• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If Squenix was at all interested in Xenogears aside from concerts and limited merch, they would have done something with it by now. Hell, they got Monolithsoft to help develop one of their games prior to Nintendo's purchase, which wound up being a FF7 spinoff. Best hope is that the original game is considered for a remaster, but that's really the only hope.
Then do that. If it sells do a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Damn, that really hurts. Xenogears was amazing, and even though I was a kid that shit had a pretty big impact on me. I remember I couldn't beat Id for shit, quit it for like a month or so, came back and beat him. The feeling I got was...wow

Oct 31, 2017
Good thing Square never made another Videogame movie since.

Cant wait for the article 10 years from now, that shows that Kingsglaive is the reason FF15 was a mess at the start, and never got its full story in the end either.

I mean, why else was the story barebones and low budget and with barely any CGI lol

Kingsglaive ruined XV

I hope Square Enix never makes another fucking movie again

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I still dont get why a videogame company thought opening a photorealistic film animation studio in hawaii was a good idea

I'm worried if Kojima is following the same fate. His eagerness in film industry is well-documented. While I love all of his games, I don't think his style of writing will translate well into a 2hrs movie.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
If Squenix was at all interested in Xenogears aside from concerts and limited merch, they would have done something with it by now. Hell, they got Monolithsoft to help develop one of their games prior to Nintendo's purchase, which wound up being a FF7 spinoff. Best hope is that the original game is considered for a remaster, but that's really the only hope.

Monolith Soft didn't have the clout of Xenoblade Chronicles back then. Times are different now, Square Enix can ride the success of the Xeno brand without having to face legal repercussions. And unlike Bandai Namco who developed Xenosaga directly with Monolith Soft, Square Enix can reintroduce Xenogears as a multi-platform title as it was developed before the incorporation of Monolith Soft.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
and there goes that wound, reopening

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Funny considering Xenogears is poor's man Neon Genesis Evangelion.

We only gained with Xenoblade. I'm sorry folks, someone had to say it.
thankyou.gif

Jesus, the hate people give to anime stuff in games then they laud Xenogears like some new messiah. The folks who were oozing constantly about NGE back then were the same exact people who were acting like Xenogears was hot shit.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that a lot of things didn't happen at Square because of Spirits Within. Then again the company has gone through arguably more difficult times after the Enix merger.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears came out in 1998 and spirits within came out in 2001.

If they were gonna do a sequel it would of already happend before then.

We got two FF sequels and a Saga Frontier sequel in that time.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You realized it was not for you after 35h hours?
I realized much sooner, but I stuck it with a bit more because I was told it got so much better, and also, I had paid for it. But at some point I just realized that I was wasting my time.

It's funny how people give me snark for actually giving it a fair shot though.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
thankyou.gif

Jesus, the hate people give to anime stuff in games then they laud Xenogears like some new messiah. The folks who were oozing constantly about NGE back then were the same exact people who were acting like Xenogears was hot shit.

"anime bad, except the anime knock off I like. That is great and totally not anime."

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
"anime bad, except the anime knock off I like. That is great and totally not anime."
More or less.

I still remember back in college when Adult Swim was starting and half the block was anime, the other a bunch of original stuff of varying quality (VB is fine, ATHF, ugh) but there were numerous people memeing "cuz anime is teh suck" and people legit arguing that anime shouldn't be on there... even though it was what was getting people, especially ones like me, to watch the block at all. And this mentality still exists with some of them.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus the vitriol towards Xenoblade in this thread. For fuck's sake this entire week has been so goddamn infuriating with this shit in multiple threads.

Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade they're all fucking great. Stop tearing the other one down with all this bullshit.

It fucking sucks that Xenogears 2 didn't happen and I wish SE would make that or remake 1.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
More or less.

I still remember back in college when Adult Swim was starting and half the block was anime, the other a bunch of original stuff of varying quality (VB is fine, ATHF, ugh) but there were numerous people memeing "cuz anime is teh suck" and people legit arguing that anime shouldn't be on there... even though it was what was getting people, especially ones like me, to watch the block at all. And this mentality still exists with some of them.
Its always funny to me that people think XC is "anime", while older xeno games were somehow not.
When i first saw Xenogears, long before Chronicles was a thing i initially thought it was a anime adaption to a mecha anime, then spent some time looking for a xenogears anime since i love mecha animes.

Diarrhea? Nope. I understand the pain, but it shouldn't be stinking.
I meant the actual post about Xenogears being discount NGE, not the edit.
You absolutely should not face diarrhea, that belongs on the other end if at all.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Did it really lose 94M or was it more like how many films don't show a profit which is why so many actors take a % of gross instead? Something about how the accounting is done iirc...

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That is absolutely heartbreaking. Instead of getting a sequel to one of my favorite games we got a suck ass CG movie. Can't be helped I guess.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I had no ill will towards The Spirits Within. In fact, I kinda have a nostalgic soft spot for the movie.

Until now.....

So it's The Spirits Within's fault that we eventually ended up with Xenoblade Chronicles 2.......

I'll never praise the film again.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
That's a damn shame. the arrogance of Squaresoft after the success of FFVII was really something else.

Ha! just checked and I still have the Spirits Within DVD. It's been like twenty years since I opened it. Though I try I can't remember anything about its plot. Guess I'll be watching this today.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Spirits Within marks a 10 year stretch that Square enix went to shit real fast and only recently they started to make a proper come back

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Xenosaga III is better than Xenogears, so the series could always improve. Shame we missed one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I love the deliberate obtuseness concerning anime in this thread. Like y'all don't know what everyone means by "anime", or that we can keep pretending that there isn't a massive difference between the anime style/tropes of Xenogears and what we have in Xenoblade games.

Please. It's like when someone disparages Fairy Tail as being "too anime" and the reply being "Well you like anime too, you're a Ghibli fan. CHECKMATE".

Jesus the vitriol towards Xenoblade in this thread. For fuck's sake this entire week has been so goddamn infuriating with this shit in multiple threads.
This is a really funny thing to say considering the first post who brought up Xenoblade was actually celebrating Xenogears "dying" for it:
Good. If Xenogears didn't fail then we wouldn't have gotten Xenoblade Chronicles.
But go off, I guess~

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Square had to be bought and then dissolved by Enix due to this movie's failure. A while ago, Square's former president called the merger a "complete failure" because Square Enix's stock price (which already included the old Square, Enix, Eidos, Taito, etc) never reached that of the old Square at its peak. Source

It's amazing how much Square was overvalued during their peak days. The movie gave everyone a much needed reality check.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Its always funny to me that people think XC is "anime", while older xeno games were somehow not.
When i first saw Xenogears, long before Chronicles was a thing i initially thought it was a anime adaption to a mecha anime, then spent some time looking for a xenogears anime since i love mecha animes.

I meant the actual post about Xenogears being discount NGE, not the edit.
You absolutely should not face diarrhea, that belongs on the other end if at all.
Feeling we should come up with another term for this: cognitive blinders. It's like the dissonance or bias but with even more focus!