• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
sound mixing is really bad

i spend ages getting the levels just right and then a random cutscene will have music still blazing over the voice acting

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, I just met a certain character in my playthrough and now I feel like I've come to a revelation (that is probably well known but I'm stupid):

[...] He's wearing an Aegis-looking crystal in this game! How did I never notice that before?! How did I never put this together? Is this a well-known thing at this point?
He was wearing a simple golden key around his neck in the original game. It's been in the trailers btw.

This is super dumb and maybe even mentioned already but does then over world theme remind them of Dancing Queen to anyone else Lol
Thanks I hate it. Can't unhear it now.

Already mentioned numerous times and it's been in the threadmarks for almost a week :)
Anyone know what that game update did?
Was there a new game update or are you refering to the recent Switch Firmware update that fixed the eShop and credit cards?
There was no game update. People keep mixing this up with the FW update for some reason.
Did you collect the 10000G for playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I am unsure now, can't remember how important gold was.
Don't sweat it and take it. It's addressed in the OP btw.

For veterans: are you guys playing FC right off the bat or waiting until completing DE?

I can't decide which to do
Went straight to FC. Join us in the OT for that game if you do.
www.resetera.com

Xenoblade: Future Connected |OT| On the Shoulders of Titans

THIS OT IS SOLELY FOR THE FUTURE CONNECTED EPILOGUE XENOBLADE: DEFINITIVE EDITION HAS ITS OWN OT (linked at the bottom of this OP) Genre: GOAT Desert Multiplayer: It's still just you. But for a comfy 10-20h. You'll deal. Potato Mode aka Tatsu Mode: Still. Dual Audio?: Just like the main game...
Another question, hope that's OK - do I basically want to be selling all my Collectables / Materials or should I be hanging on to these? Many thanks!
There's a guide for that in the OP.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
sound mixing is really bad

i spend ages getting the levels just right and then a random cutscene will have music still blazing over the voice acting
Did you adjust the volume settings in the option screen?

I usually reduce music and sound effects volume by two notches while leaving everything else in max.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat Chapter 9
MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS
ehAjGow.jpg

Oh you, Zanza

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So, there are some sidequests popping up, for which I need to beat Level 40 monsters (I'm at Level 23 now, just got Sharla into the party) - I tried to tackle it, but all my attacks seem to be missing and obviously I'm getting killed by One-Hit KOs. So I guess I should just try it later? But my question is: will my attacks actually hit if I reach the same level as the monster or am I missing something else?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, there are some sidequests popping up, for which I need to beat Level 40 monsters (I'm at Level 23 now, just got Sharla into the party) - I tried to tackle it, but all my attacks seem to be missing and obviously I'm getting killed by One-Hit KOs. So I guess I should just try it later? But my question is: will my attacks actually hit if I reach the same level as the monster or am I missing something else?

If you just recruited Sharla, you shouldn't have to fight level 40 monsters. Are you sure you're being asked to kill these monsters or are they just in your way to get where you need to go?

If it's the latter, try looking for paths around the level 40 enemies. Or try to wait for them to move out of range of the items you're trying to collect so you don't get aggro'd.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I don't think any of the stuff the XC2 characters discuss is particularly deep or compelling either. It's all just Pyra and Mythra (and eventually Nia, ugh) fawning over Rex and Zeke never being taken seriously and Morag being living scenery.
Gonna put this in spoilers

Pyra and Mythra talking about how the world doesn't need them and how they only caused pain and suffering to the point of basing their whole journey towards Elysium on the hope of being able to die;
Brighid and Jin's struggle to come to terms with the fact blades can't keep their memories and basically turning into different people and never being able to advance as a species and how that leads to doubting if it's even worth bonding with humans in the first place;
Poppi seeing the effects of technological advancements bringing the world to ruin and reflecting on how she is also the result of that, while being very young and inexperienced and taking Rex and Pyra as role models to understand what "real" driver and blades are, and consequently bonding and understanding Mythra's own past and destiny;
Nia suffering from a series of losses and traumatic experiences leading her to hide herself from the world and finding refuge in a group of similar outcasts who lost hope for humanity, and being so afraid of going back to her own life that she let people die in front of her eyes until she found her real place in the world;
Morag outright expressing her frustration with the fact she hasn't found the meaning to her life outside protecting the Empire yet;
Rex literally growing up from his idealistic vision of the world where he can save everyone, knowing there's a limit to what one person can do, and coming to respect and value Pyra and Mythra's decisions as an equal after struggling with self worth issues the whole game;
Malos descending into a never ending downwards spiral of hate and destruction under the influence of Amalthus, which went through the same growing up suffering the loss of his mother and other atrocities committed by humans, showing a big difference in how people deal with grief (how he and Jin lost hope for the world versus Nia finding hope for the world), which relates all the way back to Klaus's own worries about humanity repeating his past mistakes... I could go on and on but I'm honestly pretty tired of typing pls forgive

