• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
No, it is much more than that. I'm inclined to believe it is canon and nothing will make me think otherwise especially since in Future connected the Fog King
is a Gnosis. This is so easy to tell because nobody can damage it until Shulk appears to use the Hilbert effect. Since Monado enchant is gone it only makes the most sense that Shulk allowed the Fog King to be harmed by upgrading his Monado Rex and somehow he uses the Hilbert effect. If you know Xenosaga and how the Gnosis works then this is really easy to tell. Xenosaga and Xenoblade are connected for sure and it's not even a question anymore if a Gnosis appeared in FC.
the xeno series re-purposes plot points a lot, so I don't think it's fair to say

it's straight up a gnosis. The guldos presented in xenoblade 2 are mutated humans like how gnosis can mutate humans in xenosaga, however as far as we know, that's due to the brain chips/conduit and not really any sort of outside interference like the gnosis.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
the xeno series re-purposes plot points a lot, so I don't think it's fair to say

it's straight up a gnosis. The guldos presented in xenoblade 2 are mutated humans like how gnosis can mutate humans in xenosaga, however as far as we know, that's due to the brain chips/conduit and not really any sort of outside interference like the gnosis.

I agree, it's not quite certain that it's definitely a Gnosis. It could just be something similar. But I love that more and more people had that same feeling that I did.

Combined with the Conduit connecting a multiverse I am 90% convinced we're looking at a Xeno-verse. It's so exciting

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
XCDE sold better than I expected. Although, its eshop ranking has also dropped sharper than I expected. I don't it can keep up with 2.

Except XC2 + Torna have the best character writing in the series. Playing XCDE after 2 made it more apparent.
XCDE fixed several issues that I had with the original game that finally helped me play the game to completion. The ending and the build to it were my least favorite parts of the game. It's like they hit a certain point in the story and decided to just wrap it up. There isn't a very satisfying payoff to any of the characters and the final villain's dialog is so dumb. I think 2 is better pretty much across the board.

I was surprised to see how much is repurposed even between XB1 and XB2... and not just enemy designs, but themes and character arcs. So, I really don't think FC's ending points to anything about XB3 because of that. Similarities don't have any special meaning.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of 3, assuming it does keep a connection, I'd have to guess that since Xenoblade 1 takes place in the universe created by Klaus's experiment and Xenoblade 2 takes place in the world left behind by Klaus's experiment, with the indication that the Zohar/Conduit is a bridge to infinite other universes then I'm guessing Xenoblade 3 will take place in one of the other universes, and likely the one the Conduit/Zohar goes to at the end of Xenoblade 2 .

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Speaking of 3, assuming it does keep a connection, I'd have to guess that since Xenoblade 1 takes place in the universe created by Klaus's experiment and Xenoblade 2 takes place in the world left behind by Klaus's experiment, with the indication that the Zohar/Conduit is a bridge to infinite other universes then I'm guessing Xenoblade 3 will take place in one of the other universes, and likely the one the Conduit/Zohar fucks off to at the end of Xenoblade 2 .
the experiment didn't create a universe, it just flung people into random existing ones. And yes I think that's one of two possibilities for xenoblade 3 as well, the other being a prequel in morytha

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the experiment didn't create a universe, it just flung people into random existing ones. And yes I think that's one of two possibilities for xenoblade 3 as well, the other being a prequel in morytha
I was under the impression that

While there are other universes, the Xenoblade 1 universe was created by the experiment, and that's why Zanza, Meyneth, and Alvis were so powerful as opposed to just being transplanted there, because they were a part of its creation.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of anime genres, I rather see Monolith Soft stick to making JRPGs that are seinen sci-fi in tone. There are enough shounen JRPGs with ecchi elements in them as it is.

The developers has said they want to make a game that would be rated M / PEGI 18. That wouldn't be out of place for a potential Xenoblade X2.
hope they won't go full edgelord stupid with that. kinda think they would though

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I was under the impression that

While there are other universes, the Xenoblade 1 universe was created by the experiment, and that's why Zanza, Meyneth, and Alvis were so powerful as opposed to just being transplanted there, because they were a part of its creation.
I think that was the original intent with 1 but
it got retconned in 2, they were flung into existing universes. Zanza and Meyneth's power likely comes being Alvis's aegis drivers

hope they won't go full edgelord stupid with that. kinda think they would though

I hope they do, this series is at its height storywise when it's dark sci fi as opposed to fantasy IMO

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
The developers has said they want to make a game that would be rated M / PEGI 18. That wouldn't be out of place for a potential Xenoblade X2.

If I recall correctly Takahashi said he wanted to do something akin to Game of Thrones in tone, but that might not be related to Xenoblade(if it ever materializes).

Nov 17, 2017
Definitely proves the game can sell better in better circumstances (the original coming out at the end of the Wii's life and all the bullshit with the US release didn't help, nor did the second version being a New 3DS exclusive.)

I think the same thing would hold true for that other Xenoblade game that came out on Wii U....

