• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I am not defending this man but "crushed bodies and shattered bones" is a Chinese way expressing you will die for something, here it may mean things won't end up well for somebody. Don't take it too literal.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate you letting us know about the Chinese idiom, and that I don't think you deserved to be dogpiled for this post.

Although it seems like it's a distinction without a difference considering the CCP is willing to rape, torture and murder undesirables regardless of whether they will be literally crushed and shattered.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The regime in China is on a clock and they know it which is why they are stepping up rhetoric. I expect a power struggle will end the current rule. At one point Xinnie the Pooh will be more concerned and in love with himself than the country and this will irritate his peers. There is no scenario where I see the regime being perfectly fine. It will just get more and more paranoid and reactionary.
This is delusional. An authoritarian government with the control over every aspect of their citizens lives that China has has never existed previously. What do you think will happen? The Chinese mainland rises as one against the government?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is delusional. An authoritarian government with the control over every aspect of their citizens lives that China has has never existed previously. What do you think will happen? The Chinese mainland rises as one against the government?

I think it's delusional to think that their current trajectory and leadership strategies are sustainable. Soft tyrannies can work for awhile but hard violent tyrannies just don't last because they are run by mad men and mad men can't be reasoned with and eventually piss everyone off.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's delusional to think that their current trajectory and leadership strategies are sustainable. Soft tyrannies can work for awhile but hard violent tyrannies just don't last because they are run by mad men and mad men can't be reasoned with and eventually piss everyone off.

If you think the CCP will be losing their grip on power anytime soon, you are sorely mistaken my friend.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If you think the CCP will be losing their grip on power anytime soon, you are sorely mistaken my friend.

It all depends on how aggressive they get in the coming years. They have crossed a line with the Muslim camps and organ harvesting so they aren't really able to trumpet good deeds anymore to win global pats on the back. Knowing this they might just stop all the pretending and go all in. This comes down to leadership and whether Pooh is able to pull back but he would think that is weakness so chances are he doubles down.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
in spite of being a monster, xi jinping is very much a rational actor, same as the last 3 NK dictators.

hard violent tyrannies can very much be run by sane men.

May 26, 2018
in spite of being a monster, xi jinping is very much a rational actor, same as the last 3 NK dictators.

Yup. Will take something out of his hands for anything truly damaging to occur. Any mistakes he might personally make (invading Russia in the winter not withstanding) would likely result in shifts from other countries, resulting in a similar shift from him. Kind of a back and forth stress alleviation.

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I have full confidence that if China fucks up HK the world will band together and make them pay. We start by sanctioning 5 people. Then, double to 10 if China persist. We will continue to double until 100. It has worked so well in other totalitarian regime...

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have full confidence that if China fucks up HK the world will band together and make them pay. We start by sanctioning 5 people. Then, double to 10 if China persist. We will continue to double until 100. It has worked so well in other totalitarian regime...
I would hope so. I don't realistically expect it to happen, because shareholders and trades expectations.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

No he isn't. A rational leader moves slowly and deliberately and even if they see pushback they are measured. This statement from him is not measured, it's unhinged. Also NK was basically closed off from the world whereas China is very connected. A long term violent tyranny in NK is nothing like one developing in China. Chinese businesses do not want to be in a North Korea.

They can be run by intelligent men but not sane men. The act of being a tyrant makes you lose yourself and go mad. Then you have the core of yes men that also have to be compromised to sign off on atrocities. They thirst for power too. It all falls apart eventually.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

North Korea isn't violent?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
even if a site got something wrong on somebody I hated, I wouldn't jump in to say they got something wrong because fuck that guy

why don't you have my levels of "fuck that guy"
Being factually wrong about shit is not a moral stand.
Correcting people about that stuff is not defending anything.
I have no idea why this thread is so fucking hostile, it's a native speaker telling you the translation is off, nothing more. You don't have to draw any political conclusion from that shit.
And as far as I can tell he's right, if you think he's making shit up or lying, call him up on that, otherwise, what's wrong with trying to better understand what Chinese leaders are actually saying?

