• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4865ce46327671.58574fc668635.png
Amen.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really like how both have been engineered, Visually and form factor XSX is superb, But I think Sony have made a machine that's going to be cooler and quieter in the long run, It seems Sony took the PS4/Pro criticisms a bit more seriously, The big thick fan on that nutty heatsink and the liquid metal is potentially great.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Genuine question - I'm trying to think of some examples where something bigger, AND less powerful, is clearly better engineered? I mean in general terms for any design goal... setting aside the fact that one of the primary goals of console design is to put as much power as possible into as small a space as possible whilst keeping the console tolerably quiet and within the $400-$500 price point.
Just to preface this, I'm not saying that the bigger and less powerful system is better engineered. I'm saying we don't have the information to actually make these judgement calls. That's because size and power are not the only factors we would consider when deciding if something was well engineered.

There are plenty of laptops where you could find devices that were smaller and more powerful that you wouldn't in fact want comparative to a larger and less powerful device because it gets hot, throttles performance, or eats up battery power. Similarly, had Nintendo added a stronger GPU/CPU to the Switch, would it be necessarily better engineered?

We can consider the cost of production of the components used. The production cost of the parts involved is going to ring in what engineers can do with their ambitions, and without knowing what the cost actually is, or the hoped for change over time, it's very difficult to judge success.

As you mentioned, sound matters. No doubt, some sort of decibel goal was set for both of these designs.The level which someone considers a good goal will vary, but that doesn't mean they weren't engineered well to meet whatever those standards were.

Then we could consider things like design goals. If a certain housing style was desired, the engineering goals may have been tailored toward it. The engineering might be very successful in that regard even if one doesn't like the aesthetics of the design.

So size and power matter, but they're far from the only things that matter when it comes to engineering.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
the ps5 emphasive on spreading out the conponent for better heat dissapation. if you notice the board arent that big but the shroud/heatsink and case which makes it huuuge. ps5 uses centrifugal fan.

where as the xsx is engineered to isolate the board that generates heats and the board that dont generate much heat. what that, that can slam a heat sink to cover just the hot side and the other compartment is fine without heatsink. xsx uses axial fan.

im curious how much heat both of them will generate.

Cyrus365

Apr 8, 2020
Thought this was well thought out video regarding some of the "Engineering feats" of PS5 teardown

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Zp86jfM.gif

do we know if there are extra plate designs coming? I assume bootleg ones will exist like on 360...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Apple always knock it out of the park with their hardware, man. Their new Mac Pro is an engineering masterpiece. Hell, the iPhones, new iPad Pros, Apple Watches... They're just great looking, and well built devices.
Fun fact Steve Jobs modeled a lot about what Apple is based on Sony. Jobs loved him some Sony.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Zp86jfM.gif

do we know if there are extra plate designs coming? I assume bootleg ones will exist like on 360...

You bet there are people on CAD software trying to get the jump on manufacturing deals to have these available on Amazon day one. They seem simple and cheap enough to make.

I mentioned on the other thread, but I can't wait to buy extra ones and have them coated in black automotive paint and clear coated. It will look spectacular.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the video of the Xbox Series X teardown? If available

I really enjoyed the PS5 teardown, it's the first sony console I've been impressed by in terms of their use of high quality components and techniques you typically only see on really high end PC builds. They're pulling out all the stops. Which makes me wonder what the hell Xbox did to manage that package.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
On all of the pre-release units it's attached to the console, yeah.

I think it's a pretty different situation between the two consoles though. The PS5 has a stand to stop it falling over. The Xbox has the stand (is it even a stand if it's part of the console...?) because it pulls in it's airflow from the bottom. If you could take the stand off then you could cover up the vents on the bottom and instantly overheat it.

It'd be nice if horizontal users could choose to remove it but I can see a case for saying 'we don't trust people to put it back on and not just use the damn thing vertically without it' because it would 100% stand up just as well without it so people wouldn't think twice about just not putting it back on.
That's a really good point, didn't even consider that. That definitely would be a baddd idea.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Anyone have the video of the Xbox Series X teardown? If available

I really enjoyed the PS5 teardown it's the first sony console I've been impressed by in terms of their use of high quality components and techniques you typically only see on really high end PC builds. They're pulling out all the stops. Which makes me wonder what the hell Xbox did to manage that package.

