• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
just a reminder to the world of they did in Tiananmen Square

Well that's sad and all but where else are we to manufacture PS5s and the next Xbox? /s

I hope that journalism and social media's exposition will make the difference now. I'd really hope so...

It will make it harder to cover up but don't expect any radical change. The Syrian Civil War must be the most catalogued, recorded war in all of human history and yet here we are 8 years later with it still going on with most people not giving a shit.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The threat is still murder. "Two completely different messages" my ass.

At this point I'm going to sound like I'm hung up on this but "Don't take him literally" when the supposedly more nuanced translation doesn't actually change the message or the way it's recieved struck me as borderline finding-an-excuse-to-well-actually in a way that didn't sit well with me as far as intent goes. I wouldn't say that's a straight up defense of the CCP though. I probed the user about it because it felt a bit off.

Damn you quoted me before I fixed my phone's typo. I agree in the end there's not much difference between the litteral and the proper translation. I still appreciate knowing though.

The message is one of extreme violence. The fact that it is a calling card to the Tiananmen massacre makes the words even more purposeful. Everyone understands. I also don't think you should be speaking on behalf of how China as a whole would perceive a violent speech. You can say how you see the message but i bet there are others in China that think of the massacre and get chills.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. The user stated that the translation wasn't how Chinese should translate to English in this case. I see this happen to messages translated from French to English often enough and Chinese is a lot further away from English so I can only imagine. Languages have their subtleties and rarely translate 1:1.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Xi is a mass murderer. The language he used invoked past instances of state sponsored violence. Spare me this garbage. I'll quote you this post for context, if you missed it.
Of course he is, but you clearly don't understand the difference between implied violence and an explicit declaration. The use of this language allows for a facade of civility. That's the whole fucking point. He isn't going to outright say he will crush people's bones because that's not what people do if they want to seem like they aren't lunatics. There are people in this thread telling you how Chinese idioms work, but you prefer to stick your fingers in your ears.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn you quoted me before I fixed my phone's typo. I agree in the end there's not much difference between the litteral and the proper translation. I still appreciate knowing though.

I think the idea that there's even a difference if you don't take him literally carries buried within it the suggestion that he's not actually saying what he's saying. With this context, that's something I will always side-eye.

Of course he is, but you clearly don't understand the difference between implied violence and an explicit declaration. The use of this language allows for a facade of civility. That's the whole fucking point. He isn't going to outright say he will crush people's bones because that's not what people do if they want to seem like they aren't lunatics. There are people in this thread telling you how Chinese idioms work, but you prefer to stick your fingers in your ears.

There is a point where something being an idiom doesn't even matter. That's literally what I've been spending this entire thread trying to explain.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I am not defending this man but "crushed bodies and shattered bones" is a Chinese way expressing you will die for something, here it may mean things won't end up well for somebody. Don't take it too literal.
I'm just quoting your post here to indicate that I support your effort to clarify what he's saying for those of us who don't speak Chinese. That you got criticized for doing this is patently ridiculous.
I think the idea that there's even a difference if you don't take him literally carries buried within it the suggestion that he's not actually saying what he's saying. With this context, that's something I will always side-eye.

There is a point where something being an idiom doesn't even matter. That's literally what I've been spending this entire thread trying to explain.
What you are doing in this thread is trying to justify your accusation that someone who clarified that the combination of words used here are an idiom was suspiciously lacking in anti-Xi fervor. It's ridiculous.

Whether your attitude changes as a result of finding out that it is an idiom is irrelevant. It is still pertinent to know that it's an idiom, particularly since it is an idiom in another language that most of the people posting in this thread almost certainly don't understand.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure where you're going with this. The user stated that the translation wasn't how Chinese should translate to English in this case. I see this happen to messages translated from French to English often enough and Chinese is a lot further away from English so I can only imagine. Languages have their subtleties and rarely translate 1:1.

I'll have to see some publications speak to what you are saying here to determine how this specifically is widely perceived in China. I'm seeing this reported everywhere one certain way and you are challenging all of them and asserting that none of them are seeing the nuance you are. I don't know why they are all getting it wrong and not seeing it how you are?

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The leaders of China complicit in this deserved to be gunned down, just a disgusting regime.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What you are doing in this thread is trying to justify your accusation that someone who clarified that the combination of words used here are an idiom was suspiciously lacking in anti-Xi fervor. It's ridiculous.

Whether your attitude changes as a result of finding out that it is an idiom is irrelevant. It is still pertinent to know that it's an idiom, particularly since it is an idiom in another language that most of the people posting in this thread almost certainly don't understand.

The fact that it is an idiom changes fundamentally nothing about the intent, the message, or the translation. In most other circumstances it would, yes, but this is an outlier, given the political context and the speaker. Since that is the case, I have to question the reasons why someone would even bring it into disrepute.

