• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This is what I was waiting for:

EZMEPP_UYAAWefG

I will never understand how Monolith envisioned this game on that hardware.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Just running around the first town doing scrub quests and I'm so glad I waited to play this game. It feels and looks great on Switch. I also love how much control you have over the camera, either zooming all the way out or getting a tight over-the-shoulder angle, and everything in between.

Oct 25, 2017
Was fast travel this uhh fast in XC2? It's like instant at least so far.

It was that fast at launch, but it was causing crashes (in a game without autosaves), so they slowed it down considerably.

In the launch XC2, you'd blink in faster than things loaded, so you'd see void and skeletal frameworks before textures and objects properly appeared. It was amazing.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Received my collector's edition today...
I was supposed to sign for delivery but they decided it would be a good idea to just... Throw it over the fence while I'm not here.

Thankfully the package (and most importantly the Vinyl) weren't damaged too much but... Wtf man

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
This is the first time I have the feeling I am playing both an HD remaster and a complete remake lol. Some things show their Wii roots while some others really look on par with Switch tech. But the game is great, as always.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can't redeem my voucher because my NSO subscription expired a few weeks ago. I wasn't planning to sub again so soon, meh...

I tried to use the 7-day trial, but it didn't work, needs to be a paid subscription. Subscribed for a month, but it seems i have to wait the trial to end so I can redeem the voucher.

I have to wait a week to download the game with a code I've already purchased.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Why can't I lure enemies? The icon is crossed out, am I just too early into the game? They want me to kill some bats but they are impossible to attack without luring them.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Removed the post as I admittedly hadn't seen the message about FC and jumped in, will locate the thread for it and reply there.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Why can't I lure enemies? The icon is crossed out, am I just too early into the game? They want me to kill some bats but they are impossible to attack without luring them.
Usually it means you're not close enough. I don't recall the fact that the feature is initially locked, and I used yesterday in my first hours at Colony 9.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
How is the game undocked? I unfortunately left my Switch dock at my office, which is on lockdown now thanks to the pandemic. I do want to give this game a shot, but it have to be in undocked mode.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is the game undocked? I unfortunately left my Switch dock at my office, which is on lockdown now thanks to the pandemic. I do want to give this game a shot, but it have to be in undocked mode.

Some people think it's fine and looks like the Torna expansion. I got horrible headaches with XC2 undocked back then (Docked is fine), but I have the same problem with XC1 now. I also don't think it looks good, but it's playable for sure for most people I might think.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
CE edition arrived from Amazon.

It was a little scratched up so I contacted them and they just issued a full refund on the spot, wtf

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can't beat any of the unique enemy in the first zone or dungeon, is that normal? I'm above their level and don't seem to be doing *much* wrong.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It's a slight improvement over Torna, not bad at all. Maybe you'll see the characters' faces a little blurry, but the environments and pretty much anything else is great.
It's way better than XC2 in comparison.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I can't beat any of the unique enemy in the first zone or dungeon, is that normal? I'm above their level and don't seem to be doing *much* wrong.

generally unique enemies are tough unless you are a good 3-4 levels above them. If you are fighting one that is say level 10 and you are like level 12 or something it will still be a good challenge.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I'm happy for all of you who are experiencing this gem with its beautiful character design, its monumental landscapes and its various twists for the first time.

I'm also tempted now due to the QoL improvements since some bosses in the last 10% became too difficult for me as I didn't focus on training certain mage characters. Good to see that most people seem very happy with the result although they didn't go for full HD docked / HD handheld (I wonder whether we can expect a graphics update?).

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Starting this tonight. Absolutely loved XC2 and never got the chance to play this.

Plum

May 31, 2018
generally unique enemies are tough unless you are a good 3-4 levels above them. If you are fighting one that is say level 10 and you are like level 12 or something it will still be a good challenge.

Ah, OK. Thanks! I managed to just about kill the unique lizard thing in the first dungeon.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This is such a great game. Looks way better handheld than xbc2 as well. I'm having such a blast playing through this again!

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I wanted to play this when it came out but never got the chance, and my friend who owned it loved it. I tried XC2 and hated the boring combat system, the fanservice, and the gacha - is there a chance that I'll like this?

