• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
X is such a frustrating game. It's got great music, a great world, fantastic sense of exploration and discovery and progression (what with the Skell upgrades) but the story is terrible and the characters are either forgettable or annoying (oh what's that? Tatsu isn't food? ololololol I've only heard that a million times!!!!).

So many things were teased or set up with no payoff or reveal and that was really annoying.

Soundtrack slaps though.

Bright

Sep 15, 2018
I absolutely loved this game. It was so beautiful and the soundtrack was nuts. There's something about these Xenoblade games that keep me thinking about them long after finishing them. Kinda want to bust out the Wii U now.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade X has an amazing game loop. It's really the star of the show. As a game it's rewarding to play, but it really lacked that story element like you mentioned. I am excited to see what Monolithsoft does with this game design in the future, because they are very capable of a deep and powerful story. They are going to really blow us away in the future, and I can't wait to see it.

Jun 2, 2019
I loved how its almost unanimously agreed that nobody cared for the main plot but that the side content was fucking great. Because it is. I loved exploring, doing side quests, expanding the lore of the city and races, etc...

God I want to replay this so bad.

The greatest thing about this is that you can come back to the game any time if you ever leave it.

Also, best forced use of the gamepad for me aside of Splatoon. Necessary but unintrusive

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Xenoblade X is probably my favorite JRPG of all time. XB2 is probably in my Top 5 as well, and I'd say it paled in comparison. Especially when it came to the end/post game content. I'd buy a re-release on Switch in a heartbeat.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"Amazing" is a strong word. It was a great world to explore that felt like a surprisingly real and populated place, but almost every other aspect was a step backward from the first game. The story was pure sub-par anime series drek and the music was straight up embarrassing most of the time. Once I got the mech and realized it was just another layer of busywork to deal with in terms of upgrades and fuel, I pretty much stopped playing. It's a shame how the series seems to just be sliding steadily downhill from heights of the brilliant first game.

That said, I would like to see X get a Switch remaster just to save it from Wii U oblivion. I'd like to see every Wii U exclusive get that.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Gods no. Ultimately an RPG rests on the characters you interact with, and X has terrible dead eyed automatons with zero charm or personality. It's neglect of an actual storyline puts in Bethesda games category, only without the charm and detail in the world.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I played through this at release and again about a year and a half ago and couldn't get into it either time despite loving the other xenoblade games. This just isn't what I want from the series, although I did enjoy the exploration.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It was, still is, and will always be an amazing game. Just like Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. It desperately needs and deserves a second chance on the Switch. And a sequel of course.

While the side-quests, environments, and exploration are the best parts of the game, the main story, music, and even Tatsu get more hate than is really necessary. The main story is still pretty interesting, especially when we get that sequel. And still gives us some pretty interesting Xeno-lore. I would like it if they dropped the create a character and made it more story focused, but I don't mind how they tried to differentiate it from the other ones.

Let's hope we get a port eventually because I've been wanting to play through it again.

KywAPiV.jpg

qxEmgBZ.jpg

oRuf8QY.jpg

cGMq9Ip.jpg

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I enjoyed what I played of it including some of the cheesy music. My biggest gripe was the extremely small text that made it almost impossible to play in gamepad mode, that and Tatsu was such a let down after Rikki in Xenoblade 1.

One of my favourite moments was finally getting a skell and exploring areas that used to give me trouble.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Gods no. Ultimately an RPG rests on the characters you interact with, and X has terrible dead eyed automatons with zero charm or personality. It's neglect of an actual storyline puts in Bethesda games category, only without the charm and detail in the world.
Elma's awesome though, maybe one of the best characters in a while.

I somewhat like that she doesn't exactly have a development arc like you normally see, she was an adult, already awesome and stays often. They don't have to do some BS Lara Croft shit where they start her out meek and shit on her to the point she becomes strong, Elma's just strong from the get go.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I had my issues with it at the time, especially its UI being so tiny, how slowly it rolls everything out, and how nothing really came together in the end, but I do think back to it fondly. I respect how unapologetically kitschy it was, and somehow also crafted one of the most convincing alien feeling words. Sylvalum especially left an impression on me. I also love how your character can run faster than most vehicles in other games, and how great it felt in combination with its absurd moon jumping. I also really dug the NLA mediator stories. Zooming back in on these smaller social conflicts in the space-colony felt uncomfortably real, and the game didn't bother providing easy answers for most of them.

