• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I count 11 to xbox and over 18 to ps5...so PS5 wins?

Jokes aside, I actually really like all the small touches with the ps5, how the screw goes in the stand..the little plug for the bottom of the PS5 and that NVME drive bay looks nice and roomy for a wide variety of options.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
They both look to have done excellent jobs and fingered crossed we are in for a generation of 2 quiet consoles.

As a PS4 and PS4 pro owner the pressure was definitely more on Sony to build a quiet console and hopefully they've achieved that because personally my Pro's fan noise is crazy.

The PS5 has some great little details too like being able to store the screw in the stand and dust collectors.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They're both amazing. Can't wait to see an actual Series X teardown. Would also love to see the inside of the Series S.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
User banned (1 week): ignoring staff banner, trolling, antagonizing another member
I think the design of both is great, although the XSX looks awful when horizontal. The PS5 seems way more user friendly on maintainability even if it has some quirks like the process to change the orientation.

It is what people say, function over form and I think Sony nailed it better than MS on the maintenance perspective while MS did it better on placing a powerful machine inside their design.

On the engineering side, I can't think of many innovations on the XSX side other than the way they put everything together and the split motherboard.

On the PS5 side I like that they managed to get liquid metal and a great heatsink, virtually equivalent to a vapor chamber for a fraction of the price although it's nothing really new.
HAHAHAHAH

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I count 11 to xbox and over 18 to ps5...so PS5 wins?

Jokes aside, I actually really like all the small touches with the ps5, how the screw goes in the stand..the little plug for the bottom of the PS5 and that NVME drive bay looks nice and roomy for a wide variety of options.
Yeah. In the end I would imagine most of us aren't going to really care about what the console looks like. We'll buy the one with the games/ecosystem we like and get on with playing.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
So I went back and watched the Digital Foundry video
That was the real deal.
So I went back and re-watched the Digital Foundry video. Definitely not a full teardown of a production unit, and there are indeed magnets included for the little build demo they were doing, as is mentioned in the video.

There are a few visible ports that are missing cables, and I really doubt taking a real unit apart isn't going to require any screws (thus the magnets).

That said, I really like the Series X aesthetic, I'm a big fan of nondescript black boxes (my current pc case). The PS5 is definitely a cool and bold design, with a ton of focus on airflow. The white side panels might serve to deaden the sound from the fan, like the front of the PC case linked previously. This could even be improved by adding some noise dampening material to the inside of those white side panels to quiet the system even MORE. 🤔

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It looks like both consoles are really well designed. They're both very different in design obviously, but both manufacturers made very deliberate choices to ensure they got their desired performance. I don't really care if one has more plastic or if one is more ergonomic than the other. What matters is the architecture, and Sony and Microsoft seem to nail that. There is no poorly designed console here in my opinion.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I think the design of both is great, although the XSX looks awful when horizontal. The PS5 seems way more user friendly on maintainability even if it has some quirks like the process to change the orientation.

It is what people say, function over form and I think Sony nailed it better than MS on the maintenance perspective while MS did it better on placing a powerful machine inside their design.

On the engineering side, I can't think of many innovations on the XSX side other than the way they put everything together and the split motherboard.

On the PS5 side I like that they managed to get liquid metal and a great heatsink, virtually equivalent to a vapor chamber for a fraction of the price although it's nothing really new.
Uhhhhh. After doing some light research on vapor chamber, you might want to change your stance on it being equal to liquid metal

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how much smaller the ps5 could have been with a vapour chamber. Is a regular heat sink so much cheaper that it's still cost effective to have a massive one?

xsx is a neat design although as mentioned what we've seen doesn't have wires/screws etc so it's not a 1:1 comparison but close enough

Wires and screws complicate mounting a lot. PS5 is built in a way that is much easier and thus cheaper to assemble.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Series X is like an ideal htcp - it's a shame it doesn't dualboot with w10, lol. It's also idiot proof because you don't have to crack it open to expand the storage.

PS5 is comparatively arcane but I like how they made maintenance ez. Probably still voids the warranty tho. I don't like side panels at all - especially when they get loose, but maybe the 3rd party market will have enough fun with them that my dislike will be offset.

They both have clever cooling solutions - I really like the PS5's big heatsink - but I think the Series X is far more elegant.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was initially psyched on the PS5 but after seeing the design, I got a little discouraged. Not for me. And then seeing actual unit next to someone, and seeing how superfluous those big white over-starched restaurant napkins are, I have been further turned off. The screw compartment is neat though.

I'd never considered getting an Xbox until I saw how small, simple, and well-utilized it's form was. I never thought a tear-down video would have me on the fence about consoles 🤔
Choosing a console based on the physical design is a little weird yes, but you do you.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why bring the laptop coment in to it? Laptos cost almost 3x more then this consoles.
The R&D and thought that goes into making small form laptops with power is different than just put pieces in a bigger laptop, with more space (which is not the case here). I suspect that's what he was talking about.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
That's not how it works.

They both have 350 watt power supplies, they are both going to be putting out similar amounts of waste heat. The only thing that matters is if a) the console functions and b) it's quiet. Both consoles look like they have effective methods of removing that 300-ish watts of heat from the chassis.
Both consoles will function and will be quiet. How much and how long quiet they stays under full load is left to be found out.