Skip to about 9:55

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I'm going to buy both consoles and I'm excited for this next gen. Saying that the part of the Series X I can't stop thinking about is how the one fan at the top is 60 - 70% blocked by the PSU and central mounting plate then the vents at the bottom by the disc drive and central plate. The one item which definitely needs airflow, the heat sink, is restricted to the edge of the vents on the bottom and a sliver of the fan at the top.

XBOX-SERIES-X-g.jpg
I think I'm interpreting your post correctly but if I am wrong I'm sorry.
The fan at the top is exhaust, not intake, the idea is that air is pulled in at the bottom and pulled through and exhausted out the top. The aluminum heatsink is set so the heat rises toward the fan and is pulled out.

think of it like a funnel, the cooler ambient air is pulled into the bottom and up through the case, because of the lower internal pressure from the exhaust pushing air out the top.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
picture is funny
guy from digital foundry is zoomed in and Sony guy is zoomed way out

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just to preface this, I'm not saying that the bigger and less powerful system is better engineered. I'm saying we don't have the information to actually make these judgement calls. That's because size and power are not the only factors we would consider when deciding if something was well engineered.

There are plenty of laptops where you could find devices that were smaller and more powerful that you wouldn't in fact want comparative to a larger and less powerful device because it gets hot, throttles performance, or eats up battery power. Similarly, had Nintendo added a stronger GPU/CPU to the Switch, would it be necessarily better engineered?

We can consider the cost of production of the components used. The production cost of the parts involved is going to ring in what engineers can do with their ambitions, and without knowing what the cost actually is, or the hoped for change over time, it's very difficult to judge success.

As you mentioned, sound matters. No doubt, some sort of decibel goal was set for both of these designs.The level which someone considers a good goal will vary, but that doesn't mean they weren't engineered well to meet whatever those standards were.

Then we could consider things like design goals. If a certain housing style was desired, the engineering goals may have been tailored toward it. The engineering might be very successful in that regard even if one doesn't like the aesthetics of the design.

So size and power matter, but they're far from the only things that matter when it comes to engineering.
Yep, agreed!

Personally I like the power and size of the xbox with the split motherboard but I also like the look of the ps5 liquid metal paste and the giant blower fan looks interesting too.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dunno, in the long run we'll have to wait and see how the noise and thermal designs of these consoles work out

but i would say that i have more confidence in PS5's design at this point. it's an iteration on a tried and true console layout that's known to work. sure, it's big, but i'd rather have a big console with no thermal issues than a small one with thermal issues.

series x is very impressive if it manages to sustain good thermal performance in the long run but the only real reference point for its split motherboard single intake thermal design is the trashcan Mac Pro, which had component failure issues in the long run. hopefully Xbox has managed to work that out and the solution does look better than Apple's, but the early reports of it running hot have me a bit concerned.

we will see!

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed that Xbox is effectively smaller?

From the picture I'd assume that PS5 is taller and thinner, Xbox shorter but wider. So what's the actual truth?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Zp86jfM.gif

If you accidentally sit the PS5 upright - upside down, is the middle section heavy enough to make the two sides slide upward and possibly off?

Or is it screwed on as well as clipped?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think a lot of people fully comprehend how big that PS5 is, there are going to be a lot of shocked people come November 11th when they pull that thing out of the box.

I really feel like that PS5 design is going to join the ranks of OG Xbox one and OG PS3 as a console that people do not look back on fondly of in regards to design.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A more comparative picture might have the entire xbox enclosure disassembled into individual pieces like the ps5.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I am unreasonably pleased at the tetris of the xbox series x lol. Hopefully it is easy to maintain or at least doesn't need much maintenance.

My only complaint about it right now are 1, how much the SSD sticks out the back. Just bugs me. And 2 I hate the pads on the side. Completely destroys the look. And if you lay it on its side, it looks bad with the stand on the side since you can't remove it. Feels like there is no good position. The strength of the design was in the monolithic, straight forward, bold look. That's ruined by the pads.

I also really like how well considered the the PS5 seems to be. So many user friendly considerations, and the headsink is massive. Both console's fans look massive, which I'm really happy about. I would complain about the size but I will take a two foot tall console if I need to to get it quiet.