Unfortunately it was clear that this game was taking too long to make, and they were told to wrap things up. I don't blame the suits for making that call, because the WiiU needed it, and they were never going to recup any of its costs anyway. Still, it leaves me wondering what they were intending to do with this game if they could have kept going. So many plot points got dropped or went nowhere, the pacing was wack, and it all culminated in a dud of an ending with a needless cliffhanger. I also don't know if using the Xenoblade branding on it was the right call either. Should have been its own thing.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I loved it and I could never beat Mr. Lobster boss, which felt like the true final boss of my game.

I loved the story, the characters, the world and the Skells, the graphics and god why is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 such a downgrade in a lot of those areas?

And let's not forget the music. Some of you have me covered but we gotta hear my favorite track from the game too.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
The absolute BEST open world from any video game. The world design is beautiful in every detail, no stretch of land feels or looks like filler and there's layers too. Absolutely stunning.
The BEST map ever thank you Gamepad.
And the BEST story to be found within side-quests. It's a shame things could get extremely grindy to unlock more story content for side characters but the way it told some individual stories of a small group of humans leaving behind earth / loved ones and having to get used to living on a new planet and integrating with different alien species. It had some very human and note-worthy moments. The main story was a let-down though, but it seems obvious there was a much bigger story they wanted to tell that just didn't make it into the actual game.

I think about replaying it a lot, but I'm also hoping for a Switch port even if it means a nerfed map.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I never get the story complaints in this game. the story content is there, and maybe even more than other XC games, it is just not told to you in a linear fashion like other JRPGs, you have to do side quests and connect the dots yourself, which is fitting as an open world game. to me, XCX has a better story and characters than XC2 (though i like both).

It is the most ambitious Japanese game ever made. flying in this game for the first time over Mira is one of gaming's greatest moments.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
It realy was, one oft the best open world in my opinion. That feeling afer so many hours when you finally get your mech and flight license.

Unfortunately I no longer have my Wii U, switched it for a switch. I still have the special edition in my room and the world map on one wall. It was different and the soundtrack is not for everyone but damn was the exploration and combat fun. I wish more could play it given how bad the Wii U sold.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I love it. Probably even more than XBC2 (I definitely love it more than XBC1, though) but if they never go back to this series and actually give me some closure to that ending, I will curse it in hell forever!

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The complaints about the story missed the point of XCX.

It's main focus are the side quest as the humen race becomes hostile to the indigenous race on Mira and trying to cooperate with them.

Alsi the music is great as well as Black Tar being catchy.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Xenoblade games are just too messy for me and are in dire need of refinement. The large number of (often unexplained) systems tying into other systems, the copious amount of items/collectibles, the mass of (often uneventful) side quests... I love the scope and ambition but found X and 2 just utter messes to play.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Seriously though, X has some of the best environments I've ever seen in a game. Simply breathtaking!

And the OST is zomg-tier awesome, I love it so much.

Just the text is too damn small, it's a hard game to 'get into' as well, they could trim some of the unnecessary fat in the gameplay and really make it overall great.

XB1 is one of my most fav games of all time but I was actually disappointed in the announcement of its 'remake/remaster', I feel X needed the Switch port/remaster whatever more and was hoping for it first.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Great technical achievement and a massive, beautiful world to explore.

I just wish there was a better story and cast to actually motivate you to continue.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Probably my favorite open world artistically.

Here, have some cemu screenshots I took when I replayed it earlier this year.

HP1M7aC.jpg

7Z3aldd.jpg

AWgYbDM.jpg

Play this gem.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I loved seeing the open focus and focus on worldbuilding and secondary quest in a JRPG because it is a rare thing, it is more common in games like Skyrim.

I would love a second part if it kept this non-linear and experimental aspect.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Would love to see this on Switch, does need some QoL improvements though, like loading speeds and text size.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game quite a bit when I still had a WiiU. I liked it more than the original Xenoblade Chronicles, which was hyped up to be some amazing JRPG experience that I was ultimately meh on.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did own a wii u and the first thing what i did notice is the bad rap music. So i would like to give it another try, because that could change during the game. However, music is really important for me

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Soft said they WANTED to be more like Bethesda. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a product of wanting to be more like them.

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know, still have it sealed on my shelf. Should probably get to it, but I still have Xenoblade Chronicles to finish.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I bought a Wii U for that game alone, and then the OST, the artbook and two copies of it when it finally came out, and I regret absolutely nothing.

This game in unbelievably good.

I need more SciFi Xenoblade in my veins.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
The progression in traversal has never been done better in a game IMO.

I wish the structure of the story and some of the more annoying things that could've used quality-of-life improvements were better, but I still loved my time with it.