It's not like their words matter all that much anyway, like, are you expecting Xi to do a "I'm a bad guy" speech like a James Bond villain?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'd love to vote with my wallet if I can but its next to impossible with how entrenched Chinese business is.

It's one thing to divest from South Africa or something but to divest from China would be a serious undertaking

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why this thread is so fucking hostile, it's a native speaker telling you the translation is off, nothing more.
"This is a metaphor" isn't "The translation is off". Nothing about the message was changed with regards to intent or context. That, and nobody in the thread was having any problems deciphering the intent or the message. Yet, the user jumped in telling us to not take a mass murderer "Literally" when he was telling us about all the mass murder he wanted to commit.

I'm gonna call a dude out if they think that's worth nitpicking over given the subject matter. They say "Choose your battles", and that was a battle that user chose. There aren't a lot of good reasons why someone would choose it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
North Korea isn't violent?

NK existed but it was not part of the world community. We are talking about the sustainability of China's current regime. If they go full NK then they have lost because that is a road to financial ruin. They would be isolated like NK. We would be having a completely different discussion as the country would be neck deep in sanctions.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Guys he meant make a piece pie, not a human pie! Those innards will be filled with molasses,not human morass! Don't take it so literally.

- Chinastan

May 26, 2018
Being factually wrong about shit is not a moral stand.
Correcting people about that stuff is not defending anything.
I have no idea why this thread is so fucking hostile, it's a native speaker telling you the translation is off, nothing more. You don't have to draw any political conclusion from that shit.
And as far as I can tell he's right, if you think he's making shit up or lying, call him up on that, otherwise, what's wrong with trying to better understand what Chinese leaders are actually saying?

It's not like their words matter all that much anyway, like, are you expecting Xi to do a "I'm a bad guy" speech like a James Bond villain?

Pretty sure China's front facing PR is a nonstop Bond villain speech about how powerful they are...

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"This is a metaphor" isn't "The translation is off". Nothing about the message was changed with regards to intent or context. That, and nobody in the thread was having any problems deciphering the intent or the message. Yet, the user jumped in telling us to not take a mass murderer "Literally" when he was telling us about all the mass murder he wanted to commit.

I'm gonna call a dude out if they think that's worth nitpicking over given the subject matter. They say "Choose your battles", and that was a battle that user chose. There aren't a lot of good reasons why someone would choose it.
I'm not sure what's the issue with them providing more context. There is no harm in knowing more. Or you think that this information would downplay this situation? Come the fuck on.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what's the issue with them providing more context. There is no harm in knowing more. Or you think that this information would downplay this situation? Come the fuck on.
Taking the time out of your day to write up "Don't take him literally" when nothing about the message fundamentally changes in the process is downplaying the situation, yes.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Taking the time out of your day to write up "Don't take him literally" when nothing about the message fundamentally changes in the process is downplaying the situation, yes.
Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
The Chinese language is heavily dependent on the use of idioms and metaphors. Translating them literally would be considered a mistranslation in any other context.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
The Chinese language is heavily dependent on the use of idioms and metaphors. Translating them literally would be considered a mistranslation in any other context.
Tell me what message there is here other than a mass murderer threatening more mass murder. I'll wait.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You don't see the value of understanding how people in China, the audience for this in the first place would perceive the message?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't see the value of understanding how people in China, the audience for this in the first place would perceive the message?
I think there's a time and place for that sort of thing. That time and place generally isn't a time and place that involves having to use the phrase "Don't take him literally" when referring to a mass murderer threatening mass murder.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"This is a metaphor" isn't "The translation is off". Nothing about the message was changed with regards to intent or context. Yet, the user jumped in telling us to not take a mass murderer "Literally" when he was telling us about all the mass murder he wanted to commit.

I'm gonna call a dude out if they think that's worth nitpicking over.
You imagining an intent that I don't think was there.
And by the way, I'm not saying China won't kill pretty damn indiscriminately to prevent their country from being split, everybody knows that they will. But I still think it's important to understand what message Xi is trying to get across, even if you only look at China in adversarial lenses.
Actually, especially if you do. We went through that with the USSR during the cold war, where people in the US who didn't fully understand Russian got some weird ideas based on poorly translated passages from random ass speeches (remember Kremlinology? that was some dumb shit), and I don't think not understanding the USSR was a great thing, and not because they were nice guys.

