• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Each Character gets to a point where they have more arts than can fit on the arts palette and especially with gems and gear you can really change up how they play. The entire cast has the most variety to the other Xenoblade games.
It defiantly takes some time to open up completely though.

I dont agree with that last part honestly. XCX and XC2 offer way more options and variety imo. Alone the class system makes X for example way more flexible and gives you more options/variety.

Thats not to say XC1s combat sucks, but its definitly the most barebones of the franchise.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
12 hours in, just entering Gaur Plains. Seriously having the time of my life with Xenoblade DE, unreal just how improved everything is from the original. I've done all the side quests up to this point, and they haven't seemed like a hassle, the new mechanics are phenomenal.

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
So what does one do in this case (when it's a sealed "damaged" part of the CE).

CsuSXuY.jpg

Honestly laughed when I saw this.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
I noticed they got rid of the Crisis music for the cutscene where Xord flies away after the first battle. It fit perfectly before so I"m not sure why they did that

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the Arachna Queen in Chapter 3. I linked like 5 chain attacks in a row for the first time. What an amazing and fun game this is! I've been missing out for years.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this before but didn't get an answer.
Am I supposed to not be able to beat the optional challenge quest monsters in the first area?
Even though I am the same level as them.
They kill me so fast.
Maybe I don't understand the combat system.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I dont agree with that last part honestly. XCX and XC2 offer way more options and variety imo. Alone the class system makes X for example way more flexible and gives you more options/variety.

Thats not to say XC1s combat sucks, but its definitly the most barebones of the franchise.

Yep, XC1 is the best game overall definitely, but combat-wise both XB2 and XCX have more depth.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
99% of XB2's battles consist in smashing orbs over and over, the sub systems and tutorials are all smoke and mirror. It has one of the most flat battle systems ever once you understand it.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to not be able to beat the optional challenge quest monsters in the first area?
They kill me so fast.
Do you have a full party? Keeping up on hear and leveling arts? How do you usually approach these fights? Some early game unique monsters like the one in Tephra Cave can be a bit difficult. Once you have a better understanding of the battle system and have more arts options, you can take on enemies a couple levels higher.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
What's up with side quest markers? They are pretty unreliable, sometimes they disappear or only show when you go close to them, I have started to not trust them.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
They kill me so fast.

You can, but it's tricky. Make sure you have 2 or 3 people.

Spent 4 hours last night and finished every side quest i could find and got the Monado. Stopped playing once I got to chapter 3.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really agree. I found 2 to have the least variety of the lot, everyone plays very similarly. That said, I do think 2 has the best battle system overall -- just not the best variety.

It's not "options" I value, it's character play style. X has a good amount, but (for example) doesn't have any builds nearly as unique as Melia's.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't really agree. I found 2 to have the least variety of the lot, everyone plays very similarly. That said, I do think 2 has the best battle system overall -- just not the best variety.

It's not "options" I value, it's character play style. X has a good amount, but (for example) doesn't have any builds nearly as unique as Melia's.

I never liked Melias playstyle. Just not fun for me. I also think the playstyles in XCX and 2 are more varied. But I am not trying to say you are wrong, I am just putting my opinion out there.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
99% of XB2's battles consist in smashing orbs over and over, the sub systems and tutorials are all smoke and mirror. It has one of the most flat battle systems ever once you understand it.
Yup as soon as that was unlocked, you're holding was to smash them asap. Either enemies died before the orb break or they definitely would after final boss included.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They kill me so fast.
With three people in your party, yeah, you should be able to beat the unique monsters at the same level as them. Sounds like you don't have the healer yet though, so come back when you get her.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a full party? Keeping up on hear and leveling arts? How do you usually approach these fights? Some early game unique monsters like the one in Tephra Cave can be a bit difficult. Once you have a better understanding of the battle system and have more arts options, you can take on enemies a couple levels higher.
No I just have 2 people.
Am I supposed to have more before doing them?
Maybe I'm trying to do them too early, but the game isn't telling me I should wait or anything.
And they don't seem high level or anything. Confusing.
With three people in your party, yeah, you should be able to beat the unique monsters at the same level as them. Sounds like you don't have the healer yet though, so come back when you get her.
The only heal I have is Shulk's little heal. It doesnt do a lot.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No I just have 2 people.
Maybe I'm trying to do them too early, but the game isn't telling me I should wait or anything.

Yeah continue until you get the third character. You can beat them with your current party but it's going to be a lot tougher until you have a full party. Make sure you understand break/topple and how Shulk's buffs/debuffs set up things like a stronger backslash.

And no the game won't limit you from fighting any enemies, you have to make the judgment call yourself. Avoid anything over 3 levels higher than you (and you will see giant level 80+ enemies around).

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I just have 2 people.

They'd be red icon if they were dangerous / unbeatable. It's really just your mastery of the combat system. Use positional attacks, get your QTE prompts, chain attacks, etc.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
No I just have 2 people.
Unique monsters are much more difficult than the run of the mill enemies. Try again when you have a third party member and see if that turns the tides. Them being the same level as you doesn't mean they won't tear you apart. The game gives you free rein to engage with enemies as you wish. Some are beyond your current strength, while others are not.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised by the 'Expert' mode that they added into the game. Why didn't they go with the customizable difficulty that they added with Xenoblade Chronicles 2? It would give you much more options rather than just 'increase / decrease your levels'.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed the game thus far (only 2+ hours in). The voice acting in this game is really good. Fantastic music as well.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I just had the boss fight with the Arachno that teaches you the Visions mechanic, how much more of the combat system do I still have left to unlock?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice guys.
Also is there no way to control what abilities your party members use?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm actually surprised by the 'Expert' mode that they added into the game. Why didn't they go with the customizable difficulty that they added with Xenoblade Chronicles 2? It would give you much more options rather than just 'increase / decrease your levels'.
Lack of time/resources and means rebalancing the game when it's been kept basically exactly the same

Thanks for the advice guys.
Also is there no way to control what abilities your party members use?
No but the party member strategy commands with ZR will let you ROUGHLY dictate when they go in

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I just had the boss fight with the Arachno that teaches you the Visions mechanic, how much more of the combat system do I still have left to unlock?
You've got most of the core stuff but there's a lot more Monado abilities to come and the other characters play radically differently, plenty more to learn and doing real builds with gems is much later

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
You've got most of the core stuff but there's a lot more Monado abilities to come and the other characters play radically differently, plenty more to learn and doing real builds with gems is much later
Ok cool. This wasn't too bad then. Not like Persona 5 where the first 10 hours are tutorial.

