• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
The Messenger just released and already filled the old-school Ninja Gaiden hole there was. This doesn't feel unique at all.
what a stupid thing to say.
Unlike Messenger, this looks like a more regular platforming game with a great artstyle. I found the Messenger to be a bit dull and the metroidvania level design not that good.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Cyber Shadow looks incredible.

bTo1URB.png

oSe1Ozo.png
holy fuck I need this

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this looks like it will fill the new-school The Messenger hole that exists right now

Fair enough, but after having spent 20 hours or so completing The Messenger I'm really not interested in playing a game that looks so similar. Unless there's a twist I doubt I'd be as in as I hoped.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, definitely looks like that teaser image is from Cyber Shadow (which looks cool af)

rqD6aGn.gif

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This looks great, can't wait.

Also is it weird that when any prominent indie dev that announces a new game, I start wondering: "When is the announcement that Epic paid for exclusivity?"

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking forward to this game for years, so now I'm really hoping it's this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's Cyber Shadow. I got confused, thought SK themselves were making this game.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Man, I just marathoned Contra 1 - Shattered Soldier and I'm getting super hard Contra/Ninja Gaiden vibes. I'd of liked to feel more Shinobi but damn I'm not gonna complain!
And since it's a diff dev maybe there's a chance it'll be more challenging than SK.

I wonder if it's Cyber Shadow, then.

On the bottom vid here, the robot on the billboard even looks like one of the "Probotector" robots!

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully since Yacht Club is publishing, they release it on everything just like Shovel Knight.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just marathoned Contra 1 - Shattered Soldier and I'm getting super hard Contra/Ninja Gaiden vibes. I'd of liked to feel more Shinobi but damn I'm not gonna complain!
And since it's a diff dev maybe there's a chance it'll be more challenging than SK.

Shovel Knight is intentionally pretty much as easy or as hard as you want it to be. They just built in a ton of optional crutches in the upgrades/gear. Mega man 11 also did this.

If you want a Ninja Gaiden-like that's hard off the bat give Oniken a try. Their other games Odallus (Castlevania-like) is also good and Blazing Chrome (basically Conitra) looks very promising

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
They're publishing? Nice! That means they're making money, we get this probably-cool game, & there's still hope they're making a Paper Mario-like game (Or whatever else; they weren't married to whatever genre won that survey, I just really want more Paper Mario).

Nov 23, 2017
The Messenger just released and already filled the old-school Ninja Gaiden hole there was. This doesn't feel unique at all.
This is like saying Nioh just released and already filled the 3d samurai action game hole, so Sekiro or Ghosts of Tsushima look generic? When an aesthetic theme or style or genre falls out of fashion and returns you always see like, a cluster of those games pop up at the same time, it's true for anything (Prey, Deus Ex, SS3 for example

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Looks miles better than The Messenger was. That was a major disappointment for me as a Ninja Gaiden fan.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
So, pretty much the last DLC for SK ?

Yep. That campaign and the Smash-like Showdown game are the last pieces of what was promised in the original Kickstarter. They were supposed to come out next month but were delayed for some more polishing. No specific release date now, but the delay is supposed to be "several months at most."

Oct 31, 2017
Yep. That campaign and the Smash-like Showdown game are the last pieces of what was promised in the original Kickstarter. They were supposed to come out next month but were delayed for some more polishing. No specific release date now, but the delay is supposed to be "several months at most."

I didn't know Showdown was part of the Kickstarter too... Will it be a free donwload like the previous DLC then ?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Fair enough, but after having spent 20 hours or so completing The Messenger I'm really not interested in playing a game that looks so similar. Unless there's a twist I doubt I'd be as in as I hoped.
They don't look similar at all other than being 2D and having ninjas. It won't to particularly hard to be a better action game than The Messenger anyway.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Honestly, I find the NES look of 'Cyber Shadow' much more compelling that the 16 bits looks of a great part of 'The Messenger'.

NES graphics will be always more compelling for me than SNES graphics.

Plus it's not a matter of games supplanting other games.

Because we had 'Dragon Quest', can't we also have 'Final Fantasy' in the 80s?

Does 'Super Mario Bros' denies the existence of the first 'Sonic the Hedgehog'?

In the market there is enough space for good designed games to coexist, covering the same genres.

I never understood the mentality of video game forums, of using a game to deny the existence of other games.

We have 'Devil May Cry' and we have 'Bayonetta', and that is great.