Looking at the board of the PS5, I am pretty damn annoyed that the SSD is 825GB. Would it really have killed them to include another 275GB module? There is plenty of space and it looks like they very easily could have rearranged to make there be. At least expandability happens inside the console. I really prefer my expandable storage internal.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series X is an engineering wonder

ps5 feels line kuturagi is back in the saddle and wants to make a successor to ps3 phat

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
The more I see it, the more I realize the PS5 is actually pretty small. Sony just over-engineered the shell for cooling purposes.

And it's really making me want to see what a future PS5 slim will look like.

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to paint my PS5 plates the slickest black I can find. The XSX sure does seem like an engineering marvel though, what a compact design. I can't wait for reviews on noise for both.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like both consoles follow all these principles pretty well. They both have different styles though and execution, but you can tell that a lot of thought and care went on both console designs.

Personally, I think that Xbox had the best industrial designers outside of Apple starting with the Xbox One S (peak console design), and this gen are also great (XOS is still best in my eyes). I do think the PS5 design grows on you. I love both approaches and all gamers will benefit from it.

As far as hardware go, I don't know shit, but I was thoroughly surprised by the stuff on the PS5. They really wanted to make sure it doesn't sound like a Jet engine (unlike the Pro, which isn't that loud actually, my console at least). Again, lot of care and thought. The compartment made me chuckle because I felt like it was such a Japanese design thing to do. Xbox, has this compact design which I find very neat too. It's all very cool and very interesting because you see both companies take different approaches. I'm hyped for next gen!

edit: my favorite console design of all time is the Game Cube btw. Fucking awesome and sturdy. Some high quality shit right there.

I have no idea how you can say the PS5 matches Criteria #5 and Criteria #10 lol. It just doesn't. You could argue some of the others as well but some of those are more to taste.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
Over the years I have often thought that the engineering that goes into the Playstation consoles has always been more intricate and well thought out. One could argue there is brilliance in the simplicity of the construction of the Xbox builds but i do find the Playstation builds more interesting to examine.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
From what I seen from both consoles, it looks like the PlayStation 5 is going to be a modders dream machine. Can't wait to see the custom outside plastic designs as well as the RGB fan lights from the replaced 120 mm fan being integrated into a custom-made outside case design.

Xbox looks like it's built for entertainment system. I like that both console makers have different ways of approaching the overheating issues that customers have complained in the past about.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
It's insane how small the XSX is. More power in half the volume... wizards, I swear.

I'd like to see the actual volume of both consoles because i'm sure the XsX isn't half teh volume of the PS5. Looking at the PS5 teardown with the panels off it seems like the panels add alot to the size.

The sizes of both consoles can also be explained by die choice in die size. MS went with a bigger more expensive die with alot more CUs. They're going slow and wide. Meanwhile Sony went with a smaller and cheaper die with less CUs but ran it at higher freu
I am unreasonably pleased at the tetris of the xbox series x lol. Hopefully it is easy to maintain or at least doesn't need much maintenance.

My only complaint about it right now are 1, how much the SSD sticks out the back. Just bugs me. And 2 I hate the pads on the side. Completely destroys the look. And if you lay it on its side, it looks bad with the stand on the side since you can't remove it. Feels like there is no good position. The strength of the design was in the monolithic, straight forward, bold look. That's ruined by the pads.

I also really like how well considered the the PS5 seems to be. So many user friendly considerations, and the headsink is massive. Both console's fans look massive, which I'm really happy about. I would complain about the size but I will take a two foot tall console if I need to to get it quiet.

Looking at the board of the PS5, I am pretty damn annoyed that the SSD is 825GB. Would it really have killed them to include another 275GB module? There is plenty of space and it looks like they very easily could have rearranged to make there be. At least expandability happens inside the console. I really prefer my expandable storage internal.

They ended up at 825 because of the amount of channels used. The next step would have been double the size and not 1TB.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're both great.

I wish I knew more about what this tech does.... But I love the way it looks. Both Sony and MS look to be doing some great things here. They're different and unique from each other but that's ok.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
If it wasn't for the gigantic size I would have preferred the PS5.

As it is, both of these consoles have stupid dimensions.