• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
DD wasn't really mediocre. It didn't progress the series as much as I would have prefered but it still did quite a few improvements to both the battle and upgrade systems.

It did underperform though. I wish Camelot would remake the first two entries in any way, I would take anything at this point.
DD felt like a very long prologue.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For context

Xenoblade C2
Launch quarter: 1.06 vs. ending install base of 25.08m
L+1: 0.25
L+2: 0.11
L+3: 0.11

We don't have any more disclosure

We actually have. In an interview Takahashi stated that the game had sold 1.73M by March 2019. That means in L+4 + L+5 the game sold an additional 0.2M.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Turns out I wasn't that crazy to predict 1,5m lol. That was a bold prediction but the game did really great. I'm curious to see how much it'll sell lifetime.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Very, very good news. If this game outsells X2, then the series may be saved from all the anime shit.
Hopefully (and I must mention, hopefully), XC:DE outselling XB2 (coupled with FE:3H outselling Awakening/Fates) could lead to the genre shifting away from prioritising fanservice over any sort of good storytelling or character writing.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the games done well. Shows the series is still growing. Hopefully we get an XCX port along with XC3.

Please can we stop with the petty fights of which game is better or whether it deserves its success. Lets just be happy that the series is growing and doing well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
NO MUH NICHE GAME SERIES

It's fantastic to see XC1 finally getting a release that isn't weird and sales that are deserved.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully (and I must mention, hopefully), XC:DE outselling XB2 (coupled with FE:3H outselling Awakening/Fates) could lead to the genre shifting away from prioritising fanservice over any sort of good storytelling or character writing.

Except XC2 + Torna have the best character writing in the series. Playing XCDE after 2 made it more apparent.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Nice! It's on my wishlist, so I'll help that number grow. Hope it convinces them to remaster X!

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
In any other good series, fans would be content that the franchise is growing with each new entry.

Here though? That's too much to ask I guess.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that is probably holding the series back at this point is the performance issues that have come up with the last two entries. It's an easy soundbite for folks to latch on to, and the specific issues are pretty off-putting.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Except XC2 + Torna have the best character writing in the series. Playing XCDE after 2 made it more apparent.
HA!

XC2 has actual characters and story.

XCX had none of that.
By story, you mean Game of Thrones Season 8 schlock (the ending is pretty much what Jaime Lannister's character arc eventuated in).

By characters, you mean a cast with predominately underdeveloped anime tropes that aren't played with in any sort of interesting manner to warrant their existence, and two or three good characters.

A good example of why Xenoblade 2's character writing falls flat is to compare Sylvain from Three Houses to Tora from Xenoblade 2, as they both use a similar anime trope. Sylvain is a multi-faceted character whose most negative trait (his philandering) has an explanation that ties into and enhances both Three Houses' overall worldbuilding and storytelling (let's just say that his backstory makes the main villain's motivations more justifiable), and whom his negative traits are balanced out very well by some of his more positive traits (i.e. his charisma, his intelligence, his strained relationship with his family, etc.) Tora, on the other hand, is an insufferable, one-note anime pervert stereotype that doesn't get any more depth beyond a flimsy-at-best explanation - and I believe a Tora in Xenoblade 1 (with its writers) would resemble Sylvain a lot more than what he ended up being in Xenoblade 2.

Jul 14, 2020
We actually have. In an interview Takahashi stated that the game had sold 1.73M by March 2019. That means in L+4 + L+5 the game sold an additional 0.2M.

Awesome, I'll update my file. Looks like it kept up a 100k/quarter pace. It's possible it did so at least up to the XBCD launch so it should be close to 2m now.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
By story, you mean Game of Thrones Season 8 schlock (the ending is pretty much Jaime Lannister's character arc).

By characters, you mean a cast with predominately underdeveloped anime tropes that aren't played with in any sort of interesting manner to warrant their existence.

A good example of why Xenoblade 2's character writing falls flat is to compare Sylvain from Three Houses to Tora from Xenoblade 2, as they both use a similar anime trope. Sylvain is a multi-faceted character whose most negative trait (his philandering) has an explanation that ties into and enhances Three Houses' overall worldbuilding, and whom his negative traits are balanced out very well by some of his more positive traits (i.e. his charisma, his intelligence, his strained relationship with his family, etc.) Tora, on the other hand, is an insufferable, one-note anime pervert stereotype that doesn't get any more depth beyond a flimsy-at-best explanation - and I believe a Tora in Xenoblade 1 (with its writers) would resemble Sylvain a lot more than what he ended up being in Xenoblade 2.
Yeah, your opinions can be pretty controversial by themselves.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The GOAT keeps GOATing.

It is fair to say though that this was the first actual wide release of XC in North America. Being a limited late-Wii release, then a New 3DS exclusive, then a Wii U download title. Finally it got a decent audience to work with and it paid off.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Note that I didn't limit it to Xenoblade games.

