• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 28 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 48 3.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 383 28.1%
  • 85-89

Votes: 637 46.7%
  • 80-84

Votes: 209 15.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 35 2.6%
  • under 75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Probably a bit off-topic, but it seems like a good place to ask. I've never played this or the sequel, but will own both once this releases. Which game should I play first? I'm assuming this...?

Oct 27, 2017
The gaming landscape has changed a lot since 2012, so I'm thinking low to mid 80s (not speaking to the actual quality of the game, just how I think it will be received).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a bit off-topic, but it seems like a good place to ask. I've never played this or the sequel, but will own both once this releases. Which game should I play first? I'm assuming this...?
there's no "order" but you'll get more out of the lore if you go in numerical order (with future connected last, maybe)

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to go with an 89. Still a mastepiece of a game, but it might be dinged if it's handheld performance is shit.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

You can play either first but the latter half of XC2 (probably around chapter 7 and onwards) is so much better if you beat XC1 first.

Plus, XC2 has a more complex battle system which you might miss if playing XC1 second.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm confused here, did y'all actually play xenoblade 1 because its full of t&a. this game is not very conservative either

My point stands, I'm not even talking about Xenoblade (all things considered, with respect to Xenoblade, it's not anywhere close peak Nintendo sales numbers).

And yeah Xenoblade 1 is stupidly sexualized too. Never said otherwise. The robo-women have big jiggly tits in it. I love the game a lot but that's definitely a ""feature"" of it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think upper 80s is what it will end up at. I think people were lenient on XC2 performance because of when it came out in the Switch life cycle. We're too far in to be getting handheld performance like this from first party games. That being said... I'm super excited to play it in handheld lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The chronological downward trend of scores presented in the OP there confirms a 79 maximum score for Shulk's makeover

But then the other trend of the "85-89" nintendo bracket is a compelling counterplay

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've only played 2, but I'd say you can't go wrong with release order. So yeah, this one 1st probably
Yeah this one first. If you do, the second one will have added value.
Play DE first, then 2 and Torna, then come back to DE and play Future Connected.

This is on paper the "correct" order.
there's no "order" but you'll get more out of the lore if you go in numerical order (with future connected last, maybe)
You can play either first but the latter half of XC2 (probably around chapter 7 and onwards) is so much better if you beat XC1 first.

Plus, XC2 has a more complex battle system which you might miss if playing XC1 second.

Ok, thanks everyone!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
High 80s is my guess. Game is still solid but certain mechanics are antiquated after X/2 improved upon them.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
X and 2 certainly do some things better than XC - but those games have more hurdles to overcome too. As said, XC excels in its simplicity and is more accessible than it's sequels.

The scores in the OP would suggest there's been a significant dip in quality since the original. I don't think that's true, though I know some would disagree.

In regards to DE, I reckon we are in high 80s/early 90s territory.

Last edited:

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Looking forward to the reviews, should be interesting to read about the improvements.

For MC/OC score, I'm guessing high 80's, likely 88 or 89. I can't really see it breaking 90+ even though it fully deserves to, simply because reviewers are harsher on JRPG's than they were back in 2012 when XC was first reviewed, but it'll still review really well for the most part.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The original is like a 95-97 for me, but I'm not reviewing the Definitive Edition sadly

I could see the average score being high 80s entirely due to the performance, especially on handheld. Everything else looks like a marked improvement IMO unless Future Connected does something dumb.

Though to be honest I'm already not a fan of the Bionis still existing in the new world
At least from what we've seen in official trailers and stuff so far, Future Connected doesn't really change anything with respect to that spoiler.
The ruins of Bionis were always visible in the background of the ending cutscene. The chunk that you're visiting in Future Connected is actually just floating in the sky.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
XCDE deserves to beat its predecessor's MC score of 92 with how much they're fixing/adding, but generally reviews on JRPGs are much more strict nowadays, so I'm torn. From what we've seen, I think this deserves a 93-94, but I'm expecting it to review around 88-91.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Watching a stream and every single side quest is kill this or collect that. Is there some variety? Some added story, lore, what not? Some engaging stories? Instead of the tens of find a wedding ring or these two monsters are harassing the village quests I've seen thus far.
The kill/collect only quests don't have much to it but are fast and easy, just there to quickly raise a city's affinity.
The npc quests involves relationships between people and are more interesting even if you sometimes have to find something or kill.
It fleshes out the cities.
there's like 400 of them and they auto-complete (i think, i dont remember). they're really only there to help you level up, they're not as important as in other games. best way to do them is just literally accept everything and just play the game normally
That's just not true. You might bot like NPCs but they have some interesting relationships or events through quests.
Its absolutely not "400 fetch".
Litteraly ~80 (estimation) of them are, the rest is more or less involved in people's life quests that can be nice to follow.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'd love for it to score in the 90s with how great the original experience is but since it's a remaster I can't help but think it won't happen :/

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I expect 90+ due to the immense amount of praise the game has gotten even to this day.

Maybe I'm hyping it too much but this seems like an improvement in many ways over the original.

Remember people saying "but what if it was made with next gen consoles in mind?" Here you go.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hemmed & hawed a bit about it but I ended up going for the 85-89 tier though I'm hoping for 90-94

I have a feeling it'll be 88-91

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying 90-94. The game is one of the best RPGs of all time. Absolutely deserves this kinda acclaim. If my man Joker can do it then so can Shulk...I hope.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really feeling a 90+ MC! It's a great RPG with a beautiful world, deep mechanics, and a brilliant narrative hook, now with some of its rough edges sanded off.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade is an easy 10/10 game in my book, but DE being a rerelease will be partially judged based on what it is adding over the original. DE seems like a solid update but I don't know if it brings enough 'wow' factor that people would give it 10s. So I don't really see it hitting 90s metacritic.