• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
One of the best. Just such a unique experience that still hasn't my been matched today.

God I would love a remake. Never going to happen.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Good game that was severily impacted by the lackluster second disk.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
My favourite game ever made. I wonder when a remake will happen so I can cry tears of joy.

Sep 20, 2020
Having not been introduced to Gundam, 13 year old me fell in love with the gears and their designs.

I wish the Blade series would do that again (I know there is X but didn't get around to it).

This game is probably why I dropped out of Computer Engineering to ultimately explore the psychological greats like Freud and his daughter, Jung and the modern day masters of psychological theories and techniques.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Masterpiece.... I haven't played the game in ages I might dig out my Vita where ever the hell it is.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Drew some Elly 🧡

Amazing game. Sans the sewers, and not Babel. But everything else is such a trip. It packs a lot of plot. I wish we'd see this game ported already (I feel I cant even use a wish on this being remade/remastered...blah).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
I can't really get into it without massive spoilers for both, but "Gears" do come back in XC1 and to a lesser extent XC2.

I've played and beaten both one and two and get the spiritual connections to Gears/Saga and the literal connections between x1 and x2. I meant playered controlled gears. I love X1 far more than X2 but both are just not the same. I enjoyed Saga series but the AWGS still weren't a fulfilling replacement to Gears.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
I admired Xenogears from afar when it came out. I was too young to have the money to buy it, and it was really rare too iirc. Finally picked it up in 2008, and didn't beat it until 2010. It is my favorite RPG, perhaps my favorite game ever. I'd give most anything to see it re-released fully realized. Probably never will happen, but a guy can dream.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I've played and beaten both one and two and get the spiritual connections to Gears/Saga and the literal connections between x1 and x2. I meant playered controlled gears. I love X1 far more than X2 but both are just not the same. I enjoyed Saga series but the AWGS still weren't a fulfilling replacement to Gears.

Cool, just making sure you knew, and yeah I agree. I happen to prefer X2 but either way Xenoblade is the methadone to my Xenogears heroin, if you will.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the two games that made me learn english. Played Chrono Cross and Gears with a big ass english/french dictionary by my side. It's also the game that made me start drinking coffee because I wanted to play all night before going to class... Oh god I was a mess. I remember falling asleep in the sewers, waking up two hours later, game still running, and continued playing until dawn. That wasn't healthy

Daaamn that's beautiful
Also I wanted to ask you where your avatar was from but now I realize you're the one who drew it 😄
Amazing use of colors
Liked, followed, etc.

mdzapeer

May 8, 2018
I really love the game. One of the best Jrpgs, but as i grow older I realize the plot could have been better told, as in it didn't need to be so...dense i guess?

I prefer Xenosaga's story telling, but the overall story is better in Xenogears.

Also any ROM hack to speed up the dialogue boxes? Always puts a brake on any replay urges.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of the two games that made me learn english. Played Chrono Cross and Gears with a big ass english/french dictionary by my side. It's also the game that made me start drinking coffee because I wanted to play all night before going to class... Oh god I was a mess. I remember falling asleep in the sewers, waking up two hours later, game still running, and continued playing until dawn. That wasn't healthy

Daaamn that's beautiful
Also I wanted to ask you where your avatar was from but now I realize you're the one who drew it 😄
Amazing use of colors
Liked, followed, etc.

Shucks Nikus, followed right back. Looks like I get additional kitty pictures and cool game shares. x)

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Still the greatest story ever told and my number 1 game of all time.

One of my greatest wishes in life is for Squenix to make an anime series adaptation of it since a remake seems highly unlikely.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Great game, but it felt way too long. Despite it's drop in quality in disc 2, I welcomed how much quicker the game ended.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish this game was re-released everywhere. c'mon square enix. At least they remember it exists with the Bring Arts.
938267d10ce5dac4a6b4fc6ce95051b7_640_640.jpg

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Drew some Elly 🧡

Amazing game. Sans the sewers, and not Babel. But everything else is such a trip. It packs a lot of plot. I wish we'd see this game ported already (I feel I cant even use a wish on this being remade/remastered...blah).

Said it before but your art is spectacular. Elly is my favourite character so this made me really smile.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they releases an updated version with text speed adjustment and turning off random battles

My god

ETA: that elly piece is stunning

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
The game's storyline blew my teenager self away back in the day.
It should be obvious that the game had a huge impact on me.
The soundtrack still blows me away every time I listen to it. Such a timeless masterpiece.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This thread reminded me that I've never played Xenogears, but also that I never purchased it from the PS Store. So I bought it to play on my Vita and VitaTV. Thank you for the reminder!! One day I'll get to it! I couldn't afford it when it released back in the day, so I never got around to it :(

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
This thread reminded me that I've never played Xenogears, but also that I never purchased it from the PS Store. So I bought it to play on my Vita and VitaTV. Thank you for the reminder!! One day I'll get to it! I couldn't afford it when it released back in the day, so I never got around to it :(

Holds up really nicely on the Vita IMO

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great game and a ridiculous holiday for videogames. Zelda64, MGS, Half Life and Xenogears all within a few months of each other.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still get feels when I think back on my first play through.

The music gives me flashbacks.

REMAKE THIS

Apr 19, 2018
That Fall was insane for U.S. Squaresoft releases. Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Bushido Blade 2, and Brave Fencer Musashi.

That, along with Metal Gear Solid in September, felt like the PSOne was truly firing on all cylinders.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Xenogears is a miracle of a video from both a storytelling and development perspective, it's aged far better visually than Final Fantasy VII.

I'm still waiting in anticipation for my Octopath Traveler style remake of the game. Come on Square Enix, give the people what they want.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I didn't mind the second disc. By the time I reached that point in the story, I didn't really care for the gameplay anymore. I just wanted to see how this crazy story would end.