• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Are they getting benefits? I don't see the details but the math sounds like 3-5k per week for 10 weeks, Not sure about that at all. It's all made worse buy how much the QB get paid.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
While I would run through walls to potentially make ~$50k in a 10 week period, the QBs making nearly a million at the same time is some serious bullshit.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not good, but I think a lot of folks don't realize how bad the pay is for minor leagues, low level boxers/fighters, etc.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck is the base Salary only 27k? I used to make that at one of my first jobs in 2003....

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably call it an amateur league until high caliber players are choosing the xfl over the NFL.

And to be clear, I'm not saying these players don't deserve more than 27k, I'm just saying that it's 27k over the course of a few months. Some people in this thread are trying to compare it to 27k per year, which it's not.
How good they are has nothing to do with whether it's a pro league or not. There are bad, cheap, and mediocre pros in every industry all over the world.

A bad professional sports league is still a professional sports league.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Also seems people don't know how much minimum wage actually is.
We hire for 15+ bucks an hour at my job with no experience. By 2021, that'll be the statewide standard (NY). With 40 hours a week, that's 31K+ and people aren't actively trying to rip your head off your body, either. It might not be country-wide minimum wage, but it's definitely the minimum at a lot of places.

For the curious, you can find the current minimum wages by state here:
https://www.minimum-wage.org/wage-by-state

Side note:
I remember many moons and jobs ago when I was making 16 an hour as a supervisor. Now any asshole with no experience can roll out of bed and make 15. lol

$27k is literally the starting pay for a full time team member at Target, and next year it will be $31k. You don't get concussions doing that either.
Dat Black Friday though..

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get why Vince is trying this again. No way it's not doa.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Playing pro football is like signing up to bang your skull against a brick wall professionally. On top of that you need to travel to different brick walls across the country. Anyone joining up for those salaries I feel very sorry for them

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it actually be far above minimum wage? They are getting 27k for ten or so weeks of work. That's not bad at all considering this is an amateur league.

Nah, that's pretty terrible considering time and expenses associated with traveling, the fact that maintaining your body in a physical shape to play football takes a great deal of commitment, and also you're playing a sport that at best, is still going to knock you around and at worst, is going to give you injuries where you won't be working anywhere while healing.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Hahahahaha I dunno how much fucking up your body and your brain is worth. But it ain't that

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Yall fools weren't around the last time? U think this mother fucking piece of shit Vince gonna change? U dumb as fuck if yall think this xfl bullshit would succeed

Nov 9, 2017
It seems like no one wants to risk anything serious on the XFL (makes total sense btw) Either its a surprise hit and everyone can start to make a little coin going forward, or it fails like all the rest of them and people will cut their losses by Week 3 and move on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The last time the XFL was around, how many of those guys made it to the NFL based on their play in the XFL? Tommy Maddox, He Hate Me, and like a handful of others?

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The AFL and XFL pay is whack. I'd assume at least 150-175k
How do you assume that? Like the AAF had such little funding that they didn't even pay the stadium contracts when they folded.

You figure they had 8 teams with 75 players on them. To even pay them $50k requires $30mil up front. Not including costs like taxes or insurance (which they didn't have but I digress.) This also doesn't include pay for any club personnel, coaches, trainers, etc.

That money goes quickly. These leagues are *not* the NFL in terms of money. And the deal is if you're a player that can't hack it in the pros, you're still going to get paid $50k (in this hypothetical) for about six months of work. There are a lot of people out there who would love that, and it's more than you're going to make playing in a beer league after work

I don't begrudge these players saying the money isn't worth their time. And if they were lied to then that sucks as well. But I'm not really seeing where people expect these leagues to start off by paying everyone six figures before there's even been a snap of football played yet.

Now if this league proves to be extremely profitable like the NFL? Then yeah these guys deserve a cut for being the talent on the field. I just am not ready to crush the league on player salary when nobody even knows if there's money to be had here to begin with.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
That money goes quickly. These leagues are *not* the NFL in terms of money. And the deal is if you're a player that can't hack it in the pros, you're still going to get paid $50k (in this hypothetical) for about six months of work. There are a lot of people out there who would love that, and it's more than you're going to make playing in a beer league after work

I don't begrudge these players saying the money isn't worth their time. And if they were lied to then that sucks as well. But I'm not really seeing where people expect these leagues to start off by paying everyone six figures before there's even been a snap of football played yet.

CTE is not worth 5 figures.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
CTE is not worth 5 figures.
Well, not to you. Not to me, either. But to a lot of those guys it is. And they're not playing with the assumption of being injured but with the attempt to reclaim glory they last felt in high school or college. McMahon is doing what he does with wrestling— making money off of people chasing glory.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How do you assume that? Like the AAF had such little funding that they didn't even pay the stadium contracts when they folded.

You figure they had 8 teams with 75 players on them. To even pay them $50k requires $30mil up front. Not including costs like taxes or insurance (which they didn't have but I digress.) This also doesn't include pay for any club personnel, coaches, trainers, etc.

Now if this league proves to be extremely profitable like the NFL? Then yeah these guys deserve a cut for being the talent on the field. I just am not ready to crush the league on player salary when nobody even knows if there's money to be had here to begin with.

I'd never even heard of AFL until this thread

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I'm familiar with arguments like these. It's a bit like selling a car with hand-carved wooden interior accessories and whatnot. I understand why the price on something like that has to be what it is, but that doesn't change the calculus on whether I want it for that price.

I totally get why the XFL pays what it does. But if they can't pay more, then they'll probably keep losing players. And they don't have many good ones anyway. The first weekend will likely see injuries (such is the nature of the game), and that means a lighter paycheck.

So there's a bit of "cart before horse" here too. The league wants to pinch pennies until they see some return, but a cheapskate league is doomed from day one. Talent for the bad NFL teams is already hard to watch; the AAF was straight up painful. How many good players (hell, even just mediocre) are going to risk permanent injury for $27K?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get the jokes but comparing full year worth of shitty retail work to 10 games of football seems weird. Pay still shit though.