"Anti-Xi frevor"-- what, are you going to call me a racist next?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

I understand that it's an idiom too and agree with you.
To contextualize, it's like an English speaking authoritarian murderer in charge trying to keep up appearances for some and silence others who are considering joining overthrowing the government by saying "By fighting us they're biting off more than they can chew and they will have to bite the bullet."
Saying it's just an idiom is the authoritarian supporter way of trying to gaslight.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it is an idiom changes fundamentally nothing about the intent, the message, or the translation. In most other circumstances it would, yes, but this is an outlier, given the political context and the speaker. Since that is the case, I have to question the reasons why someone would even bring it into disrepute.

"Anti-Xi frevor"-- what, are you going to call me a racist next?
So, basically, having context for the translation doesn't matter to you.

That's fine.

But others, like myself, appreciate the context. I hope can you can understand.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll have to see some publications speak to what you are saying here to determine how this specifically is widely perceived in China. I'm seeing this reported everywhere one certain way and you are challenging all of them and asserting that none of them are seeing the nuance you are. I don't know why they are all getting it wrong and not seeing it how you are?
What are you smoking? I made no such claims.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I understand that it's an idiom too and agree with you.
To contextualize, it's like an English speaking authoritarian murderer in charge trying to keep up appearances for some and silence others who are considering joining overthrowing the government by saying "By fighting us they're biting off more than they can chew and they will have to bite the bullet."
Saying it's just an idiom is the authoritarian supporter way of trying to gaslight.
No, because no one speaks like that in English. In Chinese, everyone speaks like that. Idioms are things you learn in preschool. They're a natural part of the language.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, basically, having context for the translation doesn't matter to you.

That's fine.

But others, like myself, appreciate the context. I hope can you can understand.
Why do you appreciate the context here? What has it changed for you?

No, because no one speaks like that in English. In Chinese, everyone speaks like that. Idioms are things you learn in preschool. They're a natural part of the language.
...a-are you saying nobody uses idioms on a day to day basis in English? I've got some news to break for you...

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

It absolutely matters. The violence being only implicit is what makes it so much more insidious. It allows them to hide behind a veneer of respectability.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely matters. The violence being only implicit is what makes it so much more insidious. It allows them to hide behind a veneer of respectability.
It's not implicit when it's a direct fucking reference to a goddamn massacre he already bloody well committed.

I feel like I'm talking to Trump supporters, fuck my life.

Edit: i'm an idiot don't come to me for history lessons

Last edited:

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Maybe not in your nation.
There's English people that speak in idioms and have used them since childhood.
Chinese idiomatic expressions have a very specific place in Chinese linguistics. I'm not saying that English and other languages don't use idioms; I'm saying that they're not fundamentally idiomatic languages like Chinese is. The specific "contextual quote" you provided doesn't sound natural because no one speaks like that. If someone did, it'd be very clear what they were implying based on that specific diction. This isn't always the case in Chinese, where the words in the idiomatic expression may or may not be at all related to the context they're used, and are much more integrated into everyday speech since childhood.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is just trying to delay the inevitable.

People like to say China is going to become a superpower within the next decade, but they are far more likely to collapse in the next decade than that. Between the fact that the government has artificially held up the economy every time a struggle happens, the huge debt it has an emerging economy, and the very fast approaching population disaster from the terrible "one-child policy", I'd be surprised if China doesn't completely collapse.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

People like to say China is going to become a superpower within the next decade, but they are far more likely to collapse in the next decade than that. Between the fact that the government has artificially held up the economy every time a struggle happens, the huge debt it has an emerging economy, and the very fast approaching population disaster from the terrible "one-child policy", I'd be surprised if China doesn't completely collapse.
We can only hope

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
It's not implicit when it's a direct fucking reference to a goddamn massacre he already bloody well committed.

I feel like I'm talking to Trump supporters, fuck my life.
It's a common expression that has no direct connection to Tiananmen that I know of. Anecdotally, I asked my mom and she thought nothing of the idiom. It's funny that you call people Trump supporters for explaining the meaning when you're the one with the arrogance to assume you understand the nuances of a different language based on an imperfect translation and then doubling down on when challenged.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
...a-are you saying nobody uses idioms on a day to day basis in English? I've got some news to break for you...

You're not wrong, but idioms in Chinese are a thing in themselves. They are notoriously hard to translate because they are based on archaic ancient Chinese texts and function as words in and of themselves (even though most of them are comprised of four words, it doesn't really work to try and read them as separate words). Chinese is a very prescriptive set of languages (or at least the art of using it descriptively has been largely lost among the general population short of poets) where certain things are just "what we say" and if people haven't expressed a sentiment in one grammtical/idiomatic structure before, it can be seen as invalid.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
What are you smoking? I made no such claims.

