• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spartan117-TR

Feb 26, 2019
This game is the remastered version of first Yakuza game right? Will second game come out on Xbox aswell and 3-4 etc?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you can survive the initial barrage of cutscenes and tutorials, you'll find an amazing game. Give it some time.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
hell of a week to turn off Instant On on my xbone. i should be installing this while im at work!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I assume, just like there being no Xbox One X enhancements, it would take more work for them to do. It is 1080/60 on PS4/Pro and the windows version is just the PC version. I assume it was them having a tight budget to get this done so they ported what they already had. Not really surprising to me.

Who is claiming there are no enhancements on X1X? I just started, but that opening scene looked really close to 4k to me. The scenes afterwards seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag though. The still scenes seemed 1080p, but in-game looks really clean (16X anisotropic filtering?), and potentially 1440p? Some edges looked quite smooth, while other a bit jaggier.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Who is claiming there are no enhancements on X1X? I just started, but that opening scene looked really close to 4k to me. The scenes afterwards seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag though. The still scenes seemed 1080p, but in-game looks really clean (16X anisotropic filtering?), and potentially 1440p? Some edges looked quite smooth, while other a bit jaggier.
Someone in the thread said it was just 1080p on X. I guess I should wait for confirmation of course. My bad, I will fix that right up to clarify my assumption without that claim.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
This game is the remastered version of first Yakuza game right? Will second game come out on Xbox aswell and 3-4 etc?
As said above this is a prequel to the whole series, but don't let that deter you. This game serves as the best starting point in the series, even more so than Yakuza Kiwami (the remake to Yakuza 1).

It's unclear about games after 2, but I belive Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 have been confirmed for Xbox One.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Just post some PNG screen and somebody will pixel count. But 30 fps cutscenes is not a good sigh.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm impressed this is out in Japan. I know that's seems obvious, but Sega has numerous ports for Xbox One that never released in Japan.

So it seems like things are getting series about pushing stuff in Japan as I saw JPN Xbox accounts really happy about the release (They exist lol)

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Just post some PNG screen and somebody will pixel count. But 30 fps cutscenes is not a good sigh.

The Opening cutscene is 60fps, as are all in-game cutscenes i've seen so far, as far as I can tell. In-game, at least in the opening, was a perfect 60fps. I will snap some screenshots when Inget a chance, but not sure how soon I'll be able to upload.

It feels so damn good to finally have this on Xbox. I hope Xbox catches up, and we can see a closer release schedule at some point.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
The Opening cutscene is 60fps, as are all in-game cutscenes i've seen so far, as far as I can tell. In-game, at least in the opening, was a perfect 60fps. I will snap some screenshots when Inget a chance, but not sure how soon I'll be able to upload.

It feels so damn good to finally have this on Xbox. I hope Xbox catches up, and we can see a closer release schedule at some point.
Hmm, this user says otherwise https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...gozaimashita-spencer-san.171857/post-29400437

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

Here are a couple screenshots I took of the opening gameplay. I'll try to snap a screen and video of the opening scene.

LdaNTRF.jpg

Q2aUd4a.jpg

WmvhImm.jpg

Updates on Framerate:
- In-Game the game seems like a rock-solid 60fps so far
- In-game cinematic moments / story scenes, such as the opening area where you are walking down the screen talking are 60fps
- Main Story cinematics do seem to be 30fps, although there are moments when seems to appear 60fps (perhaps it's duplicating frames, similar to how 120hz TVs duplicate frames? or perhaps at certain angles, or due to minimal motion it's just harder to perceive the 30fps)

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I got dropped in the middle of the story with Yakuza 3 years ago, never finished it.

0 is the real beginning of everything, right?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm impressed this is out in Japan. I know that's seems obvious, but Sega has numerous ports for Xbox One that never released in Japan.

So it seems like things are getting series about pushing stuff in Japan as I saw JPN Xbox accounts really happy about the release (They exist lol)

It's on Game Pass and Spencer has said they need much better content to finally launch Game Pass over in Japan. It's not surprising this game releases there, too. I do agree that Xbox Japan needs to do better with more consistent releases though. Also, there's Japanese dub in the Yakuza games anyway, right?

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I've played the game on PS4 until my console died and my progress was lost. I only played an hour on the X so far but the game seems really clean for 1080p. If it is indeed 1080p...

The image looks better than I remember on PS4. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. There are almost no jaggies, very little shimmering.

The game runs at perfect 60 fps during gameplay.

I'm happy with the port.

I can't count pixels but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual resolution is higher than 1080p.

As a reminder: Not all games that are X Enhanced appear as such on the Xbox Store. One recent example is Darksiders Genesis. I don't know if they added the enhancements on the store page but until release the store page didn't mention any of the enhancements like the native 4k resolution at all.

I'm going to buy Y0 on Xbox. Sega deserves my money. The port is great and they're only asking for 20 €. Unlike Squenix with Kingdom Hearts.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I got dropped in the middle of the story with Yakuza 3 years ago, never finished it.

0 is the real beginning of everything, right?
It's chronologically the first game and you don't need knowledge of the later games to play it. There are flashbacks to even earlier events in later Yakuza games though so it depends on what you mean with "the real beginning of everything". It's widely accepted as a good starting point for someone getting into the series if that is what you are worried about.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
It's a shame there's no cross-save. With it apparently being non-enhanced on One X (I've installed it but haven't had a chance to load it up yet!) I would prefer to play it on PC, but then I'd be missing out on the ability to play it on the One S in the front room when I get the chance (I flat share, so my One X is my in my room).

