• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love living in LA and not even having them as an option. spectrum has been decent to me. would never use a service with a data cap. would rather have worse speeds

Nov 18, 2020
Comcast is disgusting. Suddenly imposing data caps where they managed for months just fine under federal orders....it really demonstrates that those orders need to be permanent. It's obvious this is nothing more than a sheer profit grab in monopolistic markets.

In Florida, Comcast was legitimately the only option available for our condo. Why can't the government ensure they don't abuse their power?

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
I won't defend data caps as they are clearly arbitrary cash grabs, but in PA at least the unlimited plan through them is incredibly reasonable in price compared to competitors with unlimited data at the same speed.

I only say this so others who are worried about the data cap know they should, in theory, be able to switch to the unlimited plans they offer without it being too much of a pain. I had a mild panic attack when they announced this and had to confirm with customer service that my plan was indeed unlimited. I don't know what people in other states typically pay but $80 a month for unlimited gigabit felt fine to me (since I used to pay $80 a month for 250mb/100mb a few years ago through FiOS).

Regardless though, data caps suck and shouldn't be a thing.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I personally never exceeded the cap but if you're working from home with constant video communications with employers, fuck this. :(

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
In California and have been dealing with Comcast's data caps for a while now. There's a workaround where if you connect via the "xfinity hotspot", that data usage does not count against your monthly data cap. I put all the tablets and any video streaming device on it.

I still had a courtesy month to use and knew this month was going to be loaded, so I went all out. lol

Nov 18, 2020
Xfinity sucks...but the bill will not go up $100...at max $30, if they choose to switch to unlimited...it's all bullshit Xfinity nonsense...but let's not exaggerate the cost...

Approximately 9% of USA households use >1.2 TB each month. It will push lots of people into upgrading to unlimited in those markets, making it a $360 / year price increase for the same quality of service.

And because it's considered an "extra add-on" for a "data capped plan" it's subject to random price increases on a whim. They won't honor grandfathered plans like most ISPs.

Maybe next year it will be $50 a month for the privilege of unrestricted Internet access. Reminds me of the nonsense they do here with "preferred rent" and "legal rent" on leases.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Approximately 9% of USA households use >1.2 TB each month. It will push lots of people into upgrading to unlimited in those markets, making it a $360 / year price increase for the same quality of service.

And because it's considered an "extra add-on" for a "data capped plan" it's subject to random price increases on a whim.

Maybe next year it will be $50 a month for the privilege of unrestricted Internet access. Reminds me of the nonsense they do here with "preferred rent" and "legal rent."
Of course it's bullshit...my point was that saying it's an immediate $100/month increase is needlessly exaggerating.
I agree...the idea of data caps is complete and total nonsense...but we don't need to make up numbers to explain the shitty impact of this.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I won't defend data caps as they are clearly arbitrary cash grabs, but in PA at least the unlimited plan through them is incredibly reasonable in price compared to competitors with unlimited data at the same speed.

I only say this so others who are worried about the data cap know they should, in theory, be able to switch to the unlimited plans they offer without it being too much of a pain. I had a mild panic attack when they announced this and had to confirm with customer service that my plan was indeed unlimited. I don't know what people in other states typically pay but $80 a month for unlimited gigabit felt fine to me (since I used to pay $80 a month for 250mb/100mb a few years ago through FiOS).

Regardless though, data caps suck and shouldn't be a thing.
It's an additional $12-15 a month (area dependent? I think it was $12 for us) to get unlimited if you are already on their higher plans that include a docsis 3.1 gateway. It still sucks, but at least it's better than an additional $50 a month

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I had the 1 TB data cap with Comcast for 7 years. They only recently made it 1.2 TB. Welcome to hell bois.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I really wish this practice would be banned by lawmakers in the US. It's anti-consumer & so nonsensical on its face. As if "data" is a scarce or finite resource that we will one day run out of.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking sucks so much. In Colorado I've had a data caps forever, and Comcast is my only choice because of speeds offered (century link only offers 40mb to my house). I just had to pay for unlimited day from Comcast, an extra 30 fucking dollars a month because with you tube tv and my wife and I working from home (plus gaming downloaded and updates, Netflix at 4k) I'm using 1.4 TB a month at least.

Their whole "1.2TB is plenty for 95% of our customers!" Is a fucking lie. That might have been true in 2010 but certainly not in 2020.

If you are in this boat you pretty much have to buy unlimited because it's 10 dollars per 50gb over your cap, up to 100 extra a month. Fucking garbage.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I went over this month with downloading games for my series X. So I'm going all in and taking full advantage of my "courtesy month." This is still bullshit though.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This is dire news for anyone who has a new digital console (with a small HDD) or who streams 4k movies.

Centurylink (who I use in Denver) had a lifetime lock in rate for Gigabit internet service, so I pounced on that a year or so ago.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Their whole "1.2TB is plenty for 95% of our customers!" Is a fucking lie. That might have been true in 2010 but certainly not in 2020.

I really want to see what average usage has turned into during 2020, with so many working from home. WFH pushed me from averaging 1TB a month pre-COVID to 2.5-3TB now. But it's cool, Comcast gave us 200GB more for free!!!!!

Luckily Denver is finally starting down the road of creating its own public internet utility with ballot measure 2H passing.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
California had their laughable data caps for a long time. We used them in my household for many years, there was resistance to switching due to the bundled TV service, but due to the rise of streaming that finally became a moot issue.