JUST GIVE US XENOBLADE X SWITCH, MONOLITH SOFT!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

well, I do agree with you that it isn't certain that it absolutely 100% one but it could be a thematic link or something. Also, what do you make of Choco's 10th anniversary Xenoblade artwork? Why is the Zohar lighting up and shaped the exact same way like in Xenosaga?

xenoblade-chronicles-art-anniversary-2.jpg

You might say it is cause Choco worked on Xenosaga but I think there is something more to it. In fact I think the Xenoblade 3 protagonist is looking at all 3 protagonists from the other games and the friends in the back.

OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
What was the Japan vs. WW breakdown for XC2? This seems pretty lopsided for Global in comparison to Nintendo's other games
I could only find the breakdowns for Xenoblade 2's first two quarters (sources here and here):
December 2017: 0.26 million in Japan and 0.80 million overseas (1.06 million in total)
December 2017 - March 2018: 0.31 million in Japan and 1.01 million overseas (1.31 million in total)

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From operation rain fall to this... And it deserves.

After I've finished the remake, I went to the old place to see my post from the Wii version. I was in constant awe. I even forgot I had over 140 hours of playthrough. I couldn't 100% before because my Wii broke down, but this time I will.

I hope the next game can capture the feeling I had with the first. Both X and 2 only partially did that, and was very hit and miss.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
You might say it is cause Choco worked on Xenosaga but I think there is something more to it. In fact I think the Xenoblade 3 protagonist is looking at all 3 protagonists from the other games and the friends in the back.
That's an interesting theory.

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
Very happy to see Monolith and Xeno keep growing.
Sad to see the usual suspects already desperately trying to turn this into a sales race though.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hopefully (and I must mention, hopefully), XC:DE outselling XB2 (coupled with FE:3H outselling Awakening/Fates) could lead to the genre shifting away from prioritising fanservice over any sort of good storytelling or character writing.

This would be the hope. I don't often put much stock in video game sales as a "rah-rah, go massive corporation" type of thing, but I was really hoping Definitive Edition would outsell Chronicles 2 very much for this reason -- alongside the fact that it's one of the all-time JRPG greats. I love JRPGs, but it's tiresome to have to approach every new release wary of fanservice bullshit.

It is fair to say though that this was the first actual wide release of XC in North America. Being a limited late-Wii release, then a New 3DS exclusive, then a Wii U download title. Finally it got a decent audience to work with and it paid off.

Huh, I've made this same argument to dozens of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 defenders over the years and they've repeatedly assured me that the success of XC2 over the OG Xenoblade release had nothing to do with it releasing on the Nintendo Switch over the holiday season of 2017. Weird.

But mostly, as someone who's been around since Operation Rainfall and paid GameStop price-gouging prices for a Wii copy of Xenoblade way back when, it's really nice to see the OG find a bigger audience. I'm feeling more hopeful about whatever's next.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
One thing that is probably holding the series back at this point is the performance issues that have come up with the last two entries. It's an easy soundbite for folks to latch on to, and the specific issues are pretty off-putting.

As impressive as Definitive Edition is, it was developed at the same time as their current Xenoblade game so it's safe to say that their upcoming game is going to perform better on the Nintendo Switch.

Handheld mode for Definitive Edition is far better than 2 was so that in itself is a good sign.

This is amazing amazing news. It gives me hope that a Xenosaga remaster would really sell well.

I want a Xenogears remake in the Octopath Traveler style. Square Enix still merchandise from the property so we might as well get ourselves a revival of it.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what direction the next game will take will it try to be more of a sequel since 2 and the remake formed a solid identity? Will it be something almost entirely different and the series will go the way of FF?

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I'm so glad to see one of my favorite games sell this much!! Here's hoping for Xenoblade Warriors as well

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
This makes me tingly. Loved all 3 Xenoblade games, and In really enjoy Monolith's work--hope they continue to find success.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Really glad to see this. Monolithsoft deserve it.

Can't wait to see how they continue 1 and 2 with Xenoblade 3. And hopefully XCX Episode II sometime soon.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Having played XB2 first, and played XBDE recently after looking forward to it supposedly being better, it really wasn't much better in my eyes. Sorry -- that's not me trying to hate; I still enjoyed both games for what they were. But both the waifu pandering and objectification was absolutely there in XBDE, even if there wasn't a character as groan-worthy as Tora.

(1) Shulk has two women swooning over him, just as Rex does. It's actually almost the exact same dynamic, with one being unacknowledged and unrequited. In fact, Melia is only really respected in Future Connected.

(2) Sharla and Fiora's designs are just as ridiculously pandering as Pyra/Mythra/late game Nia. Truly -- in a game with extensive equipment appearance options, I struggled throughout to dress Sharla decently. And while it wasn't as difficult to find good options for Fiora, the fact remains that her blatantly pandering outfits are numerous and egregious.

Blades -- other artists' commissioned work -- are the biggest factor separating the quantity of pandering objectification in the two games.
Ok but that is not the topic I personally was talking about.
My problem is with how far it goes into shônen goofiness versus seriousness. Even then, it doesn't acknowledge it openly like 2.
It's a matter of limits.
Also I prefer X over both anyway.

