• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wasn't going to make this thread until we had more concrete info on it but after this tweet was sent out I figured everyone should get a heads up.

What we know from the Classic Gaming Discord server:

GENERAL
Q: Who are the creators of XStation?
A: I'm (rama) is the designer and @8BitModsThanos is helping and coordinating.

Q: Where can I buy it?
A: XStations board sales will be from Castlemania Games only.
8BitMods will not offer the board directly as they are busy with Fenrir, the upcoming 21-pin Fenrir, and others.

Q: Who will be offering installation services or pre-modded consoles?
A: There is no exclusivity on install services so the list will be large. 8BitMods will be offering installs and pre-modded systems. In the US, Voultar and iFixRetro will also offer installations.

Q: What is the price and release date for XStation?
A: Price and release date are TBD and yet to be announced. Estimated to be under $100 and around September in time for the @citrus3000psi's ps1digital mod.

Q: What models of PlayStation can I install XStation?
A: Every PSX model up to and including PU-18 which includes Japanese launch units, through early SPCH-70xx. It does not support PSOne or any newer models.

Q: What special features does XStation have?
A: XStation is region free and anti-modchip protection is integrated. Chris Covell's de-dither option will also be toggled. 50/60 hz output is automatic.

Q: How are multi-disc games handled?
A: You can change to the next disc by opening and closing the lid. It's yet to be determined if this functionality can also be added to ps1digital's in game reset (IGR) feature.

Q: What compatibility problems are anticipated?
A: None. This should work identically to the CD drive with the same timings.

Q: What are the current known defects remaining?
A: Roswell Conspiracies, and Wing Commander IV freezes at the end of the intro. These are both being researched and expected to be resolved.

FIRMWARE
Q: How will firmware updates be handled?
A: No registration necessary, unless it gets cloned. No registration necessary for updates. It is transferable, you can also roll back FW if needed. XStation won't hold any personal information. The sellers will, for shipping purposes only. All user data is private and not shared or released to the public.

Q: Can i update the firmware from WiFi?
A: Firmware can be updated from SD card at first, but it's planned to support updates over WiFi later.

INSTALLATION
Q: How difficult is the mod?
A: It is primarily soldering a quick solder board (QSB) in place, and connecting with the XStation via a single flat flex cable There are some pins that need to be lifted or snipped from the DSP chip.

Q: Can I keep existing modchips?
A: Any modchips must be removed.

Q: Does it require cutting any traces?
A: No traces are cut but pins need to be lifted from the DSP chip.

Q: Can the CD drive still be used with the xStation installed?
A: No, the xStation will replace the drive but the tray will remain.

Q: Is there a detailed installation guide?
A: Voultar will release a video over the next few days and it will become clear what the process entails.

Please note the versions of the PS1 this works on in the FAQ. If you want to pair it with the upcoming PS1Digital (HDMI mod) from citrus3000psi then please check which versions that will be compatible with since it's much more narrow. I don't know if anything has changed since this tweet so check for yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
So this won't support an SCPH-7502?
Tempted to hunt down an SCPH-5502 to do the ultimate XStation+PS1Digital build to go with my 7502 PSIO build.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what this is... It lets you copy games onto flash storage and play it on an original PSX?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It's supposed to be a PSIO (it's compatibility has actually gotten worse with updates) killer and better in every way possible.

Compatibility in some games has gone backwards but that's due to more accuracy in the emulation of the CDROM logic, the problem is that the games that are affected are flagship titles (FFVII). I think it's more accurate to say that the worst thing about the PSIO is it still has these growing pains despite years on the market. The latest firmware is a big step forward but that's a tough pill to swallow for a device that came out four years ago.

As for the Xstation I'm intruigued! it is a pity about the install process though. Lots of people are going to kill their console trying to pull pins on the DSP. I have a spare console so I'll keep an eye on this.

So this won't support an SCPH-7502?
Tempted to hunt down an SCPH-5502 to do the ultimate XStation+PS1Digital build to go with my 7502 PSIO build.