I ditched them for unlimited gigabit fiber and my life has been pure joy since.

I know people have shit for choice in a lot of areas. I'm sorry. More providers need to step up and fill the need.

Do everything you can to not support this practice. Only use them if it's literally the only good choice in your area. Educate yourself about the more indepedent ISPs in your city/county/state, you might be surprised about what's out there.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Was only a few years ago where data caps weren't there or enforced. It's so fucked up how comcast and ATT just added it. Even more that it seems to be just the US doing this.

Nov 18, 2020
This fucking sucks so much. In Colorado I've had a data caps forever, and Comcast is my only choice because of speeds offered (century link only offers 40mb to my house). I just had to pay for unlimited day from Comcast, an extra 30 fucking dollars a month because with you tube tv and my wife and I working from home (plus gaming downloaded and updates, Netflix at 4k) I'm using 1.4 TB a month at least.

If you are in this boat you pretty much have to buy unlimited because it's 10 dollars per 50gb over your cap, up to 100 extra a month. Fucking garbage.

The people who this will hurt the most are the poor families who think they use a lot less data than they really do, so they don't think they need the unlimited addon. Like maybe a family where the son just got a PS5 and downloads a bunch of games onto it, and they watch a lot of 4K Netflix that month, and all of a sudden their Internet bill is $80 higher. It really does blindside people who aren't tech-savvy, and lulls them into a false sense of security.

Last edited:

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got off the phone with them. They made it sound like this is a feature they are introducing. Told me I could pay even more for unlimited. I already pay 108 a month for just internet

I hope it rains for Thanksgiving wherever the CEO and Ajit Pai are.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the internet reserves are low. Ya'll need to stop syphoning all that data.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Just got off the phone with them. They made it sound like this is a feature they are introducing. Told me I could pay even more for unlimited. I already pay 108 a month for just internet

I hope it rains for Thanksgiving wherever the CEO and Ajit Pai are.
I pay under 80 a month for gigabit internet, no data cap from a local ISP. Comcast knows how to stick it to you, and they are getting away with it. I hope more people can get away from them.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Century Link is creeping Fiber closer and closer to my neighborhood over the past year and a half. As soon as they in range I'm fuckin out. Comcast is such garbo.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Century Link is creeping Fiber closer and closer to my neighborhood over the past year and a half. As soon as they in range I'm fuckin out. Comcast is such garbo.
congrats. I was counting down the days as well as fiber was going up in my neighborhood. It took close to two years from when I heard it was coming until it was finally available. But I jumped on immediately.

Nov 18, 2020
I pay under 80 a month for gigabit internet, no data cap from a local ISP. Comcast knows how to stick it to you, and they are getting away with it. I hope more people can get away from them.

Hell, I'm part of a giant ISP (Charter / Spectrum), and even I only pay a flat $89.99 each month after tax for unlimited Gigabit Internet. $108 for their 1.2 TB plan with an extra $30 on top of that for unlimited is criminal. Comcast is a special brand of evil.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Why do Data caps exist? Is there a technical reason or is it just to get more money?
100% money.

The best thing that happened to Canadian internet was Netflix. Our ISP's immediately killed unlimited (there was not many) and high data plans to a 60GB max to protect their TV offerings and went on a campaign to cause fear that the "internet will run out".

During the election this was picked up by one political party and almost immediately by the others as it was such a popular topic. Now we have unlimited offerings from almost every ISP

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I've had both...tbh...they are both garbage...the best I can say is that in areas where both are competitive, prices go down...but ugh...both companies are awful.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
This notion comcast keeps promoting that 95% of customers use under 1.2TB/mo is hard to accept. Two moderate users under the same roof will bump into that cap regularly. Now imagine a multi-person household... there is no way you're staying under 1.2TB these days.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
If Democrats cared about average citizens, making anti-comcast rhetoric as part of your platform would be such an easy win. Everybody hates comcast and it is such a simple way to curry favor with voters. They wouldn't even have to actually do anything. Just making it a campaign talking point would be effective.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I have two ISPs atm because I'm making a switch currently. On my new ISP I used about 950gb already, and on my old one I used over 630GB through my Xbox series x installs+updates. I can't imagine living with a cap and having to think about a cap

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Been between 5 and 800GB a month since WFH started. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pressure Biden's administration can apply to this if schools are remote and WFH continues.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I don't have comcast where I live, but I do remember from when I worked from comcast, that business class has no caps. I think they'll hit you up with a three year contract and yes you'll pay more for the same speed. On the positive side, I would assume they would do as well as their competitors and give you a specialized customer service line for when you run into outages.

I had comcast business class before I moved back to the Midwest. When our old neighborhood's internet went out I would call in and be able to setup a ticket for a truck to come out and check the node when there was only 1 call versus waiting for numerous complaints to come in from residential service.

Jun 10, 2018
Comca$h being shitty and anti-consumer as usual.

Mighty lucky for them FiOS isn't available where I live (yet), or we would've been made the switch.

Oct 27, 2017
There was/is? a rumor going around that Centurylink is going to do this in Dec for their gigabit offering - which I HOPE is not true. Its great and would suck here in PDX if true.

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a strange thing to have data caps. Put it this way... yes there is a lot of crap on the Internet but there is also a lot of good. You can learn so much by studying online, taking classes online etc. so effectively, Comcast is putting a cap on education