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
If you just recruited Sharla, you shouldn't have to fight level 40 monsters. Are you sure you're being asked to kill these monsters or are they just in your way to get where you need to go?

If it's the latter, try looking for paths around the level 40 enemies. Or try to wait for them to move out of range of the items you're trying to collect so you don't get aggro'd.

Well, actually I guess you are right - the sidequest doesn't involve killing the monster, but rather getting an item guarded by it. As far as I can see there's no way around it then to fight it, since you automatically get into the battle mode there. It the giant enemy (sort of bunny?) at the end of Agora Shore.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, actually I guess you are right - the sidequest doesn't involve killing the monster, but rather getting an item guarded by it. As far as I can see there's no way around it then to fight it, since you automatically get into the battle mode there. It the giant enemy (sort of bunny?) at the end of Agora Shore.

Try changing the time of day. If it's daytime, switch to night. If it's night time, switch to day. Some UMs don't stay in the same place all day.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There are some quests you are intended to come back to later. That quest on Agora Shore is one of them.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

If you have some earthcloak gem you can sneak past it by hugging the right wall. That's how I did it

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
So folks...which Remastered/Arranged song is your favorite?
Colony 9 for sure.
I feel like they added some cool bass in every field theme and I'm all for it.
I'm also a fan of the new choirs in Engage the Enemy and Eryth Sea.
I'd argue that, with the exception of You Will know Our Names and An Obstacle on Our Path, all the tracks have been exceptionally improved.
It's a shame they haven't touch Unfinished Business and the main theme, but they were already perfect so...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out once I get motivated again swimming all the way to the Shore.

In my experience, with some practice, you can stealth around the enemies in that area without drawing aggro. What you may want to do when you go back is save right upon getting to the shore and if you get spotted just reload your save rather than swimming the whole way back.

Colony 9 for sure.
I'd argue that, with the exception of You Will know Our Names and An Obstacle on Our Path, all the tracks have been exceptionally improved.
It's a shame they haven't touch Unfinished Business and the main theme, but they were already perfect so...

Unfinished Business sounds remastered to me. It's just not as marked of a change as some of the others.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game

The new title screen change at the end was beautiful. Game is still GOAT.

Will start Future Connected now before starting with the post-game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This is a very narrow view of the art form, a lot can be conveyed by the framing of a shot and animation. No words need be spoken.
This is very true too. Makes me think of an ending scene with Nia, when after every other character has talked, she stays silent and just with her expression and gestures hits harder than all of them.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

Aggro the enemy by getting close to it, run off a bit until you see it disappearing and going back to where it initially was, then run back there asap. It takes a while for the monster to actually see you (or even see you at all).

Easy way bypassing fighting stronger monsters if you just need to get an item its guarding

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I don't know, I don't think any of the stuff the XC2 characters discuss is particularly deep or compelling either. It's all just Pyra and Mythra (and eventually Nia, ugh) fawning over Rex and Zeke never being taken seriously and Morag being living scenery.
This.

An issue that I do have with Xenoblade 1's characterisation, though, isn't the character writing itself (it's up there with Three Houses as one of my two favourite casts in a Nintendo game), but rather, how the interesting character interactions are presented.

Xenoblade 1 has the same issue with the Fire Emblem games in that most of the cast don't get much story relevance, and as such, they feel somewhat one-note if you're not seeing the optional character interactions. This isn't much of an issue on paper. In practice, the fact that almost every Heart-to-Heart (and by extension, most of the interesting character interactions outside of Shulk and Melia) are locked behind affinity requirements that you have no chance of hitting on your first run through an area means that said interesting character interactions aren't going to be seen by most players who aren't going to backtrack (and grind affinity) to see Heart-to-Hearts.