Sep 4, 2019
Scotland
What's up with side quest markers? They are pretty unreliable, sometimes they disappear or only show when you go close to them, I have started to not trust them.
Certain enemies and characters (for getting or turning in quests) are only active at certain times of the day. Collectables also spawn in different areas. Haven't had any problems with them yet so that might be it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nope, which is annoying when fighting Mechon. I spent 5 minutes in a fight cause my partner didn't use Topple :|
ZR+Up to focus on a single enemy will encourage your party members to use abilities on whoever you're targeting. Won't always work but I've found it helps them break/topple

once you get Monado enchant the mechon topple thing is mostly a non issue, it's just those first few fights You'll get Mechon damaging weapons later too.

Ok cool. This wasn't too bad then. Not like Persona 5 where the first 10 hours are tutorial.
Nah you've got most of the fundamentals now but it can still get a lot more complicated or varied if you play as someone other than Shulk later

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
They kill me so fast.
There are many ways to get the job done but you have to use the stats, gears, gems, characters... as best as you can when you're 1, 2 level under or same level.

To give an example, early on I would raise Shulk's Ether attack, his light heal arts and easily multiply by 3 (or more) the HP healed which would be just enough support to last enough to kill.
I'd also control Rein and work on attracting monster/blocking at the right moment as well as positioning myself on the opposite of Shulk so he can Backslash without moving and hit with better accuracy... in the back.
Helps you also controlling when to topple the monster.

You might have to adapt to the enemy of course.

I played the Wii game by just killing uniques and never attacking normal monsters so it's definitely doable even early on.

Gathering collepedia items to get gems and gear is a big help also.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I finished Chapter 2 and... it is amazing how such a strong moment is already present at an early point of the story.
I was spoiled about the fact that Fiora would have left the party, but I didn't know when. And, considering how much focus was on her in the trailers and advertising campaign, I didn't think that it would have happened almost immediately, in the first 3 hours of the game. Her death is so sudden and tragic. So Shulk's journey will begin as a journey for revenge.

How many side quests are in this game? It is impressive! I am trying to get all of them, but of course without forcing myself to complete them. I spent some time exploring Colony 9 and doing so I already completed several of them, just by killing monsters or fetching objects while exploring.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The level 10 unique Caterpile in Tephra Cave has now kicked my ass in three versions of Xenoblade. I eventually beat him with a level 12 party and efficient Reyn play, but I just as well could've dropped money on better gear...

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I miss the XC2 combat very much. Game is great of course, but I miss having so much possibilities in combat.

There is also way too many secondary filler quests.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I finished Chapter 2 and... it is amazing how such a strong moment is already present at an early point of the story.
I was spoiled about the fact that Fiora would have left the party, but I didn't know when. And, considering how much focus was on her in the trailers and advertising campaign, I didn't think that it would have happened almost immediately, in the first 3 hours of the game. Her death is so sudden and tragic. So Shulk's journey will begin as a journey for revenge.

How many side quests are in this game? It is impressive! I am trying to get all of them, but of course without forcing myself to complete them. I spent some time exploring Colony 9 and doing so I already completed several of them, just by killing monsters or fetching objects while exploring.

Well over 400 sidequests. It's easy to get burnt out trying to do them all, but DE made some helpful changes.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 hours in, just entering Gaur Plains. Seriously having the time of my life with Xenoblade DE, unreal just how improved everything is from the original. I've done all the side quests up to this point, and they haven't seemed like a hassle, the new mechanics are phenomenal.

It probably doesn't seem like a hassle because until that point like 3% of the game's quests are available lol. The QOL changes they're made in this regard are nice though.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Lack of time/resources and means rebalancing the game when it's been kept basically exactly the same

Why would rebalancing matter at all with difficulty customizations? The point is that the game is balanced for the regular difficulty and players are free to tweak the experience via the different sliders etc. The game has a casual mode anyway, so they obviously don't care if some difficulty settings make the game "unbalanced". I also agree that it would've been great if they had taken the fantastic difficulty settings XB2 had (or got in a post-release patch, anyway) and added them to DE too, but personally the expert mode has been enough for me so far (and, like I've mentioned a few times, it's a genuinely fantastic addition and I wish more JRPGs had something like it).

e: oh and thanks to everyone who replied to me RE: the gear management. I've opted to simply not pick up any gear that isn't an obvious improvement. It's hard to keep track of exact defense values etc. but when all gear I'm currently seeing has defense values in the 15-30 range, it shouldn't make a huge difference if I happen to miss one or two minor improvements.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Completing the quest casually is the right approach, unfortunately there are some that are missables if you go too far with the main story, making impossible to raise at the max the diagram with a particular area

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Bought this on impulse again, man the Colony 9 music is still so great as the "intro song", immediately fills you with a sense of adventure.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Man, really tempted to get this seeing all the hype and considering it is one of my favourite RPGs ever, but I don't have the time commitment for it even though I'd love to play Future Connected.

Argh! :(