Aren't your posts directly in defense of the poster that said this originally?

Say whatever you want, I am just pointing out some nuanced mistranslation.

I'm simply saying that this "angle" has not been addressed in any report I have seen and I would assume these publications have Chinese staff that would have input. I'm open to it but I need more consensus.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you appreciate the context here? What has it changed for you?

Because it sheds more light. How a leader, especially a dictator, speaks is very important. In this case, it outlines a facade. Yes, in the end, it may not matter. I agree. However, it is worth noting his facade because it can be obviously tied to the massacre but Chinese/Mandarin speakers may not see it that way.

It does not hurt anyone here or in China to have a better understanding of the language used.

What has it changed for me? Not much besides having a better understanding of how native speakers may interpret what he's saying.

Either way, it's not a big deal as you've made it to be.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that you call people Trump supporters

I didn't explicitly call anyone a Trump supporter, but you knew that already. This nitpicky dance people are playing follows the same rhythm in the discussion.
Because it sheds more light. How a leader, especially a dictator, speaks is very important. In this case, it outlines a facade. Yes, in the end, it may not matter. I agree. However, it is worth noting his facade because it can be obviously tied to the massacre but Chinese/Mandarin speakers may not see it that way.

It does not hurt anyone here or in China to have a better understanding of the language used.

What has it changed for me? Not much besides having a better understanding of how native speakers may interpret what he's saying.

I'm not really trying to make a deal out of it. Dogpiles are fun like that. It makes it seem like I care more than I do because I have to repeat the discussion with every new participant.

Responding to this with a re-stating of my original concerns would just play into that. Know that I would discuss this further with you were it not for me actually not caring enough to have the same discussion seven times over, resulting in looking like a lunatic. I value my sanity too much for that.

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The CCP completely failing to understand soft power is a thing that exists will be the end of them

I wouldn't say complete collapse but they are going to quickly lose what leverage they currently have by pushing way too far. Corporate greed is so willing to forgive and placate but it's like they are even pushing the limits of that and are going to force corporations to chose between western markets and them because they've been so openly hostile and cartoonishly evil right or left people in the west aren't having any of it. It's pretty rare we agree on anything but seeing universal condemnation from our politicians here is an example of how they are fucking up badly

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Aren't your posts directly in defense of the poster that said this originally?

I'm simply saying that this "angle" has not been addressed in any report I have seen and I would assume these publications have Chinese staff that would have input. I'm open to it but I need more consensus.
It's a lot more likely they're all working off the same press release.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Chinese idiomatic expressions have a very specific place in Chinese linguistics. I'm not saying that English and other languages don't use idioms; I'm saying that they're not fundamentally idiomatic languages like Chinese is. The specific "contextual quote" you provided doesn't sound natural because no one speaks like that. If someone did, it'd be very clear what they were implying based on that specific diction. This isn't always the case in Chinese, where the words in the idiomatic expression may or may not be at all related to the context they're used, and are much more integrated into everyday speech since childhood.
Yes, the usage in my example wasn't meant to be subtle or natural as it was only a blatant example meant to be seen through and wasn't a professionally written opaque statement meant to be delivered as a representative of the people.
If the time was taken something more natural could be conjured to appeal and threaten with ample room for "How did you get that threat implication from an idiom?" as a greasy dishonest reply.

Implication is key to understanding context in subtle language. The implication, especially in context of the subject, does sound like the Tiananmen massacre and can't be discounted with "it's just an idiom" unless being willfully ignorant if not a supporter.

If it's just an idiom then Xi will accept them to suffer the idiomatic metaphor and wouldn't have any reason to impose the literal.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was very clearly sarcasm. I'm pointing out your hypocrisy at saying that these distinctions don't matter when they absolutely fucking do, while engaging in semantics in your own posts.
It would only be a hypocritical act if your "Gotcha!" snark was a legitimate 1-1 comparison.

it's not.

Now if you really want me to go into a several paragraph digression into why "I feel like I'm talking with Trump supporters" is functionally different from "You're all Trump supporters" and why there's meaningful difference there as opposed to "if you do this imma murder a buncha folks" vs "if you do this imma murder a buncha folks", i could, but ask yourself if that really is a worthwhile use of your time and my time.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's a lot more likely they're all working off the same press release.

So in the coming days ahead we should expect articles on the "nuance." I mean if it's there we'll certainly see it in articles. I'll keep my eye out. That said said providing nuance does soften his message so not sure he would want that.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
No he isn't. A rational leader moves slowly and deliberately and even if they see pushback they are measured. This statement from him is not measured, it's unhinged. Also NK was basically closed off from the world whereas China is very connected. A long term violent tyranny in NK is nothing like one developing in China. Chinese businesses do not want to be in a North Korea.

