• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
giphy.gif

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Trolling
This thread will be almost as entertaining as the game.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm here for all the reasonable takes from people that were of course frequent posters in all the pre-release thread about the game.

All in the name of genuine interest for Xenoblade.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
A TL;DW would be appreciated :)

Not out of disrespect for DF, just don't want to watch any gameplay

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Early into the video, but DF stayed the resolution doesn't drop as much as it did in 2, which is great news to hear.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So yeah, the resolution is better than in XC2 although only slightly.

The biggest change is the sharpening which is the reason why the game looks much better in handheld mode than previous attempts (and this should have been obvious right from the beginning).

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I did quite enjoy it on the Wii, but I'm a little iffy on the approach they've taken with this remaster. This video is pushing me towards a purchase on this though.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
John seems to be largely positive on this version of the game, albeit a bit disappointed with the resolution considering the rest of the updates. The minor improvements over XBC2 are nice but it's true that they could (and should) have gone further in improving the overall IQ. Now I'm curious to see it for myself, hopefully it arrives early tomorrow.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm shocked how good the Wii version looked ... why did I forget it
Still getting the game on switch. I need that extra story and I love portable rpgs.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, the resolution is better than in XC2 although only slightly.

The biggest change is the sharpening which is the reason why the game looks much better in handheld mode than previous attempts (and this should have been obvious right from the beginning).

Great to have a reliable tech-source as DF confirming what many were saying prior to release
Can't wait to boot my game up!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, Xenoblade X was a better looking game. That game on Wii U was something special, they better not screw up the Switch port when it happens.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, his verdict seems to be about what I expected. It's a solid effort but falls short in a couple of areas, most notably the low rendering resolution, resulting in a blurry looking game.

Kinda wish they put a little more effort into this but it won't stop me from enjoying the game.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching right now, very curious what John thinks about it. And here's hoping this doesn't turn into a complete mess like the other thread. Lord that was embarrassing.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the Wii version of Xenoblade Chronicles for 120 hours on a 1080p plasma set. This is going to look worlds better to me. My copy is currently on its way via UPS!

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
They can say it's not a significant upgrade but I still think this version looks infinitely better than the original. Maybe it's just cause I vastly prefer the new character models. The old ones were so aesthetically unappealing.

Deleted member 35895

user requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Great video as always.

Loved the comparison between the chad 3DS moving trees and the virgin Switch static trees

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RIP trees.

Grass pop in part is sorta disappointing as well. IIRC the Wii version had NPCs in town pop in like crazy, I'd imagine that's better atleast.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Generally pretty good then and not the horror story the other thread suggested, but also not as good as you'd hope for is my takeaway.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting! Will watch after I finish work.
It's good though that it seems the resolution its a bit more consistent than Xeno 2 from some comments.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disappointing that resolution isn't improved too much but at least its somewhat more consistently close to 720 then 2. This thing will need my mclassics help I guess.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Ah so that's why some clips had messed up reflections, they were from handheld mode which ditches screen space reflections. Makes sense now.
Honestly I kinda don't get how they were expecting more, this is such a massive rework of the graphics, I certainly don't really have better remasters in mind.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I am a little disappointed that the XC2 engine is still causing performance issues. Though at the end of the day I played most of XC2 unpatched so I'll be fine playing this regardless.

Hopefully Monolith can eventually optimize the engine so it actually runs at native resolution.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm glad John was reasonable as always with his assessment of the game. It seems like a straight upgrade in every way except motion of the leaves on trees and, arguably, the faces on character models (personally think they're straight improved, but the comparison of the original's faces to Vagrant Story is valid).

Looks like people shouldn't cancel their preorders after all.