Ian UK

Jul 3, 2018
My guess is 1080p with a really thick dose of Post Process AA which covers the UI also (the text is fuzzy).
It does look very smooth, but there is still a bit of shimmering
I had this problem with the PC version (fuzzy text) however there is a mod to update the resolution of the text. Might be the same issue here with the font being a lower resolution than the rest of the UI.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather play this game 1080/60fps than 4K/30fps

Will get it when I get home later on tonight
On X, this could easily be a 4k/60 if the devs put in the time. I know because I played the game entirely through like that on my rx580 on PC.

It's still a great game, whatever the final pixel count ended up being, I wouldn't be too mad.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly makes me so happy hearing people excited to start their first Yakuza game. That was me a few years ago basically going in blind and here I am playing Yakuza 5 today after beating all the previous games.

A heads up - the game starts slow and is mostly linear (slow isn't "bad" to be clear) and it's probably different than the Yakuza game you might have been expecting. After a few or so chapters the game opens up allowing much greater freedom and access to substories. I've heard of people dropping the game before this point happens, but the opening isn't indicative of what 95% of the game is actually like.

Also, just take your time. Explore the city. Sing karaoke. Get lost in cabaret and real estate games. There's substories around every corner and telephone cards (hah, when i found out what these were actually for...) to be found.

And to reiterate - Yakuza 0 is the game to start with. Enjoy!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Played a couple hours last night. While the performance was super disappointing on the X, I loved the vibe. Game is the most Sega game I've played since the OG Xbox. Classic Sega vibes bring back all sorts of great feelings.

I should probably move over to PC. I just like playing these types of games on consoles but the disparity in frame rate is too much.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so fucking good. I never paid much attention to the series prior to 0 and I went through the entire series since then. I'm playing Y3 on ps4 atm because I just blasted through the story in that one and skipped all of the substories when I played it on ps3. Once I'm done with that I'm going to revisit Y0 because I did the same thing back when I played it. Don't skip the substories!

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Because i have a switch and an xbox, i kept getting X and Y mixed up and did terrible in the karaoke. I hope that's not just me, lol.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's chronologically the first game and you don't need knowledge of the later games to play it. There are flashbacks to even earlier events in later Yakuza games though so it depends on what you mean with "the real beginning of everything". It's widely accepted as a good starting point for someone getting into the series if that is what you are worried about.

Chronologically, yes that's what I meant. That's good to know and exactly what I wanted. I want to see the beginning of the protagonist. :)

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ok, I just finished Chapter 1, after 3 hours in.

Even though Kuze is clearly an asshole, I feel like maybe, just maybe, he isn't the main bad guy. I don't know why I get this feeling though. The plot is well made and it's cast are so colourful and full of nuances.

Playing on hard and it feels like a Normal difficulty, lost to Kuze once because I wasn't using Rush Style , but it felt fair.

Now, question time: when does the game opens up? In Chapter 1, after you go out with Nishikiyama, you can pretty much explore the District, but it didn't feel natural to do it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ok, I just finished Chapter 1, after 3 hours in.

Even though Kuze is clearly an asshole, I feel like maybe, just maybe, he isn't the main bad guy. I don't know why I get this feeling though. The plot is well made and it's cast are so colourful and full of nuances.

Playing on hard and it feels like a Normal difficulty, lost to Kuze once because I wasn't using Rush Style , but it felt fair.

Now, question time: when does the game opens up? In Chapter 1, after you go out with Nishikiyama, you can pretty much explore the District, but it didn't feel natural to do it.

It opens up a lot more in Chapter 2, after the first few story beats.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
From what I'm reading so far, it seems to be just like the PS4 version for the Xbox one x. If it was enhanced, i'd assume the cutscenes would've been 60fps like The PC verison. Still great for xbox owners to experience this greatness though. I have it downloaded to my xbox today so going to check it out.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Any Pixel counters in-house? here are a few 4k Images from my Xbox One X.

There's no way this is 1080p? seems like it could be somewhere between 1440p and 4k, depending in the scene? The gameplay sections do have some jaggies, but Kazuma has very few jaggies. I'm curious if he is rendering at a higher resolution, or at least has some special AA solution that the backgrounds don't?

FwjF2Hp.jpg

XM84XbW.jpeg

URY7VGF.jpg

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's a shame there's no cross-save. With it apparently being non-enhanced on One X (I've installed it but haven't had a chance to load it up yet!) I would prefer to play it on PC, but then I'd be missing out on the ability to play it on the One S in the front room when I get the chance (I flat share, so my One X is my in my room).
This. I assumed it wouldn't happen, but would've been a nice touch. I'll probably end up going through it again on PC for the cheevos.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Kazuma meets two drunkards. They need some sobering up, so what do we do? We smash the living shit out of them, they truly get their faces and bellies hurt badly.....and after the fight they look like nothing even happened. No scratches, no cuts, no blood, nothing. Yakuza logic, I guess. :)

But I love it though.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I heard the game mentioned often and downloaded it today to see what it was about. I'm pleasantly surprised, I put an hour in and enjoying it. It's different than most games I play, it's got a charm to it. I'm hoping to put in some more time.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Kazuma meets two drunkards. They need some sobering up, so what do we do? We smash the living shit out of them, they truly get their faces and bellies hurt badly.....and after the fight they look like nothing even happened. No scratches, no cuts, no blood, nothing. Yakuza logic, I guess. :)

But I love it though.

Some day Yakuza -1 will come out and we'll see the moment that a super soldier serum got dumped into the water in Kamurocho. It's the only way to explain how random passers by will cheer on brutal impromptu street death matches where people are beaten with bats and stabbed repeatedly.