Riki, in particular, is hurt the worst by this. He's a good character whose's well-humanised and fleshed out in his Heart-to-Hearts, but the fact that they're locked behind affinity requirements means that the most a casual player is going to get out of him is the scene with him and Dunban on the Fallen Arm. Every other character at least has some semblance of an arc, even if most of them are extremely simplistic.

The irony is that Monolith Soft fixed this issue by having Heart-to-Hearts have no affinity requirements in 2, but then they messed up the actual character writing by having most of 2's cast be a one-note caricature (Pyra, Dromarch, Tora, Pandoria especially so) even if you see the optional character interactions with them.

I honestly don't know why Monolith Soft didn't fix this with DE's release.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This.

An issue that I do have with Xenoblade 1's characterisation, though, isn't the character writing itself (it's up there with Three Houses as one of my two favourite casts in a Nintendo game), but rather, how the interesting character interactions are presented.

Xenoblade 1 has the same issue with the Fire Emblem games in that most of the cast don't get much story relevance, and as such, they feel somewhat one-note if you're not seeing the optional character interactions. This isn't much of an issue on paper. In practice, the fact that almost every Heart-to-Heart (and by extension, most of the interesting character interactions outside of Shulk and Melia) are locked behind affinity requirements that you have no chance of hitting on your first run through an area means that said interesting character interactions aren't going to be seen by most players who aren't going to backtrack (and grind affinity) to see Heart-to-Hearts.

Riki, in particular, is hurt the worst by this. He's a good character whose's well-humanised and fleshed out in his Heart-to-Hearts, but the fact that they're locked behind affinity requirements means that the most a casual player is going to get out of him is the scene with him and Dunban on the Fallen Arm. Every other character at least has some semblance of an arc, even if most of them are extremely simplistic.

The irony is that Monolith Soft fixed this issue by having Heart-to-Hearts have no affinity requirements in 2, but then they messed up the actual character writing by having most of 2's cast be a one-note caricature (Pyra, Dromarch, Tora, Pandoria especially so) even if you see the optional character interactions with them.
Praising 1's character while calling 2's one-note caricatures LOL

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Tips for beating a big group of mechons in chapter 12? I can't even put down one of the 4-5 that I need to put down.

Also the more I learn about Mechons the less interesting they get. Especially Metal Face, an incredible let down.

"Generic Shonen filler villain" stereotype

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I'm towards the end of chapter 14 now, and I have to say I'm feeling the fatigue, these last few chapters have sucked pretty hard,

Pretty much haven't had any enemies that weren't Mechon appear since Galahad fortress which was ages ago now. Chapter 13 and 14 in particular are just extremely long sections of metal walkways with shit tons of mechon everywhere. It's all just so samey, and it's just been so damn boring going from one switch to the next for hours because that's the most interesting objectives the game can come up with. Seriously wanna get back on Bionis asap, this section of the game is so weak compared to the incredible locals and creature designs of the first half.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Praising 1's character while calling 2's one-note caricatures LOL

I'll just say this: I may not love the majority of the XC1 cast. Sharla is a nobody, Riki is basically just there, and Reyn's bro shtick wears thin in about an hour.

But I don't like any of the XC2 cast. Not a single character in that cast is likeable and I can't stand listening to any of them speak. So at the end of the day, I'd take XC1's cast over 2's in a heartbeat.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm towards the end of chapter 14 now, and I have to say I'm feeling the fatigue, these last few chapters have sucked pretty hard,

Pretty much haven't had any enemies that weren't Mechon appear since Galahad fortress which was ages ago now. Chapter 13 and 14 in particular are just extremely long sections of metal walkways with shit tons of mechon everywhere. It's all just so samey, and it's just been so damn boring going from one switch to the next for hours because that's the most interesting objectives the game can come up with. Seriously wanna get back on Bionis asap, this section of the game is so weak compared to the incredible locals and creature designs of the first half.
A lot of people consider Chapters 13 and 14 to be the weakest part of the game, so keep pushing on.

Personally, I think it largely goes downhill writing-wise after the end of Chapter 12 (though Egil is a good villain), and the final villain is by far the weakest in the game.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I remember that quest. I baited the enemy then ran away. The frog won't attack you until it returns to its original position.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just say this: I may not love the majority of the XC1 cast. Sharla is a nobody, Riki is basically just there, and Reyn's bro shtick wears thin in about an hour.

