• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Y gives them plausible deniability lol but that is kinda my point, worst come to worst we could get a very special episode like that part of the comic making fun of the trolls

That and the fact that it's explicitly every mammal with a Y chromosome, not just humans, that dies

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
judging from the trailer there seems to be a heavier emphasis on Yorick's mom than what the comics did? or has it been that long since i've read them. i honestly don't remember much from that story line

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know anything about the comic and the trailer looked like generic post-apocalyptic fare. However, I know people speak highly of the graphic novel and the concept itself sounds interesting. I'll see how it reviews and then maybe check it out.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read the first couple volumes of the comic. Seemed pretty fun so I'll try this out.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the casting looks spot on. Man, I still remember like a decade ago when Shia LaBeouf was rumored to play Yorick.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite graphic novels. It's been forever since I read it, but I'm glad to finally see this adaptation. I do remember Yorick being pretty funny.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My God I can't believe it's finally happening. Y: The Last Man is my favorite series ever. The final issue was so heart wrenching I can't bring myself to ever read it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly dont remember much about this comic besides a character getting headshotted, the ending and what Yorrick's sister ends up doing with this girl or whatever so I'll be happy to watch it. It's practically a fresh story to me. Whatever the case I hope the TV show is a lot different than the comic so both can stand on their own

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Preacher was my favourite comic and it was insanely butchered, it was so bad I dropped it and regret any time spent on watching that shit.

Y is my second favourite comic. I hope this will be good. :3 The trailer looks promising, but can obviously be misleading. Agent 355 looks really badass, at least. <3

Been a while but I don't remember the setting so post apocalptic, didn't they manage to keep things somewhat going on?
It's been a while too, but things did go nuts for a while, there were even roaming gangs etc.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
So we have Y: The Last Man with Paper Girls on the way. How long until someone delivers the three olympic pool's worth of money to Brian K Vaughan to get him to change his mind on adapting Saga?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The tone feels a little off to me, maybe just the budget translation to live action or just a meh trailer idk.but still super excited to watch it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I tried reading this but mentally checked out when I got to the women who were chopping their breasts off. Which admittedly wasn't that far in.
You fucked up cause Y the last man is incredible.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I also think they should have started the trailer out with statistics about how much of the world is devastated when everything with a Y chromosome dies. That sets the stage more than watching a bunch of people bleeding out of their noses.

Also, I Didn't realize Diane Lane was in this show. She's dope.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Was it my imagination or there was a leak or something saying that Ampersand wasn't going to be a monkey in this adaptation, but another species of animal?

Anyhow, glad to see that everything looks very faithful. Although the comic has plenty of areas that can be updated and expanded for the better.

May 24, 2019
It's ridiculous that they have to say Graphic Novel to give these things weight.
It was a sixty issue comic. It fits on ten regular collections or five omnibuses. There's no singular "Novel"

Edit: Actually there is a 1000+ page complete edition, but why not call it a series or add a plural? I'm sure DC is gonna sell a lot more regular collections off of the show than the giant tome.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Saga seems way too difficult to adapt live action, maybe animated.
Fables too. They're great comics, but a live adaptation seems risky with a big chance of being flops IMO. Some comics are just not good candidates for live action. Maybe they're just too "out there" and maybe it would take a ridiculously high budget to even start to do them justice.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
There's probably going to be some creative alterations like there always is. I wouldn't expect an exact adaptation.
There were scenes and even seasons of The Walking Dead where I thought it was a crappy adaptation. It was fine in the comic but it did not work on screen.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The main trio looked pretty well cast, especially 355, so... so far so good!

I'm kinda wondering why so much emphasis on POTUS though, it's only a little part of the story.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I knew it was awhile since I read the comics, but they started in 2002. Dang. It's been almost 20 years?

Oct 29, 2017
Fables is like mega long isn't it? That would be quite the commitment. I remember reading lot of it and I wasn't even close to finishing.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
judging from the trailer there seems to be a heavier emphasis on Yorick's mom than what the comics did? or has it been that long since i've read them. i honestly don't remember much from that story line

No you're right, she's barely in the comic. Has a couple of scenes early on but that's it. The show might be changing up things a bit. That or all of her scenes will come early in the season.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can't watch right now but I take it it looks good?
Been waiting for this for a loong time

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty good. I assume this is on Disney+ here in Europe, but they're blocking the trailer here and no official news has been released...so fingers crossed.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
A movie budget would be beneficial, but an expansive story like that would benefit from TV.
Yeah that's true, and I definitely agree in a perfect world it would be a high production value TV series.

Saying this though, we have had Carnival Row from Amazon and Mandalorian from Disney, so the budget and effects necessary to pull it off have been put into streaming shows already. It's mostly just a case of ensuring that it doesn't go to Netflix since they'll 100% cheap the fuck out on it. I could see Amazon attempting it as a prestige piece down the line, especially if Paper Girls is successful considering that's almost as difficult to pull off in live action.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I have very low expectations regarding this project, but I would be glad if they changed the ending. I didn't like where certain aspects of the comic ended up.

Maybe this could be better, worse or just different in that respect.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Hard to tell from the trailer, with the POTUS focus and lack of lighter elements. The show should be carried by the core of Yorick, 355 and Allison

Also I dunno if Amber's taking the right approach to selling the show lol

What's the "hook"?

Is this just Tlou but without clickers?
The hook is that everything with a Y chromosome died and it's about discovering why it happened and how to stop it. It also predates TLoU by a good decade.

Stuff like The Walking Dead and The Last of Us (generally) don't deal as much with the why or the solution to a global crisis, along with the character work this IP has a very definitive answer/end to the mysteries, rather than just a perpetual survival dystopia.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
What's the "hook"?

Is this just Tlou but without clickers?

every organism on earth with a y chromosome has died mysteriously and the last human man with a y chromosome wants to meet up with his girlfriend.

also he has a pet monkey named ampersand who also has a y chromosome and also survived.