China frame their military PR bullshit as "defending the weak" and "keeping peace", like every country does.
For real, no country runs propaganda saying "we are the bad people and we're gonna do bad things to the world, muhahahaha".

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think there's a time and place for that sort of thing. That time and place generally isn't a time and place that involves having to use the phrase "Don't take him literally" when referring to a mass murderer threatening mass murder.
I get where you're going with this. I mostly agree. But I don't think there's anything wasted on adding to the context. It's not like anything is being accomplished here to begin with. We're just discussing the issue and no one here is empowered to do anything about it.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
94PkBiE.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
something something racist if you oppose china and the gov't
No one ever said that, don't be a disingenuous asshole because people called you out for wanting deportations of Chinese people.

On topic, this is definitely an intentional callback to Tiananmen Square. Sickening rhetoric, I fear for the people of Hong Kong.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
China frame their military PR bullshit as "defending the weak" and "keeping peace", like every country does.
For real, no country runs propaganda saying "we are the bad people and we're gonna do bad things to the world, muhahahaha".
I'd like to believe people on here are aware of all that bullshit. Doesn't change that part of what's needed to be understood is how the message is perceived over there.

Edit: reading what you responded to kitsune seems like we're on the same page. Propaganda was a fascinating thing to study in my university classes. No matter how fucked up it is.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You imagining an intent that I don't think was there.
And by the way, I'm not saying China won't kill pretty damn indiscriminately to prevent their country from being split, everybody knows that they will. But I still think it's important to understand what message Xi is trying to get across, even if you only look at China in adversarial lenses.
Actually, especially if you do. We went through that with the USSR during the cold war, where people in the US who didn't fully understand Russian got some weird ideas based on poorly translated passages from random ass speeches (remember Kremlinology? that was some dumb shit), and I don't think not understanding the USSR was a great thing, and not because they were nice guys.
...The message is "I am threatening to kill a lot of people if I don't get my way".

No one said he isn't threatening it.

Don't forget this started because you accused another poster of defending Xi just because he wanted to provided some nuance to the translation.
No. This started because the poster in question said "Don't take him literally". You're forgetting that my post was a response, and I would highly encourage you to read my responses to the other members here. We're directly discussing the merit of "providing some nuance to the translation", as you put it. I'm not having this conversation repeatedly at several different stages with several different people. Things will get messy and it's on you to keep up. Otherwise you'll just overwhelm me and there won't be any merit to any discussion at all.

I get where you're going with this. I mostly agree. But I don't think there's anything wasted on adding to the context. It's not like anything is being accomplished here to begin with. We're just discussing the issue and no one here is empowered to do anything about it.

I believe what we say to each other as a society matters. There's a reason why countries like Russia spend millions trying to influence the sort of online discussions we're having. Believe it or not, it does make a difference, and it is at least slightly important. The kind of conversations we engage in and the way we talk about things is the way our society projects itself onto the world.

"It's the internet so it doesn't matter" has been a bunk concept for a very very long time.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
No. This started because the poster in question said "Don't take him literally". You're forgetting that my post was a response, and I would highly encourage you to read my responses to the other members here. We're directly discussing the merit of "providing some nuance to the translation", as you put it. I'm not having this conversation repeatedly at several different stages with several different people. Things will get messy and it's on you to keep up.
I have kept up.
"Things will not end up well for you" vs "Your body will be crushed and your bones will be shattered" are two completely different messages.
So yeah, nuance is pretty fucking important.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
...The message is "I am threatening to kill a lot of people if I don't get my way".

No. This started because the poster in question said "Don't take him literally". You're forgetting that my post was a response, and I would highly encourage you to read my responses to the other members here. We're directly discussing the merit of "providing some nuance to the translation", as you put it. I'm not having this conversation repeatedly at several different stages with several different people. Things will get messy and it's on you to keep up. Otherwise you'll just overwhelm me and there won't be any merit to any discussion at all.