Xenoblade DE has outsold the Xenosaga games and Xenogears.

Do those games really count though? When looking up the games they're described as a "meta" series and I just never heard of them until Xenoblade became a thing for Nintendo.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing! I beat it for the first time on the Wii but this 2nd playthrough was still so magical for me. As soon as I heard Colony 9's music I felt right at home. It was just 80+ hours of pure bliss.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Do those games really count though? When looking up the games they're described as a "meta" series and I just never heard of them until Xenoblade became a thing for Nintendo.
They all share creative DNA, and Xenosaga is directly connected to Xenoblade through the inclusion of KOS-MOS as a Blade in XC2.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Xenogears doesn't really count (outside of themes and theories), but Xenosaga kind of officially counts now.
Although it probably wouldn't fully count until we get a remake of that trilogy including references to Xenoblade lol.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
i'm so glad. XC2 was really good even with it's multiple flaws, I absolutely loved Torna and I'm now currently playing XC1 and it's great.

Monolith deserves all the love in this world.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They all count in terms of Takahashi's most successful games now being Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Nah its just a fun reference

No, it is much more than that. I'm inclined to believe it is canon and nothing will make me think otherwise especially since in Future connected the Fog King
is a Gnosis. This is so easy to tell because nobody can damage it until Shulk appears to use the Hilbert effect. Since Monado enchant is gone it only makes the most sense that Shulk allowed the Fog King to be harmed by upgrading his Monado Rex and somehow he uses the Hilbert effect. If you know Xenosaga and how the Gnosis works then this is really easy to tell. Xenosaga and Xenoblade are connected for sure and it's not even a question anymore if a Gnosis appeared in FC.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My favorite game of all time.

Insane to remember the time when I was part of Operation Rainfall literally BEGGING them to bring the game overseas, years late, and they only did it as a Gamestop exclusive.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is amazing amazing news. It gives me hope that a Xenosaga remaster would really sell well.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
This is pretty great. I don't know if the xenoblade formula as it is can go beyond 3M sales, but I'm sure they'll keep experimenting with it and changing stuff.

I don't think we've seen the best version of xenoblade either and hopefully with a bigger budget they can make something special with their next game

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Of course it's impossible to talk about Xenoblade in Era without the conversation about devolving into the hate boner for XC2 and the direction of the series based of incomplete information.

Alright, let's go back on the topic of XC1 sales...

Do people really expect it to have good legs? It released in a pretty empty period, and again, is a remake.
Most people interested in it would have bought it immediately, making it pretty front-loaded.

It feels like XCDE was more front loaded but fell off the charts faster, got see if it'll get the late sale bumps XC2 had over the years.

They all share creative DNA, and Xenosaga is directly connected to Xenoblade through the inclusion of KOS-MOS as a Blade in XC2.

It's a cameo more than an actual connection.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully we get to see the next MS game soon. Its been a while since XB2
I think we might see it as early as next year (trailer and possibly release towards end of next year).. it was in full production as the same time as XBCDE which is more than 2 years now

and they have more people now working on it now than the 40+ in house people that work on XBC2

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
XCX was actually my introduction to the series, I didn't play XC1 until a bit later on Wii U. While I clearly liked the game enough to stick with the series, it's definitely my least favourite. I just couldn't get attached to the characters besides Elma and to a lesser extent Lin and Lao, whereas I quickly got very attached to the entire cast of XC1 and XC2 (Zeke and Pandoria to a lesser degree). The story also never quite grabbed me. And - hot take alert - I didn't love the combat and skell updating stuff. I actually never beat it because I neglected my skells the whole game and got stuck near the end in a battle I couldn't beat.

If it got a port I might be willing to try it again, but not for full price tbh. Maybe I'd have a better time now that I have more experience with the series.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
As much as I'd like XCX port now, I'd much rather have a sequel that not only continues the story but also expands on the Multiplayer ideas they had. Shit, just make it a complete Coop experience. Imagine rolling out with a Squad of 4 Skells onto the world, taking on some massive indigenous lifeform. Questing and exploring Mira together. Maybe they could expand to a new continent?

I would like of they kept the same game structure for the sequel but added a lot more online multiplayer missions for players at max level. The game needed at least double the amount of what was available. Especially those that prohibit skells.

Why stop at a new continent? Make one of the planet's moons exploreable and add space skell combat.

I really hope Monolith, if planning to do more of this will at least divide its output so we get some other more "serious" (for lack of better word) games.

In terms of anime genres, I rather see Monolith Soft stick to making JRPGs that are seinen sci-fi in tone. There are enough shounen JRPGs with ecchi elements in them as it is.

The developers has said they want to make a game that would be rated M / PEGI 18. That wouldn't be out of place for a potential Xenoblade X2.