• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spirits Within wasn't that bad of a movie. Generic sci-fi move they stuck the FF name on to sell but instead just pissed people off. Atrocious business idea that nearly killed Square if Enix didn't basically save them. The Aki Ross being an artificial actress idea was ahead of its time though...even though it never happened.

As for Xenogears 2, Square themselves were running on nothing until Enix merged with them and Monolith Soft was already founded and working on Xenosaga before Spirits Within was even released. This seems like a weird thing to say. It feels like it was a management problem at Square going into film and not necessarily Spirits Within since it didn't even have a chance to fail before they left.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Good thing Square never made another Videogame movie since.

Cant wait for the article 10 years from now, that shows that Kingsglaive is the reason FF15 was a mess at the start, and never got its full story in the end either.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Good. If Xenogears didn't fail then we wouldn't have gotten Xenoblade Chronicles.

Sometimes, you just need an unintentional sacrificial lamb to get the best reward.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
XVXEjfJ.png

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I still dont get why a videogame company thought opening a photorealistic film animation studio in hawaii was a good idea

I dunno, when CGI made that leap past uncanny valley and videogames began to use cd's and thus have room for tons of FMV a lot of companies lost their damn minds.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like that game needed a sequel to be honest. That said, I also really enjoyed the movie and it felt like the closest I was going to come to seeing Starcraft on the big screen. I just saw the ghosts as ethereal zergs. Good times.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The worst offender with Spirit within is it kinda disowned what was FF (to me at least, with the american, alien setting and no uematsu, even if Goldenthal did an awesome job) yet, as it failed badly, the consequence was "well people don't want a FF movie" while i'm pretty sure something FF worthy would have worked way better, and there is no real fantasy of that sort in movies. There was a real cultural difference to bring something there.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i could never watch this knowing what happened afterwards. Saw parts of it years ago on tv and it's hard to care.

they never stopped making CG movies, eh. FF7 Advent Children and Kingsglaive. They need FF7 to have some form of success here. Did KG do well?

Xenogears had to die so that we could get Xenoblade.

R.I.P us.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Reading the article, I like that he doesn't outright say what the headline (and thus this thread title) is saying. It's not hard to read between the lines, but they also had a lot of projects going for a while that were also canceled, most likely.
Spirits Within is a great movie, come at me.
Only to shake your hand bump elbows. It's fine. It's not super amazing but it's not a bad movie.

mdzapeer

May 8, 2018
I found the movie to be quite average, it had none of the Final Fantasy magic, I enjoyed Advent children complete more to be honest. I have no hate for the movie, but losing the gooch was a bad trade.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite sadness. Xenosaga and Xenoblade have come nowhere close to satisfy the itch that Xenogears left behind. In a way, Spirits Within killed the most promising era f Square, they were investing in a lot of ideas outside of just Final Fantasy

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel in a way that Nintendo buying Monolith is like destiny sometimes. So many things had to happen

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Eh...I enjoyed Spirits WIthin. Saw it in theaters and have the dvd somewhere. It's probably aged like ass at this point, but at the time, it looked pretty impressive. Advent Children later one-upped it by quite a bit, but at the time...

Also, one of the strange and most memorable bits to me is an extra on the DVD off all the characters doing the thriller dance together. It's bizarre.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within -- Thriller Spoof

One of the best features on the bonus DVD.

Ok, what's stopping them now? Give it to a new team. Do it in a retro look good you have to.
If Squenix was at all interested in Xenogears aside from concerts and limited merch, they would have done something with it by now. Hell, they got Monolithsoft to help develop one of their games prior to Nintendo's purchase, which wound up being a FF7 spinoff. Best hope is that the original game is considered for a remaster, but that's really the only hope.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Reopening a wound :/

I'd love if they somehow port Gears and Saga1-3 to ps4 or ps5 please. I dont need any changes. Just want them on a newer device