I believe what we say to each other as a society matters. There's a reason why countries like Russia spend millions trying to influence the sort of online discussions we're having. Believe it or not, it does make a difference, and it is at least slightly important. The kind of conversations we engage in and the way we talk about things is the way our society projects itself onto the world.

"It's the internet so it doesn't matter" has been a bunk concept for a very very long time.
Ok fair point here on the Russian bots and such. But I don't think anyone here is on the verge of defending the CCP.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have kept up.
"Things will not end up well for you" vs "Your body will be crushed and your bones will be shattered" are two completely different messages.
So yeah, nuance is pretty fucking important.
The threat is still murder. "Two completely different messages" my ass.

Ok fair point here on the Russian bots and such. ButnI don't think anyone here is on the verge of defending the CCP.

At this point I'm going to sound like I'm hung up on this but "Don't take him literally" when the supposedly more nuanced translation doesn't actually change the message or the way it's recieved struck me as borderline finding-an-excuse-to-well-actually in a way that didn't sit well with me as far as intent goes. I wouldn't say that's a straight up defense of the CCP though. I probed the user about it because it felt a bit off.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's more "you will fail" than "I will murder you and crush your bones".
Now obviously, "you will fail" has an implicit threat of violence beyond it, but I think the language here is also important, because of nothing else, it can tells you how much Xi Jianping wants to heat up the conflict with the US, which I don't think that he does, at all.
It's not the most important point in the world, and I'm not sure why you're treating a new piece of information that you had no reason to know as an attack on your political beliefs or whatever.

And I really don't think there is a reason for your hostility toward other posters on this issue. You honestly think there are people here who are supporters of mass murder?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

The message is one of extreme violence. The fact that it is a calling card to the Tiananmen massacre makes the words even more purposeful. Everyone understands. I also don't think you should be speaking on behalf of how China as a whole would perceive a violent speech. You can say how you see the message but i bet there are others in China that think of the massacre and get chills.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the most important point in the world, and I'm not sure why you're treating a new piece of information that you had no reason to know as an attack on your political beliefs or whatever.
I think you're projecting here, or engaging in bad faith. One or the other.

And I really don't think there is a reason for your hostility toward other posters on this issue. You honestly think there are people here who are supporters of mass murder?

When I read something someone is posting about, and stated intent vs what they're actually saying seem to misalign, I think a person is at least either misguided or dishonest. That's a far cry from "Supporters of mass murder", but I appreciate the effort.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, think about this.

If it's correct the message is "If you try to divide China you will be sorry", that it's an understandable message coming from a rational actor.

The translation was made with the intent to suggest he said, "If you tried to divide China we will crush your bones with our tanks and bathe in your blood", who sound line a bit lunatic.

While you might suggest that there no difference there is quite a bit of difference, look no further than in this thread

No he isn't. A rational leader moves slowly and deliberately and even if they see pushback they are measured. This statement from him is not measured, it's unhinged. Also NK was basically closed off from the world whereas China is very connected. A long term violent tyranny in NK is nothing like one developing in China. Chinese businesses do not want to be in a North Korea.

If you want a discussion on the topic it helps to have the correct context.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, think about this.

If it's correct the message is "If you try to divide China you will be sorry", that it's an understandable message coming from a rational actor.

The translation was made with the intent to suggest he said, "If you tried to divide China we will crush your bones with our tanks and bathe in your blood", who sound line a bit lunatic.

While you might suggest that there no difference there is quite a bit of difference, look no further than in this thread

Xi is a mass murderer. The language he used invoked past instances of state sponsored violence. Spare me this garbage. I'll quote you this post for context, if you missed it.

The message is one of extreme violence. The fact that it is a calling card to the Tiananmen massacre makes the words even more purposeful. Everyone understands. I also don't think you should be speaking on behalf of how China as a whole would perceive a violent speech. You can say how you see the message but i bet there are others in China that think of the massacre and get chills.