with.

Now to go gamble.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm at the point where I'm going to need lots of CP. I wonder if it might be better to try and reach bottomless stomach instead of spending 20 points on my next battle upgrade. I want the limit break.. damn that's going to be hard.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, makes sense, I barely ate/drink at restaurants/bars so that probably explains a lot of it. Good to know.

This is exactly my plan when I go back to it while waiting for Yakuza 3/the Remastered Collection to come out on PC :)
You'll certainly have plenty to do while you wait! The gambling mini games were the last thing I managed to master. I've still not technically managed Shogi, bur rather just find the way to cheese it in each release, but its been a fun ride over the best part of a decade learning all the mini games and the misc things that make up a 100% run on Yakuza!

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

Dude why use any other style with Majima?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I did some fishing the other day and caught a large marlin. I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it.

Now I know :)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As somebody who's experienced and constantly studying American history and culture and it's influences and it's immense impact it's had globally, it's always fascinating how culture is constantly created and cross pollinating each other. Seeing an American dance form (in particular, an African American dance form from the 70's) that has some influence from the late 60's to 70's Hong Kong Kung Fu films being used in a Japanese 80's period piece video game as it's own martial arts just makes me smile especially given the 20th century history between Japan and China.

The only thing that still takes me out of the time period is the English translation using American expressions being used that weren't popularized in the Mainstream till the mid 90's like the phrase" It's All Good."

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that still takes me out of the time period is the English translation using American expressions being used that weren't popularized in the Mainstream till the mid 90's like the phrase" It's All Good."
As good as the localisation is (especially compared to earlier Yakuza games from the last two gens), I gotta agree, 0 has quite a few phrases that don't sound like they come from the 80s at all.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As good as the localisation is (especially compared to earlier Yakuza games from the last two gens), I gotta agree, 0 has quite a few phrases that don't sound like they come from the 80s at all.
Especially when there's so many reference sources that could've been used for American expressions in TV, Movies, and music around the late 80's.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I have fallen down *such* a rabbit hole today that real estate royale has become the game.

Got all my Leisure properties up to S class, and up to six properties in Electronics, which I've also been investing in. Currently making over 70,000,000Y every six minutes.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 20 hours into the game in my first time playing this game and I just have to drop at least one comment here just adding to the praise it is rightfully getting and has gotten since releasing. Aside from being mildly annoyed at how the game forces you to stop playing as Goro/Kiriyu for a couple of chapters just as something interesting happened and it having a few too many consecutive cutscenes/chatter scenes in general I can't really fault it. Even the combat as something I thought would be something I'd never enjoy has really won me over.

Got to see how the final few chapters go of course but I'm pretty confident in saying that this is the best story driven game I've played recently. But maybe that's slightly exaggerated by the fact that I'm playing it alongside Death Stranding which has a story that goes in completely the opposite direction in being really bad and nonsensical but I digress.

At this point it's looking like a 10/10 for me.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Pleasure King bows to my dominance >:)

Carrying around about 4 billion yen, and making ~200mil every few minutes :D

Kicked the story on a little bit:
'visited' Tojo Clan HQ, and just getting Kiryu ready to head to Osaka :o

Does this have cloud saves between Xbox and Windows?

Unfortunately not, no.

Oct 28, 2017
I have fallen down *such* a rabbit hole today that real estate royale has become the game.

Got all my Leisure properties up to S class, and up to six properties in Electronics, which I've also been investing in. Currently making over 70,000,000Y every six minutes.
I did the same, and got all of the first sector properties up to S class in Ch 6, and then 100% the first part of Majimas business in Ch 8.

74 hours played so far, lol.