EDIT: I know this one doesn't have gacha

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have pics of the art book? Idk if I should downgrade to the standard version or not. I thought the NA limited edition came with the audio cd so that's why I'm kinda hesitant to keeping it 👀

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm debating showing this game to my daughters, (they loved DQXI) to see how they take to this game. (2nd grade and 6th graders)

I feel like this game has a lot of systems and complexity for a young JRPG player, I don't know if it will be accessible to them or they'll find things frustrating. I'm mostly just curious as an experiment what they'll think of a JRPG like this.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I wanted to play this when it came out but never got the chance, and my friend who owned it loved it. I tried XC2 and hated the boring combat system, the fanservice, and the gacha - is there a chance that I'll like this?

A good chance.

I'm debating showing this game to my daughters, (they loved DQXI) to see how they take to this game. (2nd grade and 6th graders)

I feel like this game has a lot of systems and complexity for a young JRPG player, I don't know if it will be accessible to them or they'll find things frustrating. I'm mostly just curious as an experiment what they'll think of a JRPG like this.

I'm not sure if you mean letting them play or watch you play? Gonna assume play in which case It will likely be too complex for the 6th grader (just my hunch but idk) but yeah forget about it for your 2nd grader.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Combat is not that different, there is less fan service but its still there, and yeah no gacha.
50/50

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is somewhat similar, but there's no fanservice or gacha.

What about XC2's combat did you not like? The combat in XC1 is generally considered to be simpler, since there's no switching Blades or stacking elemental orbs - your characters have all their moves on a bar and you click on them. The characters are more differentiated in their abilities, though, and often don't fit neatly into DPS/tank/healer archetypes, so there's a greater focus on mastering particular characters than on mastering the battle system as a whole.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The fanservice and gatcha are gone, so there's that. The writing is across the board better (imo) and the English voice acting is much better.

Only sticking point is the combat. It's not the -same- as the combat in XB2 but it's in the ballpark. I think it's overall better - It's less convoluted and snapper - but if you don't like MMO style combat at all it's not going to change your mind.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Combat is not that different, there is less fan service but its still there, and yeah no gacha.
50/50
Is it less
- Regular attack so you can do special attacks
- Special attack so you can do...whatever the hell the next level ones were called
- Chain elements
- lather, rinse, repeat

The combat is somewhat similar, but there's no fanservice or gacha.

What about XC2's combat did you not like? The combat in XC1 is generally considered to be simpler, since there's no switching Blades or stacking elemental orbs - your characters have all their moves on a bar and you click on them. The characters are more differentiated in their abilities, though, and often don't fit neatly into DPS/tank/healer archetypes, so there's a greater focus on mastering particular characters than on mastering the battle system as a whole.

See above, but that honestly sounds a lot better.

The fanservice and gatcha are gone, so there's that. The writing is across the board better (imo) and the English voice acting is much better.

Only sticking point is the combat. It's not the -same- as the combat in XB2 but it's in the ballpark. I think it's overall better - It's less convoluted and snapper - but if you don't like MMO style combat at all it's not going to change your mind.
MMO-style combat is fine, it was more just how tedious combat was with filling gauges just to get the orbs.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
A good chance.

I'm not sure if you mean letting them play or watch you play? Gonna assume play in which case It will likely be too complex for the 6th grader (just my hunch but idk) but yeah forget about it for your 2nd grader.

Well, I know the story is going to FLY over their heads. But they enjoyed walking around/exploring in Breath of the Wild. This is my favorite exploration game, I LOVE filling out that map!

But yeah, I wonder if the combat system has too much shit going on for them to understand. I'll let them watch me play and see if they're interested. They keep wanting me to play more of that dreadful Kingdom Hearts III, and I hope this will distract them away from that.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Random question time: Is there a reason for "Chronicles" being omitted from the thread title?
Yes, I don't like it. It's always bothered me and it only exists for the Western release. It's a tradition to leave it out of OT titles.
Hidden machina village and Zanza spring to mind
Again, generic place and character names that mean nothing to anyone. It's a track list anyone who has the soundtrack will see. I really don't think it's a big deal presented without context.
Was fast travel this uhh fast in XC2? It's like instant at least so far.
The fast travel was already quite fast on Wii where it was arguably more impressive.
You're too far away.
So I just watched someone go through Future Connected on a stream.

CUT
Don't make me ask a mod to put a mod note into the title or something. Literally the first thing in the OP is a HUGE sentence about not posting any FC content in this thread.