They can be run by intelligent men but not sane men. The act of being a tyrant makes you lose yourself and go mad. Then you have the core of yes men that also have to be compromised to sign off on atrocities. They thirst for power too. It all falls apart eventually.
Right.
You can be a tyrant, perfectly sane, and not lose yourself or go mad. See Kissinger, or Khomeini. Or Rehza Palavi. Or Al Sisi. Or Mubarak. Or every single military dictator during Brazil's period of military rule. Reality doesnt have to line up with storybook logic, and it often doesnt.

Everything falls apart eventually. Thats a meaningless statement.

You wanna believe jinping aint rational? go right ahead. You wont find many fopo peeps that agree with ya tho.
NK existed but it was not part of the world community. We are talking about the sustainability of China's current regime. If they go full NK then they have lost because that is a road to financial ruin. They would be isolated like NK. We would be having a completely different discussion as the country would be neck deep in sanctions.
Srsly dude, grow up. Aint no one gon isolate a country as rich as China, same way aint no one isolates Saudi Arabia, who's in the process of genociding yemenis for some years now. Money talks, and china has not only a fuckload of money, but also bout than 20% of the worlds population. No one's gonna do shit.

And Xi knows. Which is the problem

Last edited:

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yes, the usage in my example wasn't meant to be subtle or natural as it was only a blatant example meant to be seen through and wasn't a professionally written opaque statement meant to be delivered as a representative of the people.
If the time was taken something more natural could be conjured to appeal and threaten with ample room for "How did you get that threat implication from an idiom?" as a greasy dishonest reply.

Implication is key to understanding context in subtle language. The implication, especially in context of the subject, does sound like the Tiananmen massacre and can't be discounted with "it's just an idiom" unless being willfully ignorant if not a supporter.

If it's just an idiom then Xi will accept them to suffer the idiomatic metaphor and wouldn't have any reason to impose the literal.
See below quote--he explains why the nuance matters much better than I could. Shrugging it off with "it doesn't matter anyway" is pretty ignorant.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There may be no coup. Semantically and specifically. Though there does appear to be government distress in the country since Xi has to snort that loud in an attempt to threaten compliance. They wouldn't make this statement if it wasn't necessary. This threat wouldn't be solely for Hong Kong's benefit.
I think I agree. China's recent nationalistic saber rattling is probably not so much a warning to the outside world, but a warning of internal fears. I suspect China's economy is slowing down, and being a dictatorship over a very large country only really works as long as most people are optimistic about the future. The recent fanning of nationalist flames seems like it could be a distraction, and now threats are getting uttered to stop possible unrest in its tracks. You could even link the installation of all the cameras as a deliberate cautionary move for when the economy stalls.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Standard dictator speech. I think Qaddafi said something similar before his overthrow about bathing cities in blood.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So in the coming days ahead we should expect articles on the "nuance." I mean if it's there we'll certainly see it in articles. I'll keep my eye out. That said said providing nuance does soften his message so not sure he would want that.
In an ideal world yes. Journalism is kind of hurting too much to get bogged down in "boring details". At the end of the day the difference is inexistant for the Western audience.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Everything falls apart eventually. Thats a meaningless statement.

You wanna believe jinping aint rational? go right ahead. You wont find many fopo peeps that agree with ya tho.

I never said everything falls apart I said his rule will and the rule of mad dictators never lasts. If he goes to far they will lose their stature worldwide and fall into ruin. Anyone that approves camps and organ harvesting is not rational. It's not even pragmatic. It's an emotional choice, a hateful choice, it's irrational.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See below quote--he explains why the nuance matters much better than I could. Shrugging it off with "it doesn't matter anyway" is pretty ignorant.
All of my responses have been "In this specific instance it really doesn't matter". I agree that it's a thing and that it usually matters. Political context strips this facade naked, idiom or no idiom.

I mean shit, I've professionally proofed subs for anime (Though I know little Japanese). Language specific nuance is super important and changes how things can be written in ANY translation. But here? The message isn't meaningfully different even knowing it's an idiom. I wouldn't need to change this as written to clarify any intent behind the words.

May 26, 2018
I think I agree. China's recent nationalistic saber rattling is probably not so much a warning to the outside world, but a warning of internal fears. I suspect China's economy is slowing down, and being a dictatorship over a very large country only really works as long as most people are optimistic about the future. The recent fanning of nationalist flames seems like it could be a distraction, and now threats are getting uttered to stop possible unrest in its tracks. You could even link the installation of all the cameras as a deliberate cautionary move for when the economy stalls.

There's also the possibility that it's just being said to protect his ego, and it's not necessarily relevant to the healthy structure of his regime.