Yeah - it's a shame as the 7501 has the better GPU so dithered textured polygons look much better.

OP
OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand what this is... It lets you copy games onto flash storage and play it on an original PSX?
Yes.

EDIT:
This is what it'll look like after install.

HfOhaWZ.jpg

Laser Bear Industries is also designing a 3D printed filler with an SD card extender like they did for the GCN ODE (and others) for those that want a cleaner look.

Last edited:

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Gonna stubbornly play on my filthy PSIO until a PlayStation MiSTer core drops or I freaking cave for this beauty.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So unlike the PSIO you can no longer use your disc based games or have any modchips installed?... eh.

I've been waiting for the PS1Digital for ages, having full HDMI support on the PS1 is damn amazing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - it's a shame as the 7501 has the better GPU so dithered textured polygons look much better.
I went with the 7502 for my PSIO build specifically because of this and it really sucks that I can't use either of them with it. I get why the PSDigital won't work (no analog signal to tap into on a 7502) but I can't imagine why the XStation won't work.
Say what you want about the PSIO but as long as your PS1 has a parallel port you are golden(and some have even modded it to work on later models without it) and you can still use your disk drive.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Shame that it doesn't work on PSone, not only do I have a spare one of those with a dead disc drive but the tiny size would be perfect for a disc-less PS1 setup.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I went with the 7502 for my PSIO build specifically because of this and it really sucks that I can't use either of them with it. I get why the PSDigital won't work (no analog signal to tap into on a 7502) but I can't imagine why the XStation won't work.
Say what you want about the PSIO but as long as your PS1 has a parallel port you are golden(and some have even modded it to work on later models without it) and you can still use your disk drive.

Yeah its a shame that what is arguably the best revision of the original PS1 is incompatible with two of the most exciting mods for it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am keeping my PSIO modded 7501, but I have a 5501 that's ready to receive all of the love

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I didn't buy a PSIO a few months ago

Don't despair too much - they confirmed today they have Jackie Chan Stuntmaster working which has eluded them for years.

Anyway It will be really interesting to see them side by side in terms of compatibility as I suspect many of the problems the PSIO has is due to the more technical nature of its implementation, whereas the XStation doesn't have to worry about simulating aspects of the PS1 hardware as it just hijacks data streams by hacking into the DSP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't despair too much - they confirmed today they have Jackie Chan Stuntmaster working which has eluded them for years.

Anyway It will be really interesting to see them side by side in terms of compatibility as I suspect many of the problems the PSIO has is due to the more technical nature of its implementation, whereas the XStation doesn't have to worry about simulating aspects of the PS1 hardware as it just hijacks data streams by hacking into the DSP.
Haha, wow. Always thought it was funny seeing that on the compatibility list. just need vibribbon now

Nov 1, 2017
Is there anyone in Ottawa (or close by) that can install these mods? I would love to install an UltraHDMI, DCDigital, and now PS1 Digital. However, they all require soldiering, something that goes beyond my realm of comfort. If so, I'd pick up all three mods in a heartbeat. Same goes for the X-Station ODE for the PS1.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Honest question, what do you all do with your discs after ripping them and installing ODEs (doesn't matter which consoles)?

Because I struggle to find a reason to keep them. This would be my first ODE mod.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is there anyone in Ottawa (or close by) that can install these mods? I would love to install an UltraHDMI, DCDigital, and now PS1 Digital. However, they all require soldiering, something that goes beyond my realm of comfort. If so, I'd pick up all three mods in a heartbeat. Same goes for the X-Station ODE for the PS1.

Honest question, what do you all do with your discs after ripping them and installing ODEs (doesn't matter which consoles)?

Because I struggle to find a reason to keep them. This would be my first ODE mod.
It depends for me. If it's a game that has some nostalgia or importance to me I'll likely keep it. If it's something I picked up used and don't have much attachment I'll likely sell it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Fyi, if you rip a game you're still supposed to own the game to use that rip. Getting dangerously close to a different topic of discussion.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's great that things like this are happening. There must be so many PS1s with dead drives by now.