But I don't like any of the XC2 cast. Not a single character in that cast is likeable and I can't stand listening to any of them speak. So at the end of the day, I'd take XC1's cast over 2's in a heartbeat.
Well you aren't exactly giving much to talk about here, I've said my piece about most characters and why I think they're interesting in one way or another, I can't make you like them but if people are gonna try to say they're one note and stuff I'd expect at least a bit of effort in trying to explain why without just resorting to personal biases against the game as a whole.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
IIRC, the game intends you to do it later - though the Unique Monster guarding the item might be beatable at this level on Casual Mode (This is because there's no accuracy penalties for fighting a higher-levelled enemy on it. I've beaten Level 90 Unique Monsters at Level 45-50 on Casual Mode because of it.).

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Well you aren't exactly giving much to talk about here, I've said my piece about most characters and why I think they're interesting in one way or another, I can't make you like them but if people are gonna try to say they're one note and stuff I'd expect at least a bit of effort in trying to explain why without just resorting to personal biases against the game as a whole.
To explain:
  • Pyra's less a character and more a amalgamation of waifu tropes (she cooks, she's shy, she's kind, etc.), and there's nothing about her that's interesting outside of her connection with Mythra (who gets actual development and is a fleshed-out character).
  • I've said this before, and I'll say this again, but Sylvain from Three Houses is how you do a "philanderer" character in a JRPG right. His philandering is balanced out very well by his other personality traits (such as his intelligence, his self-awareness), said character traits are used in some really good character interactions and personal conflicts, and his characterisation and even his philandering is linked with Three Houses' central themes (i.e. the Crests, the institution of the nobility etc.). The reason why I'm bringing up Sylvain in a Xenoblade thread is none of what makes Sylvain likeable exists within Tora. His character interactions all exist of unfunny attempts at "comedy", his characterisation does not affect Xenoblade 2's story in any way, nor does it tell us anything about Alrest, and the Xenoblade 2 writers completely fail to balance him being an unfunny pervert with positive character traits - hence Tora being a one-note anime pervert.
  • What does Morag do in Xenoblade 2 after joining Rex, anyway? She doesn't have an arc, and her character isn't fleshed-out very well (even in the sidequests/Heart-to-Hearts). She gets one scene (that's completely contrived (seriously, Niall's too dumb to live)), and that's it. The same applies to Pandoria.
  • For as much flak as I've given Morag for being irrelevant, at least she gets one scene around herself. Dromarch doesn't even get that.
Xenoblade 2 does have some good characters (Mythra, Poppi and Nia), but the bad characters outnumber the good ones, and Tora in particular is one of the worst characters I've ever seen in a JRPG.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020

I feel pretty similar. I don't love anyone in the XC1 cast, but no one is outright annoying unlike XC2 which has quite a few. That said, the XC1 cast just feels so bland. Like they've pretty much done nothing so far, they're just there for the ride. Nothing would even change much if they were gone. Even Shulk has gone nowhere as a character so far. They may be annoying, but I found the cast in XC2 to have a far larger role in the plot as a whole (especially when you consider Torna too) which made them a heck of a lot more interesting. So far the only interesting characters in XC1 are a handful that aren't part of the main cast, I literally don't care about a single cast member.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Colony 9 for sure.
I'd say The End Lies Ahead and Central Factory have really great arrangements.

Also maybe it's just me, but I don't get the hate with the opera voice in You Will Know Our Names. An Obstacle in Our Path also just sounds straight up better with the choir.

Oct 27, 2017
sigh we going back to "you're fave Xenoblade kinda sucks ,bro" mode for the millionth time again? i think ill just dip out this thread till i finish this game

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you would like to go much further on with Xenoblade Wars, please spin that off into another thread.

Thanks. Y'all fighting about which game is better at what, and I'm sitting here feeling like the weird one out for loving both games in spite of their respective flaws.

I guess I'm really lucky.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Just finished it! I'd say it deserves to be called Definitive. Such an improvement from the original. Loved it again, loved it even more than the first time.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
so is Chapter 11 a point of no return? I dont remember, I am trying to do most quests this time

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So, finally reached Chapter 5 after already around 15 hours - gotta say, I love the gameplay loop. I think I played for around 3 hours today and the only story related thing I did was cross a bridge and fight a boss lol.
It's just that the combination of all the different things to do is very addicting altogether - I explored a huge deal of Gaur Plains (damn those are really huge!), reached another affinity level in Colony 9 so I had ton of new sidequest ahead of me, grinded a bit on monsters and progressed the story a little bit. And there goes your time!