It is still possible that internal temps will be different. PS5 could be running 5-10 degree cooler. This is just a speculation because we won't have tool to see internal temps like we can on PC.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Which makes the Series X even more impressive.

Liquid metal is a band aid, and indicates you expect it to be hot af. And I say that as someone that owns a laptop with LM because Intel only makes scorchers now

Liquid metal provides better thermal transfer, will give better die coverage than thermal paste, and should maintain performance for longer (ie not dry out like paste)

there are multiple advantages that means it's worth using if you can figure out a way to apply in a mass production capacity

improving things doesn't make it a sticking plaster

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Both consoles will function and will be quiet. How much and how long quiet they stays under full load is left to be found out.

It is still possible that internal temps will be different. PS5 could be running 5-10 degree cooler. This is just a speculation because we won't have tool to see internal temps like we can on PC.
What is this speculation based on though? I'm curious.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're both quiet and have good cooling so I'm happy.

Also I like that the PS5 is easy to pop open. Can't remember if the XSX is or not.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Size aside, I think people are being a little harsh on the PS5 internals. They tried to use the visual design with those external fins to minimize its bigger look, and assuming the acoustics are what we're hearing, I think they nailed it in that regard. The user-accessible M.2 slot is great, even if it's a few more steps for the user than a custom "memory card" for full-speed SSD expansions; The flexibility is a win, there.

Jan 20, 2019
The R&D and thought that goes into making small form laptops with power is different than just put pieces in a bigger laptop, with more space (which is not the case here). I suspect that's what he was talking about.

Well yes, but the laptops are made with a porpuse of making money, consoles are not so they have to cut corners.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both look like they're gonna keep the insides cool and that's all that matters in the end.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So is it still too premature to tell why the PS5 is so big compared to the XSX? I'd prefer a straight-up answer (if one exists atm) like "MS's hardware engineering was better" or "PS5's special decompress chips generate more heat" over some kumbaya both sides thing.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Liquid metal provides better thermal transfer, will give better die coverage than thermal paste, and should maintain performance for longer (ie not dry out like paste)

there are multiple advantages that means it's worth using if you can figure out a way to apply in a mass production capacity

improving things doesn't make it a sticking plaster
It does. Doesn't stop it from being a band aid.

Question is why are they using Liquid Metal when the other is more powerful and can get by with paste?

Again, I own laptops with LM. PC is delidded with LM. All band aids due to Intel making scorchers.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
You should have compared PS5 with PS4 teardown:

PS4-pro-teardown.png

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just letting hardware engineers have their moment to shine. They don't have many chances to do that lol

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Both are really well designed with obvious differences and tagets in mind.
Overall size for XSX is smaller , but is thicker for all angles, that allows for probably easier design, less volume overall but since is not narrow, i helps with size, but i can see it being difficult to place in tight setups.

PS5 is more 'traditional' , one of the sides is relatively small (witdth) that allows for more traditional 'shape', but at the cost of being bigger.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both systems look and sound really well designed, but in truth, until we know the noise, temp, power figures etc, we can't say for certain. That's the stuff that will really highlight the degree of success behind each design.

Also, there's such a thing as practicality of size too. Will the PS5 actually fit in my entertainment unit is what I want to know. I already know the XSX won't (hence I'll be hiding it behind my TV), but without horizontal stand inclusive measurements for the PS5, I simply don't know.

There are some neat QoL or style features I do like that afaik are unique to the PS5 though, namely;
  • More than two USB ports
  • Removable side panels (will no doubt be custom ones available)
  • Vacuumable dust traps
  • Easy non-proprietary expansion installation
  • Vibration dampeners
  • USB-C and USB 3.1 ports

Feb 6, 2019
Kinda misleading pic since the X case is just all in one piece standing vertically off to the side while the PS5 case is taken apart in pieces and spread around.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Saw this posted on Reddit in the Xbox subreddit, specifically framed as "Xbox better", and to my surprise, almost every post was about how both were impressive. And here we see a bunch of uninformed opinions being thrown around. That's embarrassing.
Yeah anyone that even attempts to say one is better than the other is silly. They exactly nailed their design goals. It's all a matter of preference at this point And what ticks off your boxes.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Consoles are basically custom PC parts, so cooling and size can be compared to small PC and laptop designs.

One is premium, the other is big.

If you are going to say they aren't custom PC parts, only one that applies right now is the Switch.
Both are premium, my dude. Different approaches to how they were designed and built.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Both are custom.

Please tell me where to buy the Series X parts as you claim it is basically a PC

It's built like a PC. PS5 internal layout is more custom.

Both are "PCs" of course, but engineering is still different. Not saying either is inferior.

I still prefer PS5 layout with better thermal solution, bigger heatsink and sizeable storage bay that can probably fit SSDs with their own heatsinks.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
The one thing I'm wondering about with the PS5 design is how well heat will dissipate from that m.2 SSD enclosure. Many m.2 SSDs, especially Gen3/4 can run very very hot. The m.2 I bought for external storage (using a plugable enclosure) kicks out heat like a MF when it has been writing a lot. From the video it seems like the slot is located near some of the external fins and by one of the fans, so it seems like they have it covered.

Overall I'm more impressed with the Series X design, just because of the form factor, but seems like both consoles are very well designed. I'm hoping they sell black side plates for the PS5 as people are speculating just so it will stick out a little bit less on my stand.