• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
From the man who thought it would be a good idea to have The Bar ruin a Kofi vs. Seth Rollins title-for-title match on the Raw after Wrestlemania.

ESPN said:
On extra points, teams can choose whether to go for a one-point conversion from the 2-yard line, a two-point try from the 5-yard line or a three-point attempt from the 10-yard line.

"We literally have a nine-point touchdown. We think that's valuable because teams that historically are down by let's say three scores, well guess what, if it's a 16-point or a 17-point differential, you're really looking at a two-score game theoretically," he said.

The XFL's overtime rules are currently being tested in the Spring League. Luck said each team will have five opportunities to convert a two-point conversion in the overtime session. The defense would score one point with a turnover.

Forty-four players will be on the field at the same time in the overtime session, with both team's offenses and defenses on opposite ends of the field.

Still in the testing phase, but still.

zznRdPU.gif

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
44 players is a good start, but I won't be interested until they figure out the football version of battle royals and ladder matches.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, the shootout idea seems like a good idea to experiment with.

Oct 27, 2017
Forty-four players on the field is going to be chaos.
edit: Wait, they're at opposite ends of the field. I don't know how this is going to work for referees - just half of them at each end I guess.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't you have to pay twice as many refs to run offense and defense of both teams at the same time?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
44 players on the field at once in OT ... what the fuck is that supposed to accomplish other than a massive confusing shit show?

"The XFL's overtime rules are currently being tested in the Spring League. Luck said each team will have five opportunities to convert a two-point conversion in the overtime session. The defense would score one point with a turnover. "

These rules dont' make sense.

The more ridiculous rules the league has, the more opportunity to fail. An XFL does not have to be the anti-NFL like the last one, that's one of the reasons it failed. The AAF Failed as well, but those rule changes helped the game... things like only being able to bring 5 rushers improved the quality of offensive play dramatically, something that was terrible in the XFL (QBs were bad, WRs couldn't catch poorly thrown balls, lack of defensive penalties made it worse, unwatchable, where as AAF was still largely watchable).

With the scoring rules, who knows, maybe they're fine, but often times more scoring opportunities does not make better games. I experience this at an arena football game last year, where the home team was up by 10 with 0 seconds left in the game and the game still went to overtime. There was a dead ball foul so the clock ready zero, but the offense still had the ball with 1 play left. They scored a TD on that play, got the two point conversion, and then on the kickoff there's a rule that if they ckick through the uprights it's two points, and because of that rule, play continued for the kickoff... which the opposing kicker made, game went to OT. It was all just incredible arbitrary and 95% of the ~500 fans in the building just wanted the game to end to go home.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This will be worth watching a few games for but I'm sure the novelty will wear off almost as quickly as the last time the XFL started up.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Two teams playing half-court football (in OT) is certainly a new idea. I don't know if it's a good idea. Can you return a two point conversion like you can in the NFL, or is the ball effectively dead on a successful interception or fumble recovery? I presume the latter with the 44-man rule.

And how do you manage the extra point vs two point scenarios? Are there going to regular PATs? If so, which yard line are they set up at (1, 2, or 3)? Can you audible out of a PAT into a 2- or 3-point conversion? How does that work?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
All I had to read was 44 players on the field....

Fuck the XFL. Fuck the owners who let the AAF collapse. Fuck the NFL.

Long live baseball. I'm already tired of hearing about football and its APRIL.

(this is mostly a post about how if I hear the word "manning" one more time I might pop the hood of my car and start cutting wires until the sounds stop. )

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The forum wouldn't let me open this thread unless I clicked the "Jump to First Post" arrow. What a weird hiccup

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People make fun of Vince for this, but what's the point of being dirty fucking rich if you can't spend your money on fulfilling your stupid fantasies? More old ass rich people need to spend their money instead of just hoarding it. Seems pointless to have it otherwise.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
They should allow 44 players on the field during regulation time if a certain player racks up enough injuries to the other team. A bonus like a kill streak in COD

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god. 44 on the field at once? Ok so this gonna be like battle royale + NFL blitz during OT? Holy shit someone is going to end up getting seriously hurt or killed. You KNOW some jerk is going to run full blast from the 2 and try to cream the ball carrier with everything he has

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Two teams playing half-court football (in OT) is certainly a new idea. I don't know if it's a good idea. Can you return a two point conversion like you can in the NFL, or is the ball effectively dead on a successful interception or fumble recovery? I presume the latter with the 44-man rule.

And how do you manage the extra point vs two point scenarios? Are there going to regular PATs? If so, which yard line are they set up at (1, 2, or 3)? Can you audible out of a PAT into a 2- or 3-point conversion? How does that work?

On extra points, teams can choose whether to go for a one-point conversion from the 2-yard line, a two-point try from the 5-yard line or a three-point attempt from the 10-yard line.

As for overtime, it says the defense scores one point with a turnover. So I guess they blow the play dead once a turnover happens and give them the point.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I guess since they can't do the same rules as before, they might as well throw the kitchen sink at it. The XFL is the dumbest shit.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, as someone who couldn't give a shit about most sports, especially football, more especially the NFL, and never once watched a wrestling match...

I loved the XFL.

I also loved Dennis Miller commentary during NFL games.

I'm part of the problem, I guess, but I'm thrilled for the XFL. I like "it's so stupid but sure why not" kinda stuff.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds cooler than the No Fun League
No it doesn't. It sounds like an awful mess.

People make fun of Vince for this, but what's the point of being dirty fucking rich if you can't spend your money on fulfilling your stupid fantasies? More old ass rich people need to spend their money instead of just hoarding it. Seems pointless to have it otherwise.

Donate it to a charity. Give your WWE workers health insurance. Etc. Not some pointless endeavor that will fold in a year. Not to mention they're only going to hire "quality individuals" to play and what that entails.