• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

To Skip or Not to Skip?

• I'm playing through the main game first!

Votes: 318 86.4%
  • I'm skipping straight to Future Connected!

Votes: 50 13.6%

• Total voters

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
All right Monado boys and girls,

To those of you who have played the original Xenoblade, will you be playing the main game or skipping right to the epilogue?

Looking at the preview thread, it seems that that Future Connected by itself is around 10-20 hours long. Does that impact your decision at all?

I'm personally Torn(a) because as much as it would make the most sense thematically to play through all over 100 hours of content in one burst, I'm having worrys the contents of the epilogue will get spoiled by the time I get to them. I got spoiled on the FF7R final boss and it ruined a bit of the shock of that for me.

On the flipside, I feel like they payoff of seeing one of my favorite games remade from the ground up, topped off with additional content would make me even more excited to play Future Connected.

Help make my decision easier, Era!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Main game first. I'll pick casual mode so I can blitz through the main campaign then start Future Connected. Then I'll play both again in Expert mode and 100% them.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm doing FC first here. I'm pretty much done with playing the 3DS version as my refresher and don't want to be spoiled.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Main game, it's been about 10 years. I want to get familiar with the characters again. I doubt they'll be much spoilers for the new episode, the main story is over and it's probably just a fun detour.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I'll play the main game first. The last time I played this game from start to end was on Wii 9 years ago. As an Epilogue, FC needs to be played after the ending and I forgot many details.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always baffled that people remember in detail the plot of a game they played 10 years ago. I'm going to start from the beginning because I remember very little of the story, to the point that I would be lost if I were straight to FC, lol.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always baffled that people remember in detail the plot of a game they played 10 years ago. I'm going to start from the beginning because I remember very little of the story, to the point that I would be lost if I were straight to FC, lol.

This is me. I only played it through once when it first came out. Definitely need a refresher. Plus with remasters/upgrades like these I always like to see if anything major has changed story-wise/item-wise/etc.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Doing the best part first.
Then I can try the future and back to the main game again to replay later.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, definitely helps in my particular case while I only played Xenoblade myself once, back when the Wii version came out, I've since watched multiple people play through it on Twitch and YouTube and stufff, including one person like just last year, so that definitely helps most of it to still be fresh.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Main game first for me. Been wanting to replay this for quite a while now, really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
jman0625

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I've played the Wii version once, and 3DS version twice. There're moments where I remember less than others, but feel I won't be terribly lost.

Main game, it's been about 10 years. I want to get familiar with the characters again. I doubt they'll be much spoilers for the new episode, the main story is over and it's probably just a fun detour.
I can see this having some pretty big implications for the future, if it's not just about connecting Xenoblades 1 and 2.

Main game first. I'll pick casual mode so I can blitz through the main campaign then start Future Connected. Then I'll play both again in Expert mode and 100% them.
This actually seems like a good call, may consider this

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I haven't played it but

Clearly they're going to tell more of the story of the connection between XBC1 and 2 as was revealed at the end of XBC2. Possibly there will be a set up for a XBC3. I don't expect anything huge though.
Xeno X is one of my favourite games of all time, if there is any small clue about a link between 1-2 and X I want to discover it by myself (or be disapointed by myself as my hope for a X definitive edition/sequel slowly fade away each year)

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I could just get Future Connected without the main game. Love the original, one of my favourite games of all-time, but I can't say I feel like replaying it now, or likely even in the next few years. And paying full price just to play the expansion is a bit...

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play it all again but I don't have the time. I'll be jumping straight into FC. I'll probably read the original plot synopsis to refresh my memory.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this having some pretty big implications for the future, if it's not just about connecting Xenoblades 1 and 2.
I know but we already know what happens in Xenoblade X and 2 so I doubt it can be a big spoiler, even if Xenoblade 2's architect shows up or they do an ambiguous cameo like 'Black Knight' I doubt they'll be an earth shattering spoiler.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm playing the main game first. I want to see how the changed character designs will reinterpret the story.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Main game first. It would be anticlimactic otherwise and I wanna see how they slightly retcon the ending.
I'll be too busy playing to risk bumping into spoilers online anyways lol

Oct 25, 2017
I played XC1 in late 2014, and I'm not sure I loved it nearly enough to replay it again so soon. It's a great game, but exhausting; I originally wound up running it down the main line because I didn't find the optional content to be all that engaging, and it still took me nearly 100 hours spread out over the course of months. I enjoyed it immensely but was glad to be done with it. That's what the Xenoblade brand is like for me generally; I've played all three main games plus Torna to the tune of hundreds of hours, and it's an annual fixture in my Nintendo calendar, and in spite of all that I'm still not really sure I like it enough to have logged that much time. When the day comes that I need to drastically reduce the number of games I play or series I follow—and that day is coming soon, if it hasn't arrived already—this is one of the first series that may sadly have to be dropped like ballast.

I definitely intend to grab DE for my permanent collection, since I never owned the original game (I played on a borrowed Wii disc since I missed out on acquiring one at a reasonable price), and it's wonderful to finally see a version that addresses some of the most glaring everyday issues with the game—the eyesore character models, the messy inventory UIs. But replays of extremely lengthy games are a difficult proposition for me these days even for games I adored originally, and will even be more difficult for me as the year proceeds. I still have Okami HD kicking around with two hours played, and even as someone who loved the original game and found the Switch version to be particularly fantastic by the standards of remasters/ports, I haven't been able to attend to it. It's even more difficult to justify that for Xenoblade when I already don't know if I'll be able to accommodate my incoming backer copy of W101.

On the other hand, it doesn't feel quite right to jump directly into Future Connected after all this time, without properly sinking into the new artwork and interface and refreshing myself on the particulars of the characters and story. I remember XC1 quite well, because I took extensive notes back when I played it and also wrote a lot about it on the old board, but it's one thing to process my memory of the game that way, and another to actually be drawn back into it. For all that I say about how XC1 was a game I admired with serious caveats, but didn't adore, seeing the environments and (especially) hearing the music in the DE trailers have given me a serious itch to experience it again, without the initial stumbling of learning the systems anew and making heads or tails of the old interface.

So: undecided. I'd prefer to play the main game first. But if it's impractical for me to replay the main game first, or if I just can't get back into it, I don't want that to be a reason not to play Future Connected. I'll see that much, if nothing else.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that they give you the option to do the epilogue first.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Main game first for me. Even though I only recently went through it on n3DS late last year, all the changes/updates are things I want to see for comparison's sake. Future Connected is something I don't even really know much about, so it's not the driving factor for me buying this game again.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Seriously ive been playing through several games recently no way can i beat for beat say the plot but i can recall most major events i think the oldest game i can recall the plot was 6 years ago

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It's a tough choice, but I think I'm going to do Future Connected first to minimize risk of spoilers. I'll definitely be playing the main story again too, though.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've waited so long for the original remake. So of course I am going for the main story first, even if I am so much familiar with it.

FC will be a better experience for me right after I finish the game than starting with it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I know what the OP says but yeah I haven't played the original and I bought 2 but didn't start it yet due to waiting to play through this one first.

I have A LOT of Xenoblade to be playing soon...

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
Going straight to Future Connected, then probably gonna hop right into a replay from there!

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I have a weirder issue, I played and loved XB2 but never got around to playing Torna, what to do....

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna play this modern masterpiece start to finish and then experience the new stuff. So happy Nintendo decided to do this.