A few questions about the battle mechanics:

1) What does entering the battle with a successfull "Press B" quick time event actually do? (or generally what effect does it also have during a battle?)
2) Is there any point in using gems outside of +Strength/HP/agility?
3) Should I be using the Monade skill that allows my party members apart from Shulk also to hit Mechons outside of Mechon battles? Does it increase my stats in any ways?

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
To explain:
  • Pyra's less a character and more a amalgamation of waifu tropes (she cooks, she's shy, she's kind, etc.), and there's nothing about her that's interesting outside of her connection with Mythra (who gets actual development and is a fleshed-out character).
  • I've said this before, and I'll say this again, but Sylvain from Three Houses is how you do a "philanderer" character in a JRPG right. His philandering is balanced out very well by his other personality traits (such as his intelligence, his self-awareness), said character traits are used in some really good character interactions and personal conflicts, and his characterisation and even his philandering is linked with Three Houses' central themes (i.e. the Crests, the institution of the nobility etc.). The reason why I'm bringing up Sylvain in a Xenoblade thread is none of what makes Sylvain likeable exists within Tora. His character interactions all exist of unfunny attempts at "comedy", his characterisation does not affect Xenoblade 2's story in any way, nor does it tell us anything about Alrest, and the Xenoblade 2 writers completely fail to balance him being an unfunny pervert with positive character traits - hence Tora being a one-note anime pervert.
  • What does Morag do in Xenoblade 2 after joining Rex, anyway? She doesn't have an arc, and her character isn't fleshed-out very well (even in the sidequests/Heart-to-Hearts). She gets one scene (that's completely contrived (seriously, Niall's too dumb to live)), and that's it. The same applies to Pandoria.
  • For as much flak as I've given Morag for being irrelevant, at least she gets one scene around herself. Dromarch doesn't even get that.
Xenoblade 2 does have some good characters (Mythra, Poppi and Nia), but the bad characters outnumber the good ones, and Tora in particular is one of the worst characters I've ever seen in a JRPG.
Honestly, this is a lot of how I feel. I like a lot of Xenoblade 2 in concept but it's execution as a shonen battle anime romp just leaves me cold since it feels like it just doesn't mesh with the actual story it's going for. Part of me wonders if they went with this presentation over how XC1 was because it was more or less the first big Nintendo RPG for the Switch.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this is a lot of how I feel. I like a lot of Xenoblade 2 in concept but it's execution as a shonen battle anime romp just leaves me cold since it feels like it just doesn't mesh with the actual story it's going for. Part of me wonders if they went with this presentation over how XC1 was because it was more or less the first big Nintendo RPG for the Switch.
Takahashi said in an interview after Xenoblade X was released, that he wanted to make a shounen like game for his next work. And we got Xenoblade 2, so, hopefully that's out of his system now and it will no longer happen again.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
is 2 worth playing after I finish this game? The lead character design, Pyra's stupid design and anime horniness always put me off it. I'm a fan of XC1's cast
Absolutely. I think 2 is better than 1 in basically every way, and especially in terms of characters and story

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, finally reached Chapter 5 after already around 15 hours - gotta say, I love the gameplay loop. I think I played for around 3 hours today and the only story related thing I did was cross a bridge and fight a boss lol.
It's just that the combination of all the different things to do is very addicting altogether - I explored a huge deal of Gaur Plains (damn those are really huge!), reached another affinity level in Colony 9 so I had ton of new sidequest ahead of me, grinded a bit on monsters and progressed the story a little bit. And there goes your time!

A few questions about the battle mechanics:

1) What does entering the battle with a successfull "Press B" quick time event actually do? (or generally what effect does it also have during a battle?)
2) Is there any point in using gems outside of +Strength/HP/agility?
3) Should I be using the Monade skill that allows my party members apart from Shulk also to hit Mechons outside of Mechon battles? Does it increase my stats in any ways?

1) It increases tension for the party and can contribute to affinity boosts.
2) Arts Stealth can be a big deal for a squishy character if you want them to not pull aggro. Debuff Resistance can also prevent certain seriously dangerous late-game effects.
3) No, Enchant is generally useless outside of Mechon fights.