Anyone have pics of the art book? Idk if I should downgrade to the standard version or not. I thought the NA limited edition came with the audio cd so that's why I'm kinda hesitant to keeping it 👀
posted this non-spoiler collage in the review thread yesterday (click for full size):

xenoartbook9pk30.jpg

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Is it less
- Special attack so you can do...whatever the hell the next level ones were called
- Chain elements
- lather, rinse, repeat

It's regular/auto attack. Then wait for some meters to fill up(timed) to do attacks. Position yourself to do some more damage or do some status inflictions like toppling, daze, etc. Then you can choose to do chain attacks when your party meter gauge fills up.

It's simpler than XC2 but that's not really a bad thing. There's a lot more options for Arts/special attacks than the 4 of XC2. It's gets pretty tedious though IMO

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I know the story is going to FLY over their heads. But they enjoyed walking around/exploring in Breath of the Wild. This is my favorite exploration game, I LOVE filling out that map!

But yeah, I wonder if the combat system has too much shit going on for them to understand. I'll let them watch me play and see if they're interested. They keep wanting me to play more of that dreadful Kingdom Hearts III, and I hope this will distract them away from that.
I think there is a Casual mode that streamlines the experience if it helps.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Is it less
- Chain elements
- lather, rinse, repeat
yeah man, it's like MMO combat. You do auto attacks until your bar fills fill up so you can do super duper moves... I mean more/less that. There are interesting mechanics here like "You can see a deathblow coming! You have to prevent the future from happening" which means you need to pull off a certain move or warn your ally before the bar time drains down.

I personally think this combat system is "simpler" (less going on at once) than XBC2, but also... it's better. XBC2 fights can drag on... I feel like this game does a better job of being concise.

I think the strength of this game is exploration. My BIGGEST bummer of XBC2 was that the map was already filled out. This game is more BoTW-style whereas you move you uncover the map and you hit Landmarks that fill out the map in a radius of that area. And there's also hidden nooks and crannies in each map. Why this matters for the combat system is that exploring and filling out the map gives you something FUN to do instead of just fighting monsters.

Conceivably, you can play this game for HOURS without needing to fight any monsters. You get EXP rewards for exploring and collecting stuff, this game allows you to take long breaks from battling. I think that HELPS the game out a lot, the combat system stays fresh with each character you play as, and you can "take breaks" from it and still make EXP/level up progress away from it.

XBC1 is the best JRPG man. It's worth it to give it a try. Buy it physical and sell it if you don't like it. I wouldn't judge this game too hard based on XBC2, it's quite different.

... Now lets talk about Xenoblade X. MASTERPIECE!!! (Narrator: it wasn't a masterpiece at all.)

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My order got delayed without any notification! It sucks, I wanted to enjoy this game properly again this time around on the weekend.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
yeah man, it's like MMO combat. You do auto attacks until your bar fills fill up so you can do super duper moves... I mean more/less that. There are interesting mechanics here like "You can see a deathblow coming! You have to prevent the future from happening" which means you need to pull off a certain move or warn your ally before the bar time drains down.

I personally think this combat system is "simpler" (less going on at once) than XBC2, but also... it's better. XBC2 fights can drag on... I feel like this game does a better job of being concise.

I think the strength of this game is exploration. My BIGGEST bummer of XBC2 was that the map was already filled out. This game is more BoTW-style whereas you move you uncover the map and you hit Landmarks that fill out the map in a radius of that area. And there's also hidden nooks and crannies in each map. Why this matters for the combat system is that exploring and filling out the map gives you something FUN to do instead of just fighting monsters.
Yeah, the dragging on was really the big hangup, having to do so much before actually getting to the point where you start doing *real* damage.
And I've heard great things about the exploration, that was one of the main reasons I wanted to play it back when it first came out.
Cheers.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the dragging on was really the big hangup, having to do so much before actually getting to the point where you start doing *real* damage.
And I've heard great things about the exploration, that was one of the main reasons I wanted to play it back when it first came out.
Cheers.
Agreed. I LOVE XBC2, like 9/10 game for me. But yes, that was a valid criticism of the battle system.... you had to "work" a lot before you do *real damage. Not great, they cleaned that up a bit in the Torna DLC.

XBC1 is way better in that regard and yeah, I would say come to this game for the story and exploration and stay for the battle system.