I never really liked the 2 girls liking one character but in 2 it's more than 2 so again, it goes farther.

The future part might not have the thing you're talking about but lean on shônen again too much for its own good as if forgetting what Monolithsoft has been excelling with.

Tl;dr.
2 different topics :
1) sexualisation. I personally usually forget about it more easily if the game doesn't focus on it. It's not 1's strength but 2 just swims in it.
2) direction/degree of shônen (which is often refered as "too anime" hence the usual "but *** is anime too, which is not the point.
In terms of anime genres, I rather see Monolith Soft stick to making JRPGs that are seinen sci-fi in tone. There are enough shounen JRPGs with ecchi elements in them as it is.

THIS is exactly what I mean.
I'd be ok with medieval or any other type but please keep the damn excellent Monolith mood, the seriousness like in old ones or X (Xb 1 at least takes the story seriously overall but still lacks that mood overall). I don't mind jokes or light element, but it feels like suddenly the game are made for, who actually I don't know.

That's why I hope we at least have 2 series or new IPs from them if they ever wanted to only dwelve into uninteresting shônen/whatever tropes even more. Anything for people who like to be invested in something meaningful

I don't want fake maturity like blood and gore specifically, just a good serious mood and writing. Please...

Last edited:

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
All the Xeno-games are connected in the sense that Tetsuya Takahasi has spent his entire professional career essentially re-telling the same story over and over again.

No gamepad hardly would make much of a difference. Just map (heh) to a button and there you go. You could already play it exclusively on the gamepad anyway.
The Segment Map was designed around a touch interface. It won't work nearly as well with buttons. The other Xeno games weren't designed around interactive maps.

Not saying that I don't want X on Switch, but it won't be as simple as merely putting the map on a menu.
I was seriously just thinking about how well this sold.

So stoked Xenoblade's well on its way to becoming a bedrock Nintendo franchise!
The downside is, knowing the way Nintendo usually operates, Monolith will be stuck doing Xenoblade games forever.
XC3 will be anime.

No matter everyone's feelings about it.
But which kind of anime? That is the question.

I can live with that. I don't know if I can live with another Nopon party member though. Playing through the epilogue was brutal. Two fucking Nopon party members! The way this is trending we may get an all Nopon party. Kill me now.
I would say the Nopon jumped the shark in FC.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Bravo! So happy Monolith makes Bank, one of my favorite studios ever, now buy Xenogears ip and make my dream remake!!

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
Excellent news about the sales. Well deserved.

Related to Xenoblade but unrelated to sales: Has Nintendo said if they plan on releasing a new soundtrack for the game? I think one of the collector's editions had a sample CD but I'd love to get my hands on a full OST for this.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Excellent news about the sales. Well deserved.

Related to Xenoblade but unrelated to sales: Has Nintendo said if they plan on releasing a new soundtrack for the game? I think one of the collector's editions had a sample CD but I'd love to get my hands on a full OST for this.

XC2 and Torna both had a proper release so I presume it will happen at some point. Maybe a bit later due to COVID.

Re: next Xeno title. I want Takahashi's "violet, erotic, heavy" project to be a Xeno title. The world needs it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but that is not the topic I personally was talking about.
My problem is with how far it goes into shônen goofiness versus seriousness. Even then, it doesn't acknowledge it openly like 2.
It's a matter of limits.
Also I prefer X over both anyway.

I never really liked the 2 girls liking one character but in 2 it's more than 2 so again, it goes farther.

The future part might not have the thing you're talking about but lean on shônen again too much for its own good as if forgetting what Monolithsoft has been excelling with.

Tl;dr.
2 different topics :
1) sexualisation. I personally usually forget about it more easily if the game doesn't focus on it. It's not 1's strength but 2 just swims in it.
2) direction/degree of shônen (which is often refered as "too anime" hence the usual "but *** is anime too, which is not the point.

THIS is exactly what I mean.
I'd be ok with medieval or any other type but please keep the damn excellent Monolith mood, the seriousness like in old ones or X (Xb 1 at least takes the story seriously overall but still lacks that mood overall). I don't mind jokes or light element, but it feels like suddenly the game are made for, who actually I don't know.

That's why I hope we at least have 2 series or new IPs from them if they ever wanted to only dwelve into uninteresting shônen/whatever tropes even more. Anything for people who like to be invested in something meaningful

I don't want fake maturity like blood and gore specifically, just a good serious mood and writing. Please...
Xb1 is as shonen as shonen can get, the only thing it's missing is a tournament arc and a timeskip

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. kino/nene
  2. tatsu
  3. a sack of potatoes
  4. riki
  5. a sack of potatoes
  6. more sacks of potatoes
  7. the rotten potatoes under the sack of potatoes
  8. tora

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I only played a little 2. From what I gather, Tora is some type of otaku Nopon?

I will always hate Tatsu for being such a dumbass he
gets the PC killed and they are only saved because of the android plot twist.