• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Pretty stoked for this, the demo was fun and the background lore snippets I got during load screens hinted at a pretty major scope.

Game's steeped in last gen design sensibilities (like press "interact" on ledges to climb, for example instead of a jump button), and it gave me a very Witcher 2 feel (though the combat is a lot better). But that's fine, I'm ready for a good wise-linear RPG in a unique setting.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Looks cool, man The Chinese games are finally coming through huh? Super stoked to see what they will come up with.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I feel like one of these is coming every year? Or are there just multiple IPs that sound similiar in name?

Or was that like Yakuza and the west catching up?

Oct 25, 2017
How is this franchise? I made a thread asking about it and it got 0 replies lol.

Like all the trailers i've seen for this game look fucking sick. I'm surprised I never here anyone talk about this franchise.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"Are you seeking for revenge?" and other similar lines suggest the localization won't be great which is my biggest issue with a lot of Chinese games. They look real fun and are often very pretty but I can't get past the stilted dialogue most of the time. Games like Genshin are pretty solid on that front though, guess it's a budgetary thing.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Looks cool, man The Chinese games are finally coming through huh? Super stoked to see what they will come up with.
Same here!

A know some Chinese friends through WeChat (among other places of contact) and they're pretty excited too; I think that Chinese and other Asian video games (Vietnamese, Thai, etc.) will also come into their own, so to speak. And sooner than many of us realize. Give it five years, I say. You'll see. There will be a big difference between 2020 and 2025, especially now that everything is changing at a much more faster rate when it comes to video games.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Same here!

A know some Chinese friends through WeChat (among other places of contact) and they're pretty excited too; I think that Chinese and other Asian video games (Vietnamese, Thai, etc.) will also come into their own, so to speak. And sooner than many of us realize. Give it five years, I say. You'll see. There will be a big difference between 2020 and 2025, especially now that everything is changing at a much more faster rate when it comes to video games.
Yea. Its great news that many are getting localized. The western market will finally got to play so many great games that they missed out.

impressions
Oct 28, 2017
Three hours in and it's pretty good but nothing I'd call excellent.

Gotta get the first out of the way though... so far bug free despite purchasing on release. I'm kinda sad that this needs to be said at all but overall it runs smooth and plays really well with a controller and it has no revolutionary graphics but it looks quite good and definitely feels at least AA quality, more Greedfall than Witcher for example.

The UI feels very similar to Witcher 3 of all things (I think the font is the same) and similarly with the floating head white text but it's clean and readible.

The actual game structure so far seems VERY linear, which isn't in and of itself a bad thing but this isn't a sprawling open world RPG. It honestly is the closest to a typical follow-the-plot FF style linear RPG I've played in a long, long while. The environments are essentially just corridors with some notches to them with occasional treasure chests, there's also some white-chalk labeled rockclimbing that seems to pop up in every single one of these 3d games.

The story seems interesting so far but seems slow. The MC and his sister have good chemistry and it feels suitibly small scale at the beginning with a good plot hook. It does have long dialogue sequences that you can't really fast forward through; there's a skip button that skips the ENTIRE dialogue but no "advance to the next text box" option that most of these games have. Everything's fully voiced so far though. It's interesting but it's not revolutionary or anything like that, alot of standing shot/counter shot style scenes with a few pieces of panache mixed in. The MC kinda seems boring so far but unoffensive.

Combat so far seems pretty weak though. It's very spammy and everything is tied to a stamina like bar but even straight out of the gate you get a lot of combat options though it seems to more or less encourage you to use everything off cooldown. There's also an interesting pokemon-like mechanic where if you weaken and enemy you can try to capture it for extra rewards with your magic macguffin; the game does a really poor job of explaining this and I didn't even notice until I randomly saw it occur spontaneously in gameplay. Game desperately needs a button to tell your AI companions to just back off though cause they'll kill the people you're trying to capture. Battle is a pretty simplistic hack/slash style game w/ a stamina bar nothing as complex as Souls-games again probably about as complicated as something like Greedfall. You can swap between different stances that all just seems to change your Heavy attack while your Light attack remains default. No combo system or anything like that, optimal strategy just seems to be recharge stamina, spam heavy, use your magic abilities off cooldown.