Nov 1, 2017
He's in Toronto, that's a nearly 5 hour drive. He may know someone in Ottawa he can recommend though.
Sorry I misread it in my mind that PyroPaperPlanes was ok for shipping, but wanted to keep it in Canada. I'm not sure why I read it that way when I go back and read the post now, smh. Yeah, maybe someone closer Leon could recommend.
While Ottawa would be preferable, Toronto might work out. I'd totally be up for driving, but uhh... That doesn't seem like a good idea right now, for obvious reasons. Thanks for the suggestion!

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In my defense, the tweets are blocked on the work network so if they're in there I can't see them. Yep, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, lol. :p

Nov 1, 2017

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
What's the advantage to play PS1 games in an original PS1 over a PS3 or even a PS2 (both easily avaliable and more realiable)?

Oct 27, 2017
What's the advantage to play PS1 games in an original PS1 over a PS3 or even a PS2 (both easily avaliable and more realiable)?

The My Life in Gaming RGB series video on PS1 covers the topic in depth and is easy to watch. There's not a huge downside to playing discs in PS2, although it does have some compatibility issues. PS3 is entirely software emulation and produces a much softer picture than a properly upscaled PS1 RGB/Component output.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
There are advantages to each. Just depends what's important to you.

PS1 and PS2
PS1 and PS2 can both be run through upscalers (e.g., Framemeister, OSSC, RetroTINK Pro) that make the games look really good (and can even give you CRT-ish scanlines, if that's your thing). I just played through FFVII via an OSSC, and it was pretty mindblowing.

And if you play old, pre-analog-stick PS1 games, many (maybe most) cheap PS1 controllers you find at Amazon map the joystick to the d-pad. On a PS3, you're forced to use the d-pad for some games, despite the system's settings to swap between analog/digital (e.g., FFVII).

PS1
Older PS1 models had a parallel port into which you can plug a GameShark for cheats. I use mine for a PSIO (mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

PS2
PS2's main advantages over a PS1 are component output (which is your best option for an upscaler like the RetroTINK) and I think has a faster disc drive (which doesn't matter if you have a PS1 with Xstation or PSIO).

PS3
Already has HDMI out, which is convenient. You can play digital copies straight from the PS store. No delay in switiching from 240p/480i output between gameplay and menus (unlike with many upscalers). But the picture isn't great. It's not the worst (the worst is a non-hacked PSTV's default output for PS1 games), but not great.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the threat, Fuzzy. I only just found it. My X-Station and PS1Digital-compatible PS1 is currently in the post, ordered it from eBay over the weekend. I plan to order this and then PS1Digital when it's available. Then gotta find someone to do the install for me. Can't wait!!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
9am Pacific will be 5pm British Summer Time. My wallet is ready!! Just need to set a reminder on my phone. Then I need to get the PS1Digitial HDMI whenever that's ready to buy.

My 5502 PS1 arrived in the post today, hooray.

Any Mac users here rip PS1 games on their machine? Just curious to know if it's possible and which software you use to do it on OSX. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2017
9am Pacific will be 5pm British Summer Time. My wallet is ready!! Just need to set a reminder on my phone. Then I need to get the PS1Digitial HDMI whenever that's ready to buy.

My 5502 PS1 arrived in the post today, hooray.

Any Mac users here rip PS1 games on their machine? Just curious to know if it's possible and which software you use to do it on OSX. Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, it's as simple as copying the contents of the CD onto your computer with any regular CD/DVD drive.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
10 minutes until pre-orders open

castlemaniagames.com

XStation Optical Discdrive Emulator (ODE) Mod Kit

Compatibility: The xStation can be installed in SCPH-100x, SCPH-5xxx and some SCPH-700x series consoles. Specifically, motherboard models that are supported are: - PU-7* - PU-8* - PU-18. PU-7 and the early PU-8 are possible to support, these QSB's are still in the works however and will be sold...