Not much in terms of customization though. Leveling up is JRPG style with just raw stats, there's equipment but the numbers are very small so it doesn't really feel that impactful. There's apparently an item mixing system but so far it seems awfully random. 3 hours in and although the game tells me there are side quests the only side-quests I've seen are tied to one minigame, I presume the game may open up a bit more though on the other hand I haven't had to do any fetch 3 goblin skin quests so it's not too bad.

Overall I'm mostly playing to see where the story goes and the novelty of a big budget Taiwanese developed game.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Played about ~4.5 hours so far got past the first major dungeon and fought the first 2 bosses, and the main thing that stands out to me is that I really enjoy the characterization so far. The dynamic between the sister wanting to not feel like a burden and the doting brother steamrolling her at every turn is really well conveyed by the voice actors even with a somewhat stiff translation.

The translation overall seems to be pretty decent and definitely a step above other Chinese language games I have played. If you played Gujian 3 I would say it's a touch higher quality than that, but still far from perfect as there are a quite a few silly mistakes and typos, and some of the short dialog choices can be unintentionally laughably bad in how indirect they are. Overall it gets the job done as I'm never confused about what the characters are saying and the characterization and tone still comes through. The game definitely feels human translated it just needed another proofreading pass.

I have to agree the combat is just so-so, and while the equipment so far doesn't seem too impactful some of the recipes I have unlocked seem like they could have a big impact on playstyle later on. The best analog I can think of is Witcher 3 but even less refined, and since that was already the weak point for that game it's definitely not a huge strength here.

While the graphics are technically decent and ray tracing can make the game look really nice in spots the overall package does not feel as good as Gujian 3 due to more grounded environments and worse character models, but I feel it might have some cooler set pieces later so I will withhold judgement for now.

I would say it feels like a hybrid of Uncharted mixed with a linear FF game in structure. It has lots of set piece puzzles throughout the game that remind me of Uncharted, and while you can visit old sections of the map at any time the game pretty much always presses forward through new environments at a steady clip.

Having played a tiny bit of Gate of Firmament this is a huge step up in terms of production value so far, and I'm excited to see how the game progresses.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
A patch was pushed out a short while ago. No notes just yet, though.

Edit:

Localization seems a little lacking?

It's a bit rough around the edges, particularly with regard to dialogue punctuation, but it's not confusing or otherwise sorely lacking in comprehensibility. I'd say the worst case I've come across thus far is the chess tutorial, as it's littered with grammatical errors -- but, again, the instructions are nonetheless still clear enough that I didn't find myself scratching my head.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a fun mid-budget game. Tempted to pick it up for the Chinese practice (and if that's too hard, it's nice that it has an English option).

Oct 28, 2017
So like, does someone know why every single protagonist in like every single Chinese wuxia game I've ever seen has a ponytail and usually some kind of red sash? I'm guessing it's some stock character I don't know.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Combat seems unfortunate tho I hear the story and dialogue is a lot more like the period chinese dramas, so that piqued my interest and here I am now downloading it.

Seems like it's doing pretty well that they're releasing free costume DLC next week.

Oct 27, 2017
There's english subtitles in the other Xuan Yuan game on steam too right? I saw that for $15 and was thinking about picking it up but then I read one of the reviews that made it sound like the localization is terrible in that one.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point to light attacks in this game? Seems like you should just be spamming heavy attacks and switching styles if you feel like it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never heard of this series or game but it seems dope! Yeah it sounds rough around the edges but for $35 I'm willing to give it a shot...at least around the holidays cuz I've already got a giant backlog. Does anyone know how it runs on PS4?